Common Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
well since about 99% of the questions that get asked of manufacturers are a 100% waste of time to answer. I get why they might not be fast to answer all the questions people have. Or why a 1 man company might ignore all but the really important questions. If small businesses spent the time to answer all the ignorant questions they get asked. They would never have time to make the product they are selling in the first place.. That of course just leads to more stupids customer calling for more stupid answers. Customer service should be about order fulfilment. NOT hand holding and nose or .... wiping.. Or shopping assistance.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Depends on if you want to have to communicate with your customers or not. Where you in manufacturing or consulting? Manufacturing typically does not have the workers communicating with the customers while in consulting/service the cs is just that.

We do not have cs reps but I am in constant contact with my clients. I am not in manufacturing either.

Automotive parts manufacturing.
For retail and wholesale.
22 years. Sold my small company when I retired.

There is no excuse in any industry for unprofessionalism.
None.
Do it right or go home.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
As a retired former business owner, yes we probably do.

Legitimate businesses have business lisc, pay taxes, business contact information, and follow rules regulations and laws concerning operation.

Facebook only "businesses" with no contact outside a social media site are far from legitimate.

Hmmm... I've apparently been doing it wrong for 35 years.
I'm in complete agreement about the social media stuff though.

Reactions: Gfdeputy2

Gfdeputy2

Account closed on request
Sep 5, 2015
New Hampshire or New Vapeshire
well since about 99% of the questions that get asked of manufacturers are a 100% waste of time to answer. I get why they might not be fast to answer all the questions people have. Or why a 1 man company might ignore all but the really important questions. If small businesses spent the time to answer all the ignorant questions they get asked. They would never have time to make the product they are selling in the first place.. That of course just leads to more stupids customer calling for more stupid answers. Customer service should be about order fulfilment. NOT hand holding and nose or .... wiping.. Or shopping assistance.
Really so then don't answer anyone! hope you don't own your own business it wont last long

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Automotive parts manufacturing.
For retail and wholesale.
22 years. Sold my small company when I retired.

There is no excuse in any industry for unprofessionalism.
None.
Do it right or go home.

There is always an excuse. It is up to the customer to decide. You gave good cs and I am sure your clients rewarded you by being long time clients. The vape industry is not the same. Well many businesses today give crappy service. Heck I had one vendor tell me :what do you want me to do about it?" Needless to say he was cancelled on the spot. They are still in business 10 years later.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
My business does not require a license in my state. I mostly renovate bathrooms and kitchens.
My customer service has always been my greatest asset. 35 years and counting.
I have relied entirely on testimonials from previous customers to maintain my business, and they have consistently done so.
I do not advertise, I have no dedicated business phone, my business address is the same as my home, I have no web presence, I do not use any form of 'social media' whatsoever, I don't even have business cards.
I am the poster child for the dysfunctional concept of 'free-market enterprise'. ;
I'm building myself a wood box mod right now. If it works well, I'll share it.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
My business does not require a license in my state. I mostly renovate bathrooms and kitchens.
My customer service has always been my greatest asset. 35 years and counting.
I have relied entirely on testimonials from previous customers to maintain my business, and they have consistently done so.
I do not advertise, I have no dedicated business phone, my business address is the same as my home, I have no web presence, I do not use any form of 'social media' whatsoever, I don't even have business cards.
I am the poster child for the dysfunctional concept of 'free-market enterprise'. ;
I'm building myself a wood box mod right now. If it works well, I'll share it.

That's great and I'm happy it works for you.
It's a service so a bit different, however I wouldn't hire someone without business lisc, bond and insurance.
Nothing personal, just business.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The only mod I've ever bought from a manufacturer is a REO and I have no complaints there.

This is the same set of consumers that will happily fork over $100 to pre-order a mod based on a CAD image and then wait months while the internals are sorted out, so I'm guessing most mod makers don't feel the need to keep up with customer support. Some make it out of limited runs to commercial success, some don't.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
The only mod I've ever bought from a manufacturer is a REO and I have no complaints there.

This is the same set of consumers that will happily fork over $100 to pre-order a mod based on a CAD image and then wait months while the internals are sorted out, so I'm guessing most mod makers don't feel the need to keep up with customer support. Some make it out of limited runs to commercial success, some don't.

Beat me to it. :D

Eta: Looks like Rule got in as well. -1 for skimming.

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
poor customer service and support is their fault. what is driving this current market in the terrible direction its in are ourselves. the companies which make these mods have almost no incentive to set up and finance proper customer service, tech support, RMA procedures, warranty programs, etc when the lifecycles if their products are at most 4-6 months. hell, they dont have much incentive to completely flush out a design because the lifecycle is so short. this is the way the industry operates right now:
- cad renderings are out. OMG HYPE. is there a preorder?
- product is delayed. OMG they are just making it better.
- youtube reviewers get sent samples. generally give good reviews. rarely have issues and if they do they are taken care of
- everyone goes out and buys them
- 3 months later many people are having issues and it is accepted that there are reliability issues and high overall failure rates
- you dont really care (or are unwilling to do anything about it) because there is a good chance that this cycle started again with another product a month earlier

even if you as an individual do not follow this trend the vast majority of people do. also, since vaping is a growth industry there is less of a focus on retention and service and more of an emphasis on new acquisition. until the industry calms down and product lifecycles are at least 1 year this s**tstorm will never end. i can only assume that we are nearing the end of the spec war. we cant really go any lower on resistance without exotic materials or such low gauges that size and weight suffer tremendously. we cant really go to higher wattages because of current battery tech and because flesh burns above certain temperatures. i anticipate that in about 6 months and for probably a year after the spec war will shift to a feature war. more advanced features like bluetooth, wireless charging, color screens, touchscreens, etc will begin to make their way into mods and keep the lifecycle short. the only exception is if an industry leader emerges who is playing the long game and actually invests in their customers.

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
Well said and bluetooth & wireless charging is already here
they are still niche features at this point.

evolv could have been the chip maker to get ahead of the curve with the DNA200. if they improved the screen, overhauled the terrible UI, included bluetooth on the chip and wireless charging in the power regulators they could have made that board last a very long time. as it stands they did the minimum possible to get up to 200w and thats all. i anticipate another release of the chip with some if not all of the features i mentioned sometime in the spring. when that happens everyone is going to run out and buy that because its the newest greatest thing. i am under no illusions that there would be a price increase with the things i mentioned. however, i would also imagine that the vast majority of people spending $200 on a current DNA200 wouldnt cry too much over spending $250-$275 if the mod included those additional features.

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
oh there are issues with them. check out the topic in the mod section. however they are mostly manageable with some tinkering. it didnt stop me from ordering one though (waiting on shipping now). here is a TLDR for the thread:
- the new "beta" update software has issues and gives errors when upgrading firmware (you can use the old software though)
- the smart bec software for android recently had an update which is causing some issues
- if you purchase the Ti and SS temp modes and upgrade firmware afterwards you lose the purchase
- the scaling coefficients for the various metals could use some tweaking (which you can change yourself)
- the fire button sticks (just need the loosen the screw slightly. was overtightened at factory)

there might be a couple others but overall bang for your buck it isnt bad at all. the reason why i went with one is because of what i said in my previous post. i cant justify the cost of current DNA200 mods when compared to a xcube 2 at 1/4 the price. that being said i would have dropped 6x as much on a DNA200 if it included the same features that i listed above.

Reactions: Gfdeputy2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread