Coil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
Ah well..when does it taste awful? Thats subjective.

Heads/coils can last a bit if you dont have super sweet juices, apparently. Or if you dont take massive chain vapes all day. I do both lol.

So, my stock Kanger heads got really nasty fast, and I found some videos about how to make my own coils/put in wicks. The result? Way better vapes.

And less burnt sweatsock taste. EwwwWww.

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
Typically coils are good for 1-3 weeks depends on your use. I say when the taste gets different from what your use too. Also recommend cleaning your tank once a week by soaking in hot water for 5-10 min and let dry. Clean on then next day clean other so your not without a tank.

I just dump my juice in my tank back into the same bottle, then fill with new juice. Within 2-3 hits the new juice will take over if they are strong flavor juices. Mix and match similar flavors, so no off flavors. I mostly do fruits and found some good combos with going about thus way.

numus

Nov 15, 2013
Florida
Thanks for all the info... I have only had this for 1-2 weeks and only had 2 bottles of juice (ice extreme and apple) that are both pretty weak (local shop wasn't that great... just ordered 4 different 5ml bottles from vapedojo and will see how that goes). So the general consensus is to just clean the coils pretty well and once it starts to taste funky, time to change...

Any link to the rebuilt heads that fit the kanger EVOD? I really am enjoying the EVOD tho, def recommend it to anyone new (like I am) because it is pretty fool proof.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
yah know you get the coil from the vaper man, some they aint no good, yeah uh huh ive even had some from the vaper man right out of the box they dont work, no no they dont. some time you wind one it work great, some time not so much, it depend on the coil, it depend, but when the taste is bad, or you burning the grommet, you got to pay the vaper man, or make you own coil, thats right you do

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wasatch mtns
Thanks for all the info... I have only had this for 1-2 weeks and only had 2 bottles of juice (ice extreme and apple) that are both pretty weak (local shop wasn't that great... just ordered 4 different 5ml bottles from vapedojo and will see how that goes). So the general consensus is to just clean the coils pretty well and once it starts to taste funky, time to change...

Any link to the rebuilt heads that fit the kanger EVOD? I really am enjoying the EVOD tho, def recommend it to anyone new (like I am) because it is pretty fool proof.

Don't have a link but there are tutorials here on ecf and a bunch of youtube vids. Look up evod/protank, they are same process for both

I may have misunderstood, you would have to rebuild the heads yourself

Last edited:

DireHavok

Oct 11, 2013
brockton
You can go on youtube and search Rip Tripper I know he has a protank head re-build video. so it would more or less be the same way to build an evod head.
Don't have a link but there are tutorials here on ecf and a bunch of youtube vids. Look up evod/protank, they are same process for both

I may have misunderstood, you would have to rebuild the heads yourself

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA

look in my blog, there is a post about what I found (the video) and what tools I piled up...I redo my Kanger Mini Protank II heads.

Its not a true micro coil (since its wrapped around a 2mm drill bit) but it does nicely. When I get em right its warm vapes and usually no gurgles lol. Im still learning.

For wick I got sterile cotton balls from CVS...a small amount off of one goes a LONG way.

Kanthal wire (A-1 grade) is all over the place...lemme see here..101vape has some for a decent price if i remember right. I suggest 32 gauge.

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wasatch mtns
I am confused.. in RiP Trippers he compresses it while other people put a wick in and say the coils shouldn't touch either other.

Not sure the video you watched, but if he compressed it he was probably making a microcoil. Not sure technical name of coil where the wraps don't touch, but I think thats more about being uniform to prevent hotspots(?, not exactly sure). A lot of people are doing microcoils in their tank rebuilds. IMO- microcoils are easier to learn, as they are more forgiving.

Bigwhiterabbitt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
N. Ireland
With the Evod heads the rubber gromit can get clogged up too tightening up the draw too much to be usable but a quick wash in warm water solves that issue. Re coiling thems easier if you can get your hands on some pre made res/no res wires. Your ohms are gonna be pretty much spot on every time, you get the full heating effect right where you want it and theres less chance of that burning rubber taste because the legs of the wire that contact the rubber gromit don't heat up as much as your actual coil..

jffvera

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
New York
I am confused.. in RiP Trippers he compresses it while other people put a wick in and say the coils shouldn't touch either other.

If you are doing a traditional coil build. Where you wrap the coil around a wick and only do 4 or 5 turns you don't want the coils to touch, yet you want them to be evenly spaced. This can be a bit of a task given the small area the coil has to go in on the protank heads. The pro with this method is that it's easier to use 2mm or even 3mm silica if you want, and with a slightly thicker wick I have found it easier to regulate juice flow and haven't had any problem with gurgling or flooding. The con is it's going to take you awhile to get good at wrapping even coils that fit in the protank head.

The method shown in the Rip Trippers build are micro coils or nano coils depending on which video you watched. The method for both is the same, the only difference is the size of the object the coils are wrapped on and how many turns. The pros are it's much easier to wrap on 5/64th nail or 18 gauge needle than it is to try to wrap on wick pressed up against a sowing needle, so it's easier to get correct size neatly wrapped coils, the diameter is small and they are touching so you end up with a tiny coil and lots of space to work with in the cup. The con I have found is that getting the right amount of cotton for a wick takes more trial and error than just wrapping the coils on a piece of silca wick.

numus

Nov 15, 2013
Florida

numus

Nov 15, 2013
Florida
Well I just purchased 32 gauge kanthal... did I just make a mistake to make a microcoil (should i have gotten 30 gauge?) I have read 32 gauge is better for an EVOD because of the small space. I am just going to use my greenlee to measure resistance. I am also just going to use cotton without a flavor wick...

Hoping this goes okay and I dont have to buy a different gauge wire (if anyone can help me out if I made a mistake on the gauge I can change the order before he ships).

Also how many wraps and what size should I wrap on for the microcoil to be about 2 ohm for an evod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread