Coil # vs. Wire Guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Harrisburg (area), PA, USA
So much has changed since my falling off the wagon a yr or two ago, including this site. I want to get serious about quitting big tobacco again. Before the fall, I bought some RDAs I really liked (A6 I think they are, will call it that fwd) and recently bought some Lemos after some re-research.

Lemos have a bigger deck than the A6, so MY QUESTION:
Same batteries, 3 coil vs 6 coil and same ohm on both, is there a difference? I ask because less coils will fit better in the A6 than the RTAs. Will less coils in one make a difference for more in another?

I figure the heat/power will be the same but not sure if the number of coils affects anything, except maybe flavor. Battery life? Heat? Throat hit? juice usage?

Not trying to chase clouds, not trying to vape for fun, just trying to quit smoking.... Thanks in advance!

BTW If it makes any difference, I have the iTaste 2.0 (I think), VAMMO v5 with 18650, and EGO twists. Plis some mod i bought out of curiosity, but don't plan to use much. I know, all old stuff.

mindriot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Dundee, Scotland
I figure the heat/power will be the same but not sure if the number of coils affects anything, except maybe flavor. Battery life? Heat? Throat hit? Juice usage?
From the description by 3 coil vs 6 coil you are referring to the number of winds/wraps a single bit of wire makes to form a coil shape. Assuming that is the case the power should be the same, if the resistance is the same the applying the same voltage to each coil will yield the same power and unless you adjust the power settings on your device due to any other factors then you will get the same battery life.

I'm not a physics master but I believe thinner wire gauges heat up and cool faster than thicker wire gauges. If you go to Coil wrapping and punch in your resistance, the inner diameter of your coils, the type of wire you used and then change the wire gauges for without adjusting the other stuff then it will give you an indication of heat flux in the result, higher is hotter. You also have different surface properties for the air traveling over the coil and also the juice in the coil. These will vape differently but exactly how they will be I'm not completely sure. I'm inclined to think that the design of the two different devices will have more of a difference and a different coil might suit one better than another.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Fewer wraps of the same wire gauge will yield lower resistance, which will net higher watts at the same voltage, and a hotter vape at the same watts. So you will at the very least probably want to turn the power down for the ones with fewer wraps (or, alternatively, if those are what you're using now, you'll want to turn it up for use with the six wraps). If that doesn't get you sorted out, then you may need to experiment with different wire sizes and/or coil diameters, to get the experience you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread