tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
I have two Coil-Masters(V2 and V3) and a Gizmo
The Coil-Master has more usable posts
The Gizmo only has one usable rod for me, the 1.5mm(1/16")
I wish it had a 2.5mm rod for 3mm READYxWICK because I like the tensioned coils it produces
I don't think the Coil-Master applies much tension at all while winding a coil
So I have problems with both of them, but still use them

Last edited:

sjoat

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Earth
I have two Coil-Masters(V2 and V3) and a Gizmo
The Coil-Master has more usable posts
The Gizmo only has one usable rod for me, the 1.5mm(1/16")
I wish it had a 2.5mm rod for 3mm READYxWICK because I like the tensioned coils it produces
I don't think the Coil-Master applies much tension at all while winding a coil
So I have problems with both of them, but still use them
Same, except I don't have the Coil-Master. I'm trying to find a local place that sells pliable steel rods in different diameters so I can bend my own rods for the gizmo. Sigh

Reactions: tobarger

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I have several coiling jigs I bought, including the GIZMO (was worthless for my uses when i got it, still is); a CoilMaster (not my thing either), many others of various designs that make coils with various results. I don't use any of them complete, but have borrowed the short forms from some of them for mounting coils. Hand wrapping coils on forms worked just fine for me from the start for building any kind of coil, still does so is what I prefer. My wrapping forms of choice are anything that is a usable diameter for the different coils I build from things found around the house & shop... metal, wood or man made materials. Their cost... $0.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Same, except I don't have the Coil-Master. I'm trying to find a local place that sells pliable steel rods in different diameters so I can bend my own rods for the gizmo. Sigh

If you find anything good on Earth that sells online let us know in this thread

Reactions: sjoat

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

If you have a welding shop in your area, they will likely have TIG welding rod or brazing rod; 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8". If you ask nice, they will probably give you a piece or two of each, for free.

Reactions: sjoat

sjoat

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Earth
If you find anything good on Earth that sells online let us know in this thread
Haha.

I'm so lazy that I'll probably take a gizmo rod to this place that does "precision bending and steel fabrication", and ask them to replicate it for me in different sizes. Probably been found and posted by someone already but if I find something I'll definitely post

edit:

One thing I did notice (again I'm sure it's been posted before) is that Artistic Wire does have different sized rods for the different jigs (Deluxe, Econo, etc).

Tools and Jigs (ctrl+f "rods")

So if you have $ to spend go for it. Or even contact them directly and ask for just the rods

Last edited:
Reactions: tobarger

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I bought 2.5mm rods on eBay and bent it for the Coil Gizmo. New K s Round Brass Rod 2 5mm Diameter 4 9864 | eBay

And for one very close to 2mm I used an old regular wire coat hanger.

Those take care of all my coil size needs for the Coil Gizmo. I really prefer it for making tensioned coils.

Reactions: Danrogers

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
,,,, Hand wrapping coils on forms worked just fine for me from the start for building any kind of coil, still does so is what I prefer. My wrapping forms of choice are anything that is a usable diameter for the different coils I build from things found around the house & shop... metal, wood or man made materials. Their cost... $0.

Same here. I learned old school hand wrapping way before hearing of either of these tools. My little homemade wrapping tool works just fine for my needs. :)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Both the gizmo and the coil master work fine for most applications. You prolly don't need two.

The only issue with the gizmo, as has been stated, is that there's really only one rod that's usable for coils, but it's fine unless you want to experiment with coil diameters or have specific needs for wicking (e.g., 3mm RxW). Some folks also use piano wire with the gizmo to get larger diameters.

After some trial, if the gizmo doesn't turn your crank (see what I did there?), try a coil master.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Wow am I ever surprised, I expected the coil master would win hands down, after watching Russ's review of the Coil Master I had some doubts about using the (1.5mm rod ) Gizmo. I spent a while last year reading/questioning about tensioned micro coils and I thought they had been made redundant by the CM. SuperXDrifter has been a huge influence on me and many others and he is using the CM. I agree the big drawback of the Gizmo is the fact you only have on usable rod, perhaps I will try and find some different size rods myself and continue with the TMC.

Is there a noticeable difference in the vape between the two coiling systems?

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
Have basically a lot of coiling tools/gizmo's including the above mentioned. The Coil master takes a few coils to get use to, especially if dealing with 29g or higher (thinner) wire (have to move the turning screw in the inner hole). You may have some of those tools already, including the resistance meter. I found some of the tools that came with the coil master kit could be better, e.g. scissors, needle nose pliers, and cutter. If you have some of the tools already, the coil master rods are enough instead of investing in the kit. Otherwise, the kit is worth it, IMO.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I've had both, and I got rid of my gizmo after playing with the coil master kit (I got the knock-off kit from RTD Vapor, labeled as a Kuro, but it is more like the coil master).

I did find some steel rods on Amazon for more usable sizes on the gizmo, but not worth the trouble after trying the coil master.

I find that with the coil master, I can make more even, consistent coils that need little to no fiddling once mounted on an atty.

Does one make for better vape quality over the other? That's up to the user. If you can make great, consistent coils with the gizmo, then you'll be fine.
For me, I never seemed to be able to apply consistent tension to the coils on the gizmo. The coil master eliminated my problems here.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I know Russ likes the coil master and the other thing he has now to wrap coils haha.
I use the Artistic Gizmo for my Reo and just hand wrap on screwdrivers for my other stuff.
I never wanted the coil master after seeing a lot people do videos on it, it just didn't interest me. Plus on a Reo I can go months on coils because unflavored is dedicated to my Reo's and it doesn't destroy coils like flavors do haha.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Another vote for the coil master. I haven't used the gizmo, decided against it after seeing Russ say that it's difficult to keep a consistent amount of tension, which is the whole point of a tensioned coil. Coil master, plenty of sizes on the rods, the newer versions are marked with the sizes. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Knock out coils in a minute or less after just a tad bit of practice. Use an easy touch, don't apply much if any pressure, just lightly turn the cap. As to the kit, if you need an ohm meter especially the kit might be worth it, just see how much of that stuff you'd actually use all the time, then price those things against the price of the kit. If you have an ohm meter, the kit likely wouldn't be worth it. can't wait til you get your Reos. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread