Considering a 4x18650 mod, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Hi All,

As title says, I fancy a quad 18650 mod. The appeal is the huge potential battery life (Will use Samsung 30Qs or Sony VTC6). I will never get to anywhere near the potential power, seen all are 300+ watts.

Only been able to find 3 mods so far, smok GX350 (The favorite), iJoy Maxo and the reuleaux RX300. I don't really want to spend more than £100 ($120). Able to get the GX350 with a TFV8 Beast for £49.

Does anyone have a recommendation or know of any other quad mods?

Currently use an Alien with a Big Baby mostly.

Thanks.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Hammer of God, but that's a mechanical and a completely different animal. Get the best bang for your buck, and go with the one that you can afford the most comfortably. Also, from experience I can tell you 300w is a very very hot and harsh vape. On the plus side, if you vape a quad between 75w-120w, you'll get a decent runtime between charges.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Hammer of God, but that's a mechanical and a completely different animal. Get the best bang for your buck, and go with the one that you can afford the most comfortably. Also, from experience I can tell you 300w is a very very hot and harsh vape. On the plus side, if you vape a quad between 75w-120w, you'll get a decent runtime between charges.

I'd happily spend a fortune... Mrs may (will) kill me though so I need a budget...

I considered tinkering in mechanical with an RDA, just waiting the the right Mech mod to come my way, would only be a single 18650 tube though until I knew the ins and outs fully. For now just a regulated to step up from the Alien will do.

The Alien only runs at 40W on a 0.3 build, does me just fine. Get nearly 2 days from a charge but more would be useful as I'm on the road a fair bit. Thought may aswell go the whole hog and get a quad.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A quad battery mod is sure going to be tough on your pockets if you plan to use it as an out and about setup. A quad is a real desktop sort of selection. Most folks would likely go with small and light for travel, maybe with extra batteries that are easy to stash around (safely, in silicone sleeves or plastic boxes) than a 4 battery box.

Having said that, if it's your life goal to have a giant mod, that Smok with the Beast sounds like a nice deal for the money.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
The mod would spend nearly 99% of it's time in a vehicle centre console so the weight/bulk wouldn't really be an issue.

I love the Alien as it charges through USB, but realise this isn't best for the batteries so fancied a quad so wouldnt need a charge when on the road and could use the Nitecore when home.

So is there only the 3 regulated quad 18650s available? Though the GX350 isn't released for a couple of weeks yet.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Hey all, I dont really recognize many of the people here anymore but I used to post here quite a bit a little over a year ago.

I just picked up the iJoy Maxo last night. It is my first quad battery but so far Im only using 2 at a time. To be honest that was part of the appeal of this mod. Im definitely liking it so far but Im really looking forward to trying some different builds on it. Right now Im running 40W with dual twisted 30AWG on my Lush at .5ohms with 2 HG2s in it and in about a day and a half the batteries are still at 3.7V.

Which brings me to my question, does anyone happen to know the battery voltage cutoff for the Maxo? I generally dont like running my batteries below 3.6V but I know that most regulated mods have much lower cutoffs than that.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
So far Im really liking it. Feels good in the hand, not nearly as heavy as I expected, battery life is great and its hitting like a champ! If I were to be a little critical of it Id say it would be better if you could set the cutoff either manually or via computer, and I dont fully understand the user settings of "normal", "hard", "soft" and "user" just yet but I just need to toy around with it some more and see what it can do.

Keep in mind, until very recently Ive been a die hard mech user, and I still love my mechs but Im definitely enjoying the hell outta this beast right now!

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I've never understood the appeal of multi-batteries for longer run times. I rather keep a couple of spare batteries in my pocket (in a plastic case of course), instead of dealing with a big, heavy mod. Unless of course you're wanting a nice forearm workout while you vape. ;) To each his/her own I guess.

Reactions: zoiDman

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Yes of course a married set, labelled A1 and A2 and B1 and B2, as well as dated with the date of first full charge, and no I do not intend to drop in all four of those batteries in together.

I got this beast because I did have a 40W iStickTC and it kicked the bucket. I had been wanting to fiddle around with some more challenging builds but I never had the range for wattage. That said I doubt I will ever get it above 150W but its nice to know Ive got the room. Im also planning on picking up a couple of sets of 4-way married batteries but I just didnt have the cash for all of that all at once, not to mention I only have a 2 slot charger and if Im going to marry 4 batteries then I want them doing everything together...including/especially charging! lol

I do really like the option of 2 or 4. Id agree with the RX 2/3 being an odd configuration but what I like about this is the fact that if Im not going to be running above 60 or 70 watts I dont need the added cells and can keep space on my charger for my mech cells! Again, I only intend to use this baby at home, I love my mechs for on the go vaping and Ive got a pretty reliable little cool fire for at work so this was just a "lets see what I can do with this" buy.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
True enough! Will definitely keep you posted. One thing I like about Rouleaux is the computer capabilities. As far as I can tell the Maxo doesnt have near the option setting available nor the information you can upload into your computer. That is definitely a draw back IMO but its still a great mod that hits like a champ...at 40W lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread