Confused about Diacetyl? You should be - read now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
The diacetyl/acetyl issue is complex, divisive and unresolved.

I've written an in-depth article outlining the history of DA/AP in e-liquids, why they're still there and the two diverging perspectives regarding their inclusion in e-liquids.

It's not an easy topic, as some would have it. Please have a read, and let me know your thoughts in the comments.

The article is here: Confused about diacetyl? You should be | Vaping.com

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Well written and showing all sides of the debate. Thank you for this, Smokey. I don't vape the sweet stuff, but the concern for the community is with me. I would hope manufacturers pay attention to the consumers and do their utmost in making vaping as safe as possible. Kudos to the companies who are currently doing so. And Kudos to you for showing both sides of the issue.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I'll admit I was thoroughly confused by this issue, to the point of avoiding threads and articles regarding diacetyl ...

Thanks for this article, it puts the topic "in a nutshell", and even a civilian like me, with nothing beyond a high school chemistry class, can grasp the overall concerns ...

If you vape, its required reading ...

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Excellent effort Sir!!

I also note that Five Pawns have just published their DA testing data that shows some quite astounding levels in some of their liquids to the point that at least one prominent uk re-seller has pulled all FP juices from their inventory. I am not trying to pick on FP here and I think there may be an element of over-reaction. Indeed they should be applauded for making these numbers available and I hope their stance and that of VS etc and other manufacturers and resellers in doing this should be also! Transparency here is key. The vaper needs to be well informed in terms that are understable to a layman and can then make his/her own judgement.

Your point about setting limits of detection is incredibly important and people need to realise that if they look closely at the testing data for juice suppliers who, in good faith i think, supply these data, the LoD are often ridiculously inadequate and by several orders of magnitude.

It is, potentially, and I say that advisedly, a problem but we all need to be sensible about the risk/benefit ratio in vaping compared with some other 'inhalation-based' pastimes i can think of...;)

Nice one anyway!!

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Especially if you vape the sweet stuff!

I'll admit I was thoroughly confused by this issue, to the point of avoiding threads and articles regarding diacetyl ...

Thanks for this article, it puts the topic "in a nutshell", and even a civilian like me, with nothing beyond a high school chemistry class, can grasp the overall concerns ...

If you vape, its required reading ...

Reactions: Kent Brooks

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
Nice article. I find myself somewhere between the soft and hard Farsalinos position. I don't think it's responsible to sell something with DA or PA, but I also believe that it's up to you what you do to your body.

I'll also say that the levels of DA and AP scare the heck out of me. I would bet that there is enough DA or AP that second hand vapor is still above risk levels.

If it were entirely up to me, I'd like to see them eliminated.

In the article, you state that Dr F found it in most sweet juices. I wonder if anyone knows the specifics. I would expect them in custards, but not fruits. Kind of surprised by that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent Brooks

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Nice article. I find myself somewhere between the soft and hard Farsalinos position. I don't think it's responsible to sell something with DA or PA, but I also believe that it's up to you what you do to your body.

I'll also say that the levels of DA and AP scare the heck out of me. I would bet that there is enough DA or AP that second hand vapor is still above risk levels.

If it were entirely up to me, I'd like to see them eliminated.

In the article, you state that Dr F found it in most sweet juices. I wonder if anyone knows the specifics. I would expect them in custards, but not fruits. Kind of surprised by that.

second hand there is no risk. We are talking about high level exposure on a regular basis.If someone was stood in front of you and breathing in directly what you were exhaling then maybe, but they would have to be doing that all the time right?!? These compounds are not mutagenic, they are irritants if you like that over a prolonged period of time can generate a catastrophic immune response (eg popcorn lung). Its a chronic issue versus an acute one..at least thats what I think..!!

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
The diacetyl/acetyl issue is complex, divisive and unresolved.

I've written an in-depth article outlining the history of DA/AP in e-liquids, why they're still there and the two diverging perspectives regarding their inclusion in e-liquids.

It's not an easy topic, as some would have it. Please have a read, and let me know your thoughts in the comments.

The article is here: Confused about diacetyl? You should be | Vaping.com

Thank you very much for this educating work.

I know where I wish to be in coming years:
in a world where vaping is fun and safe and accepted to be done freely everywhere. ( we are not getting there yet)

I think at this time and era of capabilities,the bar should be set as high as it can,for the better of all of as.
At the same time while I'm not too weary of those components in our e juice,as almost 3 years without analog
stands to prove me I'm feeling way better with any e juices then when I used the ash stuff.

But; in regard to my first line "where I want to be"..... I prefer taking the step towards the
first Dr Farsalinos Hard approach!
we should ask demand and push producers to make and seek for the best final product
That can be achieved,and it's stand right for vaping and for other industeries as well.

Better us then Other string pullers

If we agree on the hard standards we will eliminate some of the "fire material" that propaganda
And un educated and string pullers trying to built in regard to the vapping.

with more strait highest standards we will be able to save more and faster analog users and pull them to the "vaping
Side of the porch".

If the final end come could be free vaping and better acceptance to vaping by
All and turn analog to be a part of History learning, shouldn't we try our best to make it actual happen ???

And in this particular I think better done by the users then by others for the users.

Cheers :)
Itshak.

Stringer63

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
KY
Excellent write-up. My take is from the perspective of risk reduction and vaping as an effective tool to stop smoking. With that, I would encourage all juice vendors to fully disclose any ingredients containing these chemicals for informed decisions by consumers so that they are aware and can decide what they choose to use. I think that until the research arrives at a conclusion, this is the best approach. In the mean time, I really hope the flavor companies will find alternatives somehow. It's all better than smoking - I have no doubt about that.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Thank you very much for this educating work.

I know where I wish to be in coming years:
in a world where vaping is fun and safe and accepted to be done freely everywhere. ( we are not getting there yet)

I think at this time and era of capabilities,the bar should be set as high as it can,for the better of all of as.
At the same time while I'm not too weary of those components in our e juice,as almost 3 years without analog
stands to prove me I'm feeling way better with any e juices then when I used the ash stuff.

But; in regard to my first line "where I want to be"..... I prefer taking the step towards the
first Dr Farsalinos Hard approach!
we should ask demand and push producers to make and seek for the best final product
That can be achieved,and it's stand right for vaping and for other industeries as well.

Better us then Other string pullers

If we agree on the hard standards we will eliminate some of the "fire material" that propaganda
And un educated and string pullers trying to built in regard to the vapping.

with more strait highest standards we will be able to save more and faster analog users and pull them to the "vaping
Side of the porch".

If the final end come could be free vaping and better acceptance to vaping by
All and turn analog to be a part of History learning, shouldn't we try our best to make it actual happen ???

And in this particular I think better done by the users then by others for the users.

Cheers :)
Itshak.
i Absolutely agree with you but this will come at a cost which is a limitation (pending any developmenets in flavour technology) in the flavours available. Fact is these things make particular types of juice what they are. Take them away and the juice will not work. I dont vape juices (custards etc) that 'need' DA etc to work but many do..everything has its price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread