Cons of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudheadmackerel

Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
nyc
Yep to be aware that some of us are addictive personalities is another step forward.

A friend of mine who was a former smoker quit ecigs and he said it was the most difficult thing he's ever done. I find vaping much more satisfying than smoking for many reasons both tactically and flavor wise and at best the sensation is "sublime" whereas smoking was a nasty but "necessary" thing to have to keep doing just to keep going. I see definite downsides to this habit and I've chosen to believe that these are "alot less bad" than smoking and it's probably true, but still it's a very severe addiction. Most likely I have an addictive personality, I agree.

alanselo

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
DCB305 wrote:

[QUOTEResearch on it has been limited, but people that have switched have experienced health benefits and those some of those people have confirmed those benefits by their doctors. I would recommend you do the same if possible.][/QUOTE]

An excellent point made. By documenting our experiences now, we we will be better able to defend/confirm any position that might arise that would limit our choices regarding e-cigs in the future. I say tell your doctor you are using e-cigs and follow up.

... one other con, spending lots of time on this forum sharing/learning from our collective experiences, as if it were a bad thing...

jun0felix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Switzerland
... one other con, spending lots of time on this forum sharing/learning from our collective experiences, as if it were a bad thing...

jeee i spend a lot of time in the internet since i vape, half forums and half suppliers! vaping would be ways harder without my internet browser's auto fill function ;(

i think, the "if it were a bad thing" point rather interesting, try to see it from the funny side:

big con 1: we have no marlboro man!

imagine the billions of dollars, tabac industry spent for image campaigns?

so i postulate: we need a maxborl woman / man ! (we are not that straight concerning sex, age, cowboys and other..) but what would she look like? what would he do? and where? what gear should it be to affect the publics deepest inner desires?

big con 2: we never will know. we will never see the golden greek jogging in monument valley. we never will know if the maxborl man will fall in love with the cahmel woman...

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
"PG, along with other substances like sugar, honey, salt and glycerol are hygroscopic substances, meaning that they attract and hold moisture. When you vape a lot with your electronic cigarettes, the PG in the juice basically traps some of the moisture in your mouth and body and dehydrates you."
http://www.ecigaddict.com/2011/07/do-electronic-cigarettes-cause-dehydration/
My Throat surgeon confirmed this...he supports vaping.

What is the deal with dehydration? Several people mentioned it on this thread.

I can't say I noticed it before, but now that you mentioned it... :unsure:

I can't figure out why vaping should be any more or less dehydrating than smoking analogs. Does anyone know?

jun0felix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Switzerland
"PG, along with other substances like sugar, honey, salt and glycerol are hygroscopic substances, meaning that they attract and hold moisture. When you vape a lot with your electronic cigarettes, the PG in the juice basically traps some of the moisture in your mouth and body and dehydrates you."

coffein / coffee is strongly dehydrating.

inyerfacehole

Apr 8, 2012
Munford, TN
The biggest con for me is I have kinda turned the whole experience into a hobby. Its been two months since Ive had a cigarette and in that time ive probably spent twice as much money on vaping than i did smoking. The upside is I have learned to solder, i dont wake up coughing every morning(stopped second week of vaping), and i dont have to go outside in the rain to vape.

cool breeze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Boston

So would an all VG or high VG blend tend to be less dehydrating than, say, a typical 50/50 VG/PG mix?

Can anyone confirm this from experience?

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
So would an all VG or high VG blend tend to be less dehydrating than, say, a typical 50/50 VG/PG mix?

I'm going to be honest, I vape 50/50 or 100%VG mostly and I don't really find the VG to be less dehydrating. I find it irritates my throat less if I vape a lot though.

As far as I am aware both PG and VG are both humectants and will both dehydrate you.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
You could do that but TH and flavor will be diminished. 100% VG is very hard on delivery devices and some dilute it with PGA or distilled water in place of the PG.
PG= TH and enhances flavor
VG= vapor.

Grung62

Mar 17, 2011
Iowa, USA
So -
The Con's = "The wants" - explanation = I want to try and own everything

The Pro's = "Control" - I control every thing from the device, flavor, nic level and were and when I vape. "this may not always be true with the Gov. wanting to take that control away". I can taste my food again. I do not smell like an ashtray, which I did not notice until I quit analogs, now I can pick an analog smoker out easy by smell alone.

The Truely Important = I can breath again for maybe the first time in 20 years - I feel this when I wake up and when I exercise.

jun0felix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Switzerland
So -
The Con's = "The wants" - explanation = I want to try and own everything

The Pro's = "Control" - I control every thing from the device, flavor, nic level and were and when I vape. "this may not always be true with the Gov. wanting to take that control away". I can taste my food again. I do not smell like an ashtray, which I did not notice until I quit analogs, now I can pick an analog smoker out easy by smell alone.

The Truely Important = I can breath again for maybe the first time in 20 years - I feel this when I wake up and when I exercise.

i feel very much the same way, specially the lung part (that's why i started with all that vape)

and - im a complete "ear vaper". i have to hear my atty, carto whatever sizzle or brzzle you may call it. i am strongly addicted to the sound control part of vaping :facepalm:

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Biggest con I can think of is the lack of reliability in the vaping experience. It's just not as reliable as cigarettes were. Every pack of cigarettes gives you the same exact experience, but I can have radically different quality of vapes in any given day using identical hardware and juice. Sometimes I think it's a matter of astrological alignment and the vibration frequency of nearby ley lines.

This was the biggest con for me until I got a Darwin a few weeks ago. Every single vape has been consistent since for me since then.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I didn't want to build one, so I bought one......
Rothco Deluxe Solar Charger For iPhones / Cell Phones

Works quite well for cell phones, too. :laugh:

I found this solar charger (PCC) but I didn't order it.

I also have used my 80w (window) solar panel at home. I have a cigarette lighter (how ironic) outlet wired in so I just plug in the USB adapter and my Pass-through. It seems to charge in the same time as a wall outlet. It's only charging a 3.7 volt battery so power is not a problem.

I'm going to check some of the 1 watt trickle chargers that they sell to maintain ATV batteries, unless someone here has the specs already. However, these cases act as a PCC so that is convenient too.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
What is the deal with dehydration? Several people mentioned it on this thread.

I can't say I noticed it before, but now that you mentioned it... :unsure:

I can't figure out why vaping should be any more or less dehydrating than smoking analogs. Does anyone know?

The e-liquid contains little or no water, so there is very little, if any, water inhaled.

The visible vapor exhaled is water vapor. I'm guessing the water comes from inside us.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I found this solar charger (PCC) but I didn't order it.

I have 1000mah batteries on my eGo-C and I rarely leave home so a PCC wouldn't be much use but that's tempting. Even without a need that's a cool toy :)

I like the car cigarette lighter adapter idea the best for power outages since it wouldn't have batteries to die from non-use or time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread