Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
My oldest electronic device - a 30 years old boombox, last 10 years it was in a non-airconditioned garage. Recently was cleaning my garage, tried this thing, it still worked... I would not bother too much about storing conditions of my mods for as long as they are in air an conditioned house.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
My oldest electronic device - a 30 years old boombox, last 10 years it was in a non-airconditioned garage. Recently was cleaning my garage, tried this thing, it still worked... I would not bother too much about storing conditions of my mods for as long as they are in air an conditioned house.
I agree, how many of us have old stereo systems that still work, old transistor radios that still work, yes, some electronic devices fall by the wayside and die, yet others seem to hold on for decades, I have several Sony walkman cassette players that are still functional, and some shortwave radios that have been sitting for decades and still work, all buttons function, no glitches. I think it is luck of the draw with electronic devices, some models have an Achilles heel and succumb to an early death, and others, once burned in, can run for a very long time. Nobody really can predict which will last as things usually change so fast with new products always hitting the shelves.

These products were designed to be used in our normal environments, so kept dry an a climate controlled house, they should be good to go for many years sitting idle in a box or a bag in a closet.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Speaking of Texas Instruments... I've been carrying around the same TI-89 for around 14 years. Hasn't had any good treatment whatsoever, carried around in a backpack almost every day for all of those years. Spent quite a few of those days at construction sites, and it's been dropped. Thing works great, I'll be using it at work Monday.

Not saying we shouldn't treat our things nice or anything. I just like to also give positive reports on devices that have not been handled so nicely and still stand the test of time. Should inspire confidence on how well stored devices should hold up over time.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    This is a good to piece of information specially to the vapers who are hording for the next couple of years because of the FDA regulations.
    I've been involved with a local history museum most of my life. There are lots of period artifacts, documents, etc. We try to understand the factors that promote deterioration and act accordingly. Storage solutions are driven mostly by the materials you want to protect.

Some people are hoping for 10-20 years for a vaping stash, including me, so I wonder how to get there without over spending or miscalculating.

1. My long term nic is in padded, air tight, 1 liter amber glass bottles kept at freezing temperatures to minimize exposure to light and oxygen. I'm confident that's good enough for 10 years. A 10 year supply for me is 250,000 mg which costs only $125. So I added a redundant supply from a different vendor in case the first batch spoils. If there is no spoilage and nic can actually last indefinitly, which nobody is really sure about, then I'm good for a silly long time for a trivial amount of money.

2. The atomizer I'm storing (and use every day) is a reletively simple rda. The rubber o-rings may get brittle over time but they are generic. The insulator around the center pin is simple enough that I can make them or have them made if they get brittle. The wire is trapped under a generic screw and nut.

3. That leaves the mods which will be removed from ratail packaging and kept in stable acid free materials of some kind yet to be determined. May be that's overkill but doing things right won't cost anything. Why mess around?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread