Coil Help Smok AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumlegend

Jun 9, 2017
Ok... So I have had my smok for just over a week and had to replace the factory coil as it tasted like it was burning.

Primed the next stock coil, smoked it and it tasted burnt, washed it out and put it to the side, same again with next coil and tasted like burning again.

Cleaned the entire system this time and did a new coil and primed and left for 30 minutes and it was ok and it's fine. But my new coils are consuming a lot of liquid and it seems harder to vape.. like the air vents are slightly closed.

I have the x4 coils 0.15. I know they are bound to consume more due to the 4 coils but should it be harder to inhale? I'm not bothered about producing loads of clouds so would the 1.6 or 1.4 coils be sufficient?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
What delivery device?
I assume smok tfv8 / baby beast
Clone/counterfeit heads or authentic?
Pg/Vg ratio of liquids used?
What power range are you using?
Is the air flow open?
Is there something in the air flow chamber restricting air flow?

I am not aware of any 1.4Ω - 1.6Ω replacement heads for a smok tfv8/baby beast, if that's what delivery device you're asking about.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
smok al 85 = power device
baby beast = delivery device

Overly flavored, colored and or especially overly sweetened liquids tend to clog wicking material & gunk coils rapidly. This causes off, odd, funky or burnt tastes quickly / reduced head life.
Most folks use higher Vg liquids in subΩ 'tanks', like 30pg/70vg, doubt this has much if anything to do with your issues.

The smok 'tanks' are horrendously inefficient when it comes to e liquid and power consumption.
It is normal to use a bunch or liquid.

The only times I've heard of reduced airflow or tighter draw ( harder to inhale) is from use of counterfeit heads.

Re check the air tube, chimney & airflow chamber in base for obstruction.

Are you properly priming new / unused heads?
Drip drops of liquid onto all exposed areas of wicking material allowing time to soak in, then move to the next area & repeat until fully saturated.
Then install head in base, fill tank, let sit for a few minutes, take a few un powered primer puffs.
Start off at a low power setting & gradually work your way up until you find the power range you like best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I believe you are thinking about the .6 and .4 coils, not 1.6 and 1.4.

If anything, the lower resistance heads should have a slightly larger airflow opening at their base. Whether or not this is true in practice, not sure, and either way you can only open your AFC so far.

But yes, the .6s especially (also the .4s) will use less juice and can be vaped at a much more reasonable wattage, preserving battery life. I use the .6s a lot; if you don't care as much about the vapor production they're a fine option.

As has been mentioned, try to make sure you're getting replacements from a reputable seller to decrease the risk of inauthentic coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread