Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

LamaMania

Jul 25, 2016
I have been vaping for 2 summers now, and have totally stopped smoking cigs. So thankful for E-Cigs.
Heres my dilemna. I use an MVP 20 with a Pro-Mini Nautilus tank. I use the BVC 1.8 coils, and have wattage set at 7. I have been using the juice from same retailer for 2 years. My issue is that the local retailer I get coils from, seems as if I get 1 coil from pack to last me 7-10 days. All others from same pack 3-4 days before they start changing. This is getting costly, 5 coils in pack for 22.00. I need to know who to get coils from to last me 7-10 days from EACH coil within the pack.
Thanks

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
They are all cheaply made, some may not even work at all. I'd suggest something you can just rewick with cotton instead of throwing out. ProTank/ProTank 2 and original EVOD's are easy to do for MTL. If you prefer DTL or air flow control Tron/Ego One tank has 1 Ohm MTL or 0.5 Ohm DTL CL-R coils that are easy to rewick. Another option is just cleaning your cotton, run under tap water a few mins then blow all the water out by covering one end and wrap in paper towel to absorb any left over. If it drys in the cotton it will taste off for a little. If the coil itself needs cleaning (won't fire as well because its gunked up) leave it in vodka or PGA for a day then run through water a few times the same way. Other option look into rebuilding, I make 10 coils for about $1.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
well, I hate to say it- with the style of coil you are using, like another pointed out- they tend to be on the cheaper side and do not have the same quality control per each coil.
You can try to find a different vendor that will sell them to you for less. Or you can get into an dripping atomizer or rebuildable tank that you can make your coils yourself for pennies. And if you do not wish to build your own coils, many folks sell prefab coils that you can put in the dripper and just add your wicking material too. You will find that these coils potentially could last longer than a month.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I've never heard of a Pro mini nautilus.

Be sure you're getting authentic Aspire replacement heads by checking the scratch off security code on the box.
Thoroughly prime / saturate wicking material in new unused heads before use. Start a new head off at a lower power setting, I usually start around 9w & go up to my normal setting during the first tank.

The only times Ive had any problems from nautilus replacement heads is when I received clone/knockoff/counterfeit.

Many reasons for short lifespan, under powering causes coil gunking, over powering scorches / burns wicking material.
Goopy, gunky low quality juice wrecks heads faster, colored and especially sweet liquids tend to gunk coils & clog wicking material rapidly.

7w sounds like very low power for a nautilus bvc to me, my guess is you are gunking them up by under powering them.

I use clear non sweet 50/50 at 10.8w ~ 16.2w and get at least 300 ml per head, usually quite a bit more.

How many days a head lasts doesn't mean much without knowing how many mil's of e liquid you use per day.
7-10 days isn't bad head life if you use 30+ml's per day, but is horrible if you vape 5 ml's per day.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I've never heard of a Pro mini nautilus.

Be sure you're getting authentic Aspire replacement heads by checking the scratch off security code on the box.
Thoroughly prime / saturate wicking material in new unused heads before use. Start a new head off at a lower power setting, I usually start around 9w & go up to my normal setting during the first tank.

The only times Ive had any problems from nautilus replacement heads is when I received clone/knockoff/counterfeit.

Many reasons for short lifespan, under powering causes coil gunking, over powering scorches / burns wicking material.
Goopy, gunky low quality juice wrecks heads faster, colored and especially sweet liquids tend to gunk coils & clog wicking material rapidly.

7w sounds like very low power for a nautilus bvc to me, my guess is you are gunking them up by under powering them.

I use clear non sweet 50/50 at 10.8w ~ 16.2w and get at least 300 ml per head, usually quite a bit more.

How many days a head lasts doesn't mean much without knowing how many mil's of e liquid you use per day.
7-10 days isn't bad head life if you use 30+ml's per day, but is horrible if you vape 5 ml's per day.
7w for 1.8Ohm is much better 10.8w-16.2w is 4.4v-5.5v that sounds insane to me. I run 0.6 Ohm not much higher then what your suggesting for 1.8 Ohm I'd say 10w max or 4.2v but 7w may be your sweet spot I run 1.8 Ohm around 6.5w myself, never had any problems. 50ml and your cotton will be black forget 300ml lol. Saying you fill it 150 times before you change coils?GROSS

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
50ml and your cotton will be black forget 300ml lol. Saying you fill it 150 times before you change coils?GROSS

You've obviously never run clear, unsweetened juice. 50ml and the coil head still looks unused. Maybe around 200ml it's starting to show it's age. I usually replace mine around 200ml.

And while you may say you've "never had any problems" I would say if your cotton is turning black in just 50ml that is a problem. That's a pretty clear indication that you're leaving a lot of unvaporized gunk in your wicks and coils which is ruining them prematurely.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I use eleaf gs and aspire nautilus bvc coils. Both are about 8-10 dollars (5 pack) from China. I can honestly say I've never got less than 7 days from a coil.
22 dollars is crazy money.
Yeah 7-10 days is what I would call normal without cleaning them.

Reactions: djsvapour

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I'm about 2 months into vaping, I had to replace an atomizer after 1 month which I didn't care for. Since that time I ran across a you tube video for replacing the atomizer coil for a Kanger. I also learned that sugar heated to 350 F will turn to carbon. I use the temp mode and my high end was 390, now I vape at 340 hoping to reduce the carbon build up. Actually the carbon build up was in the wicking and the coil still looked new.

Reactions: Steven Pye

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah they obviously never rebuilt a coil before. Coil turns black then seeps into the cotton. Clear juice don't look to bad after a couple weeks but normal juice its black all around the part that touches the coil. In 1000's of videos I've never seen one that doesn't. Watch TiaVapes one month update of dripbox.... BLACK after 1 month from end to end all the way through and she vapes Pound It, not a dark juice at all. He just says he vapes unsweetened recommendation says nothing about "with unsweetened". 4v is around the 10w max I recommended. It's recommended at 8w, Triton 1.8 ohm SS is recommended at 10-13w. I'd only suggest going 4.2v and higher on duel coil, SS, or higher Ohm like 2.2 or 2.5.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
I think all juice after awhile will turn black like Gramdogg points out---- some quicker than others. I DIY my juice and tend to buy Capella due to being sugar free. I notice the cotton and coils take a longer beating. Now, as example if you get Lorann's candy oils (sugar bombs for most of the flavors) ........... your coil might be shot in just a few days.

Reactions: Gramdogg

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
Yeah it all depends on your juice. Higher VG will gunk up faster too, I run 20PG 80VG.
yah I run a lot of 80/20 VG-PG in my drippers
for my RTAs like the Griffin I use a slightly less thick 70/30
if it is something with small removable coil heads like my Melo 3 or Kanger Subtank I will run 50/50

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I rebuild, talking about the inside not the outside.

Well there is your first problem.

Everyone else in this thread is talking about NAUTILUS coils, which are VERTICAL coils. There is no wick on the inside of a vertical coil.

aspire-bvc-break-down.png

Rather than talking about yourself perhaps you should instead discuss the subject that was brought up by the person who started the thread. I could brag about how long my rayon wicked stainless steel coils last in my Serpent, but that really isn't going to help anyone in a discussion about kanthal Nautilus coils, is it?

Which is precisely why I didn't bring up the fact that that I'm currently on my 3rd month with the same TC Nautilus coil. Yes, it's a Nautilus coil, but it's nickel and not Kanthal, and used in TC mode, not Wattage mode, so the results are going to be different.

That's also why talking about or relating to high VG juices is irrelevant. Good luck getting even a 50/50 juice to wick properly in a Nautilus coil. With it's tiny juice holes you're really looking at 60PG as a minimum PG level. Any thicker and you'll be burning up coils because it's not wicking properly.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Argumentative and rude

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada