Coil metal sticking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

theawesomeguy15

Jun 9, 2016
Hey guys! I feel like I have a special problem. I have a couple of e cigs, one of them is a Kangertech evod. I noticed one of my tanks had a scrambly feeling when I screwed it in, then the battery started blinking. I checked the coil and noticed 2 places where metal is kinda sticking out. (I live in Norway where e cigarettes finally was made legal 1 week ago, so no store has had the time to import yet) Due to this I have to order online or buy at the Swedish border (Where they only have one cheap crappy brand) that's why I have to try to fix as many as I can!
Thank you in advance!
20160609_104506.jpg

That is how those coils are made. If the legs stick out too far it could short the coil. You should be able to snip the wires off very close to the rubber insulator with fingernail clippers.

If you need to make them last you can rebuild these heads with your own cotton and wire. It is not too hard and you might find it fun. This video will show you how, and will also explain why those wires are there and what they are doing:

Edited to add: I think the 1/16th inch coil size she mentions will be about 1.5mm. She puts it on that base adapter in order to check resistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey guys! I feel like I have a special problem. I have a couple of e cigs, one of them is a Kangertech evod. I noticed one of my tanks had a scrambly feeling when I screwed it in, then the battery started blinking. I checked the coil and noticed 2 places where metal is kinda sticking out. (I live in Norway where e cigarettes finally was made legal 1 week ago, so no store has had the time to import yet) Due to this I have to order online or buy at the Swedish border (Where they only have one cheap crappy brand) that's why I have to try to fix as many as I can!
Thank you in advance!
20160609_104506.jpg

Hi theawesomeguy15. Welcome to the ECF.

Sometimes the Makers of Coils clip the Wires leaving a little Excess. And then Bend the Wire so it is Relatively Flush. This can be a Problem if the Positive Wire touches anything that it Shouldn't. Causing a Short.

I would suggest getting a pair Precision "Flush Cut" Wire Cutters...

MTC_japan_full_flush_cutter_pliers.jpg

And then Clip the Wire as close to the Coil Body as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread