Connecticut Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access to and use of electronic cigarettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
- CASAA: Connecticut Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access to and use of electronic cigarettes!

Three bills have been introduced in the Connecticut Legislature that threaten the health and welfare of vapers, smokers, and small businesses in Connecticut. At the current time, the full texts of these bills are not available, but it is plainly clear that some members of the Connecticut Legislature are aiming to snuff out the vapor industry in Connecticut.

Please take action now to oppose the bills described below.

Of particular concern is HB 6283 which would:

• redefine e-cigarettes as “tobacco products,”
  • prohibit use where smoking is banned,
  • prohibit flavors,
  • impose (as of yet undisclosed) marketing restrictions,
  • enact (as of yet undisclosed) “strict” manufacturing standards,
  • impose (as of yet undisclosed) labeling requirements
  • impose warning label requirements similar to what is required for traditional cigarettes.

HB 5449 would redefine “smoking” to include “the use of electronic cigarettes” for the purpose of including vaping in the state’s indoor clean air law.

HB 6290 would extend advertising restrictions for tobacco products to include vapor products. Although CASAA supports restricting access to e-cigarettes by minors, a perhaps unintended consequence of the proposed advertising regulations in this bill will be to limit adult awareness of these products. Given the current familiarity adult smokers have with combustible cigarettes, it would be unethical to impede their awareness of low risk, smoke-free alternatives.

• Oppose bills that would limit adult access to vapor products in CT - Send an Email

**Please be aware that this is the beginning of the legislative session and we may see additional bills introduced. We will update this call to action as needed.

Reactions: nicnik

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
You can find the latest status on any bill on their website - this one is pending "Reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing"

C G A

Thanks!

Other than restricting flavors, I don't see anything wrong with any of those proposals...

I think is mostly wrong with this type of legislation is that it wants to treat vaping as exactly the same as smoking and the huge hurdle is trying to dismantle this manufactured mind set that it's just that simple when it's not. Does this legislation want to regulate hardware? Well, hardware isn't consumed. How about 0mg juice? That's clearly not a tobacco product. Why should there be marketing restrictions? Most of the market labels their liquid, but is origin of the peach flavor absolutely necessary? What pack of cigarettes does the same? Yet they're trying to legislate on e-cigs as the same thing as tobacco out of one side of their mouth while out of the other trying to apply unique special rules suggesting some admittance that vapor products are kinda different.

There will be forms of regulation down the line, I just think what electronic cigarettes need is their own form of it because they are unique enough and different enough from cigarettes that they need to be regulated in respect to how they function which this legislation really isn't considering while it's trying to just lump it together with tobacco laws.

The problem with that is the problem it will create for small business, which is just a shame. There's a beautiful boom of vape shops all around the state I'd like to see grow not take 10 steps back because of legislation like this. If you go to a vape shop, don't you expect to test flavors before you buy them? This legislation according to what we know at this point would make that illegal.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Once they pass something they will leave vaping alone, so they can have all of what is in the bills and I wouldn't care; just not the flavor bans...

I don't need to vape where I couldn't smoke, don't care about warning labels or marketing restrictions. At some point the manufacturers need to step up and act like companies selling ingestible products...

I don't buy e-liquid from vape shops in the US; there weren't even any vape shops when I started vaping...

I'd like to know if the product I am about to inhale was made in the US or China...

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Once they pass something they will leave vaping alone, so they can have all of what is in the bills and I wouldn't care; just not the flavor bans...

I don't need to vape where I couldn't smoke, don't care about warning labels or marketing restrictions. At some point the manufacturers need to step up and act like companies selling ingestible products...

I don't buy e-liquid from vape shops in the US; there weren't even any vape shops when I started vaping...

I'd like to know if the product I am about to inhale was made in the US or China...

Ya sure I get that, plenty of the bill wouldn't effect me. I do think many companies do step up and present themselves professionally though.

I make my own juice, so it wouldn't bother me at all if flavors were banned. Wouldn't hurt me one bit. But, it would hurt a lot of other people and that's why I care about these things.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA

Indeed it is time for juice manufacturers, vape shops, AND vapers to
act ethically and responsibly. I agree with you that there really is little difference
between smoking and vaping to a bystander.

My problem with vaping being classified under the same legislation as smoking tobacco
is with the TAXES that entails.
Here in Florida the legislature has a proposal on the table that if/when passed
will tack on 60% of the wholesale value of juice and nicotine delivery devices on the manufacturers and distributors
AND a 25% tax on the retail cost to consumers on top of the 7% sales tax.

That kinda puts a heavy burden of B&M's, many of which I foresee closing shop
as well as on us consumers to whom the 60% tax will surely be passed on to.

BTW, I've not seen CASAA or the Militia even mention this let alone raise a call to action.
Guess everybody forgot the Sandpile...wait 'till they come to Miami Beach and go to a vape shop...

Oh, the above mentioned legislation, if passed goes into effect on July 01, 2015...ain't that a couple of days away...?

Salutations,

Hazy :2cool:

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Other than restricting flavors, I don't see anything wrong with any of those proposals...

Neither does she:

4240744343_ac98cc9443.jpg

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Indeed it is time for juice manufacturers, vape shops, AND vapers to
act ethically and responsibly. I agree with you that there really is little difference
between smoking and vaping to a bystander.

My problem with vaping being classified under the same legislation as smoking tobacco
is with the TAXES that entails.
Here in Florida the legislature has a proposal on the table that if/when passed
will tack on 60% of the wholesale value of juice and nicotine delivery devices on the manufacturers and distributors
AND a 25% tax on the retail cost to consumers on top of the 7% sales tax.

That kinda puts a heavy burden of B&M's, many of which I foresee closing shop
as well as on us consumers to whom the 60% tax will surely be passed on to.

BTW, I've not seen CASAA or the Militia even mention this let alone raise a call to action.
Guess everybody forgot the Sandpile...wait 'till they come to Miami Beach and go to a vape shop...

Oh, the above mentioned legislation, if passed goes into effect on July 01, 2015...ain't that a couple of days away...?

Salutations,

Yeah, it's the taxes which will kill B&Ms. None of the extreme proposals concerning high taxes has passed, though. I dont think the legislators have figured out the mechanics of taxing e-liquid, yet...

I do hope the prohibitions on vaping where smoking is prohibited pass everywhere, if just to drive some nutz...

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Yeah, it's the taxes which will kill B&Ms. None of the extreme proposals concerning high taxes has passed, though. I dont think the legislators have figured out the mechanics of taxing e-liquid, yet...

I do hope the prohibitions on vaping where smoking is prohibited pass everywhere, if just to drive some nutz...

Quoting you before you manage to edit.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA

They're already NUTZ. The problem with those prohibitions is that they're part of the package.
In order to tax juice and juice delivery devices they need to classify them in the same category as smoke.
In order to pass regulations that restrict vaping to smoking areas they have to classify vaping in the same category as smoking
and in so doing they open up the door to taxing juice ETC as if it was the same as smoking.

No matter how you look at it we're in deep poo poo unless we pack up and move to your commune in CR.
At least I know I'll have a free night on the town and a pre arranged goilfriend...
But, what about these poor colleagues of ours ;)

Regards,

Edit: Don't forget Florida is basically broke.
Don't be surprised if the proposed legislation passes. They need the bread.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
They're already NUTZ. The problem with those prohibitions is that they're part of the package.
In order to tax juice and juice delivery devices they need to classify them in the same category as smoke.
In order to pass regulations that restrict vaping to smoking areas they have to classify vaping in the same category as smoking
and in so doing they open up the door to taxing juice ETC as if it was the same as smoking.

No matter how you look at it we're in deep poo poo unless we pack up and move to your commune in CR.
At least I know I'll have a free night on the town and a pre arranged goilfriend...
But, what about these poor colleagues of ours ;)

Regards,

Edit: Don't forget Florida is basically broke.
Don't be surprised if the proposed legislation passes. They need the bread.

This is true. I think e-nic being legally classified as a tobacco product is a given. The states won't have to do it; it will be federal. I think the key players in the tax situations are doing the work behind the scenes to prevent extreme taxes- BLU, NJOY, BT. They have.the most to lose.
Fortunately, I buy online, so short of a federal tax, which isn't going to happen, nothing will change.
I think 2 prearranged girlfriends are in order. Always good to have a backup...
I imagine they will resort to posting twice as many memes...

Last edited:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
This is true. I think e-nic being legally classified as a tobacco product is a given. The states won't have to do it; it will be federal. I think the key players in the tax situations are doing the work behind the scenes to prevent extreme taxes- BLU, NJOY, BT. They have.the most to lose.
Fortunately, I buy online, so short of a federal tax, which isn't going to happen, nothing will change.
I think 2 prearranged girlfriends are in order. Always good to have a backup...
I imagine they will resort to posting twice as many memes...

LOL...I'll take two.
I have to remember where I am...OK, here's where the FDA and the FCC
get in cahoots and so much for both of us getting away from the tax man.

They've been trying to tax internet sales for years.
So far you only have to collect and pay tax if the sale is within your state.
What happens if our wonderful prez gets his wish and the government ends up essentially
taking over the net and deciding what is acceptable to be sold and bought?
If the FDA determines blah blah blah the FCC might decide blah blah blah.

Federal Tax? I filed mine a couple of weeks ago, so did the old lady.
Federal Tax? I expect to give the gub'min almost half of the proceeds of the sale of this
house and expect to pay even more when I inherit the super old lady's house.

Every piece of paper a juice manufacturer has to file with the FDA costs a bundle we can call a tax.
The gub'min has been taxing us, locally, federally and on the state level in one way or another
ever since this great nation was founded but now-a-days they're getting greedy.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
LOL...I'll take two.
I have to remember where I am...OK, here's where the FDA and the FCC
get in cahoots and so much for both of us getting away from the tax man.

They've been trying to tax internet sales for years.
So far you only have to collect and pay tax if the sale is within your state.
What happens if our wonderful prez gets his wish and the government ends up essentially
taking over the net and deciding what is acceptable to be sold and bought?
If the FDA determines blah blah blah the FCC might decide blah blah blah.

Federal Tax? I filed mine a couple of weeks ago, so did the old lady.
Federal Tax? I expect to give the gub'min almost half of the proceeds of the sale of this
house and expect to pay even more when I inherit the super old lady's house.

Every piece of paper a juice manufacturer has to file with the FDA costs a bundle we can call a tax.
The gub'min has been taxing us, locally, federally and on the state level in one way or another
ever since this great nation was founded but now-a-days they're getting greedy.

You are correct. I thought for sure we would have had an Internet sales tax by now, also a VAT.
I know just the two- Carrie and Dragona. They are NUTZ when they are together...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I guess you are not of the opinion that seeing other people vaping might make someone curious...
Which might lead to asking questions...

Which might lead to someone switching over from cigarettes who otherwise may not have considered it...
Or maybe lead to someone bringing up the idea with a smoking friend or family member...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I guess you are not of the opinion that seeing other people vaping might make someone curious...
Which might lead to asking questions...

Which might lead to someone switching over from cigarettes who otherwise may not have considered it...
Or maybe lead to someone bringing up the idea with a smoking friend or family member...

People quit when they are ready, and they will find e-nic when they are ready. I've seen far more e-cig commercials on tv than I have seen vapers in the wild in the US.

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina

I hope that people realize that you are in the minority here and do not take your opinions to be representative of most people who vape. The statement that I quoted above is absurd and I do not understand why you write this kind of stuff. The only reason I have come up with is that you want controversy and like to argue. In my opinion, no reasonable person who vapes would want vaping to be banned in all places that smoking is banned.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I hope that people realize that you are in the minority here and do not take your opinions to be representative of most people who vape. The statement that I quoted above is absurd and I do not understand why you write this kind of stuff. The only reason I have come up with is that you want controversy and like to argue. In my opinion, no reasonable person who vapes would want vaping to be banned in all places that smoking is banned.

I'm not so addicted I need to vape where I didn't smoke. I didn't start vaping to get nic where I couldn't smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread