Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Understood. I just never even mention it because of what I said about people not following instructions.(not Jumpin). Plus I've been told by a friend the works at Campbells, that it can leave a film on some metals where it is hard to remove, but I have no other source on that. Besides, I haven't had anything that wouldn't clean up with vodka for at least 3 or 4 times before I pitch the coil.

If you have a minute, check this thread out. It made me change my mind on the subject.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ropyl-alchol-cleaning-atty-4.html#post7603234

This thread and some research I made on my own--subsequently. :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If you have a minute, check this thread out. It made me change my mind on the subject.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ropyl-alchol-cleaning-atty-4.html#post7603234

This thread and some research I made on my own--subsequently. :)

I've read it. Like I said in the beginning :facepalm: There are pro-iso and anti-iso sides. People should decide for themselves but they should do research for themselves. I don't recommend leaving a battery on a charger overnight or using isopropyl to clean coils, because I KNOW someone is going to do that where it MAY have a bad result. The worst that could happen with vodka is that they drink it! lol and that's not all that bad.

Here's another source. Huffing iso became a 'thing' at one point...

Side Effects Of Inhaling Isopropyl Alcohol | LIVESTRONG.COM

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Here's another source. Huffing iso became a 'thing' at one point...

Side Effects Of Inhaling Isopropyl Alcohol | LIVESTRONG.COM

From your source:

According to Purdue University, do not use alcohol to bathe someone who is experiencing a fever because of these serious side effects that can occur.

In all seriousness, I have no intention of ever taking a bath in ISO, but I've been inhaling it for years--every time I've used hand sanitizer, cleaned my electronics and other objects with it, or used it to disinfect a scrape on my skin.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
From your source: "do not use alcohol to bathe someone "

You realize that they're still talking about isopropyl alcohol, right??

In all seriousness, I have no intention of ever taking a bath in ISO, but I've been inhaling it for years--every time I've used hand sanitizer, cleaned my electronics and other objects with it, or used it to disinfect a scrape on my skin.

Your medical sources are mainly about external use and second hand "smoke" type as far as inhalation goes. I'm talking having iso in the area where you're atomizing whatever is there, directly. And in something that one uses throughout the day, 16/7. (me: 19/7) ;)

Still, your choice.... and mine and Jumpin' In's.... :)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Your medical sources are mainly about external use and second hand "smoke" type as far as inhalation goes. I'm talking having iso in the area where you're atomizing whatever is there, directly. And in something that one uses throughout the day, 16/7. (me: 19/7) ;)

Still, your choice.... and mine and Jumpin' In's.... :)

Absolutely!

We report they decide! :D

ETA: This is what I'm currently using:

spirytusbottle.jpg

Spirits distilled from grain, 96% Alc/Vol, 192 proof. :)

Makes killer limoncello also--I use Meyer lemons from my garden. :D

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I have always been curious why someone will go to the trouble of saving money rewicking yet they spend tons of money on the mods.

Jc, most (or at least very, very many) folks rebuild not to save money but to improve wicking and flavor. They experiment with different kinds of wicking materials and wires and claim to prefer their own coils and wicks.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Absolutely!

We report they decide! :D

ETA: This is what I'm currently using:

spirytusbottle.jpg

Spirits distilled from grain, 96% Alc/Vol, 192 proof. :)

Makes killer limoncello also--I use Meyer lemons from my garden. :D

Wow.... I think everclear is close to that. The highest we go is 151. There is a low proof everclear but I stuck with Galen's.... I was just watching 'Hawaii Life' on hgtv - they have mangos, bananas, papaya, coconuts in their yards :facepalm: I have a few tomato plants.... well... acorns for the deer, wild grapevines, wild raspberries that grab me while mowing... but not for long lol. I'd prefer the Hawaiian yard. :)

nap317

Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
indianapolis
I've been using 1.8 ohm heads on my evod battery. Everything else was too much effort!

I asked my kid brother for booze advice for cleaning. He's in college so is familiar with liquor; I'm old at 33 now and don't do much past beer. I got some Skol 50% vodka, cheap. I don't know if people actually drink it, I hope not, but it's been working to clean stuff out for me pretty good.

The great thing about evod heads is they are cheap. I'm finally where I can tell when it needs thrown away and not just cleaned. At Discount Vapers they are cheap with fast shipping. Happy I found them and moved to Kanger from 808s....

CloudyDaze

Oct 6, 2013
Colorado
Would you mind if I borrowed this to use in the newbies member areas sometimes?

Too many people recommend to newbies to go 18 or + and I keep trying to discourage that, since I was getting massive headaches when I started, til some kind soul figured out I should start vaping at 12-14mg max, based on my previous smoking habits. :)

A newbie friend got "nic-ed out" because she was an ultra lite smoker, and she threw up because she really only needed about 9mg.

I think a lot of new members really over do it on the nic strength ......

I think it really depends on the person.

I found that with the way my day plays out, 36mg is good for my uses. I don't have time to sit there and vape for 10 mins, so I need to be able to hit it a few times and be done.

When I'm just sitting around at home wanting to vape away, I use a 12mg. The 36mg gets more use though, as I rarely have 10 mins to just put into vaping.......one thing I really like about vaping is that it isn't time consuming like smoking was. I got lots of time back, and I'm keeping it!

Though, like I said, I might take 2-3 heavy hits an hour. A hit is about 6-7 second draw.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Just dropped into this thread and went "Whoa! What have I missed?" Apparently I somehow switched my thread subscription notifications from email to my "control panel" (whatever THAT is).

Thanks for all the information and links re using isopropyl alcohol to clean attys. I will peruse the links with my usual fervor. :p The interplay of the discussion was pretty interesting to "watch" though. :)

I've been searching for juices and have a bunch to test, so I've been cleaning a tank at least once very couple of days. At present, I take them apart, soak them for a while in hot water, rinse them out, soak them again then take the pieces out to dry. Then I take off the top post of the head and soak the bottom section - including the flavor wicks - in the cheap 80 proof vodka I bought for a couple of hours, then I...uh...(dun' hit me now)...do a dry burn on the coil while blowing it out, put everything back together and fill 'er up with a new juice.

So far so good, probably because I don't do more than a couple of tanks between cleanings.

Still don't know what to think about dripping. I tried a few juices in the 306 atty, got decent vapor but only mediocre flavor and ZERO throat hit out of any of them. I was a little disappointed, as everything I've read seems to indicate that you get the best flavor, throat hit and vapor from a drip set-up. I used one of the dripped juices - Halo's Shamrock - in an EVOD with a 2.2 ohm head and I think I got as least as much flavor and vapor, plus a decent throat hit. Haven't tried the rest of them in an EVOD yet, but I'll get there. They are Alice's and are supposed to be on the subtle side, so we'll see.

Can't figure it out, but I later found out that the 306 attys are 2.2-2.4 ohm. So maybe I need more voltage?

So I ordered a Kanger VV 650 battery to see if that might make a difference. (Well, that's MY excuse anyway...:)) While I was at it, I also ordered a Mini Protank 2 (static tip) for those tank cracking juices, a pack of 1.8 ohm heads, a spare usb charging cord and a piece of 1mm silica cord to replace flavor wicks that fall apart during the cleaning process. (Man I'm tempted to order some 2mm silica cord and some kanthal wire to try rebuilding coils...) GAS!

I should be set hardware wise for quite some time! (Yeah, right...) :D

Miscellaneous reaponses:

But if you know where to look... Do you have any ethnic (Russian, European) markets around?

Heh. Here on Maui? That made me chuckle... We've got ethnic markets, but not those - I don't think, anyway.

Spirits distilled from grain, 96% Alc/Vol, 192 proof.

Wow. I'd like to try a jigger of that...no wait...maybe just a sip? :blink: From where the heck did you acquire THAT? Is that really drinkable?

... I was just watching 'Hawaii Life' on hgtv - they have mangos, bananas, papaya, coconuts in their yards I have a few tomato plants.... well... acorns for the deer, wild grapevines, wild raspberries that grab me while mowing... but not for long lol. I'd prefer the Hawaiian yard. :)

My neighbor gives us a hand of bananas from his yard every 2-3 weeks or so. We had a mango tree in our yard when I was growing up. Let me tell you...you DON'T want a mango tree. The thing drops hard leaves year round (ditto with a lychee tree) and is a terrible thing to clean up after - and you might not get many mangoes if there are a couple of days of heavy winds at an inopportune time. My parents were lucky they had us kids to rake the yard all the time. ;) BUT, there is nothing like cold, fresh, ripe but still firm Hayden mangoes. Love 'em. And don't get me started on fresh, ripe but still firm papaya eaten with a twist of lime. Heaven. Never been much of a coconut fan though. Don't even like it on cakes. The milk is good in curry, though.

Right now, the only thing edible we grow is ginger. Wife grows orhids, I take care of a couple of patches of flowering ginger and a few anthuriums. We intend to air-graft a super-sweet orange tree from my in-laws house, though. Never, ever had oranges that sweet!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Jumpin' In:Still don't know what to think about dripping. I tried a few juices in the 306 atty, got decent vapor but only mediocre flavor and ZERO throat hit out of any of them. I was a little disappointed, as everything I've read seems to indicate that you get the best flavor, throat hit and vapor from a drip set-up. I used one of the dripped juices - Halo's Shamrock - in an EVOD with a 2.2 ohm head and I think I got as least as much flavor and vapor, plus a decent throat hit. Haven't tried the rest of them in an EVOD yet, but I'll get there. They are Alice's and are supposed to be on the subtle side, so we'll see.

The one thing about dripping with an LR atty, is that you also need an eGo-twist (or some VV) for sampling flavors as some flavors will wash out on too much wattage. But if you find a flavor that is good for a 3.7V/1.5-1.6ohm setup, you should get good flavor and throat hit (although true throat hit needs a higher nic level). And I find that the tabac bcc/t3 and other bottom coils give the closest in flavor as dripping. But for me - again with the right wattage for the flavor, dripping rules for flavor.

Can't figure it out, but I later found out that the 306 attys are 2.2-2.4 ohm. So maybe I need more voltage?

If they are that ohm then yes, more voltage needed. Low wattage will washout stronger flavors and high wattage can wash out light flavors. Hmmm. most 306's are 1.5-1.8 ohms - which is what you should get for dripping. I'm going to have to check my link... the link at avid vapor should have been LR atty. Not sure of the cignot - doesn't say??

So I ordered a Kanger VV 650 battery to see if that might make a difference. ...

Heh. Here on Maui? That made me chuckle... We've got ethnic markets, but not those - I don't think, anyway.

You might be better off finding the suppliers of the 'booze cruises' or luau's lol.

My neighbor gives us a hand of bananas from his yard every 2-3 weeks or so. We had a mango tree in our yard when I was growing up. Let me tell you...you DON'T want a mango tree. The thing drops hard leaves year round (ditto with a lychee tree) and is a terrible thing to clean up after - and you might not get many mangoes if there are a couple of days of heavy winds at an inopportune time. My parents were lucky they had us kids to rake the yard all the time. ;) BUT, there is nothing like cold, fresh, ripe but still firm Hayden mangoes. Love 'em. And don't get me started on fresh, ripe but still firm papaya eaten with a twist of lime. Heaven. Never been much of a coconut fan though. Don't even like it on cakes. The milk is good in curry, though.

Right now, the only thing edible we grow is ginger. Wife grows orhids, I take care of a couple of patches of flowering ginger and a few anthuriums. We intend to air-graft a super-sweet orange tree from my in-laws house, though. Never, ever had oranges that sweet!

Thanks for filling in... :thumb:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just dropped into this thread and went "Whoa! What have I missed?" Apparently I somehow switched my thread subscription notifications from email to my "control panel" (whatever THAT is).

I generally navigate the forum via What's New and then My Posts buttons on the toolbar. I find it more convenient.

Thanks for all the information and links re using isopropyl alcohol to clean attys. I will peruse the links with my usual fervor. :p The interplay of the discussion was pretty interesting to "watch" though. :)

Yeah, my friend Kent C and I had to find a way to keep ourselves entertained during your absence. :D

I've been searching for juices and have a bunch to test, so I've been cleaning a tank at least once very couple of days. At present, I take them apart, soak them for a while in hot water, rinse them out, soak them again then take the pieces out to dry. Then I take off the top post of the head and soak the bottom section - including the flavor wicks - in the cheap 80 proof vodka I bought for a couple of hours, then I...uh...(dun' hit me now)...do a dry burn on the coil while blowing it out, put everything back together and fill 'er up with a new juice.

So far so good, probably because I don't do more than a couple of tanks between cleanings.

Sounds good to me. So long as you remember to rinse off the ash after dry burning.

So I ordered a Kanger VV 650 battery to see if that might make a difference. (Well, that's MY excuse anyway...:)) While I was at it, I also ordered a Mini Protank 2 (static tip) for those tank cracking juices, a pack of 1.8 ohm heads, a spare usb charging cord and a piece of 1mm silica cord to replace flavor wicks that fall apart during the cleaning process. (Man I'm tempted to order some 2mm silica cord and some kanthal wire to try rebuilding coils...) GAS!

You're not wasting any time, are you?

Good luck with rebuilding. Most of my rebuilding friends claim that cotton wicks taste best--but of course they burn when dry, so you have to be careful. Let us know how that goes.

I should be set hardware wise for quite some time! (Yeah, right...) :D

Not at the rate you're going! ;)

Miscellaneous reaponses:

I figured as much...

Wow. I'd like to try a jigger of that...no wait...maybe just a sip? :blink: From where the heck did you acquire THAT? Is that really drinkable?

From a Russian market. No, it's not drinkable--it has to be diluted. At home it's used mainly to make sweet liqueurs; fruits or berries are extracted with high proof alcohol and the extract is sweetened with sugar and then diluted. Slivovitz and limoncello are perhaps the most famous of the sweet, homemade liqueurs. So are prunes in Armagnac. :D

You don't grow plumerias???? I grow them here! The most intoxicating scent on the planet. And gorgeous flowers...

frangipanisu8.jpg

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Kent C:

Yeah, I foolishly ordered the 306s from cignot without double-checking on the resistance - which was not listed on the web page anyway. After my drip experiments, I emailed Vicki and asked about the ohm rating. She responded: "They are regular resistance so in the 2.2-2.4 range. I did not want to carry the 306 in the LR for fear that people would use them with the 510 batteries and those batteries are too small for LR" Mistake on my part, but now I've got 3 of them, hence the order for a VV battery. The attys (x3) cost me more than the VV battery - so I had to choose between just taking a loss on the attys or tossing a little more money with hopes of rectifying the problem. I opted for the latter, since I sort of wanted to try a VV at some point to see what the hubbub was about anyway. The rest of the order was stuff I had planned to get eventually so it was cost efficient to add them in.

Anyway, hopefully the VV makes for an adequate dripping experience with the 306s that I have. So far I can't say that I'm impressed. I don't know that I would chase dripping any further than this.

Katya:

Thanks for the navigation tip - I like that!

Can't justify expenditures for rebuilding right now. When my last order comes in I'll have 15 spare heads, plus the ones in each of my 5 clearos, and I haven't even burned a single one out yet. Wanting to try rebuilding a coil is just a "guy thing" kicking in (no offense intended to any rebuilding gals out there). I'd probably be satisfied once I built a single usable coil - and be bored with it thereafter.

No plumerias at my place, but my next-door, upwind neighbor has 4 large pink plumeria trees next to the property line so we get to see and smell them without having to care for them. Lucky. Plumeria flowers make for great leis.

We've got the following varieties of flowering ginger growing in our yard - which we use weekly for the family plots:

Google Image Result for http://imonthebrinkbiology.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/12927659-red-ginger-also-called-ostrich-plume-and-pink-cone-ginger.jpg

Google Image Result for http://echelonflorist.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/torch_ginger_2.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/TCA1906.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20100510/Red-Ginger-Flower-1533611.jpg

Google Image Result for http://mymauiblog.com/image_store/uploads/8/2/9/2/0/ar120385159102928.jpg

(Can the Mods censure us for talking about non-vaping stuff?)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent C:

Yeah, I foolishly ordered the 306s from cignot without double-checking on the resistance - which was not listed on the web page anyway. After my drip experiments, I emailed Vicki and asked about the ohm rating. She responded: "They are regular resistance so in the 2.2-2.4 range. I did not want to carry the 306 in the LR for fear that people would use them with the 510 batteries and those batteries are too small for LR" Mistake on my part, but now I've got 3 of them, hence the order for a VV battery. The attys (x3) cost me more than the VV battery - so I had to choose between just taking a loss on the attys or tossing a little more money with hopes of rectifying the problem. I opted for the latter, since I sort of wanted to try a VV at some point to see what the hubbub was about anyway. The rest of the order was stuff I had planned to get eventually so it was cost efficient to add them in.

Anyway, hopefully the VV makes for an adequate dripping experience with the 306s that I have. So far I can't say that I'm impressed. I don't know that I would chase dripping any further than this.

Pretty sure that was my link to cignot on the 306's - didn't know, sorry. May also have given you an avid vaper link which is where I get mine.... trying to 'consolidate' for shipping I guess. Anyway, with the VV you can still gain the 'dripping' advantages of the 306 (the set up coil with the metal mesh around it..) and a drip tip, by upping the voltage to suit your flavor. And this will save you loads in eliquids in the long run as long as you buy small - samples.... and you'll get samples of stuff from other vapers most likely.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Pretty sure that was my link to cignot on the 306's - didn't know, sorry. May also have given you an avid vaper link which is where I get mine.... trying to 'consolidate' for shipping I guess. Anyway, with the VV you can still gain the 'dripping' advantages of the 306 (the set up coil with the metal mesh around it..) and a drip tip, by upping the voltage to suit your flavor. And this will save you loads in eliquids in the long run as long as you buy small - samples.... and you'll get samples of stuff from other vapers most likely.

No need to feel badly Kent! You've been a big help to me. In the end, it is MY fault for not double checking on the resistance. I actually thought about whether it was a LR atty and whether I should inquire and whether it even had to be an LR -- all of it -- BEFORE I ordered, but I just went ahead and ordered without acting on my suspicions. The way I look at it, it was MY fault for being lazy and not following up and I have consequently given myself a couple of swift kicks in the a**. (AND...I have pretty big feet...8-o.) I don't blame you at all.

Hopefully it will all work out, and even if it doesn't I'll still have myself a new toy. :D

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
No need to feel badly Kent! You've been a big help to me. In the end, it is MY fault for not double checking on the resistance. I actually thought about whether it was a LR atty and whether I should inquire and whether it even had to be an LR -- all of it -- BEFORE I ordered, but I just went ahead and ordered without acting on my suspicions. The way I look at it, it was MY fault for being lazy and not following up and I have consequently given myself a couple of swift kicks in the a**. (AND...I have pretty big feet...8-o.) I don't blame you at all.

Hopefully it will all work out, and even if it doesn't I'll still have myself a new toy. :D

Should work well with your new VV.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I think it really depends on the person.

I found that with the way my day plays out, 36mg is good for my uses. I don't have time to sit there and vape for 10 mins, so I need to be able to hit it a few times and be done.

Well you are right, that was my point, "it depends" and you can't know until you inquire about a person's smoking/vaping habits, how that is impacted by the work they do, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread