Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To build coils which make "clouds", you should do a little homework on the basics of coil building, ohm's law, etc. Building your own coils is as much of an art as it is a science.

First of all, you need Kanthal wire. It comes in different gauges (thicknesses). A good size would be 28 gauge to begin with. It's the size I started out with, and I still use it to this day.

My advice: Start simple and slow. Your first coils will likely look scarey, but you'll improve with experience. Make a simple single coil (open or compressed), and once you've perfected that try dual coils.

You need an Ohm reader to measure the resistance of the coils before you even fire them on a mod. You also must calculate the ohms that your particular battery or mod can handle.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

I use 28 gauge kanthal wire. I make two 1.2 ohm coils (3mm diameter and about four loops) to end up with 0.6 ohms total.

Coils, Wicks, and Vapor Production:
Vapor production comes from a combination of net coil surface area, wicking and juice type, air flow... and the wattage necessary to heat that net coil surface area. If you're lacking in any of those areas, you'll come up short.

Just a few basic points, for your consideration... some IMO, some incontrovertible fact.

• The gauge of wire and overall length of that wire is what determines resistance. Coil count is irrelevant.

• Thicker gauge wire, for a given net resistance, where the finished coil(s) physically fits in the atomizer, provides the greatest surface area.

• Thicker wire, for a given net resistance, runs cooler than thinner wire, for a fixed wattage value.

• For a given net resistance, thicker wire requires more wattage to obtain the same heat flux (coil radiant heat) as thinner wire. Thinner wire, although it reduces surface area, can be used to raise heat flux where adjustable wattage (mech mod) is not an option.

• Higher wattage, for a given net resistance, produces more heat, and requires both better air flow and optimized wicking.

• "In-coil" wicking that is "loose" vs. "tight" is almost always a better choice, as overly tight fits can choke off the capillary action of the wicking medium.

• Plain old cotton balls can be "unrolled" perpendicular to the grain, to produce a flat strip of cotton.

• Always roll cotton wick in parallel with the cotton "grain".

• In an RDA, high VG juice will produce thicker "cloud" density.
(--Thanks to State o" Flux)

Last edited:

KoDdy

Apr 28, 2015
wow, thank you a lot for a such wonderful explain, i really admite that, as everywhere i asked, they just said practice, and while u asked how or for some helps, they didn't care much, they more like helped only to more experienced, or just said u need to do it step by step, cannot product fog immidietly, but never gave me such advice, thanks a lot man

Peace & chilled vape ;)

Reactions: Baditude

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello there,
till now i was smoking MK Vision, i was fine with it, but decided to try RTA.
i have 100W istick and OBS Crius.
And finally to question,
What bould, inner diameter, wraps and which wire should i do/use,
to be able smoke clouds? :p
Looking forward ur answears,
thx

-KoDdy

The short answer is whatever works for you.

Me: I love a .8 ohm build 2mm diameter and 26 gauge Kanthal. 8 wraps around the shaft of the little blue screwdriver gives me a resistance if .79-.84.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread