Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
And.... the KISS principle for someone who acknowledges herself as a newbie and confused. Jumpin In - you shouldn't need another battery right away if you have two but if you want another just get a regular non-vv batt for now. You can experiment later. Find some flavors that you like at the wattage that is good using the different ohm coils for now. Get a good start, then shop. lol

Well, she (has that been established? ;)) can also set her new VV battery at 3.8v and forget about it. Then in the future, if she (?) wants a bit more (or less) power, she can just turn the dial ever so slightly... :D

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Heh heh. So I sound...errr...write...like a girl, huh? Sorry to disappoint, but I was still a guy the last time I looked. Not that writing like a girl is necessarily a bad thing, as I find that women are generally more tactful about things and often have a way of making people comfortable enough to "talk" more.

Which reminds me. I once walked into the office of an off-island attorney I had been collaborating with, introduced myself and asked to borrow the key to the restroom. I had a scheduled meeting with him that day and had already had telephone conversations with several of the gals on his staff prior to my visit. I noticed that a couple of the gals were whispering to each other and were looking at me with strange, sort of mildly shocked looks on their faces and I finally asked "Is everything OK? You look a little shocked or something." They laughed and said "Oh no. It's just that you're so...tall." After thinking about that while using the restroom, I walked back into their office and said "You know, I was thinking about it and...I guess I must sound short." They had a good laugh.

Anyway, my guess is that Katya was tipped off by my "coffee" post in one of the threads in the New Members section. (Am I right, Katya?) That's probably not something many women would have done. She gave me a "face slap" for that one, which made me smile. I've been known to do stuff like that in real life. My wife sometimes jokingly tells people "I can't take him anywhere."

Anyway, back on topic.

Regarding gear, there is one indisputable fact: "All men must have toys." So try as I might to resist, I'm sometimes prone to having what is known in some guitarists circles (one of my hobbies) as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). With respect to electric guitar gear, I've been quite successful in fending off the onset of GAS. When I see an effects pedal or amplifier or a guitar that I want, I'm almost always able to talk myself out of buying it by telling myself that "90% of playing is in your fingers, so just spend more time practicing."

Unfortunately, I so far can't think of such an "excuse" in this arena, so we'll just have to see how it goes. I'm not one that always has to have the best of things, but..."All men must have toys." I'm also fairly practical by nature and therefore see the value of getting stuff that is "good enough" and that won't cause me distress if I lose or break it. After all, if it's not too expensive, I can just shrug and buy another...but then again, "All men must have toys." I see the value of having batteries that perform well enough but are still small enough to easily carry around, but the mere fact that I already know what a Provari, an iTaste 134 and a Sigelei is brings us back to realization that "All men must have toys." (The review Phil Busardo did on the 134 was hilarious.)

So there you have it. We'll just have to see how it goes.

For now, I'll stick to what I've ordered. If I get a VV model next - which I probably will, I at this point think I would lean toward keeping the size reasonable as Kent C suggested. I have no desire to walk around with a drumstick in my hand. (I mean...I'm a guitar player - not a drummer.) I might want to try dripping at some point, but for now I've talked myself out of it, as it sounds like it's almost as much hassle to clean a drip atomizer as it is to clean a clearomizer, and I'm not sure I want to walk around the house with a juice bottle in my hands. I mean -- I *lose* stuff...even in my own house. <grin> (But then again...and here comes GAS...doesn't VW sound cool?)

Right now, my focus is first, to find my appropriate nicotine concentration level, and second, to find a few juices I like. I think that once I've got part one down, I'll start a "What's your all day vape" thread as Kent C suggested and order a few sampler kits. Oh - I'm really not a menthol guy - left the Kools for Marlboros way way back in my undergraduate days. Mint chocolate and coffee, on the other hand....

Don't get me wrong, though. I really, really, really appreciate all the information you are all "feeding" me and I'm gleefully trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Hopefully the fun part doesn't stop once I get my starter kit and get down to business.

Thank you all once again for using your precious time to help me along. I used to be involved in a FAH team. When I first started posting there, one of the regulars wrote something like "You, my friend, are a glutton for knowledge." I guess I am like that at times. I'm sure that will diminish over time, though.

Oh -- btw I sometimes get carried away once I start writing. Can you tell? :blink:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

So there you have it. We'll just have to see how it goes.

For now, I'll stick to what I've ordered. If I get a VV model next - which I probably will, I at this point think I would lean toward keeping the size reasonable as Kent C suggested. I have no desire to walk around with a drumstick in my hand. (I mean...I'm a guitar player - not a drummer.) I might want to try dripping at some point, but for now I've talked myself out of it, as it sounds like it's almost as much hassle to clean a drip atomizer as it is to clean a clearomizer, and I'm not sure I want to walk around the house with a juice bottle in my hands. I mean -- I *lose* stuff...even in my own house. <grin> (But then again...and here comes GAS...doesn't VW sound cool?)

Right now, my focus is first, to find my appropriate nicotine concentration level, and second, to find a few juices I like. I think that once I've got part one down, I'll start a "What's your all day vape" thread as Kent C suggested and order a few sampler kits. Oh - I'm really not a menthol guy - left the Kools for Marlboros way way back in my undergraduate days. Mint chocolate and coffee, on the other hand....

Don't get me wrong, though. I really, really, really appreciate all the information you are all "feeding" me and I'm gleefully trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Hopefully the fun part doesn't stop once I get my starter kit and get down to business.

Thank you all once again for using your precious time to help me along. I used to be involved in a FAH team. When I first started posting there, one of the regulars wrote something like "You, my friend, are a glutton for knowledge." I guess I am like that at times. I'm sure that will diminish over time, though.

Oh -- btw I sometimes get carried away once I start writing. Can you tell? :blink:

Sorry about that.... :blush:

homer_doh.jpg

Guitar player here too :thumb: Do you perform locally?.... I vacation in Maui.

The 'focus' - find the nic level/good ejuices to start is what I focused on. Once you get that and basic vaping down, you'll have more info on what toys to buy :facepalm: :laugh:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Anyway, my guess is that Katya was tipped off by my "coffee" post in one of the threads in the New Members section. (Am I right, Katya?) That's probably not something many women would have done. She gave me a "face slap" for that one, which made me smile. I've been known to do stuff like that in real life. My wife sometimes jokingly tells people "I can't take him anywhere."

It wasn't a face slap. It was a facepalm! :facepalm:

facepalm-gif-56.gif

Your post cracked me up! :lol:

Anyway, back on topic.

Regarding gear, there is one indisputable fact: "All men must have toys." So try as I might to resist, I'm sometimes prone to having what is known in some guitarists circles (one of my hobbies) as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

For now, I'll stick to what I've ordered. If I get a VV model next - which I probably will, I at this point think I would lean toward keeping the size reasonable as Kent C suggested. I have no desire to walk around with a drumstick in my hand.

More like a flute, to be exact.

Sounds like a plan. Keep it simple for now. You can always get more stuff--and the technology improves daily, really!

Yes, we can, dear! :D

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Kent C: No harm, no foul, AFAIC. So some people think I sound short and write like a girl. No big deal. <grin>

Re guitar, it's strictly an almost-lifetime hobby for me, not a vocation. Do you play professionally?

Can you recommend a drip set up thy would match my equipment? When I asked my vendor over the phone about a set up, he seemed to think I was insane. Could well be that I described it wrong, but he said he'd never heard of anyone dripping juice directly on an atomizer. I think he suggested cartos. I didn't see any bridgeless atomizers at that site anyway.

I will check out the juices you mentioned, but at this point I'm thinking: Halo tobacco sample pack, small to medium bottle of Halo Shamrock, Alice in Vapeland sample pack and the espresso & capp we discussed. That should keep me going for a while.

Kayta: yeah I got the drift of the "face palm" mostly right. I had to zoom in to see what that thing was and ended up bringing up the icon list in the advanced post screen to see what it was called...then got the name wrong in my "book". I say "mostly right" as I thought it was more like when you hear something so totally outrageous that you are stumped, so you place your hand over your eyes and slowly drag it down over your face and go "Oookayyy..." and think to yourself, "Oh my gawd...where did this guy come from? What the heck do I say to THAT?".

I guess you watch Korean dramas? That gal looks familiar.

I looked at the Ahlusions website. Maybe I was already hungry, but the pictures had me close to drooling. They look sooo good.

Kent, Katya & Train2: I gotta tell you - I really like the "tone" of you posts. You three remind me of some of the honchos at my former FAH team's website.

Train2: Thanks for gently steering me away from the G6 and toward the Kangertech Starter Kit. The Kanger is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Jumpin' In..: Kent C: No harm, no foul, AFAIC. Me too.

Re guitar, it's strictly an almost-lifetime hobby for me, not a vocation. Do you play professionally?

No.... lifetime hobby as well. Did 'local' stuff when younger for a short time.

Can you recommend a drip set up thy would match my equipment? When I asked my vendor over the phone about a set up, he seemed to think I was insane. Could well be that I described it wrong, but he said he'd never heard of anyone dripping juice directly on an atomizer. I think he suggested cartos. I didn't see any bridgeless atomizers at that site anyway.

Can't believe the vendor said that but... people drip directly on the atomizer - that's what dripping is. ;) Actually the best setup for sampling ejuices is using a Joye eGo-c Twist batt (I prefer the 650mAh size) with a regular Joye 510 atomizer (2.2ohms) and a 510 drip tip. Drip three drops of ejuice through the top of the drip tip and vape - start at around 3.4V and then dial in the 'sweet spot' for the flavor. Again strong flavors will require more heat, lighter flavors less heat. I use a VG/H2O distilled 80:20 - plain no nic, no flavoring blend to cleanse. You can vape it out. Some use pga or vodka to cleanse. With some stronger flavors, put 3-4 drops of the vg blend (you could also use PG but I vape VG based ejuices) and vape it or if it's a strong flavor, remove the atomizer and blow it out into a paper towel. Since you don't do menthol, that should do it. Add your next flavor, vape, change voltage, note voltage, cleanse and continue, etc. etc. :)

Joyetech Joye eGo-C Twist Variable Voltage 650mAh Battery
Joyetech Joye 510 Atomizer
Drip Tip for Joye510 or DSE901

Alternative to the 510 atty is the 306 - same threading: (drip tip included - this is what I use but from avid vapers).
Low Resistance (LR) Atomizer - 306

I will check out the juices you mentioned, but at this point I'm thinking: Halo tobacco sample pack, small to medium bottle of Halo Shamrock, Alice in Vapeland sample pack and the espresso & capp we discussed. That should keep me going for a while.

Definitely do sample packs. If I would have done the above early on, I would have saved much money. lol. And your palate/taste will change for about a month or more, so don't 'bulk buy' anything. If you really like a particular ejuice/flavor, then find someone else who also likes that flavor and tastes the same notes you do in it. Then find out what else they like :) That is really a much better way of finding new flavors than reading all the raves in the ejuice threads. There IS some objectivity between similar palates, otherwise it's a pretty subjective subject. Personally, I'm not a fan of Halo - a bit too strong tobacco-wise for me, but many here really love it. Good luck!

You might enjoy my 'Maui galleries':

kentc's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
OK, I edited my post... :facepalm: :D :p Korean drama? ;)

Taste is subjective. Finding the right juice is very, very important. If you don't enjoy your vape, you won't vape. Buy small samples at the beginning. There's nothing more depressing than a 30 ml bottle of unvapeable juice sitting on your desk.

No no no no! I LIKED the face palm! I thought that was funny!! Like I said, it made me smile.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
My stuff came in today. I went 2 3/4 hours this morning without a smoke because I wanted to see what kind of first-hit-of-the-day I would get from the EVOD. Had to go to the post office, bring it home, charge the battery, load the tank, etc. By the time I was set up, my body was probably nicotine starved - it had been telling me every 5 minutes or so "I need a cig....Hello....I need a cig..." for maybe an hour by then.

So I finally sat down on the couch and took a hit of 18mg/l. WHACK! Throat hit was harder than I expected. Held it in for a little, then exhaled. Paused for a few seconds, took another hit and felt the buzz coming on. By the time I finished the third draw, the buzz was pretty strong so I stopped there. Seemed stronger than my usual 1st cig of the day buzz, but maybe that was because my body needed the nicotine. The taste seemed pretty close to my cig - a little off, but not disturbing.

I've been switching back and forth between 12 and 18 since then (mostly 12, actually), but haven't had a cigarette yet. I've been just taking a couple of hits whenever I felt like it - I dunno, maybe every 1/2 hour or so.

Starting to have a very slight headache - I very rarely get headaches - so I plan to start the day with 12 tomorrow and see how that goes. I kind of think that the 18 might be too strong for me, but we'll see. If I get through the day without a cig, it will have been a nice National Vape Day. It's still around 7 pm here and I'm usually up until the wee hours, so there's a way to go.

So far, I'm impressed.

Thanks for the dripping hardware info, Kent. I was just bookmarking the BWB coffee page and noticed that they run heavy VG blends, so I thought maybe I should get a drip set-up just in case the stuff is too thick for my EVODs. Does the atomizer have to be bridgeless? I think BWB carries a 306. I don't know whether their LR 510 is Joye or not.

I gotta get some other flavors. I don't think I like particularly the taste of tobacco; I think I just put up with it since I didn't have a choice. So unless other flavors taste worse....

Guess I should go hunting for some pure VG soon for priming wicks and stuff -- local Walmart, Longs or Walgreen I guess.

If I succeed here, it will be in large part due to the support of all of you. Thank you.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Guitar player here also!!!!
I'm the opposite of you Jumpin in, I have no desire to go beyond an ego/evod setup, but the guitar gear.........

Heh heh. I have a number of friends like you, and unfortunately guitar based GAS can cost a LOT more than vape based GAS. Lucky for me, I've always been partial to clean, thick, midrange-y neck-pickup jazz type sound - or the crystal clear ring of a Strat. Compared to guitar GAS, a Provari is next to nothing. <grin>

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Jumpin' In:.....

I had a few headaches early on and don't get headaches.... figured it was from vaping - sucking too hard and the headache was back of the neck muscles... but it could be too much nic too...

So far, I'm impressed.

Thanks for the dripping hardware info, Kent. I was just bookmarking the BWB coffee page and noticed that they run heavy VG blends, so I thought maybe I should get a drip set-up just in case the stuff is too thick for my EVODs.

I vape 'all VG' which isn't 100% VG, (about 65-70% with the flavoring, nicotine and H2O and whatever the flavoring base is....) just no (or little) PG, and it works well with the Kanger Bottom coil clearos - Tabac BCC/T3/T3S/mini protank II, so that isn't a problem BUT I DIY mine with a nic base in VG:H2O 83:17, a diluent/blend of VG:H20 same ratio and flavoring. Some premixes do not dilute their VG with water and that can cause problems, not just with bottom coils but other stuff as well, and those are the 'reports' you're reading on other threads with VG. Or some PG fanboy who wants to discourage VG use because THEY're not using it. lol. So... it's best to find out if your vendor is using a VG:H2O blend as a base instead of pure VG - even if it's in a VG:pG ratio.

Does the atomizer have to be bridgeless?

No. The reason I suggest Joye (or cisco - avid vapers) 510 or 306 is that they normally have more metal mesh on the bridge and around the base near the coil. The metal mesh holds juice and that helps prevent dry hits. Some 510's have a metal 'washer' at the base and you don't really want to experience a dry hit with one of those. The 'rule' for dripping is to redrip at the first sign of less flavor - if you go past that you'll get to burning, then you'll have to soak the atty in vodka to get rid of that. And if you go too long with no flavor (ie no ejuice) you can burn out the coil.

I think BWB carries a 306. I don't know whether their LR 510 is Joye or not.

They're 'bauway'.

I gotta get some other flavors. I don't think I like particularly the taste of tobacco; I think I just put up with it since I didn't have a choice. So unless other flavors taste worse....

Guess I should go hunting for some pure VG soon for priming wicks and stuff -- local Walmart, Longs or Walgreen I guess.

Suggest this:

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/liq-vgh-15m.htm

Except before hand email Vicky (owner) and ask you if you could have the 30ml bottle. Tell her Kent said to ask :)

Also if you go there you could pick up a 306 Joye atty:

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/306-att-blk.htm

you don't need a cartridge - just a drip tip:

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/306-drp-tpd.htm

If I succeed here, it will be in large part due to the support of all of you. Thank you.

:thumb:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
. . .

Suggest this:

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/liq-vgh-15m.htm

Except before hand email Vicky (owner) and ask you if you could have the 30ml bottle. Tell her Kent said to ask :)

Also if you go there you could pick up a 306 Joye atty:

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/306-att-blk.htm

you don't need a cartridge - just a drip tip:

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/306-drp-tpd.htm

Think I'll jump on this, assuming the shipping cost is reasonable. But just so I understand,

1. The VG/distilled water mix is for cleaning the atomizer between juices and priming wicks, etc., right?

2. When I email the owner, am I asking for a 30 ml bottle of the VG mix or am I asking for a 30 ml mixing dropper bottle? :?:

Thanks again.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Think I'll jump on this, assuming the shipping cost is reasonable. But just so I understand,

1. The VG/distilled water mix is for cleaning the atomizer between juices and priming wicks, etc., right?

2. When I email the owner, am I asking for a 30 ml bottle of the VG mix or am I asking for a 30 ml mixing dropper bottle? :?:

Thanks again.

JI,

The VG/Distilled water mix is for 'cleansing' between flavors when dripping. You can also vape it - lots of vapor, no nic ;) Not for priming of wicks... you basically do that when you drip regular ejuice.

When email ask for the 30 ml bottle of the VG:H2O mix. You could buy 2 bottles of the 15 but she has special 30ml bottles sometimes. thin tips...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Thanks again.

Before you email Vicky, here's some more information about unflavored eliquids--with or without nicotine added.

Many ejuice vendors offer either unflavored VG or PG in different nic strengths. I like Deejstuff because he lets you customize your blends. YOu can choose any combination of VG and PG up to 36 mg/ml.

Unflavored - $5.20 : deejStuff eLiquid, The Apocalypse can wait...

I always have a bottle of 70PG/30VG 12 mg/ml to dilute my eliquids if they taste too strong, for instance, and one bottle of 36 mg/ml in case I want to make my eliquid stronger (I vape 12 mg normally). I also have a bottle of 100% PG (no nic) to clean my coils--I just vape some unflavored, of any kind, between juices, to clean my coils PG is a very good solvent and gets a lot of gunk off the coils. You can use it also to lower the nic strength of your juice--just add a drop or two per ml. You can use VG or PG or a blend--doesn't matter.

You can get 100% US P(pharma grade) glycerin at many drug stores; Humco brand sold by Wal-Mart is good and inexpensive--just get distilled water to thin it out a bit. 10-15% water is a good ratio.

PG needs to be bought online unless you have a tractor supply store nearby--they sell the stuff by the gallon. :D Just make sure it's USP grade.

BTW, all BWB juices are 70% PG/30% VG (only Malty and Malty Toffee are VG heavy at 30% PG/70% VG). Those are not heavy VG blends at all--80/20 or 70/30 PG/VG ratios are standard and that's what I use. They wick well and work great in all toppers.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Jumpin' In... don't get me wrong - you can get VG and PG almost anywhere. And you could blend it with distilled water yourself. My focus was on cleansing for dripping but you can also get plain nic in PG and VG or a combination - like Katya says - from almost any vendor. Vicki at cignot has specific 30ml bottles with thin tips that are great for later use.

Many clearos, protanks and the new eGo-cc have a small gap between the center tube (which you want to avoid) and the side of the tank. I find those thin tips useful is all. Best for lowering nic level is 0mg in the same flavor that you're vaping... that way you dilute the nic but not the flavor.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
All good info, thanks.

Actually, when Kent suggested buying the VG/distilled water mix, I figured there was something in there beyond the mix itself that he thought I should have. I had already found out - and mentioned in this thread - that I could get 100% USP VG at some drugstores and I was going to Walmart, Longs or Walgreen's to pick up a bottle. So when Kent mentioned buying online I thought to myself "Ahh. I need another bottle to drop VG into the atty for cleaning, so if I'm going to pay for shipping to get the atomizer and drip-tip anyway, what the heck." (I'm a newbie, so I don't have spare juice bottles lying around yet. I would rather have a glass dropper type bottle, but that will probably have to wait until I find a juice that I really like.)

To be honest, I was trying to find a reputable juice dealer who sold an appropriate atomizer (lots of 'em seem to sell drip tips) so as to minimize shipping costs - but that was driving me nuts anyway. I finally decided to stick with my current juice purchase plan and suck up the shipping costs on the atomizer.

Still, all the information regarding the uses for PG and VG unflavored, nic loaded or unloaded juices is very helpful to me, especially since I'm beginning to think my appropriate nic level is somewhere between 18 and 12 mg/l. Hopefully I'll be able to figure that out relatively soon, or I'll risk running out of juice before I can get new stock in.

Also helpful is the fact that BWB are not high-VG mixes - I thought some of them were, hence my somewhat premature decision to enter into the drip world. (Hmm. Maybe I was looking at Ahlusions or something?)

I'll give it all some thought. Thanks again!

BTW, have either of you tried the baking soda and vinegar cleaning method for a drip atomizer? Saw a vid and it made sense to me.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
BTW, have either of you tried the baking soda and vinegar cleaning method for a drip atomizer? Saw a vid and it made sense to me.

I wouldn't use vinegar on any electronic components--it's acid. I soak in PGA (Everclear). And vaping some unflavored (VG, PG, or a blend, with or without nicotine) is the best way to keep the coil clean between juices, as Kent recommended.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I use Galen's 151 proof vodka - cheap (here anyway). Charcoal filtered, unflavored, uncolored. Put atty, clearo, coil unit in a glass jar (mason jar with top) fully submerged, for about a half hour, let dry on paper towel. It gets most of the gunk. There are a lot of other ways - tried most - stuck with this. It's non corrosive, not water, no soap, not a 'minty mouthwash' :) and is for human consumption, although I don't suggest it. lol... There's better stuff :D

If a coil gets to have to hard a draw, I'll throw it in vodka... coil can last for months that way. About three times then I pitch it. With dripping, the best cleansing without removing the atty is as Katya said (and where I got it from first - it's like using gum to clean up gum lol) - with PG or VG/H2O... drip 3 or 4 drops just like you were dripping ejuice - you can vape it or sometimes you need to remove it and blow it out - depending on the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread