Confirmed reason to look for safe batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
If the battery got so hot that the OP was unable to touch the mod with his hands he said the mod was sizzling. Water or not the integrity of the battery is compromised and should be taken out of service and disposed of properly.

Edit: Back when I had a still I learned water boils at 212 degrees there is a slight variation the further you go above sea level but that taken aside if the water he poured on the mod sizzled Its safe to assume the external temp was at least 212 degrees.

Agreed. Also supporting the temperature is the fact the shrink wrap started to shrink further,and split it. Just looking at the heat shrink, I can tell they used a high quality shrink wrap... that was on the battery side. on the atomizer side, the delrin drip tip started to melt. Temperatures were up there.

1) it's not worth the gamble. Batteries are the cheapest part of the mod...even for a clone.
2) It is an older style battery. 1600MaH... It was nearing it's life cycle at 2 years old.

As far as the battery goes, I don't know what to do with it.. there's not a recycling area nearby. Definitely not going to be reused.

Reactions: SissySpike

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Agreed. Also supporting the temperature is the fact the shrink wrap started to shrink further,and split it. Just looking at the heat shrink, I can tell they used a high quality shrink wrap... that was on the battery side. on the atomizer side, the delrin drip tip started to melt. Temperatures were up there.

1) it's not worth the gamble. Batteries are the cheapest part of the mod...even for a clone.
2) It is an older style battery. 1600MaH... It was nearing it's life cycle at 2 years old.

As far as the battery goes, I don't know what to do with it.. there's not a recycling area nearby. Definitely not going to be reused.

Home Depot.

Andria

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

If you have an automotive light bulb or 6V flashlight bulb you could jury rig it across the cell to slowly discharge it completely. Heck, you could even use some old coils in series. Then toss the cell if there's no recycling drop off nearby.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    This happened just last night. Before bed last night, I decided to check the forums and email. My wife already was asleep. I decided to load up my dripper and vape while browsing. I put in a freshly charged battery. I was running a .2 ohm build in an older Efest 1600 V1 (rewrapped sony VTC3). I took a few puffs as I tried to load the website.... the internet was down, so I locked the mod, and went to the router to check things out.... After working with the router for about 5 minutes, I realized, I wasn't getting a signal from the internet provider.... so, I sat down to do some maintenance.... Through the light of the computer monitor, I saw some vapor coming from the drip tip..... the mod was NOT locked, and it was continuously firing for 5+ minutes. I went to pick it up, and it was too hot to pickup, so I turned it on the side so it would stop firing..... I grabbed a towel, and took it into the bathroom put it in the sink and turned on the water.... It sizzled when the water hit the mod. After a few seconds, I unscrewed the bottom button and took the battery out.

The mod cooled down battery stayed in the water for a bit. It was so hot, it started to split the shrink wrapping (it continued to shrink it until it split). The mod was fine, battery was fine... no bulging, smell, etc. I still might not use the battery just in case. turned out, I had not locked the bottom ring.

So, continued advice... do not vape a pulse rating, always vape continuous rating and use safe batteries.
    Strong magnet buttons are your friend. I do not use butter button mods for this very reason. Glad you are okay. Dodgingbullets...

Edit: Back when I had a still I learned water boils at 212 degrees there is a slight variation the further you go above sea level but that taken aside if the water he poured on the mod sizzled Its safe to assume the external temp was at least 212 degrees.

Actually, water boils at 100 degrees.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    Actually, water boils at 100 degrees.
    Yea thats that crazy metric system stuff that makes no since to Americans but the rest of the world uses ;)

Freezes at 0 and boils at 100 thats waaaaaay to simple its much better to remember water freezes at 32 ad boils at 212:blink:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    Best Buy just as you walk in the door on the right hand side in most stores. Its a good idea to put a piece of tape over the ends. While your there its a good time to grab that PS game youve been wanting also;)

Reactions: Bad Ninja

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Yes salt water is used to completely kill li batteries before disposal.
    You can see vids on tube showing how.

It has nothing to do with conductivity. Your trying to neutralize the chemical reactions within the cell

The same way as say baking soda turns acid into harmless water
    How does exposing the outside of an impenetrable cell to salt water neutralize the chemical inside the cell?

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Please don't ever put a battery in this condition in fresh water.

Lithium will self ignite when exposed to fresh water, you could have made a relatively not to bad situation extremely worse.

The safest thing to do is take it outside and let it sit on the concrete or a brick or something.

You have no idea how lucky you really actually are this night, had the can cracked open it could have exploded in your face.

Cooling a hot batt in water is the fastest way.

It's safe if the cell isn't venting.

Throw the hot cell in a bucket of water or douse it with a continuous stream.

If the battery vents, dump the bucket or stop the stream and cover the cell with baking soda to neutralize the thermo chemical reaction.

You can also toss it in a bucket of dirt or sand and cover it with sanf a couple inches to contain the vent.

Tapatyped

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    Cooling a hot batt in water is the fastest way.

It's safe if the cell isn't venting.

Throw the hot cell in a bucket of water or douse it with a continuous stream.

If the battery vents, dump the bucket or stop the stream and cover the cell with baking soda to neutralize the thermo chemical reaction.

You can also toss it in a bucket of dirt or sand and cover it with sanf a couple inches to contain the vent.

Tapatyped
    The only worry is if expansion and swelling does cause a crack, and your standing there staring at it.

People can do what they feel is best. But looking over my history at the dog track I don't really think chances are in my best interest lol

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    The only worry is if expansion and swelling does cause a crack, and your standing there staring at it.

People can do what they feel is best. But looking over my history at the dog track I don't really think chances are in my best interest lol

:blink:

You sound confident.

Well... I am confident.

ETA a little info... Engineered Power LP

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Seeing the amount of potential pain wrapped in that little tuna can, I prefer to take zero risk over good chance it never happens,,, any day.

Like I said to each their own, just trying to make it known what kind of danger is possible.
    What exactly do you think is going to happen?

I don't take chances, either.

Hence why I interjected.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Another note

Pyrex EXPLODES VIOLENTLY at a much lower temperature gradient than the difference between a Lithium thermochemical reaction and room temperature. (About 1/4 or less)

It also explodes when cooled rapidly.
    Glass shrapnel is the last thing I want to contend with when my battery vents.

I would suggest a better place to charge batteries of concern.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    It doesn't, they puncture the can or bag then submerge it or in cases of thermal runaway toss it in a bucketful
    Is there a specific gravity, salinity or electrical conductivity you want to shoot for? Is there a recipe to use like x amount of salt to every gallon?

Curious cause I've never seen anything I'd call definitive.

Tapatyped

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread