Cons of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybrodz

Apr 7, 2012
Tacoma
Dehydration is at the top of the list.
Figuring out the best hardware setup in an efficient manner.
Finding the right flavors.
Discovering and solving the problem that vaping can be another yoke on my shoulders much like analogs.
Finding ways to economize without sacrificing quality- costs are now down to $1.50? per week- it's so insignificant I haven't even bothered with the numbers.
Researching- although I'm a research hound I found this part to be very time consuming and at last count prolly over 1000 hrs BUT it has paid off in spades for myself and many close friends.

My next door neighbor and I started about the same time in February. She is tentative about it and I tend to have larger orders which have been detrimental to my pocket as I came way down low on nicotine fairly quick, so I am inundated with juices I like but are higher than where I am in nicotine. It's my fault I thought it would take me much longer to quit smoking after 38 years off and on, so I am willing to eat the costs, but I see above your cost per week is a dollar and a half. I wish I could say the same although I have cut back significantly and I have all my receipts so I can figure out startup costs as wel as juice and carto expenditures. So, I expect it to go way down in the second six months. I haven't really noticed the dry mouth that much as I alway tend to take in a lot of fluids anyway. But getting back to your expenses, I tend to vape about 4ml a day. Is there a site that is cheaper to order from. Right now I use about three sites.

Thanks

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I have 1000mah batteries on my eGo-C and I rarely leave home so a PCC wouldn't be much use but that's tempting. Even without a need that's a cool toy :)

I like the car cigarette lighter adapter idea the best for power outages since it wouldn't have batteries to die from non-use or time.

OR, I already have one of these. I wouldn't recommend going out to get one just to charge a PV!

For emergency use they are quite flexible: detachable 6 LED flashlight, 2 outlets (12 volt), USB outlet with switch (5 volt), booster cables (naturally) flashing safety lights and reflectors. Some styles of these have their own inverters to power 120 volt AC.

Not so convenient for back-packing or mountain climbing.

With a 5 volt pass-through and this 21 amp hour battery you can vape.... a LOT!

DCB305

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Florida
My next door neighbor and I started about the same time in February. She is tentative about it and I tend to have larger orders which have been detrimental to my pocket as I came way down low on nicotine fairly quick, so I am inundated with juices I like but are higher than where I am in nicotine. It's my fault I thought it would take me much longer to quit smoking after 38 years off and on, so I am willing to eat the costs, but I see above your cost per week is a dollar and a half. I wish I could say the same although I have cut back significantly and I have all my receipts so I can figure out startup costs as wel as juice and carto expenditures. So, I expect it to go way down in the second six months. I haven't really noticed the dry mouth that much as I alway tend to take in a lot of fluids anyway. But getting back to your expenses, I tend to vape about 4ml a day. Is there a site that is cheaper to order from. Right now I use about three sites.

Thanks
You can always dilute those high nic juices with some low nic juices that way they do not go to waste.

Jaybrodz

Apr 7, 2012
Tacoma
The only con I can think of is trying to figure out how/where to organize and store your ever-growing stockpile of awesomeness.

Hi,

My neighbor and I had been using baskets and then she found a plastic contianer that kind of looks like a sewing box, tackle box or small item storage case. Well for Easter she bought me one from what she calls Wally World. I haven't put my items in yet and will put the juices that I don't tend to use in the basket. I haven't completely formulated how I will do it to keep it kempt but it seems to be working for her.

jun0felix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Switzerland
... so I am inundated with juices I like but are higher than where I am in nicotine. It's my fault I thought it would take me much longer to quit smoking after 38 years off and on, so I am willing to eat the costs, but I see above your cost per week is a dollar and a half. I wish I could say the same although I have cut back significantly and I have all my receipts so I can figure out startup costs as wel as juice and carto expenditures. So, I expect it to go way down in the second six months. I haven't really noticed the dry mouth that much as I alway tend to take in a lot of fluids anyway. But getting back to your expenses, I tend to vape about 4ml a day. Is there a site that is cheaper to order from. Right now I use about three sites.

Thanks

you can simply mix down your juices to the nic level you want, using a syringe. i suggest DIY for the juice, seems to be the cheapest and some say tastiest way ...

stay smokefree

Jaybrodz

Apr 7, 2012
Tacoma
The biggest con for me is I have kinda turned the whole experience into a hobby. Its been two months since Ive had a cigarette and in that time ive probably spent twice as much money on vaping than i did smoking. The upside is I have learned to solder, i dont wake up coughing every morning(stopped second week of vaping), and i dont have to go outside in the rain to vape.

I'm retired and it is basically now a hobby for me. Even with start up costs and normal purchases, I think once my six months is down I will have still spent significantly less than buying cigarettes at the commissary. There for four cartons of the cheapest menthol,I would spend $240 per month or $1440 each six months plus occassional visits to the corner store when I am out. I have kept all my receipts and I am no miser; I went all out since February, but I am starting to chill now and will have a lot of high nicotine juices around. I vape 0-4mg. Consequently when I first started ordering it didn't occur to me that I would go down so quickly.

What I also like since I am disabled, is that I can order online by passing the middle man and have benefits of online discount codes. Today, I am still on my first carto and it is dinner time.

Jaybrodz

Apr 7, 2012
Tacoma
Thanks, I had thought of that and I have nicotine as well as no flavor with nicotine each at 4mg, but I tend to vape cigarette brands and I don't want to loose the integrity of the taste by doing that. I did order them all in 0 mg, but it would take a heck of mixing to get a 24mg down to 4mg which is where I am at now. I live near the AFB and army and I see them in the stick and mortar store that I go to often. I would be willing to just give them away rather than go to waste. I probably could also go on Craig's and offer them up for free also, but I would be worried about liability in either case.

I can't take a lot of nicotine as I am a double amputee and it feels like it causes my residuals to swell and my finger gets cold spells, so I definitely am heading down all the way to zero. I don't feel it at all today because I am vaping the same carto from this morning at about 4mg. I read a lot about nicotine after seeing the commercial about cigarettes causing loss of limbs. I'd never heard of it, so I researched nicotine and it gave me impetus to go down really quick. When my stock gets here monday it will be totally 0mg.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
In reality it's prolly even cheaper than $1.50
Here's a free very easy to use Ejuice calculator:
eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator
I DIY all my juices- bought all on sale and found a place in Europe that sells cheap quality flavoring. Also ordered everything in bulk with 30+ friends that now vape. Hardware also ordered in bulk. As someone else mentioned try diluting the higher nic stuff with VG and PG. VG can be bought in the first section at the pharmacy and PG can be bought special order at the pharmacy- both VERY cheap. Make sure it's USP (Food Grade) and if they ask you about the PG tell them you have allergies and you need it to make non allergenic soap. Using a tank and the SmokTech 1.7 single coil carto lasts 2+ weeks.
Cheers.

Thanks

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
This was the biggest con for me until I got a Darwin a few weeks ago. Every single vape has been consistent since for me since then.

Agree, but switch the Darwin for a ProVari. Same vape from fresh battery to exhausted.

I use a provari, but... What I mean by unreliable is things like carto life cycle on tanks changing flavor and performance, burn in cycle on rebuildable atty's, taking a few too many puffs before redripping, wicking problems, etc. I enjoy vaping, possibly more than I did smoking, and I loved smoking. I'm just saying that the experience isn't as standardized as pack after pack of cigarettes was. I pick up my my provari, and expect a good vape, and most of the time I get it. When everything is working perfectly it's perfect, but it's not always perfect.

This in no way negates all the great things I love about vaping, but that wasn't what the OP asked about. :) It's a little nit picky I know but I'm just saying I can count the number of "bad" cigarettes I've gotten over the years on one hand. The number of not quite right to just awful vapes is much, much higher even with very good hardware.

mattwo

Oct 15, 2011
Sunny Indiana
Cons- Didn't need another hobby but ended up with one.

Ego-C with, regular attys, single coil cartos, dual coil 3mm tank and clearomizers. Lava Tube with high resistance cartos. (Lava Tube can use any other juice delivery system I have) Over 100 flavors so I can mix my own juice. 100mg nic from Wizard Labs. (Good stuff) PG, VG, beakers, safety equipment for mixing 100mg juice, 3, 10, and 30ml bottles etc etc........

Love it!

mafig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
malaysia
for me..after 30+yrs on analogs,I'm 1 year into vaping..no con but lots of pros..only if i knew the existence of e-cig much earlier & able to convert smoker to vaper(no hard sell as vaping is still relatively new to my countrymen)..happy vaping every1..just loving this simple device that can replaced analogs..regards mafig

cool breeze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Boston
You could do that but TH and flavor will be diminished. 100% VG is very hard on delivery devices and some dilute it with PGA or distilled water in place of the PG.
PG= TH and enhances flavor
VG= vapor.

Hmm, I think I would be OK with diminished throat hit, but I don't want to lose a lot of flavor. Any idea how much of an effect we are talking about here? For instance, for every 10% less PG, are we talking about 2% less flavor or 8% less flavor, roughly speaking?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Prolly a better idea to start a separate thread on this and you'll prolly get more responses IMO. You could always add extra flavor. Some vendors offer extra flavor in their juice as an option.

Hmm, I think I would be OK with diminished throat hit, but I don't want to lose a lot of flavor. Any idea how much of an effect we are talking about here? For instance, for every 10% less PG, are we talking about 2% less flavor or 8% less flavor, roughly speaking?

frnkj74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Seagoville, Tx.
It is dehydrating. That's all I can think of as of now...

it is, that's why they say you should drink more water when vaping..drinking stuff like soda or tea or anything that has sugar in it tends to kill the taste of your juice because your tongue already has the sweetness of whatever you're drinking on it, also if you get a flavor drop from your juice switch vaping positions...for example if you vape on the left side of your mouth switch to the front of your mouth then when the flavor drops again switch to the right side of your mouth please note that it takes awhile for this to happen depending on your vaping habits & also vape with your tongue down...some people vape with their tongue up your taste buds are on top of your tongue not the bottom...other than that vaping is a wonderful experience...Vape On & may the vape be with you :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread