Concerned I just received fake Kanger Clapton coils!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hey,

I usually order all my coils from sweet-vapes.com but they were out of stock of the .5 claptons for my subtank minis. So doing a Google search I came across a site named (I decided to remove the name for right now to give them the benefit of the doubt first), but they are based out of CO in the United States. I've never heard or done business with them before but their site claims they only sell authentic products and the reviews seem to match up, the price was right so I went ahead and ordered from them.

Today I received my package from them and I'm concerned they are good knock-offs. While the QR code checks out on Kanger's website a few other issues are bothering me...

#1 The wattage recommendation that are usually stamped on the .5 claptons are 18-70 watts, my coils are stamped 15-45 watts! This instantly set off a RED FLAG with me!

#2 The box the coils came in look a bit off. On the front of the box it has "KangerTech Clapton Coil" at the top of the box with a picture of the coil directly below it. On all previous ones I've purchased this has been more centered on the front of the box. Also on the side of the box it mentions something about a contact person in "EU" and gives a France physical mailing address...I've never seen this before.

#3 Usually a physical card comes inside of the box with the wattage recommendations based on the VG ratio, etc, instead I get a slip of paper showing you how to prime the coil...a bit odd. Unless Kanger has done some updating here I'm thinking I got some good clones here where someone really went out of their way to make them look authentic.

I'll snap a pic of the box and upload it, trying to take pics of the coils are a bit hard as far as being able to see the stamping on them with my camera.

Any ideas? I'm going to fire off on E-Mail to the vendor but first wanted to get some opinions here first. I'm not accusing the vendor of anything but I want to make sure these are authentic, there are a lot of fake Kanger coils going around these days (that include authentic ID numbers on the label on the box) but are in fact not authentic.

Thanks!

D2xzZLj.jpg

flP5ZHq.jpg

Won26pw.jpg

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Looks like grey goods. Stuff meant for another country and brought in for sale in the US. The labeling certainly supports an EU origin for them. Whether their actual counterfeits I have no idea. Maybe another Kanger person will weigh in. It is interesting it passed the scratch and enter verification, which is why I'm leaning towards grey goods.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
They could be fake, but I'm actually more likely to believe they're real and just sourced from another country. Kanger changes their coils so much, these could just be the new recommended wattage. I've gone through countless iterations of these specific coils, I just stopped keeping track.

Honestly, I wouldn't over think it. First try out a coil and see if it works. If they are bad in some way, then hit up the vendor. But the truth is, we'll probably never know. And hopefully it will work fine.

Melophile

Jul 10, 2016
This just happened to me too! I ran out coils, so I purchased a replacement set from ElementVape. However, they were stamped with 15-45W. The flavor of my e-juice was noticeable diminished on the 15-45W coils, so I went in search and found that VaporAuthority carried the coils with 18-70W. But, those coils were 15-45W too.

I'm completely bummed. I miss the flavor I was able to achieve on the 18-70W coils. My guess is that Kanger discontinued the 18-70W coils :(

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Last week I received from an UK vendor (I live on the UK) two boxes of SSOCC 0.5 Ohm coils.
The engraving on the coil body reads "15 - 30 W" instead of 15 -60 W as always.
Also, they are much lighter in weight, and the casing is no longer SS.
I contacted the vendor, who in turn enquired with Kanger asking for an explanation.
I vape at 45 Watt with Toptank and Protank 4. I don't feel comfortable vaping against the prescribed rating, so I am buying a stock of the old square OCC and I reverted on the meantime to Serpent Mini and the Griffin, but I don't fancy wiring and wicking.
Hoping Kanger will provide an answer and some decently rated coils.
The vendor I used would not sell fakes. If the new coils turn out to be fakes, it means there is some very good logistics behind it, and it seems unlikely to me.
Should I get some reasonable explanation from Kanger, I'll report back here.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I bought some listed as authentic off of Fasttech. Not the claptons but SSOCC, the boxes are the same style as the one you have. Also no card inside and check on Kanger as authentic. I used a few of them prior to moving on to the RBA and keep them for backup. I have no reason to believe they aren't authentic, they are very good coils.

front.jpg

bvack.jpg

side.jpg

Also the Claptons as listed on MVS are 15-45w

Kanger NEBOX SSOCC and Clapton Coil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread