Status
Not open for further replies.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
The 40% tax goes into effect October 1st. If you are going to claim the purchase, the total tax is 48.4%. You need to pay the 6% sales/use tax on top of the 40% taxed purchase price. I know you are supposed to pay the 6% on shipping too. I have not read or heard any clarification if you have to pay the 40% tax on shipping.

Stock up!

smokin95

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
USA
Since you are in PA you have a big 40% tax to face on all your vape purchases, if the vendor does not pay the tax in PA you are required too. You are considered an importer in your state. I would stock now and learn DIY, be prepared for the worst case senario.
So if I don't write a check to someone I'm going to get in trouble with the IRS?

Lol just confused why it wouldn't be the vendors responsibility to charge me at time of purchase

Reactions: bnrkwest

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
So if I don't write a check to someone I'm going to get in trouble with the IRS?

Lol just confused why it wouldn't be the vendors responsibility to charge me at time of purchase
Read the tobacco products law including vape in your state. Then you will know the details, there is a thread here all about it.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA

If you purchase from inside PA (online or at a store) the tax is included in the retail price (40% of the wholesale cost), plus sales tax will be included.

If you order from out-of-state, you are responsible to pay the tax by the 20th of the next month. Do you submit sales tax on your stae income tax for online purchase where sales tax was not paid? The overall state recovery of tax for online purchases is very low. The only difference with the ecig tax is possession of an electronic cigarette (includes eLiquid) where the proper tax has not been paid is a crime.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
My main motive for stockpiling now is peace of mind. If I was starting from scratch with my present knowledge and vape a 10 year supply of everything specific to vaping I need costs about $500. I used to spend that to smoke for 2 months. So why mess around?
I used The same number $500.

3 liters nicotine
Three backup mods
Three or more backup RDAs or RTAs
500 feet wire
Flavors for eJuice

cllmda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The 40% tax goes into effect October 1st. If you are going to claim the purchase, the total tax is 48.4%. You need to pay the 6% sales/use tax on top of the 40% taxed purchase price. I know you are supposed to pay the 6% on shipping too. I have not read or heard any clarification if you have to pay the 40% tax on shipping.

Stock up!

ive read on the other threads here that it's on shipping too :( Wow thats pretty HEAVY...Feel sorry for the vapers from Penn...gotta get all u need NOW before the in effect-date

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
ive read on the other threads here that it's on shipping too :( Wow thats pretty HEAVY...Feel sorry for the vapers from Penn...gotta get all u need NOW before the in effect-date
A 40% tax is not a show stopper for stockpiling if it's for DIY and rebuildable atomizers. My cost of indgredients for DIY is $30 a year compared to $3,000 a year when I smoked. With the tax it rises to $42. A $500 10 year stash increases to $700, not a show stopper. If I don't smoke for the next 10 years I avoid $30,000 for cigarettes. The tax hurts the vape shops which help a lot of newbies get started. I have a hunch that vaping instead of smoking decreases some people's consumption of alcohol. I wonder if anybody is researching that possibility.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA

Stock up!
I had a non-vape related business several years ago (soap and candles), Sales tax IS charged on shipping. The papers stating what to charge were included with my business license.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
...I have a hunch that vaping instead of smoking decreases some people's consumption of alcohol. I wonder if anybody is researching that possibility.

I believe it. Cigarretes have additives that prevent nausea. That way you can chain smoke and not get nic sick. I remember when my wife and I started vaping. I dual used about a month and she about 6 months. As our gear and proficiency improved, accidentally over doing it and getting a little nic sick happened a couple of times. My wife could always clear it up by smoking a cigarette.

smokin95

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
USA
Will I still be able to buy nicotine, pg, vg after Aug 8?

Im planning on getting some flavoring from mtbakervapor before they stop selling. But it seems they won't be selling their unflavored juice any more. Does this mean every vendor will stop selling DIY juice supplies? Or is this part of the "unknown so stock up before then"

Also box mods, RDAs? I have 0 knowledge of all of this stuff I've been vaping off an ego + protank combo buying replacement coils for the last 3 years. So not only am I trying to learn what will/will not be for sale in the future, I'm also trying to figure out what I need. And the cherry on top is I'm in PA.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Will I still be able to buy nicotine, pg, vg after Aug 8?

Im planning on getting some flavoring from mtbakervapor before they stop selling. But it seems they won't be selling their unflavored juice any more. Does this mean every vendor will stop selling DIY juice supplies? Or is this part of the "unknown so stock up before then"

Also box mods, RDAs? I have 0 knowledge of all of this stuff I've been vaping off an ego + protank combo buying replacement coils for the last 3 years. So not only am I trying to learn what will/will not be for sale in the future, I'm also trying to figure out what I need. And the cherry on top is I'm in PA.
Sorry about the PA bit, sincerely. PG and VG will always be available, though eventually maybe not through vape shops. Nic is the big unknown. It is unlikely it will disappear immediately but how long it will be as readily available as it is now, your guess is as good as mine. As for the hardware, what's available now will be available for some time, but it's hard to say how long anyone will be able to stay open. You've seen how quickly a situation can change first hand with the new tax in PA.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Sorry about the PA bit, sincerely. PG and VG will always be available, though eventually maybe not through vape shops. Nic is the big unknown. It is unlikely it will disappear immediately but how long it will be as readily available as it is now, your guess is as good as mine. As for the hardware, what's available now will be available for some time, but it's hard to say how long anyone will be able to stay open. You've seen how quickly a situation can change first hand with the new tax in PA.
good summary .... although i'm not sure how "quickly" things actually do change. The Pennsylvania tax was not a surprise for those paying attention. It was first proposed in early 2015,well over a year ago.

Reactions: MMW

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
good summary .... although i'm not sure how "quickly" things actually do change. The Pennsylvania tax was not a surprise for those paying attention. It was first proposed in early 2015,well over a year ago.
I didn't follow it until recently, but the devastating floor tax portion was a recent addition, wasn't it?

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The consumer product safety council issued guidance in early June affirming the grandfathering of existing eLiquid stock without child resistant caps. All existing inventory as of the July 26 effective date of the new child resistant cap law was "safe".

On July 22, four days before the effective date, they rescinded that, making any existing old stock in the industry pipeline, including retail shops, worthless. IMO that was a lawless act. That is what we are dealing with. Things you only expected from Banana Republic Dictatorships. That is how fast things can change.

Last edited:

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I didn't follow it until recently, but the devastating floor tax portion was a recent addition, wasn't it?
Yeah, i don't pay attention to the details of stuff happening outside my own state, so the details may have changed ( or may have stayed the same ), i don't know. But i do remember Casaa calls to action throughout 2015. At some point they thought the danger had passed, but the governor vetoed the first budget proposal, and the 40% tax was brought back in to the mix sometime late last year. Sorry don't know if the 40% floor tax waas part of the first proposal or not, but given how cash-strapped they are, my guess is that they would include it. They wouldn't want retailers ordering tons of stuff prior to implementation of the tax to work around tax. Just a guess though.

Reactions: Lessifer

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Another question for you helpful folks,

Do you think a box mod with internal battery (non replaceable) will last a few years? Or should I go for a 18650 mod?
I would go with a 18650 mod, a sturdy one with good 510 threading. My two iSticks have been going strong for close to two years, but they are hit and miss from what i hear.

Are mods subject to the 40% tax too, i thought it was just eliquid.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Another question for you helpful folks,

Do you think a box mod with internal battery (non replaceable) will last a few years? Or should I go for a 18650 mod?
Personally I'd go for a replaceable battery mod. Most batteries are rated for so many charge cycles, so eventually the battery will not hold the charge like it used to. I think 200-400 cycles is the norm.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Thats why nicotine should be bought NOW!

In 10 days almost everything will be classified as a tobacco product.

Mods and Attys should be available for another two years.

Never know when USPS will classify 100 mg/ml nicotine will be classified a hazardous item and can't be shipped at all.

Thank God i went 0 mg nic 7 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread