Status
Not open for further replies.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Adding a list (and applauding) the Nude Nicotine concentrated PG free flavors!

Recommended usage:
Tobaccos: .5% - 2%
Sweet or Savory Flavors: 2.5% - 7.5%

From the three we've tested, we've found 1% on the Island tobacco works for us. Strawberry Banana Smoothie is 5-6% (hubby likes 6%, I'm good at 5%), and Mayan Mocha is perfect for me @ 5% (but some may like less). We've just ordered 16 more flavors. As we test, I'll try to post full reviews in this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/485536-nude-nicotine-diy-flavor-guide.html#post11254444.

Also of importance, I spoke with Jake (owner Nude Nicotine) and he confirmed their VG is jatropha free (huge yay!), and he will gladly make CoA's available for their VG if anyone wants one.

Concentrated Flavorings
Apple Pie a la Mode
Banana Cream Pie
Blueberry Mojito
Boysenberry Jam
Cake Batter
Chai Tea Tornado
Citrus Slap
Coffee Crème
Guava Papaya
Honey Tobacco
Island Tobacco
Kiwi Strawberry
Lemon Mint
Mango Crème
Mayan Mocha
Melon Madness
Menthol Tobacco
Minty Menthol
OMFG It's Chocolate
Pancakes
Passion Fruit Coconut Crème
Patchouli Vanilla
Peaches & Crème
Pumpkin Pie
Shirley Temple
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Tobacco
Very Berry
Watermelon Mint
White Chocolate Raspberry

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Could you expand on the jatropha?
Have there been issues with jatropha oil being used in VG?

Inquiring minds (-:

Inquiring minds are a VERY good thing! :thumbs:

Yes, apparently jatropha esters are present in many commercial brands of VG as glycerin is a by-product of the biodiesel industry...and jatropha is not something for which VG is commonly tested! However, not all glycerin sourced from the biodisel industry includes jatropha. An excerpt from this thread explains the issue in more depth: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/455394-glycerine-vapor-acrolein-issues.html

Is acrolein the biggest issue anyway?

The acrolein question is probably not the main glycerine issue at this time, in any case - because it is very unlikely that an ecig user can inhale anything other than the most minute quantity of acrolein, and almost unmeasurably small quantities of anything are not toxic. The main issue currently is the biodiesel byproduct problem; specifically the jatropha plant issue. Biodiesel production involves the use of multiple plant sources and these include jatropha in the modern era. Glycerine is produced as a by-product, along with diesel fuel. The problem is that jatropha is toxic to humans: its esters are carcinogenic.

For this reason biodiesel by-product glycerine absolutely MUST NOT be used for vaping-use glycerine. However this is easier said than done: no one really knows if this condition has been met unless the finished retail product is tested for the carcinogenic phorbol esters of the jatropha plant. As hardly any e-liquid vendors either test properly [4], or know how to test for this contaminant in any case, it is a genuine and serious issue.

The FDA have warned about this and a web search reveals multiple resources, including:
Potential Toxicity Associated with Oils, Glycerin, and Proteins Derived from the Jatropha Plant

How to obtain jatropha-free glycerine
Because the supply chain in the e-liquid world is based on word of mouth ("My supplier told me this is the highest quality") and overseas certificates of dubious quality, it is impossible to eliminate the possibility of contaminated glycerine unless (a) a reliable test certificate is presented, or (b) the source is unimpeachable.

A 'reliable test certificate' is not one that originates overseas, it comes from a nationally-accredited testing laboratory in your country, and it states specifically on it that jatropha was one of the contaminants tested for. Alternatively a reliable source is needed, such as a pharmaceutical supplier who can provide (not tell you about) pharmaceutical licenses for inhalation duty; the safest at this time is probably Dow Chemical's Optim product, a synthetic glycerine of about 99.9% purity (nothing is 'pure'; the contaminant here is likely to be water). This has multiple licenses for inhalation and Dow advise its use for medical inhalation in preference to their pharma grade PG (which used to be the most popular for e.g. asthma inhalers, but is now losing out to glycerine as there is no drying-out of the throat and upper lung area that some experience with PG).

E-liquid manufacturers can obtain Dow Optim in 4-gallon containers in the USA. It is not cheap - but there is no good, cheap e-liquid since this is impossible (testing is expensive, good materials are expensive, and qualified chemists are expensive to employ).

A practical alternative, to be used until such time as manufacturers provide full test details or are regulated by government in order to prevent the inclusion of contaminants (very likely and probably desirable if the industry will not solve the problem themselves), is to obtain your glycerine-based e-liquid from a manufacturer with a multi-million turnover and a very good reputation. This is because (a) regular full testing is expensive and small-scale vendors simply cannot afford it unless they are members of a trade association that handles the testing for them at a discount, and (b) a large-scale vendor with a very good reputation that would be completely destroyed if they were exposed for selling contaminated materials is a good bet, since they will probably be taking steps to ensure such an incident does not occur as they have a lot to lose.​

From the FDA http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForIndustry/IndustryNoticesandGuidanceDocuments/UCM310867.pdf

When vegetable oils and animal fats are used in
biodiesel fuel production, the co-products include oils,
glycerin and protein. Recently, the Jatropha plant
has become an attractive source material for biodiesel
fuel because of the high oil content
of its seed, availability of the plant
in certain parts of the world, and
relatively low cost. Jatropha is a drought-resistant
shrub that grows well in tropical and semi-tropic
climates throughout the world.

However, unlike other benign materials used to produce biodiesel fuel,
Jatropha plants may contain toxic compounds, including phorbol esters.
These compounds exhibit potential toxicity, both acute and chronic, to exposed humans and animals.
... Conventional impurity test methods may not detect the
presence of these toxins.

In my Googling, I keep seeing phrases similar to this: the presence of these toxins might go undetected using conventional impurity test methods. When combined with a similar FDA statement, I'm forced to think that it's very possible that conventional testing (even at USP standards), does not detect jatropha!

This document is full of great information (and it appearts to have a chart on 'what is tested for' in USP testing - jatropha is not included) http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5104381 Interesting to note, if VG is properly certified to be 'Certified Organic', it cannot have been derived from jatropha. So Certified Organic VG would not contain jatropha - but it might contain other impurities if not also USP.

I'm waiting for a call back from Jake at NN to confirm the source material of NN's VG (which I think I remember being palm oil)... but what I'm absolutely sure of is that he confirmed his VG IS jatropha free (and what I'm almost positively-sure I recall clearly is that he runs a gas chromatography test ensure the same). He offered to send me a copy of the test results & a CoA.

Reactions: D3A7HS7AR

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
1. I can no longer edit the original post (without the intervention of a moderator/administrator) because there is a timed limit (days) before editing is no longer an option, even for an OP.

2. This list is for DIY flavorings, however, given that some of these suppliers also make the juices from said flavorings, they could, in turn, reflect the juices they sell as well. Though, bear in mind, this list is for flavorings :)

PM me what you want added and I can keep the original list updated for you. :)

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Hold the presses!

To my knowledge there is a RISK of possible contanimation but none found so far. I.E. very important not to use industrial grades, which some vapers may be casual about when obtaining VG.

From the info I've read on the results of using jatrophia, a person would begin to feel ill. It's not like diacetyl where it takes decades to produce a diagnosable illness. From my understanding, VG from jatrophia also produces illness if eaten too. PG and VG are so common that half the time it's not even listed including medicines and toothpaste. I haven't heard of anyone getting sick.

The FDA notice is an advisary warning. Yes we may like to see this stuff screened, but it's unlikely that will happen. It's not even on the radar for the FDA to do unless there is a reported incident. That's why their current regulations are so stupid because no one has become ill from vaping.

Let's not have another cinnamon scare and IMO, cinnamon is more than a scare. But the evidence provided was faulty and not the reason I choose to stay away from it. It's a matter of informed consent.

Not smoking or vaping is the safest choice. You can read tons of warnings with everything we do, if you want to.

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Inquiring minds are a VERY good thing! :thumbs:

Yes, apparently jatropha esters are present in many commercial brands of VG as glycerin is a by-product of the biodiesel industry...and jatropha is not something for which VG is commonly tested! However, not all glycerin sourced from the biodisel industry includes jatropha. An excerpt from this thread explains the issue in more depth: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/455394-glycerine-vapor-acrolein-issues.html...

And I thank you for that information!

Who knew.......

Hold the presses!

To my knowledge there is a RISK of possible contanimation but none found so far. I.E. very important not to use industrial grades, which some vapers may be casual about when obtaining VG.

From the info I've read on the results of using jatrophia, a person would begin to feel ill. It's not like diacetyl where it takes decades to produce a diagnosable illness. From my understanding, VG from jatrophia also produces illness if eaten too. PG and VG are so common that half the time it's not even listed including medicines and toothpaste. I haven't heard of anyone getting sick....

And of course maintaining a balance of awareness is essential as well!

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I'm not one given to fear-mongering or scare tactics - but when a substance is not regularly tested for (and may actually be present in even USP grades of VG) and it's toxicity via ingestion is well known...I'm gonna play on the cautious side (and advise others to do likewise). It's not like any harm ever came to anyone from being too cautious with volatile chemicals & poisons.

This article seems very comprehensive Jatropha curcas L. (PIM 570) But for inhalation there's only this:

5.2 Inhalation
No relevant information at the time of preparation of the
monograph.

Me? After scanning the paper above I see the main/visible symptoms are GI distress from ingesting jatropha, but there's nothing about what we may experience or feel from inhalation of the same (short or long term).

I want to know the VG I'm inhaling 16 hours a day is verifiably jatropha free - but that's me/us. 'Didn't mean to be a fear-monger; I was just doing my best to answer the question posed in what I thought was a 'thorough manner'.

Vape wisely!

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I hope we can keep this on flavorings too.

To my knowledge, there is only one importer offering coa for VG and I don't believe they are testing for jatrophia. They also only sell in 55 gallong drums. That leaves you with the option of not vaping. I tend to think that a few hundred or thousand of people will get sick from eating it since vaping is such a tiny portion of VG's use if there was a problem. I apprecieate your concern as I am also. There's other additives in flavorings that I'd like to know more about.

I think VG's gotten a bad rap for lack of flavor, etc. Water is a better flavor carrier than either PG or VG and since most VG eliquids also use DW, I think that makes up for the difference.

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Interesting stuff, no doubt. However, it merits its own thread ;)

This one just got stickied! Let's keep it about the flavorings, cool?

Btw, per your recommendation, Nude Nicotine was added in the OP.

:vape:

Cool deal, Levitas - thanks for doing whatever you did to get it added :) The 3 flavors that we have so far are really (really!) good!

Thanks for the reminder to keep this thread 'on topic' (especially now that it's stickied - YAY!). I thought about that very thing when I responded about the jatropha issue (and almost posted an apology for going off topic). I'll be sure and do my part.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Loriann's cheesecake and lemonade appear to be PG free.

Also, One On One Flavors claim they are PG free.

TFA also lists a handful of PG free flavors on a seperate page.

Naturally Extracted Tobacco offers the option of PG free extraction is someone is interested in nets. They don't have to be made into an eliquid.

Whole Cig offers PG free WTA.

The list is growing!

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
You might also want to specify that the Loriann almond, banana, blueberry, cherry, cranberry, creamy carmel (not carmel), maple, pomegranate, raspberry (not on list), strawberry, toffee, are their "natural" line because the regular flavorings (example) have PG in them. Not all the natural line is PG or oil free such as chocolate natural or tangerine natural.

Loriann is confusing. There is a Loriann listing of their regular flavors in the DIY forum; from there I have noticed several appeared ok (PG free). How accurate the list is, I don't know. I think there's a tendancy to assume a flavor is oil based when it's difficult to mix, i.e. "not soluable in water" which may not be the case. Triacetin is difficult and IMO, safe to vape. (My spelling is bad when it comes to chemical names. Sorry).

Cheesecake Flavor
Contains: Glycerine, Ethanol, Artificial Flavor.
Soluble in water.

Horehound Flavor
Contains: Artificial Flavor, Alcohol.
Soluble in water.

Key Lime Flavor
Contains: Natural Flavors.
Insoluble in water.
(note: doesn't list oil)

Lemonade Flavor
Contains: Natural and Artificial Flavors.
Insoluble in water.
(note: doesn't list oil)

Pumpkin Flavor
Contains: Artificial Flavoring, Triglycerides.
Soluble in water.
(note: I have no idea what triglyerides is yet)

Teaberry Flavor
Contains: Artificial Flavor.
Slightly soluble in water.

I also have allergies, so an artifical flavor has less of a chance of duplicating a profile that may cause an allergic reaction. I'm not sure what manufactuers consider artifical or natural since flavorists are usually mixng molecules together and at that level, I find it hard to imagine there's much difference.

It's a PITA to figure out what's in flavorings. There are thousands of flavoring manufacturers in the US, however most are B2B only / do not want their flavors used in the ecig industry. IMO the only reason PG is used is because it's better for baking.

Last edited:

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Wizard Labs carries more than what I saw listed:
Wizard Labs Non-PG Flavorings

Absinthe Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Amaretto Flavor Concentrate - LA
Black Tea Flavor - TFA
Blueberry Candy - TFA
Cappuccino Flavor Concentrate - LA
Cheesecake NY Style Flavor - LA
Connamon Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Cinnamon Red Hots Flavor - TFA
Cola Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Cola Syrup Concentrate - TFA
Cranberry Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Cream Cheese Icing Flavor Concentrate - LA
Creamy Hazelnut Flavor Concentrate - LA
Dill Pickle Flavor Concetrate - TFA
Ethyl Maltol Crystals - TFA
Holiday Speice Flavor - TFA
Horehound Flavor- LA
Hypnotica Liqueur HPNO Flavor - TFA
Kona Coffee Flavor Concentrate - LA
Maple Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Melon Flavor Concentrate - LA
Nutty Amaretto Flavor Concentrate - LA
Organge Brandy Flavor Concentrate - LA
Orange Oil LorAnns Natural Flavor Concentrate - LAN
Tangerine Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Teaberry Flavor Concentrate - LA
Vanilla Bourbon Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Waffle Flavor Concentrate - TFA
Washington Cherry Flavor Concentrate - LA

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I'm glad you added that. I just saw it. Per Wiz Labs, the lemonade does have PG. But there is a cheesecake ....

Wizard Labs also claim the Loriann Natural contain PG - like the strawberry. I looked at Loriann's website and it appears the natural Strawberry doesn't (example).

That's not fair.

I know someone who has an immediate reaction to PG. Maybe if we drive to the E.R. and let her test it in the waiting room, then we'll know for sure. That sounds like fun.
:evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread