• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Combo thread: Juice issues, battery cleaning & taste buds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
K pls forgive me, it's a late nite post and also sorry, multiple queries.

1. I've been noticing juice issues cropping up a lot lately. Now since I've only been around here for 2 mths., I may not be familiar with the ebbs & flows of juice. Just that it's come to my attention, ino, I've been noticing a trend lately. Flavourcrafters: difference in nic. really affecting juice experience, strawberry with no flavour, now I'm discovering that the Sweet Honey Cigar that I loved so much is actually much grassier, like the Havana & Cuban, than the first sample. Juggy's Jokesmoke being thick & lumpy, Geoff's Blend tasting off, a few other strange occurrences.... Is this usual?

2. My friend and myself are both experiencing battery issues. 808s and my FatBoy. The batteries are pretty new, like maybe a month old. Is this just a cleaning issue maybe? If so, how do you clean your batteries?

3. My taste buds are wacky. OK I've read about this and it's common apparently. Some days I just love a juice and then sometimes I hate it. Alright "hate" is too strong a word. I'll take a day off and come back to something and it's all ok again. Or not, ever. And I wonder, what was I thinking? I mean, what was I tasting? No need to comment, I've read so many other similar experiences. Just saying... it's happening.

Happy long weekend everyone :) :party:

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
www.youtube.com
Are you using LR cartos or SR? SR on an ego type battery would make it difficult to get good vapor and I find them to be more airy than the LRs in general. Sounds like the Fatboy may be defective, or maybe you have been screwing the cartos on too tight....also if you are using dual coils on them it will shorten their life span significantly from what I understand....as far as the juice thing I have experienced the same thing from FC (although I was contacted and my bottles will be replaced) I am not sure if someone new is mixing the bottles or if it is just an aberration, but you must keep in mind that steeping or lack thereof can make a significant change in taste.

I find that most 808's have an airy draw, especially those sold with higher ohm cartos....I have two kits here, one has such an airy draw I have to suck hard (NO) to get any decent vapor, and the other I suspect has a lower ohm carto and it is great, good vapor with little effort........I will stop babbling now.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Hey don't worry about babbling - my post is a babble :).

Re tastebuds: Cartos may or may not have a role, but I suspect my taste buds are quite funky. Sometimes nothing tastes good, or satisfying. Then a day later I'm fine. Sometimes I tend to top off a bit too much, get juice in my mouth and that's it, I'm turned off for the rest of the day/night. I don't mind switching it up, going from juice to juice for variety, but still there's this odd "it's great, it's not great, it's satisfying, it's not satisfying, I like it, I hate it forever" thing going on.

Battery issues: My friend has two 808s 180 mah I believe that are acting up, they were fine for a while but changed. Yeah they're not expensive but they're still fairly new. One has too much air and the other not enough. My FatBoy is acting weird, connecting off and on. Just wondering if the batteries maybe get gunky and need regular cleaning, or if it's the battery.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
as far as the juice thing I have experienced the same thing from FC (although I was contacted and my bottles will be replaced)

Was that the Sweet Honey Cigar? I'm not nearly as happy with the new order as I was with my first sample. Not as sweet and has that grassy taste I don't like. Wish there was consistency with juices. Not only with FC, but noticing, as I said, other vendors as well. (My juice has steeped).

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
www.youtube.com
Hey don't worry about babbling - my post is a babble :).

Re tastebuds: Cartos may or may not have a role, but I suspect my taste buds are quite funky. Sometimes nothing tastes good, or satisfying. Then a day later I'm fine. Sometimes I tend to top off a bit too much, get juice in my mouth and that's it, I'm turned off for the rest of the day/night. I don't mind switching it up, going from juice to juice for variety, but still there's this odd "it's great, it's not great, it's satisfying, it's not satisfying, I like it, I hate it forever" thing going on.

Battery issues: My friend has two 808s 180 mah I believe that are acting up, they were fine for a while but changed. Yeah they're not expensive but they're still fairly new. One has too much air and the other not enough. My FatBoy is acting weird, connecting off and on. Just wondering if the batteries maybe get gunky and need regular cleaning, or if it's the battery.

I take a piece of paper towel and twist it so that i can clean in and around the battery post, but I suspect your fatboy is probably gonna die on you, I had one of my first batts I bought (very expensive by the way, this was before canvape) die on me in such a fashion, it would periodically stop working, then if i screwed the carto on tighter or more loose it would start working, then it would just fire on its own, then the post just fell out completely lol. You should get ahold of the vendor.

Juice wise I have those kinds of days for sure, one day I am in heaven with 3 or 4 different juices making me very happy, the next day I feel complete boredom from the same juices and I actually get a little nervous that it will never be the same haha, and i must find another juice!! It seems to pass though, usually a nice fresh carto helps for me. As for the kind....I am a fruit only vaper, no yukky tobacco taste for me :D I had about 10 different juices sent out to review and two of them tasted nothing like they should have, specifically the cranberry champagne and the orange cream.

As for the 808s, is this happening on all the cartos your friend has? is it battery specific? Make sure they are not screwed on too tight as this may restrict the air flow, or too loose as it will do the opposite.....also as a carto is dying the draw will get tighter....

Other than that I dont know :p Maybe i am way off, but this is all i can think of right now.

Last edited:

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Thanks! The 808 issue is battery specific. Cartos don't make a difference. Ahh the cheap stuff.... well even the expensive stuff sometimes. It's frustrating, just when you think your variety of gear is at a happy place, you have to go and complain to some nice vendor and send stuff back and be without and wait for mail again and shuffle around your routine - not the first time unfortunately :(.

Last edited:

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
www.youtube.com
Thanks! The 808 issue is battery specific. Cartos don't make a difference. Ahh the cheap stuff.... well even the expensive stuff sometimes. It's frustrating, just when you think your variety of gear is at a happy place, you have to go and complain to some nice vendor and send stuff back and be without and wait for mail again and shuffle around your routine - not the first time unfortunately :(.

ahh, ya I hate to hear that :( China is knocking these things out by the tens of thousands so unfortunately some are duds. I quickly moved away from the ego batts and 808s to mods and have been pretty ok as far as things not crapping out on me but i have had both expensive batts and cheap stuff and they all seem to have the same rate of failure.

Last edited:

Rttch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Edmonton
Are you using a tank at all Oriana? With my tank experiences, I've noticed that using a tank with a carto without a flange bottom has to be positioned properly to get the airflow right. I position the bottom of the tank just above the vent holes (about 1-2 mm of space) of my mod and that fixed the tight draw/no flavour issue that I was having at first. I also find that having a new carto presoaked overnight has helped a lot too.

I don't think you can clean batts (and don't understand how a battery could get gunky or dirty unless you mean the threading), but keeping your mod and the threading clean is important. The only other suggestion that I can contribute is that perhaps a bottle of Noalox anti-oxidant compound that you wipe on your threading would help. It came with my SB, so I don't know if it's useful at all for your equipment, so it's simply a suggestion that others could verify as useful or not.

Finally, in terms of my suggestions, I only smoked for a year, so I can't really relate to tastebuds being wacky. I do hope that you can get your issues resolved though and in a timely manner.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
2. My friend and myself are both experiencing battery issues. 808s and my FatBoy. The batteries are pretty new, like maybe a month old. Is this just a cleaning issue maybe? If so, how do you clean your batteries?

3. My taste buds are wacky. OK I've read about this and it's common apparently. Some days I just love a juice and then sometimes I hate it. Alright "hate" is too strong a word. I'll take a day off and come back to something and it's all ok again. Or not, ever. And I wonder, what was I thinking? I mean, what was I tasting? No need to comment, I've read so many other similar experiences. Just saying... it's happening.

Happy long weekend everyone :) :party:

Happy long weekend to you too.
My tastebuds constantly change. I blame the intense coffee drinking. ;)

I can`t speak for the fatboy, but the 808`s can get a ridge of gunk around the post. Try cleaning them out gently and shining them up. Make sure the holes in the side are clear and I find it best not to screw a carto on too tightly.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
I find using the same flavour for too long changes the way I feel about it but coming back to it later will make me like it better again . Changing ecigs is the same . They all seem to change the experience of vaping a bit and going from one to another can help . Some days everything is good other days nothing seem right . Different types of cartomizers seems to help as well for draw and the sensations you get from it .

farmer_bric

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2011
Maberly, ON
When my taste buds get wacky I vape peppermint for a bit and everything gets back to normal the next day.

Seems to happen to everybody:) My "drano" juice is a wintergreen - tastes just like a wintergreen life saver - from ............ Strong stuff but gets me back on track.

slojas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2012
Saskatoon
My Fatboy will flash in the event that juice floods the connector and bridges the + & -, a piece of twisted tissue or towel stuffed in there and twirled to soak up the juice fixes that, you basically need an adaptor on those to have them work nicely though, a 510 extender or 510 to 510 Ego adapter will rid all flood shorting and hard draw issues while protecting the battery threads as the adapter takes all the wear and tear.

Loss of taste for me is usually corrected by brushing teeth with Biotene then scrape tounge with spoon, rinse well with fresh water.
Harsh toothpaste and mouthwash can dull the tastebuds for hours and ruin vaping so I avoid them.

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
It's been mentioned a couple of times, but I'll reiterate the importance of cleaning your contacts.

On 510 threaded systems (ego etc) I find it's best to take a dry paper towel, roll it up really tight and twist it in and out of the connector a couple times. This helps clear off some of the oxidized gunk that builds up over time from moisture and dust that makes its way into the contacts. Clean contacts ensure that the power transfer form the battery to the atty/carto isn't degraded.

On the 808 system, there's a couple things you can check that effect the draw.

Auto batteries: check the light end to be sure the holes aren't plugged with lint/dust. There should be two small holes that allow air to pass over the sensor and activate the battery. If you have a manual battery this won't matter.

Second thing to check is the threaded end. There are two small holes that allow air in to the carto. These are located on opposite sides under the threads. You can use a pin to clear these out if they're gunked up. Second thing to check is the ring around the post. Again, dust and particulates can collect in there and it's easy to clean out with a toothpick run around the outside of the post a couple of times. Third thing to check is the post and threads. Make sure these are clean by using a paper towel and a little pressure to clear the surface clear of any gunk. Last thing to check is the carto. There's 4 slots around the base of the carto that let air in. I've noticed some QC issues in the past where the sticker is put on too low on the carto and blocks these airways. This can also effect the draw. If these are blocked when the carto is connected to the battery you can use a box-cutter or razer blade to cut the sticker and clear the holes. Or just remove the sticker entirely and use a little goo-gone to get rid of any glue residue. Just be careful if you do that not to get any solvent inside the carto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread