Complete noob seeking help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkyPumpkinChevy

Jul 22, 2017
Hi all! So happy to have found this community. I've been poking around for a few days and can't find my question asked anywhere so I finally joined and this is my first post. So be easy on me!

I know nothing really about vaping aside from my own research. I'm trying to get off my raunchy 24 year cig addiction and make the switch as I've heard so many positives about e cigs. So I got the Qbox by smok starter kit. It's cute and the kind folks at the shop gave me a basic rundown on how these things work. I've been puffin away for a week and my regular cig intake has magically been cut in half. Shocked! Anyways.. my mod gets warm (New word for me! Look at me throwing it in there like a pro!). I'm not sure that warm is good? It's not so hot that it hurts but it's very warm. I only notice it if I'm puffing say for 10 minutes. Then it warms up really quickly. Then I proceed to freak out as I don't want it blowing up or something... help!

PinkyPumpkinChevy

Jul 22, 2017
What battery are you using in the QBox?

Disregard. Has a built in battery.

Is the entire device getting warm? Or just near the top?
What battery are you using in the QBox?

Disregard. Has a built in battery.

Is the entire device getting warm? Or just near the top?
It's the whole thing yeah.. freaks me out cause of all the crazy stories of faces melting off from exploding e cigs. I would like to keep my face intact if all goes well haha!

PinkyPumpkinChevy

Jul 22, 2017
Welcome Pinky to a life of new smells and tastes.[emoji106]
It's normal for it to get warm, if it gets hot then give it a rest.
My Alien gets warm if I chain it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Great thank you so much! It'll be nice to keep my hands warm in winter maybe? Well one hand.. loving it so far and can honestly notice improved sense of smell already even though I'm still sneaking in a few yucky cigs a day for now. I smelled morning! It was amazing. I can't even explain it but I swear I smelled sunshine and dewy grass... mind is slightly blown

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
I don't think it is anything to worry about. If it were getting really hot and smelling like a 10 year old skaletric car then i would worry. Any device with a lithium battery if it is faulty has the possibility to explode. I think the only reason why you hear these horror stories about egigs exploding is hype from big tobacco to get them banned and media playing along. Apart from galaxy 7's problems how many times do you hear of phones exploding and there is a bazillion more of those than vape mods.

Enjoy your vape and smell the sunshine! Oh and Hello :)

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
Yay well done Mike! Every day i vape i get less and less inclined to even want a stinky. I feel the urge to go up to smokers i see and act all evangelical and say hello stranger can i interest you in the world of vape. I can breath better, i can smell the foul horrible roman drians in my city now. My skin is better even my IBS is better and that is only after 2 weeks. We are the Future!

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
First off, welcome Pinky. Glad you found us.

A device getting warm means that it's working normally, heating the coil and vaporizing the juice. Especially, it you've been vaping on it for any length of time. I wouldn't worry unless it gets super hot and has a burnt smell/taste.

If you have any other questions let us know. We'll be glad to help.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Yay well done Mike! Every day i vape i get less and less inclined to even want a stinky. I feel the urge to go up to smokers i see and act all evangelical and say hello stranger can i interest you in the world of vape. I can breath better, i can smell the foul horrible roman drians in my city now. My skin is better even my IBS is better and that is only after 2 weeks. We are the Future!
And puppies smell better, even wet.[emoji106]

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
First off, welcome Pinky. Glad you found us.

A device getting warm means that it's working normally, heating the coil and vaporizing the juice. Especially, it you've been vaping on it for any length of time. I wouldn't worry unless it gets super hot and has a burnt smell/taste.

If you have any other questions let us know. We'll be glad to help.
And the PCB will get a little warm.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. As you've heard, warm is normal. You should be perfectly safe with the gear you have. Vape gear can explode, or rather cause the battery to vent, which releases a good bit of energy in the form of heat, gas, and if confined in a case, pressure, in a short time. Normally this is due to operator error; somebody built a coil too low, or was suckered into using a faux-hybrid mod which they then shorted out at the battery top. None of this applies to you with your gear. You don't build coils and you have a proper 510 connector with a center pin. Moreover, the vast majority of "exploding e-cigarettes" are mechanical mods, not the regulated mod type you have.

All batteries are dangerous if mishandled because they store a lot of energy in a very small space. This is, in fact, their purpose. Lithium chemistry batteries can be considered more dangerous than some others because they have greater energy density, that is they store more power in a smaller space. If something occurs to release this energy in an uncontrolled manner... well, that's a problem. Note, though, this is true of all batteries of every type; it is not restricted to vape gear or lithium chemistry batteries. And, as has been pointed out, there are a lot more cell phones out there, using the exact same type of battery as is in your mod, than there is vape gear.

As far as handling them properly is concerned, with a built-in battery you don't have any more to worry about than your cell phone. (If you used a removable-battery mod, there are some handling tips and tricks I would speak about.) The only caution I will give is, remember batteries are at their most unstable when charging. This is because of a difference in "speed." Electrons, of course, move down the wire at the speed of light, less copper (I²R) losses. Batteries, OTOH, store their energy chemically, and chemical processes are much slower. This can-- does-- result in a condition where the charge is "stacked up" near the electrical connectors, rather than spread evenly through the chemical medium across the whole battery. A battery needs time to "rest" after charging, to allow the charge to evenly apportion itself through the media. Again, this is true of all batteries, not just vape gear. So the precautions are simple: Don't jostle the battery while it's charging, and try not to charge it and use it hard immediately thereafter. A final caveat: Lithium, in the concentration used in batteries, is damaging to the environment. Therefore, when the battery goes south, as they all do after their life-cycle of charges is used up, recycle your mod (the biggest problem with built-in batteries versus removable is when the battery goes, the mod is a paper weight) at a small electronics recycling center rather than throwing it away.

Now, that's probably more info than most people are interested in about batteries. It's more like one of those tags on a pillow they swear they'll throw you in prison for if you remove it. All you really need to know is don't abuse it. Treat the mod much like your cell phone and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the board :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all! So happy to have found this community. I've been poking around for a few days and can't find my question asked anywhere so I finally joined and this is my first post. So be easy on me!
I know nothing really about vaping aside from my own research. I'm trying to get off my raunchy 24 year cig addiction and make the switch as I've heard so many positives about e cigs. So I got the Qbox by Smok starter kit. It's cute and the kind folks at the shop gave me a basic rundown on how these things work. I've been puffin away for a week and my regular cig intake has magically been cut in half. Shocked! Anyways.. my mod gets warm (New word for me! Look at me throwing it in there like a pro!). I'm not sure that warm is good? It's not so hot that it hurts but it's very warm. I only notice it if I'm puffing say for 10 minutes. Then it warms up really quickly. Then I proceed to freak out as I don't want it blowing up or something... help!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to check around next time before you listen/buy from the good folks at the "shop", they sold you a non beginners device. B&M have their uses, but often times profits get in the way of doing the right thing. Sometimes the customer won't listen either.
Hang in there, the learning curve is steep and you just have to read/keep learning. The folks at the shop can advise too.
Might like to read:
http://best-e-cigarette-guide.com/e...cigarettes/sub-ohm-vaping-perks-and-problems/
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping | Spinfuel VAPE
Battery safety
Care and Use of 510, eGo and Variable Voltage Batteries
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

PinkyPumpkinChevy

Jul 22, 2017
I don't think it is anything to worry about. If it were getting really hot and smelling like a 10 year old skaletric car then i would worry. Any device with a lithium battery if it is faulty has the possibility to explode. I think the only reason why you hear these horror stories about egigs exploding is hype from big tobacco to get them banned and media playing along. Apart from galaxy 7's problems how many times do you hear of phones exploding and there is a bazillion more of those than vape mods.

Enjoy your vape and smell the sunshine! Oh and Hello :)

Haha! You've raised some very valid points, thank you. I never even thought of the samsung thing ha! And thank you for the warm welcome :) I feel like I'm becoming a member of some new cool, ridiculously friendly club ha!

PinkyPumpkinChevy

Jul 22, 2017
Welcome, @PinkyPumpkinChevy! Hope your mind has been put to ease. FWIW, my mods feel a little warm just from holding them in my hand.....which I tend to do for long periods. Enjoy your new world! :vapor:

Thank you so much! Yes I've noticed myself doing the same actually... I think I'm in love with it and don't want to put it down

PinkyPumpkinChevy

Jul 22, 2017
Hi and welcome. As you've heard, warm is normal. You should be perfectly safe with the gear you have. Vape gear can explode, or rather cause the battery to vent, which releases a good bit of energy in the form of heat, gas, and if confined in a case, pressure, in a short time. Normally this is due to operator error; somebody built a coil too low, or was suckered into using a faux-hybrid mod which they then shorted out at the battery top. None of this applies to you with your gear. You don't build coils and you have a proper 510 connector with a center pin. Moreover, the vast majority of "exploding e-cigarettes" are mechanical mods, not the regulated mod type you have.

All batteries are dangerous if mishandled because they store a lot of energy in a very small space. This is, in fact, their purpose. Lithium chemistry batteries can be considered more dangerous than some others because they have greater energy density, that is they store more power in a smaller space. If something occurs to release this energy in an uncontrolled manner... well, that's a problem. Note, though, this is true of all batteries of every type; it is not restricted to vape gear or lithium chemistry batteries. And, as has been pointed out, there are a lot more cell phones out there, using the exact same type of battery as is in your mod, than there is vape gear.

As far as handling them properly is concerned, with a built-in battery you don't have any more to worry about than your cell phone. (If you used a removable-battery mod, there are some handling tips and tricks I would speak about.) The only caution I will give is, remember batteries are at their most unstable when charging. This is because of a difference in "speed." Electrons, of course, move down the wire at the speed of light, less copper (I²R) losses. Batteries, OTOH, store their energy chemically, and chemical processes are much slower. This can-- does-- result in a condition where the charge is "stacked up" near the electrical connectors, rather than spread evenly through the chemical medium across the whole battery. A battery needs time to "rest" after charging, to allow the charge to evenly apportion itself through the media. Again, this is true of all batteries, not just vape gear. So the precautions are simple: Don't jostle the battery while it's charging, and try not to charge it and use it hard immediately thereafter. A final caveat: Lithium, in the concentration used in batteries, is damaging to the environment. Therefore, when the battery goes south, as they all do after their life-cycle of charges is used up, recycle your mod (the biggest problem with built-in batteries versus removable is when the battery goes, the mod is a paper weight) at a small electronics recycling center rather than throwing it away.

Now, that's probably more info than most people are interested in about batteries. It's more like one of those tags on a pillow they swear they'll throw you in prison for if you remove it. All you really need to know is don't abuse it. Treat the mod much like your cell phone and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the board :)

Wow thank you so much! That was incredibly informative and really set my mind at ease. Appreciate you taking the time to answer so thoroughly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread