Confirmed reason to look for safe batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yes salt water is used to completely kill li batteries before disposal.
You can see vids on tube showing how.

It has nothing to do with conductivity. Your trying to neutralize the chemical reactions within the cell

The same way as say baking soda turns acid into harmless water

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I agree that its hard to believe that any respectable battery manufacturer would rate their batteries 30A CDR when they hit temps like this, but Sony does. I couldn't find the VTC3 spec in a quick google search, but this is the VTC4 spec, which is essentially the same cell just with a higher mAh capacity.

I don't think Sony ever expected that a product designer would even consider creating something that ran at close to the CDR. Especially with those temperatures. It's a maximum rating and needs to be derated for reliability and decent cell life. For vapers and the vaping industry though the CDR seems to be more of a every day nominal rating to be regularly exceeded.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I don't think Sony ever expected that a product designer would even consider creating something that ran at close to the CDR. Especially with those temperatures. It's a maximum rating and needs to be derated for reliability and decent cell life. For vapers and the vaping industry though the CDR seems to be more of a every day nominal rating to be regularly exceeded.
    One of my biggest peeves is the pulse rating, no one want to understand this is to protect the cell from damage, like when a motor or fan pulls the burst wattage to get started. its not supposed to be continuously put to use all day.

The things vapors do to these cells make it not hard to understand why the big companies refuse to actually support us, and we instead have to buy the cells through 3rd party resellers.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    It can't be intended to run continuously like that and be at safe temperatures without active cooling. But the discharge test is a continuous discharge under load. For the test to maintain the 30A for the full discharge, Sony also have to be continuously decreasing the resistance as the battery voltage drops. It gets ridiculously hot without a cooling system. But, somehow, Sony rated it to withstand this extreme circumstance. More extreme, in my opinion, than would happen with a mod that self fired for 5 minutes.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    One of my biggest peeves is the pulse rating, no one want to understand this is to protect the cell from damage, like when a motor or fan pulls the burst wattage to get started. its not supposed to be continuously put to use all day.

The things vapors do to these cells make it not hard to understand why the big companies refuse to actually support us, and we instead have to buy the cells through 3rd party resellers.

Arrgghhh...."pulse ratings". Makes me foam at the mouth just thinking about how that's abused!

Reactions: Baditude

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It can't be intended to run continuously like that and be at safe temperatures without active cooling. But the discharge test is a continuous discharge under load. For the test to maintain the 30A for the full discharge, Sony also have to be continuously decreasing the resistance as the battery voltage drops. It gets ridiculously hot without a cooling system. But, somehow, Sony rated it to withstand this extreme circumstance. More extreme, in my opinion, than would happen with a mod that self fired for 5 minutes.

If used in a mech mod, I agree. The cell voltage would drop and the discharge current would also drop since it's a fixed resistance load.

But if it's a regulated mod running in VW or TC mode then the situation could be even worse than when doing a constant-current discharge (like Sony does for their tests). The chip will ramp up the current as the cell voltage drops in order to maintain the power level or temperature. Hmm...the output is pulsed though, gets mire complicated and my brain is calorie deprived right now.

Those in the know...does the average/RMS current draw increase in VW/TC modes as the cell voltage goes down?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Portland
    some body please explain to me the inherent safety and function
    of a magnet switch.
    thank you
    mike

I don't think there is any. I've had the same spring in one of my mechs for over 2 years now, it's been heavily used, and it doesn't feel any weaker today than it did then. Still stands up without firing with any atty you put on it. I'm sure there is probably some measurable loss in stiffness but not any functionally speaking.

These magnets also break easily because they are thin and brittle, depending on when this happens it can easily cause an auto-fire situation. While it's possible to break springs by over stressing them anything a mod can survive the spring inside will too. Not so with magnets.

Personally I think springs feel much, much nicer than magnets anyway, although that's totally personally preference. The force with a spring is basically linear, again not so with magnets. Look into the mathematical relationship between distance and magnetic force, and then look into how linear springs work and you'll see that springs give a more consistent force throughout the travel of the button.

Also because of magnetic torque the magnetic force changes slightly if the magnets are rotated, like if you press a button off-center and it tilts the button, the magnet within rotates slightly and is no longer perfectly parallel to the other one and the force changes.

Try to press two switch magnets together by themselves, a force repels against you pressing, but it also moves around in all different directions and takes a lot of effort to stabilize them enough to press together. That same thing is going on inside the switch which causes a more squishy feel in my opinion.

Just personal preference on the feel, but springs aren't going to break anywhere near as easy as magnets.

Last edited:
    Reactions: beckdg

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Personally I don't think there is any. I've had the same spring in one of my mechs for over 2 years now, it's been heavily used, and it doesn't feel any weaker today than it did then. Still stands up without firing with any atty you put on it. I'm sure there is probably some measurable loss in stiffness but not any functionally speaking.

These magnets also break easily because they are thin and brittle, depending on when this happens it can easily cause an auto-fire situation. While it's possible to break springs by over stressing them anything a mod can survive the spring inside will too. Not so with magnets.

Personally I think springs feel much, much nicer than magnets anyway, although that's totally personally preference. The force with a spring is basically linear, again not so with magnets. Look into the mathematical relationship between distance and magnetic force, and then look into how linear springs work and you'll see that springs give a more consistent force throughout the travel of the button.
    thanks.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    It's a bit like the old PC thing some people spent thousands on top end hardware and skimped out on the power supplies now we have vapers taking chances with crap batteries I don't and never will understand the logic. Efest are one company I'd tell everyone to avoid they just rewrap and misrepresent other manufacturers just pay for the original battery and cut out the middle con.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Please don't ever put a battery in this condition in fresh water.

Lithium will self ignite when exposed to fresh water, you could have made a relatively not to bad situation extremely worse.

The safest thing to do is take it outside and let it sit on the concrete or a brick or something.

You have no idea how lucky you really actually are this night, had the can cracked open it could have exploded in your face.

Didn't know that water was actually a bad idea,

but to the OP, an IRON POT might be a good idea.
    Here's where I have my charger:

eDDijos.jpg

bought that pot in a kitchen place; it's painted so, it's not something I'd actually use for food anyway; you can see the pot cover on the right.
    If I ever get a problem with a battery, the plan is to drop it in the iron pot and put to cover on top.

So far so good, haven't had any of my 18650's vent on me and I think the chances are low, but in event of a problem, I've got my shtf-plan

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Agreed while not " better" then a spring many of the magnets take more force to depress

that kinda reminds me of the mod in my hand right now;
    it's an astro with an 18650 and a kick with a 30mm veritas on top.
    When I am rewicking it, I can stand it up vertically no problems.
    The problem comes when I get to used to doing that, and I put the veritas topcap on.
    OOps: just adding the topcap is enough to weigh down on the spring!
    fried my wick a couple times because of that.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    1: failed to lock the fire button properly
    2: stood the mod upright

I actually have some mods upright right now, but they're not in use, most don't have batteries, and the one or 2 that have a batt in them, I'm sure they are locked and they're not in use. Actually one is a vamo, so no lock bottom problem there.

bottom fired mechs which are in use I have laying horizontally.
    Yes, I have had incidents where I left bottom fired mechs upright not properly locked, and that's why I keep a row of them horizontal, and I don't even vape high wattage, and all my mechs have a kick... except the gppaps clone which doesn't have room for a kick+18650, but it does have a recessed button so that one stands up.

Actually one of these days I'll grind down a piece of the lock ring on the gppaps clone to make it more like the praxis to get the standup of a recessed button without the finger pain.
    praxis: semi recessed fire button - so you can stand it upright but fire it as easily as regular mech

Yes, I realize it was my own fault, and realized the danger a long time ago. I did get a king V2 that had a recessed firing pin AND a lock, but that one has a "hot button" to it.

Funny you mention a kick. I have a Nemesis which is a pain to lock because of the .5 threading. For that reason, I got a kick for that mod. Since most kicks don't go above 15w, I use that with a tank setup.

I realize I should put a magnet in the mod that got hot.. it is a SS caravela clone. The only reason it fired while it was upright, was because it was dark in the room. I usually visually inspect to make sure it's locked, but it's too dark to see. It probably would've been firing longer if I didn't see the bit of vapor coming up from the drip tip and thought "oh sh......"

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Please don't ever put a battery in this condition in fresh water.

Lithium will self ignite when exposed to fresh water, you could have made a relatively not to bad situation extremely worse.

The safest thing to do is take it outside and let it sit on the concrete or a brick or something.

You have no idea how lucky you really actually are this night, had the can cracked open it could have exploded in your face.

I did leave one quick part out... First I saw it autofiring, then I knocked it off the switch, then I tried to pick it up... found out it was too hot, then grabbed a dry wash cloth, took off the bottom cap in case it was venting then listened for any more activity.. I didn't hear any hissing or anything, that's when I put it in the water. The battery was in the tube when I ran water on it. It wasn't dunked into water, but the water flew on the SS mod and atomizer as it layed across the drain. It stayed lik that for a good 20 seconds. I did pick the mod up and put it back in the towel first... then I dunked both the battery and the mod in the sink. I didn't think it was venting ATM, but I didn't want it to get to that point. I didn't see any popped top or bottom cap., but I was thinking more of it conducting electricity than exposed lithium.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    Didn't know that water was actually a bad idea,

but to the OP, an IRON POT might be a good idea.
    Here's where I have my charger:

eDDijos.jpg

bought that pot in a kitchen place; it's painted so, it's not something I'd actually use for food anyway; you can see the pot cover on the right.
    If I ever get a problem with a battery, the plan is to drop it in the iron pot and put to cover on top.

So far so good, haven't had any of my 18650's vent on me and I think the chances are low, but in event of a problem, I've got my shtf-plan

I use a pyrex baking dish because I dont always keep an eye on my batteries while charging.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread