Colorado man sues after explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
As the vaping phenomenon spreads it will have to be made more idiot proof, or we won't like the results. The focus should be on what needs to change, not what an idiot this guy and others like him are(and don't fool yourselves, they outnumber us, by a lot). Just in the last year this industry has changed from everyone vaping basic PVs to mods are for everyone. The vast majority of people who are going to be vaping in the future aren't going to understand the finer points of battery chemistry, even if they had an interest, which they won't. The industry can't continue to use marketing and communication methods appropriate for enthusiasts and early adopters when going after mass market consumers. The sooner the industry accepts and responds appropriately to that fact the better for it's long term survival.
I can't agree more and suggest we start now addressing these issues because these are
the issues which will directly effect our movement. I emailed the link to this thread to
my e-cig marketer and suggest others do the same so they can follow this thread as we
discuss this topic.

Regulation is in our future and what we do now is very important.
Why?
The Nanny State has a history of addressing problems by simply banning them.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I never want to hear about anyone getting hurt... I'm truly sorry that someone trying to make the switch had this happen to them. Keeping in mind that there is a lot of speculation here, I feel like we should file suit against this fellow for slandering our rep. I know that is a bit extreme.
I said 2 months ago when I completely familiarized myself with the battery safety pages here, that there needs to be some kind of ECF certification, before anybody can buy anything above a simple starter kit.
I'm one of those guys educating every person that shows interest in my PV, and now for the next month, every person I talk to is going to say " those are the things that blow up in your face".
We are going to get shut down because of people crying for their personal safety with us in their general vicinity, nevermind those that assume were exhaling smoke.
Roly makes it very clear about going after vendors that do not provide proper equipment. How about protecting vendors that are clearly getting railroaded?

Wow, you want a forum to certify a PV? No thanks, I want a team of trained engineers.

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Industry Standards / Consistency / Educational Campaign / Adequate Instructions / Warning Labels

I have harped on these issues since I joined ECF .. it is the vendors that need to get their acts together .. that's the only way we will avoid eventual bans and/or heavy regulation ..

The continued springing up of sellers that jump into a hot market in a money grab effort results in the Wild Wild West .. which is exactly where we are now .. the efforts of CASA and any other grass roots movements will be for naught without vendors that do the right thing .. unfortunately, when things start to get dicey, these short term profit folks will move on to the next Sham Wow ..

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
I don't see this guy winning anything. It clearly states on their site to use protected or safe chemistry cells. The guy choose to use the wrong batteries...that was HIS fault and not the fault of the mod or mod maker. Stupidity in not using the proper cells is the only thing that was faulty.

Like the woman that sued McDonald's for serving hot coffee?

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I wish some people form this site would end up on the jury, but they will get people that do not know any better. This guy will end up getting millions probably which is sad because as most of you have stated "you can't fix stupid". I do truly feel sorry for the guy having to endure this but when I purchased my 3VO, Provari, or anything else for that matter I bought batteries from the site that sold the PV. Cases like this remind me of the lady that got 2 million for burning herself with hot coffee, now every cup from vendors all over state "Contents May Be Hot" etc. My next PV should read "Hey Stupid Use The CORRECT Batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Just my :2c:

He won't get millions .. he'll be lucky to get anything at all ..

Yelsew Skraps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Wow, you want a forum to certify a PV? No thanks, I want a team of trained engineers.
I may be wrong but I think the intent was to make any user be certified before they can buy a mod, likely not possible, but related to the user not the device itself... I don't see vendors wanting to not sell to a willing consumer, but I can appreciate the sentiment and I guess the analogy would be being licensed to drive a car. But that would be I think bringing in regulation which it seems is not a desired state.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
I like how events like this get blown out of proportion. All the public and media gets all gung-ho about anything nowadays just to satisfy that need to control and have a part of something. So pathetic. People drive cars all the time and it only takes one ...... to kill someone with it. How do people (media and its sheep) blame the freakin device... or even the batteries. "Hunny I burnt down the house microwaving the batteries." *calls up lawyer*... Due to the lack of labeling I think we have a case! /rant. People just really need to stop doing this.

Can't protect people from themselves. Quit trying. We soon will all live in a padded 100% germ free world. Wonder why people are always sick?.... over sanitization of food. Body can't learn to defend itself if it isn't shown.

Lets start making pv tubes that fit with oddly shaped batteries so only the right one will go in. About what people are coming to with this foolishness.

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I like how events like this get blown out of proportion. All the public and media gets all gung-ho about anything nowadays just to satisfy that need to control and have a part of something. So pathetic. People drive cars all the time and it only takes one ...... to kill someone with it. How do people (media and its sheep) blame the freakin device... or even the batteries. "Hunny I burnt down the house microwaving the batteries." *calls up lawyer*... Due to the lack of labeling I think we have a case! /rant. People just really need to stop doing this.

sema4...Exactly. It's like owning a gun...guns don't kill on their own. There has to be someone squeezing the trigger. A mod won't blow on it's own, there has to be someone pressing the button.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I know you can't fix stupid...but...
Who is stupid if batt protection circuit fails and batt vents?
Who is stupid if PV has no protection circuit?
Who is stupid is PV relief vents are not adequate to relieve venting batt pressure?
Who is stupid if PV is maketed before batt vent testing?
Who is stupid if a million dollar settlement is won?
Who is stupid sometimes depends on country of citizenship.

BTW I support the disclaimer and hope he looses the case.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
sema4...Exactly. It's like owning a gun...guns don't kill on their own. There has to be someone squeezing the trigger. A mod won't blow on it's own, there has to be someone pressing the button.

Sadly the truth of the matter is that some people ("they") don't want e-cigs to exist so the blame will be put on the e-cig community and it's vendors due to lack of regulation. Since that hole exists people see it as a target. If my SB blew up right now I'd surely be ......, and possible maimed for life.... but I wouldn't sue Altsmoke or AW due to it. Only thing that could happen is if a fault was known with either of them and the companies knowingly shipped and endangered the public with said device. Without that I think certain people like the quick buck to be made, knowing the subject of e-cigs are controversial. Age old battle. I also know of someone who slipped on a spill at a wal-mart, sued and won. I'd say watch your step and learn to walk. Go sue the city for placing that stop-sign too close to the sidewalk that you walked into. People do it BECAUSE THEY CAN.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
Who is stupid is PV relief vents are not adequate to relieve venting batt pressure?

If he wins, more power to him, x amount of $$$ richer. But I don't think it would be justified. At the end of the day it's worth something knowing you didn't screw someone over. In our case, all of us potentially. Guess we could all go prohibition style and cook e-liquid in our bathtubs.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA

-If the protection circuit fails, blame nature and her chemistry.
-If the vents aren't adequate... well, lets ask why it was so heavy and broke my toe when I dropped it. Same argument. ---You can only prepare for disaster so much. Its like asking why my car caught on fire....DUH, cause theres *** gas in it!
-See above ^^
-The people who allowed it
-It depends who is looking

Not directed at you in any way. Just my opinions on said statements.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Comparisons to guns / cars are not valid .. these devices go thru rigorous testing, and while that does not insure full safety, at least they are rigorously tested .. those that choose to load ammo that is not recommended know that up front .. those that mod a car to go faster know the risks as well ..

As well, it is impossible to state that, if placed in the right scenario, you would not sue .. things that directly effect your own as well as your families well being will create the need for action .. it is not possible, as human beings, to step away and not ..

The industry needs to regulate / test / certify / warn / educate .. as industries do .. otherwise, someone will step in and do it for them .. and none of us really wants that ..

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
He's suing the wrong people if he's going after the PV maker.

Radio Shack/Enercell are the ones that provided the unprotected battery.

No. Just no. In no way can they be held liable. They sold a battery. If the consumer used it in any manner other than its intended use...well, he is SOL. There are unprotected batteries all over in a lot of things. Sure some people don't understand that when an energy source has too much load it generates heat. Like 20 plugs in 1 outlet. It isn't the products fault at all, nor the company who provided access to said product. Maybe every powered device should have an entry test to deem the user worthy of operating it :0 Like a Bugatti!

Sorry for all the posts everyone... seems this subject is getting to me.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
Comparisons to guns / cars are not valid .. these devices go thru rigorous testing, and while that does not insure full safety, at least they are rigorously tested .. those that choose to load ammo that is not recommended know that up front .. those that mod a car to go faster know the risks as well ..

As well, it is impossible to state that, if placed in the right scenario, you would not sue .. things that directly effect your own as well as your families well being will create the need for action .. it is not possible, as human beings, to step away and not ..

The industry needs to regulate / test / certify / warn / educate .. as industries do .. otherwise, someone will step in and do it for them .. and none of us really wants that ..

I agree regulation, testing, warning, education is necessary with these; but the gun and car analogy stands. They crash them, drive them, test cars up and down over and over, but people still get hurt. At the end of the day it cannot be Honda's, Toyota's or any other car maker's fault if someone gets hurt. UNLESS they shipped it knowing it was faulty. Nothing in any PV I know of is faulty to the point that it shorts and causes the battery to explode. If it were designed poorly and that happens fine, take it off the market.

Also, I can say that I wouldn't sue, even if in a similar situation. Some things come from common sense...like when my battery dies I don't go looking for regular AA's to make it work again. Yes my pv sitting 4 foot from my 3 year old may pose a risk.... it is a risk I apparently am willing to accept. I also let my 3 year old into the garage where my water heater is. If that thing exploded (rare but it happens) and she got hurt, well yeah obviously that would be devastating, but at no point would suing Whirlpool or the contractor who installed it or Lowe's for selling it to me, cross my mind. Freak accidents happen. Heck even cell phones explode...

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
No. Just no. In no way can they be held liable. They sold a battery. If the consumer used it in any manner other than its intended use...well, he is SOL. There are unprotected batteries all over in a lot of things. Sure some people don't understand that when an energy source has too much load it generates heat. Like 20 plugs in 1 outlet. It isn't the products fault at all, nor the company who provided access to said product. Maybe every powered device should have an entry test to deem the user worthy of operating it :0 Like a Bugatti!

Sorry for all the posts everyone... seems this subject is getting to me.

Thought the American way is to sue the deepest pockets not the most liable.

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
He's suing the wrong people if he's going after the PV maker.

Radio Shack/Enercell are the ones that provided the unprotected battery.

Agreed, though the gent gets negative points for opting to buy a lithium battery rather than a li-ion battery. He gets plus points as Enercell batteries do NOT list their discharge rate. There is NO way for me to tell if they are approved for a 2-4 amp load. I don't know if this makes a case, but it's really up to the MFG or retailer to know the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread