Contacting your representatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legato525

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Today, I finally had the time to E-Mail my Congressman and two Senators. I trust one Senator and my Congressman. Though I have no faith in the other Senator, who happens to be Harry Reid. I thought I would share with you the message I sent to my representatives. I hope this inspires you to do the same.

"Honorable Dean Heller,
My name is Sean. I am a truck driver from the Reno Nevada area. I am writing you today to bring to light a subject in which I am passionate about. For half a year now, I have been using a nicotine replacement product known as a personal vaporizer, or electronic cigarette. This product has allowed me to be cigarette free for half a year. I own many of these products and am active in the community which supports these personal vaporizers. The FDA has decided to start taking action against personal vaporizers due to unknown safety standards. Many people around the world, including myself have used these without negative side effects for a good amount of time now. I realize that nicotine products are usually regulated by the FDA. The problem is that the FDA has decided to take negative action against our personal vaporizers without any research to the negative. There are a few studies independently done in Europe, but as of yet, there have been no U.S. Studies. In the past four years of use with the personal vaporizers, there has not been one confirmed death due to the use of these products. These products contain few chemicals, non which are cancer causing agents, unlike there tobacco counter parts. Now I am aware that the FDA regulates nicotine cessation products. Except for a few vendors that do not have the right to claim there product is a cessation product, no serious vendor makes this claim. I believe that my representatives need to intervene and stop the FDA from banning a product which has not been studied, yet has no negative cases against the product. I find it irresponsible for an agency such as the FDA to consider banning a product which allows myself and others to continue to subdue our nicotine addiction without the damaging and cancer causing effects which exist in tobacco products. Illegally the FDA has started confiscating personal vaporizers being shipped from other country's, when their is no law or regulation on the product. This is deceitful and an abuse of power that has been granted to the FDA. I have never been able to quit my smoking habit until I found this product. I am twenty eight years old and feel that this product has saved my life. Please consider helping myself and others in our fight too keep these products legal and unregulated until the time that proper studies can be done on the subject.

Thank you,
Sean"

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
Excellent letter Sean! I'm impressed. I too will copy and paste your letter to my congressmen. Thank you for taking the time to write such a well thought out piece and taking action for our cause. I do want to express my sincerest apologies for you having to put up with such an embarassment of a senator. I do hope your state fires him in the next election.

Legato525

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
What about starting an organization. I am sure we could get a few of the retailers involved. I would be happy to run a website. We can recruit e-smokers. Nothing big just an organized group of Americans as well as world wide supporters. A collective group to let the government know we exist as a collective with a common bond. If you are interested just post yea or nea and I will get the ball rolling. Since I am on the road all the time, it would be fun to have something to do. :)

Kristy_424

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
USA (Michigan)
I just have one suggestion to add to the letter, which is great, by the way.

I would just simply point out the fact that the government DOES know the ill effects of cigarettes, yet they STILL allow them to be sold and smoked, so what does it matter if electronic cigarettes have even half the risk of real ones? If they're going to ban electronic cigarettes because they might pose a risk to us, then they'd better be fair and ban real cigarettes-which pose an extremely REAL risk. After all, that would kind of be discrimination, wouldn't it?

I'm afraid I have less and less respect-or trust-for our government...

Last edited:

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I think from a user/consumer standpoint Right To vape is great and I will join now!

Does Kate or any of the other RtV members know if there are any Trade associations that sellers and suppliers belong to? It would be interesting to know what issues they are facing and how they are dealing with them.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Apparently suppliers who are members of this forum have been discussing how to get organised on their private board.

This thread was started a few days ago - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-suppliers-forum/8877-future-ecigs.html

A new board has recently appeared on the forum called Association of Manufacturers and Suppliers. It hasn't been used yet.

Right to Vape's mission is:

Right to Vape is a voluntary organisation with the primary purpose to represent users of personal vaporisers (PVs) and their safety.

uberjaeger

Dec 31, 2008
San Diego, CA
I'm a Congressman from California and I vape in DC all the time around all the other congressmen. There are a few others besides me. A few have pipes, one has the smoke anywhere e-cig. I pass out the puresmoker business cards I get w/ thier products. I've even gotten a few staffers and security guys to buy them.

They love the screwdriver by the way...it's such a huge, manly, vaping machine.

If you search for a congressman named Cliff Stearns and e-cigarette you might find the article written on him and his e-cigarette. It was written in Roll Call or The Hill (two DC daily papers)

Anyway, a few of us know about vaping and if you would send me a PM w/ the exact info on what the FDA is doing I'll be happy to write a letter, get some other representatives to co-sign it, and get on the FDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread