Coils, Nauty, not getting it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
A quick search on vapersearch shows the following:

Sun Rays Vape & Glass
808-339-0421

1993 S. Kihei Rd. #14 Hawaii United States

Island Vapor Lahaina
509-280-5078 or 509-868-9889

Lahaina Cannery Mall. 1221 Honoapiilani Hwy. #K4 Lahaina, HI

Island Vapor Kihei
509-280-5078 or 509-868-9889

Kihei Kalama Villiage. 1941 S. Kihei Rd #i4. Kihei, HI

Booyaa Vapor’s
(808) 841-7833

500 Alakawa St, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States

and about a dozen others

You can find the site here

Reactions: jwbnyc

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
QC from china isn't so bad that person would burn through 20 coils in a night...
When I use a ProVari 2.5 I run at 4.2v with 1.8Ω coils.
A burnt coil is either caused by too much voltage or too little wicking.
Is your airflow WIDE OPEN because that will absolutely slow down wicking, especially on a nautilus tank.
Useful stuff to know: The more full your tank is, the slower it wicks... counter intuitive, I know.
More Airflow = less wicking... tighten it up and the wicking will improve.
If you ARE burning coils, turn the voltage down.
Has the juice maker changed the PG/VG ratio?

Zen with all due respect, I think the problem the lady is having is 100% her coils and the Nautilus tanks, rather than how she is using them. I had exactly the same problem for months and finally ditched almost all of my Nautilus tanks for Joyetech Mega Ones. Those work fine except they get way too hot and they leak when going from cold AC to hot Texas heat. Then I tried Kanger Minis with bell caps with the new Kanger 1.8ohm coils. Worked great temp wise, but couldn't take the AC to heat either. After that and seeing your interview on Vape Miser, I took a chance on a Kabuki and found heaven. Not only is the taste much better, but the coils last forever and don't leak all over my hand like a melting ice cream cone or all down my leg when in my pocket where it looks like something else. I might be 60, but I'm not quite ready for Depends.

So for my six P3's I bought four Kabuki tanks and four Nautilus tanks in the P3 mode. Guess what? Coils from the exact same pack are lasting just about forever in your tanks and about a tank and half in the Nautilus. Same wattage, same juice--at least most of the time. Right now I'm working on coils bought directly from Aspire in China, ProVape and Sweet-Vapes. Performance is the same. Therefore, if we get the base issue worked out with the one Dan is sending, then I'm off to order four more Kabukis and the Nautilus tanks are going on the museum shelf with about five grand of other mods and tanks that just don't quite cut it, whereas the P3's and the Kabukis do.

I'm lucky in that I can afford (barely) four more Kabuki tanks. This lady is not, and I really, really feel her pain. I do have on order a couple of the Avid Vapor coils and a pack from that joint in CA. Those might or might not work better than the stock Nautilus coils. But that doesn't help her right at this second, and I wish we could do something for her. She seems like a very nice person, and I don't want her, anymore than anyone else, going back to the cigs. I sure wish there was something we could do to help her. I've been pulling what's left of my hair out trying to come up with a solution. And I just don't have one.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
Hey yall, aloha. I have posted before and am a 7 Provari owner. I vape on 4 minis Naughties, and 2.5 with the big batteries. For lack of a better term. I am starting to freak out....I have all Aspire Nautilus tanks. Mostly Minis, 2 fulls.
I have 1.8 ohm coils, and they are dying....in a few puffs.

I cannot get through even half a tank without my coils dying.

My point of this all was to quit smoking. I now have to but 5 coils to make it through 2 days, with my rotation of juices and devices. I am spending more on this than smoking Marbs. I am getting sad.

I have all 2.5s. And naughty tanks. It was never like this before. I do clean them. I am out of coils and just got 4 new ones tonight. My BM is stunned that I get worried about this...said they should last weeks. They last half a tank.

I vape at 4.8v

Help :/

Tumb, can you describe what exactly to you mean about your coils dying? As you can see from my message to Zen that I've had/have a similar problem. In my case, when the vape starts tasting sorta nasty and I unscrew the coil, it will have a nasty looking drop of juice stuck to the bottom of the pin. Then if I swab out the well or air chamber of the Nautilus I get lots of juice on the Q-Tip. And while the base is off and the tank upside down I can see soot at the bottom of the chimney, which I can remove with another Q-Tip. Are you finding something similar?

And while I haven't see much discussion here on ECF regarding this issue, there are tons of posts on the Aspire forums. We are not alone. And Aspire doesn't seem to have a fix in the works. For most people the problem began when Aspire switched the wick from ceramic to cotton.

I have theory that at least part of this is due to high VG juices. My all-day vape is 50/50, and I see the problem less with this juice than some of the other ones that are 30/70 or whatever. Even though neither you nor I are vaping at high wattage or voltage, I'm thinking the Nautilus was designed with higher PG juices in mind. I have a couple of 70/30 PG/VG juices that I'm going to try when they've steeped a bit more.

As for saving money over smoking, I don't think you can at the level of ProVaris and quality tanks--unless one buys Kayfuns and DIY juices. Maybe one can if one using one of the Halo systems, but not where we are. I know I was spending about $80 a week smoking Black and Mild cigars for years. I was hoping to cut that in half by going to vaping in April of 2014. No chance. I've spent way more--and a lot of it stupidly. But I do feel better not smoking, and I have had a lot of fun.

Do whatever you need to do, even if it's buying some junk at the gas station, but don't go back to the smokes! Let me know if you figure anything out, and I'll do the same. Take care.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
@JUMA55 , reading your post a thought came to me. I am using 65 Pg 35 Vg DIY and having zero issues with the Nautilus coils. If what you think is true, perhaps you could thin your higher Vg juice with a little bit of distilled water, maybe try like3%- 5%. This may help it to wick better in these coils.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
Sounds like you need to get the nic level back up a bit, maybe to 12... then pull the power down.

For research purposes I put a Nautilus coil in a nautilus tank today, set it to 4.8v and killed the coil in a half an hour.

Zen, I'm running all my P3's, regardless of juice ratio, at 3.6 to 3.8 volts. And the coils in your tanks last almost forever, not so in the Nautilus tanks. I wish I knew why. As much as I love the Kabukis there are times when I want a larger capacity tank. And I'll give up a bit a flavor for the larger tank.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
@JUMA55 , reading your post a thought came to me. I am using 65 Pg 35 Vg DIY and having zero issues with the Nautilus coils. If what you think is true, perhaps you could thin your higher Vg juice with a little bit of distilled water, maybe try like3%- 5%. This may help it to wick better in these coils.

Enaud, I hadn't though of that. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
It doesn't take much DW to dramatically improve wicking. As Duane said, 3%-5% will do the trick, and it doesn't seem to negatively effect vapor production at all, if anything, better wicking improves it.

Reactions: Ipster

Mommay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2014
Arkansas
I've had that problem with stock coils before. When I'm vaping, I'm chain vaping and they get really hot and foul faster - so I try and keep 2 set-ups handy and alternate them. I've also gotten bad batches. But ordering from a different supplier or even re-ordering from my normal supplier a month or so later (allowing them time to receive different shipments from China) has resulted in coils that work as expected. I seldom run a nauti coil that high, but do other Aspire coils- I do try to break them in, like I would an older type atomizer> I start the voltage off lower and after a few hits, bump it up a bit at a time until I reach my desired power level. I totally agree about thinning your liquids a tiny bit. I hope you get some resolution. It can be frustrating as all get-out when things dont work as designed.

Reactions: element77

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
If you have a multimeter, check the actual output of your mod.

Never used a provari myself - but 4.8v seems pretty high to me. Right now, doing 3.7v on 2.1 ohm with an istick and an iclear30. At 4.0 I won't see my monitor anymore...

Try lowering the voltage some, maybe them coils aren't capable of handling 4.8 ...
ignore this. You know the Provaris are hitting right. You'd be getting error codes and your not.
My best suggestion honestly to ask if you're using a dedicated juice supplier, DIY, and what would happen if you just for the sake of it (means waiting till you buy another box of coils though) try a 70/30 PG/VG/ brace yourself-T.H. take it slow and low.
4.8 across the board does seem a wee bit high but shouldnt blow the coils.
Again, juice pending, I'd try some e liguid that's meant to vape cool and low.

sounds fishy, sound like its also worthwhile to just for the heck of it try another supplier. Im not saying your B*&M would be aware of this, but being in the islands over 5 decades, I know how vulnerable businesses are to fakes coming in. They are good fakes too. They're always going to pass the naked eye test.
You're just going to have to take my word/experience on this I fear. (1/2 Hawaii-1/2 Hong Kong) parts of Asia can
clone anything, and you wont necessarily see it.

Hang in There, keep us posted, please. WIth all the gear Im heart broken that you cant gerry rig something up
to get you through the weekend.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
I prime. A lot . And coils are confirmed at 1.8ohm. Nothing is different about anything about my routine. I Provape device. Nautilus tanks, and same juice from Maui. I am baffled and burnt :(
Sorry Maui, I suspect theres a prob. in the liquid.

Reactions: jwbnyc

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
As for saving money over smoking, I don't think you can at the level of ProVaris and quality tanks--unless one buys Kayfuns and DIY juices.

While I agree with the majority of your post the statement quoted above isnt even remotely true.

Buying quality ALWAYS pays off in the long run.

Ive been using my Provari all day, every day for three years now. Compare my 120 dollar initial cost to someone who's bought a cheap 40 dollar mod and has had to replace it every 6 months for the past 3 years...or against someone who buys a new mod every few months simply because they want to.

120 < 40 x 6 < 100 x 6

If thats still not enough to convince you

Look at my signature below.

If you subtract 2000 dollars for the juice and accessories Ive bought over the course of three years (and thats a very high estimate) Ive still saved over 7k by not smoking.

Two things have helped in that regard over the years:

I dont currently suffer from nor have I ever had shinyitis.

and I was lucky enough to find a system that worked almost flawlessly for my style of vaping very early on.

OP stick with the Provari and the higher end tanks, they will pay off in the long run.

Sorry you are having the problems with the coils but I am confident you'll find a solution soon. And just remember even if you do relapse and have a cigarette its not the end of the world. Every cigarette you dont smoke is a victory. Use it as a learning tool. figure out what went wrong and work to change it for your next attempt.

Two traits that all successful people share?

They learn from adversity and never stop trying.

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
ecigavenue? That is where I buy all my coils, because even out here in the middle of nowhere, theyr are here in 3 days. Have the scratchers inserts and they are real.

It is me. I am doing something wrong. I need to know what.....this is killing me not only finanvially, but iny my heart and mind...isn't this why we quit to begin with? :( :/
Try starting out at 3.8 Volt on a new coil. Vape at 3.8 volt for a little while till the coil breaks in. I think you are running them too hot and burning them up.I usually run the 1.8Ω coils at 3.8-4.2 volt, but I always start out at 3.8 and stay there for a while. Hope this helps...Good luck to you.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
Try starting out at 3.8 Volt on a new coil. Vape at 3.8 volt for a little while till the coil breaks in. I think you are running them too hot and burning them up.I usually run the 1.8Ω coils at 3.8-4.2 volt, but I always start out at 3.8 and stay there for a while. Hope this helps...Good luck to you.
Great Point!!!

Kinda surprised no one made it earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MsLoud

drjitterbomb

Account closed on request
Sep 28, 2009
Washington
Background: I just cracked open my 100th 5 pack of nautilus coils. I vape 50/50 nic base and I use the ceramic based 1.8 ohm coils and the 1.6 ohm SOCC coils. I run 1.8's on my p3 and 1.6's on my p2.5's. p3 = p3 nautilus and p2.5 = regular nautilus. I use the lattice replacement tanks instead of glass stock tanks. It sounds like you are buying authentic ones (always check before you crack one open) so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Even if they are "defective" you should still be able to eek more than a day out of one. I have followed the exact same method with both perfect authentics and functionally defective / bad ones and my coils have always lasted a week or more. The coil in my p3 nautilus has been working great for nearly a month now. Your mileage may vary depending on the thickness and additive content of your juice but less than a day sounds like a process problem not a hardware problem.

My steps to ensuring good coil health are as follows. I have never burnt a coil out from the get go and every coil I have ever ran has lasted AT LEAST a week.

1. Install coil into base.
2. Drop 5 drops of liquid into the coil. Ensure the airflow control ring is closed.
3. Fill the tank and screw in the coil.
4. Wait 5 minutes.
5. Turn your vape down to 3V or 6W, depending on how you set your power level.
6. Open airflow to smallest setting and take 5 long slow drags.
7. Open the airflow to the largest setting and take 5 2 second draws.
8. Increase the power level by .5V or 1W until you hit your desired power level. 5 drags with the AFC wide open each time.

This ensures a properly primed and broken in coil at your desired power level. I have done exactly the above every time I have used a new coil and I have never burnt one myself. It might be a bit overkill but a few minutes of time vs another coil makes sense in the long run.

That being said, I have pushed the 1.8ohm coils all the way up to 18w without them burning up. I don't trust anything more than 50VG in the nautilus coils. Every time I tried a higher VG% I ended up with dry hits. I have never been able to get a true indication of what the exact wicking medium type is in the 1.8ohm non-VOCC coils but it looks and acts like silica to me. They handle the heat of higher wattages a bit better than the VOCC ones do. The 1.6ohm VOCC coils are IMO slightly more flavorful and perform a bit better at middling voltages (4.4 is where I keep mine). I run my p3 locked at 13w with 2 boost using the 1.8ohm silica based coils and they behave as expected (very well). It sounds like you are just running them way to hot out of the gate. You need to bring them up to your power level slowly. You also can try the cisco spec HH coils if you want to do a side by side against the coils.

Just for sanity, I would also check your tank seals and seating. The nautilus tanks don't maintain their vacuum pressure as well as some other tanks do (such as the beautiful kabuki tanks). Ensure your tanks seals are free of nicks and cuts as well as making sure you are not overtightening the tanks. Everything should be finger tightened and easy to take apart. This will ensure you aren't breaking that vacuum and causing a pressure imbalance. The system itself is pretty simple - you just need to maintain it.

All in all, the nautilus is a great tank with QA problems. If you can work around that, you will be OK. I am looking to upgrade to kabuki's in one shot once I have the money together as the ability to lock airflow settings, quality materials, and the drip tip design put it in a different category than the mass produced nautilus. That doesn't mean I won't keep my nautilus tanks around as backups because they are great tanks - you just need to work through a process with them.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
Background: I just cracked open my 100th 5 pack of nautilus coils. I vape 50/50 nic base and I use the ceramic based 1.8 ohm coils and the 1.6 ohm SOCC coils. I run 1.8's on my p3 and 1.6's on my p2.5's. p3 = p3 nautilus and p2.5 = regular nautilus. I use the lattice replacement tanks instead of glass stock tanks. It sounds like you are buying authentic ones (always check before you crack one open) so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Even if they are "defective" you should still be able to eek more than a day out of one. I have followed the exact same method with both perfect authentics and functionally defective / bad ones and my coils have always lasted a week or more. The coil in my p3 nautilus has been working great for nearly a month now. Your mileage may vary depending on the thickness and additive content of your juice but less than a day sounds like a process problem not a hardware problem.

My steps to ensuring good coil health are as follows. I have never burnt a coil out from the get go and every coil I have ever ran has lasted AT LEAST a week.

1. Install coil into base.
2. Drop 5 drops of liquid into the coil. Ensure the airflow control ring is closed.
3. Fill the tank and screw in the coil.
4. Wait 5 minutes.
5. Turn your vape down to 3V or 6W, depending on how you set your power level.
6. Open airflow to smallest setting and take 5 long slow drags.
7. Open the airflow to the largest setting and take 5 2 second draws.
8. Increase the power level by .5V or 1W until you hit your desired power level. 5 drags with the AFC wide open each time.

This ensures a properly primed and broken in coil at your desired power level. I have done exactly the above every time I have used a new coil and I have never burnt one myself. It might be a bit overkill but a few minutes of time vs another coil makes sense in the long run.

That being said, I have pushed the 1.8ohm coils all the way up to 18w without them burning up. I don't trust anything more than 50VG in the nautilus coils. Every time I tried a higher VG% I ended up with dry hits. I have never been able to get a true indication of what the exact wicking medium type is in the 1.8ohm non-VOCC coils but it looks and acts like silica to me. They handle the heat of higher wattages a bit better than the VOCC ones do. The 1.6ohm VOCC coils are IMO slightly more flavorful and perform a bit better at middling voltages (4.4 is where I keep mine). I run my p3 locked at 13w with 2 boost using the 1.8ohm silica based coils and they behave as expected (very well). It sounds like you are just running them way to hot out of the gate. You need to bring them up to your power level slowly. You also can try the cisco spec HH coils if you want to do a side by side against the coils.

Just for sanity, I would also check your tank seals and seating. The nautilus tanks don't maintain their vacuum pressure as well as some other tanks do (such as the beautiful kabuki tanks). Ensure your tanks seals are free of nicks and cuts as well as making sure you are not overtightening the tanks. Everything should be finger tightened and easy to take apart. This will ensure you aren't breaking that vacuum and causing a pressure imbalance. The system itself is pretty simple - you just need to maintain it.

All in all, the nautilus is a great tank with QA problems. If you can work around that, you will be OK. I am looking to upgrade to kabuki's in one shot once I have the money together as the ability to lock airflow settings, quality materials, and the drip tip design put it in a different category than the mass produced nautilus. That doesn't mean I won't keep my nautilus tanks around as backups because they are great tanks - you just need to work through a process with them.

Excellent advice for all of us. Thank you!

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Background: I just cracked open my 100th 5 pack of nautilus coils.

I have never burnt a coil out from the get go and every coil I have ever ran has lasted AT LEAST a week.

your math says you've been using these coils for almost 10 years ... how long have these been out?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hey yall, aloha. I have posted before and am a 7 Provari owner. I vape on 4 minis Naughties, and 2.5 with the big batteries. For lack of a better term. I am starting to freak out....I have all Aspire Nautilus tanks. Mostly Minis, 2 fulls.
I have 1.8 ohm coils, and they are dying....in a few puffs.

I cannot get through even half a tank without my coils dying.

My point of this all was to quit smoking. I now have to but 5 coils to make it through 2 days, with my rotation of juices and devices. I am spending more on this than smoking Marbs. I am getting sad.

I have all 2.5s. And naughty tanks. It was never like this before. I do clean them. I am out of coils and just got 4 new ones tonight. My BM is stunned that I get worried about this...said they should last weeks. They last half a tank.

I vape at 4.8v

Help :/
These kinds of threads are frustrating to read, lots of people trying to help, yet you haven't even really described clearly what your problem is. What do you mean your coils are "dying" and "burn".. have they quit working totally? Or do you mean a burnt taste? Maybe if you describe exactly what is happening, tell what voltage or power you are vaping at, tell what ratio PG/VG juice you are using, tell whether you are chain vaping, you wouldn't have a dozen people guessing at what the problem might be. :) I use Nautilus mini's on istick 30W, vape at 8 to 12 Watts, 70 pg/30 vg to 50/50, and alternate between two of them, I don' t let the tanks get hot, and all is just lovely with them. I have no idea what you do, I just know your coils are doing... something.

Last edited:
Reactions: AstroTurf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread