Coil Ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmusich

Sep 21, 2017
Orlando
I will be building my first coil tomorrow; I have asked a few questions here and watched a ton of video about coil building. Now the one thing they always talk about but don’t explain is you targeted ohm. From what I saw a lot like the coils at .4-1.0 ohm builds. They don’t tell you how you determine what ohm you want to build, that seems to be a predetermined value. Does your mod, tank, dual coil or single coil come into play. I also saw that they said beginners should start above 1.0 in there builds. Just wondering what factors go into what ohms you want you coil at.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I will be building my first coil tomorrow; I have asked a few questions here and watched a ton of video about coil building. Now the one thing they always talk about but don’t explain is you targeted ohm. From what I saw a lot like the coils at .4-1.0 ohm builds. They don’t tell you how you determine what ohm you want to build, that seems to be a predetermined value. Does your mod, tank, dual coil or single coil come into play. I also saw that they said beginners should start above 1.0 in there builds. Just wondering what factors go into what ohms you want you coil at.
Hi T,
What wire do you have?
Tell us about your mod and rebuildable.

Cheers
I

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
The nano I will be doing a single coil and a dual coil on the 24
I would try:
2.5mm to 3.5mm ID and 6 or 7 wraps.
Try each wire size and ID but stay at 6 or 7 wraps.
Adjust the coil position higher or lower to optimize air flow and flavour.
"ohms" is not so important with a regulated device.
Coiling is the easy part, it's wicking that can be the bugbear.

Best of luck.
I
Each wire size (AWG) has a SET resistance per length of wire.
resistance.jpg

Reactions: Beamslider

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Thanks, was looking at keeping it 5-7 wraps, so keep tinkering with to get those amount of wraps on my coil and that will give me my ohms. Does this change if you use a Clapton wire
Yes, but steamengine has clapton wire as an option. You need to know the gauges used to input there

Reactions: Izan

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
smoant battlestar;
You have a regulated device. Forget about the ohms, for now. Think about coil mass, and surface area. Thicker wires have more surface area than an equivalent length of thinner wire, which means they have more contact with the wet wicks and will produce more vapor when they get hot. However, they also have more mass which means it will take more power to get them hot, take longer to get there, and stay hot for longer after you release the button (aka they will have longer "ramp up"/"ramp down" times). To reduce coil mass but keep the same or similar surface area, you can use a longer length of thinner wire. This will have a higher resistance than the shorter, thicker wire, but you're using a regulated device, so it doesn't really matter, since you can adjust the power level to whatever you want (within the device's limitations, obviously), regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread