RDA Considering a rebuildable atty, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
So, like the title says, I am curious about a rebuildable atty setup. I currently run carto tanks(Boge 3.0) on my ProVari and usually vape between 4.6-5.3v. They work perfectly well for that and I have no complaints. But I do see a lot of people loving the flavor difference of carto vs atty. So it has me checking out options and wanting to taste the difference. I am currently considering getting an Odysseus. My reasons are...

1. I need something that holds a high volume of liquid due to my lifetyle. I am at work 10 hours out of the day easily and like being able to grab my device and go without worry about refilling or fiddling.

2. Heavy duty construction. I work in an environment where the more solid the better. My ProVari is in my pocket all day and does occasionally bang into stuff while there.

3. Feed systems are a bit too big for me to have in my pocket.

4. I want something that works the way it should every time.

I am open to any and all advice anyone may offer. I have watched several videos on how to build them but have mainly been looking at the Ody. If there are any other options available I am also open to them. It doesn't really appear to be too difficult to build the coil or assemble the body. I am not sure if you could say I am mechanically inclined or not but FWIW, it doesn't look intimidating.

I have a few weeks until a purchase is going to be possible so I have plenty of time to check out my options.

Thanks in advance!

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
A lot of people like the Oddy but, it takes a bit of fiddling to get a re-buildable atty to work right. Once it does then depending on your tastes. Then it will work great. Besides the Oddy then the Z-atty is specifically made for the Provari. The thing is that it's very hard to get since there aren't a lot of them made:

Z-Atty Rebuildable Atomizers

The Genesis Line V2 rebuildables are another popular one that can be used for your Provari. They are well built and look pretty solid. All in all, every rebuildable atty/tank is very hard to get a hold of in general.

I would keep your eyes on the classifieds section. They do appear from time to time. You just have to be fast on the keyboard and send your pm before the other person. Since they do go pretty darn quickly.

Besides the oddy then all of the others ones are constructed almost the same way. They use mesh wicks to supply the juice to the coils.

Jamiemon

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I am also a Boge SR guy, and I recently got a hold of a genesis atty and a line. I must say that they both have a pretty steep, and unforgiving learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, they are super versitile. My daily is Bounty Hunter, and I go through maybe 5ml a day. Filled up the line, and the juice tastes TOTALLY different! I didn't even recognize the flavor that I was vaping. Everyone says you have to break in the coil/wick, but I didn't like BH through the line or the genesis. In a nutshell, if you are willing to take the time to fiddle in the beginning, it might be worth it, or just get a bunch of carto tanks with juice.

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
Thanks for head's up. I just checked out the Z briefly and it looks like early May they will have some inventory. Which will be more than fine, good things come to those who wait. In the mean time I will research those suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I know everyone has a different opinion on gear, and taste is always subjective. But do you guys think the taste difference is enough to justify the price? I don't want to throw my money around at just everything that looks fun but I also don't mind putting my money into it if it's a very enjoyable experience.

To those who do use these types of hardware, how is the upkeep pricing? Generally speaking of course. I know you have to have the 2 types of wire to build your coils as well as wicking material and the occasional o-ring. I would likely stick with building coils at the 3 ohm level or just slightly less. Or attempting to anyway haha.

From my experience, cartos last a good week or so depending on the ratio of juice you are using. High VG ratio does seem to kill em quicker but as long as I am refilling with a similar flavor juice, a week is pretty typical. How often are you finding yourselves rebuilding the attys? This will likely be something I add to the rotation unless I really like it, so it may not even be getting used every day. Just trying to get a feel for the water.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
What justifies the price. Is that you won't have to worry about constantly buying atties and cartos over and over again. All you need is get the wires and wick. Which is amazingly cheap and can last you for years if you buy bulk. For example, if you get 10 ft of 36 gauge Kanthal wire then it will only cost you $2.50 cents. That will last for a VERY long time. A 100ft is only $7 and you can imagine how long that will alst. So, the upkeep is what attracts people to rebuildable atties in the first place. It might cost a lot at first but, will get a lot cheaper later on in the future.

If you want something that has a clean flavor then yes, this is a possible route that you can take. If cartos are not something that you like. They will typically last you as long as an atty until you decide to change the wires and/or wick. Honestly, I switch out the wick and stuff more quickly compared to others since I only have one.

EDIT No problem and I hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited:

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
I am also a Boge SR guy, and I recently got a hold of a genesis atty and a line. I must say that they both have a pretty steep, and unforgiving learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, they are super versitile. My daily is Bounty Hunter, and I go through maybe 5ml a day. Filled up the line, and the juice tastes TOTALLY different! I didn't even recognize the flavor that I was vaping. Everyone says you have to break in the coil/wick, but I didn't like BH through the line or the genesis. In a nutshell, if you are willing to take the time to fiddle in the beginning, it might be worth it, or just get a bunch of carto tanks with juice.

I have had no issues at all with my tanks. Taste seems good, fairly fiddle free. I do seem to shred an o-ring once a week or so from filling but I am getting better with it. But wow, the options are endless. I find myself migrating back to the attys and wondering how great it is.

I don't mind spending time to learn things like this as long as my schedule permits. I actually enjoy it when it comes to certain things. It seems fairly straight forward as far as the concept goes, but I do see a few variations on how people assemble them. I am sure I will try a few different ways. I saw a review done by Scott and he had used two pieces of wick when he wrapped the coils. Seems like a good way to get a ton of juice up between them.

5ml a day is probably my average also. Some days are higher, some a bit lower. After 7 weeks, I feel like I have tried a million flavors with no clear cut, all day winner. I do return to Pink Spot again and again though. I think I have tried a few flavors from quite a few of the popular vendors. I just find that after a day with a flavor, even if I like it - I am ready to move on to a new one. I guess since I never really had much of a flavor choice with tobacco I dealt with it. With this, we don't have to. If we can think it up, someone will mix it or we can do it ourselves. And the flavors being so close to the real thing in some instances it's like food. I couldn't eat the same thing all day every day, so I probably can't vape like that either. But there may be that one flavor out there for me that's just being elusive haha.

Thanks for the advice!

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
I am looking forward to it for sure. I am buying a back-up later tonight since I only have one PV. After that, this will be my next venture. I have only used Boge 3ohm cartos up to this point so getting to broaden my horizons and taste the differences is seeming pretty fun. I may grab an Atty or 2 at the local shop to play with in the mean time.

Square1

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2011
Southern California
If you are shredding your o-rings (I had a similar problem though mine was from slotting my tanks then re-filling through the top) I reversed the process and would remove the tank from my Provari and fill through the bottom). If you are snagging on your entry, Big Daddy Vapor makes a slap your momma tool, that allows for a seamless gap filler so that it wont catch your o-rings. Hope that helps.

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
If you are shredding your o-rings (I had a similar problem though mine was from slotting my tanks then re-filling through the top) I reversed the process and would remove the tank from my Provari and fill through the bottom). If you are snagging on your entry, Big Daddy Vapor makes a slap your momma tool, that allows for a seamless gap filler so that it wont catch your o-rings. Hope that helps.

Yes sir, I fill from the bottom also. I think my issue is that if it doesn't want to slide in easy, I will push it until it goes in. I think I was just not being as careful as I could be with lining them up and I am not a person who uses a lot of finesse. I have gotten better and make sure that the carto has a little juice on it around the edge. It goes in a lot easier that way. But that tool you speak of would probably help(I saw them on their site a few weeks back). None of my drip tips are of the diameter to slide through the opening on the top cap. Going into week 2 with these rings and am just now seeing signs of marring.

I wonder that as well. They are all so difficult to get. I have approval from the other half to get one though, so pretty soon.

Last edited:

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
Well, seems I stand corrected. I have found my flavor, purely by luck. I got an order of Ms T's and got some Red Hot Cinnamon Candy. I have no doubts it is my daily. Is there going to be any issue with using this juice in one of these? I know it won't crack or anything like that but it seems cinnamon wreaks havok in one way or another on everything(exaggeration but I know it's strong).

liveone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm in the same boat as the OP. The idea of the rebuildable and the z-atty-pro seem interesting. Will watch this thread for more info.

I've also been using the boge sr 3ohms in tanks on the provari but haven't experienced your longevity. I've gotten 3 days max out of a carto before the draw feels clogged or flooded. On a fresh carto, the flavor and vapor is incredible. Just wish it stayed that way longer.

In the last 20 cartos I've gone through, I've had two DOA. They seem to fire, but give me a E1 error on the provari. I've just thrown these out and resumed with a new one but can't help but wonder if I will continue to experience a 10% failure rate.

I've tried the i06 2.5ohm atty from ikenvape and had some mixed results. When I'm able to prime it perfectly, the draw, vapor, and flavor is unmatched. It's my first attempt at dripping so I'm sure user error could be a major factor. I'm about to receive the siam stainless drip tips for it that's supposed to fit better than the delrin. Looking forward to messing with that some more. Perhaps with some more experience I will be able to get the hang of it and be able to achieve the nirvana of the perfect vape. Plus Isaac at ikenvape has been a pleasure to deal with.

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
I think it depends on your juice selection that determines the carto longevity really. I find that Pink Spot will go for 5-7 days with little issue but something cinnamon will tend to kill one in about 4 days. Thicker juices do that too from what I am told. I don't have many thick VG juices so I can't tell you that's a fact.

I have probably been lucky in getting bad cartos because I think I've only gotten 2 in the last 11 weeks. They were the second and third ones I used. I am pretty sure it was my fault though. After loading them into the tanks, I completely forgot to drip any juice in to load them and a couple button pushes later - pop.

I also ordered a drip atty to try out. I got an HH.357(3ohm short barrel VG/PG mix configuration). I tried it out the other day, but I don't think I can give it an accurate review. I have been on a cinnamon kick for the last 2 weeks and everything else tastes very watered down now. So I am muscling through the dead taste bud phase so I can try other flavors on it. I can say it gave better vapor production that the Boge 3ohm carto though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread