Concord, CA about to include e-cigs in outdoor smoking ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
short news report on a local smoking ban ( Contra Costa Times, May 10):
CONCORD -- The City Council will consider a proposed smoking ban on sidewalks in the city's downtown after it was recommended Monday by a council subcommittee. [...]
The hearing date has not yet been set, but the council will consider the matter in the next few months [...].

more info in the May 9 meeting minutes:
[...]The Committee also asked staff to include e-cigarettes as part of the smoking ban ordinance.
Staff was directed to move forward with a report to the City Council in July 2011, along with a draft ordinance [...]

Godzilla

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2010
Northern California
www.foxyboxmods.com
Well, I will not be spending a dime more in that City. I am happy to shop next door in Pleasant Hill. Concord also recently approved a sales tax which is now near 10%. Hopefully all of their residents go next door to Pleasant Hill to do their shopping.
Idiots have been in charge of Concord for way too long.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Well, I will not be spending a dime more in that City. I am happy to shop next door in Pleasant Hill. Concord also recently approved a sales tax which is now near 10%. Hopefully all of their residents go next door to Pleasant Hill to do their shopping.
Idiots have been in charge of Concord for way too long.

Godzilla, please consider attending the hearing to speak against this inane ban, and keep your ears open for anyone who is from Concord.

If you PM me your contact info I'll keep you updated as the hearing approaches.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Hey Placebo, clean out your message box :D

I also sent a message to Michael at Digital Ciggz to see if he knows the fellow from Concord that was selling Tshirts for vapers.

Geoff from TV may know someone since he is in the Bay Area. Do you know Geoff enough to ask?

It's cleared now.

I don't know Geoff at all.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
It's cleared now.

I don't know Geoff at all.

I sent a PM to Geoff at Tasty Vapor. While I do not know him personally, he seems like a stand-up guy. Hopefully, he'll be willing to help. If he's in the Bay Area, Concord is right there in his backyard.

As we saw with Pierce County/Tacoma, vendors who choose to get involved can make a huge difference. (Kudos to the Vaporium in Lakewood, WA for getting involved and helping obtain some significant concessions for indoor e-cigarette use in Pierce County, WA.)

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Concord (CA) City Council:

1950 Parkside Drive, MS/01
Concord, CA 94519
Phone: (925) 671-3158
Fax: (925) 798-0636
citycouncil@ci.concord.ca.us

Council members:

Mayor Laura M. Hoffmeister
Vice Mayor Ron Leone
Councilmember Tim Grayson
Councilmember Daniel C. Helix
Councilmember William D. Shinn
Concord City Treasurer Thomas J. Wentling

Note that the plan is to submit a proposal to the City Council in July. The City Council meets on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Tuesday of each month.

I sent a PM to Geoff at Tasty Vapor. While I do not know him personally, he seems like a stand-up guy. Hopefully, he'll be willing to help. If he's in the Bay Area, Concord is right there in his backyard.

As we saw with Pierce County/Tacoma, vendors who choose to get involved can make a huge difference. (Kudos to the Vaporium in Lakewood, WA for getting involved and helping obtain some significant concessions for indoor e-cigarette use in Pierce County, WA.)

Kim & Steve Thompson and their entire family are great people with a great story: Kim saved the cash she wasn't spending on 2+ packs day. After about 7 months of wishing there was a physical e-cig store, Steve pointed out that she'd saved enough money to start one! vaping literally paid for itself and the Vaporium is the impressive result.

E-cig businesses really need to pay attention to when bans like this pop up--not only to protect their ability to do business, but by getting involved and active you have some unique opportunities to expand or promote your business when the news media show up...or just share your "ware" with other vaping aficionados who care enough to show up for a public hearing like Carl from Refindvapor.com (Many many thanks also to Carl for working with Greg to get the audio at all 3 meetings!!!). Meeting at the bar after turned into an impromptu vape meet, and I'm sure that both Carl and Kim made at least a few loyal customers. ;)

Even if you don't think a regulation would effect your business, why miss an opportunity to network with the people or businesses that are impacted? If you are in an area that is implementing a smoking ban that doesn't include e-cigarettes, a savvy salesman would be at the courthouse talking to the bar owners who are upset because they know many of their customers will stay home if they can't smoke at the bar.... 'Nah mean?

The antis have a hard time believing that CASAA isn't a paid industry shill, but I think part of that is because there's some seriously underused marketing opportunities at these public meetings. :p

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
This just came up from a sleeping Google Alert, once set up to search for the Concord smoking ban:

Contra Costa Times 09/25/2011
Smokers downtown might soon have to take a hike to light a cigarette.
The City Council will vote Tuesday on whether to ban smoking in a 17-block area around Todos Santos Plaza.
The ban would affect sidewalks and other public areas on mostly commercial blocks in the city's downtown. Smoking also would be banned on private property accessible to the general public.[...]

From OP (06/2011): “The Committee also asked staff to include e-cigarettes as part of the smoking ban ordinance.” Don’t know if e-cigs are actually included in the ordinance now up to vote.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Yep, they're included.

http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/pdf/citygov/agendas/council/2011/0927/4A.pdf

WHEREAS, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration conducted laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples and found they contained carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users and bystanders could potentially be exposed;

. . .

Smoking. The carrying or holding of a lighted pipe, a lighted hookah pipe, an operating electronic cigarette, a lighted cigar or cigarette of any kind, or any other lighted smoking equipment, or the lighting, emitting, or exhaling the smoke of a pipe, cigar, or cigarette, or electronic cigarette of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread