Converting to E Cigs with regards to Nicotine content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Sorry to throw a wrench into your reasoning Catanonia, but you are forgetting one important factor, and that is that we do not know the amount of nicotine we are effectively absorbing as we use our ecigs.

For example, a regular cigarette actually has way more than the amount of nicotine in it than is reported as actually absorbed when lit and smoked. I'm not sure, but I think the absortion percentage usually cited is only 10%.

So when you talk about a cart containing .5 ml or 1 ml of nicotine at 18mg strength, that does not necessarily equate to your body absorbing 9 or 18 mg of nicotine when that cart is vaped (not to mention Chokmah's point of there always being a good amount of liquid left in the cart when you need to top off).

For me personally, I'm convinced I actually get a lot less nicotine from vaping than many posters here seem to think. It may be that my tolerance was already high from being a heavy smoker, but nonetheless, I think it is important not to overstate the amount of nicotine we are getting either, thereby freaking people out.

In any event, until tests are run that show the nicotine absortion rate we are actually getting from vaping, I remain pretty sure that it is not the entire amount of mgs as the liquid we are using is rated at - just as a matter of common sense (don't forget we exhale some vapor too), and the known less than 100% nicotine absortion rate from cigarettes.

Last edited:

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
Sorry to throw a wrench into your reasoning Catanonia, but you are forgetting one important factor, and that is that we do not know the amount of nicotine we are effectively absorbing as we use our ecigs.

Indeed you are correct, but a lot of it is speculation.

One thing remains the same though..

How much Nico we absorb through normal vs vapor.

Even if the numbers were to the normal side, still a 20 - 1 fight....

What i am saying is not scientific, or fact, just my logical reasoning.

Take it with a pinch of 'large' salt.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
It’s my understanding that Cat erred in the initial estimation.
Typical high strength of 18 mg corresponds to 18 mg nicotine in 1 g = 1 ml fluid (assuming density ~ 1 g/ml). One DSE901 cartridge only holds about ~ 0.5 ml (NOT 1 ml); and ~ 20 normal drops proxy 1 ml fluid.
Therefore, consuming four 901 cartridges (~ 2 ml high fluid) will deliver not more than 36 mg nicotine (NOT 72 mg). That’s maximum possible, and no data is yet available on the effectiveness of intake of the nicotine delivered by e-cigs.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I don't go by carts, I just go by ml's. I smoked a pack a day so that's approx 20 mgs of nic I was getting. They say, this is all approx, but 2 ml of 11 mg liquid would equal about 22 cigs a day. Soooooooooo I am vaping about 1.5 ml a day of 8 mg liquid so I pretty much KNOW I am taking in LESS nicotine than before already, but I do seem to vape more than I smoked. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have to feel guilty doing this because I know I am already taking in less than before but feeling like I'm doing more.

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Hey guys interesting thread, i am pretty sure that i am getting no where near the nicotine off vaping as i did off analogs but that is only by listening to my body, i have no proof it is just what i feel.

One thing i have noticed is that if i vape like i smoked cigs by exhaling pretty quickly i do not get much of a nicotine hit, but if i hold it in my lungs for longer so little vapor comes out when i exhale i feel much more satisfied with the ecig.

I dont think the vapor works as well at transfering the chemicals into your system but as i said that's just my opinion and by holding the vapor in i get around this and enjoy it much more.

As far as side effects go i had my first side effect only last night, i was laying in bed and i had only been lifting very light weights at work, no more than what i normally do at work and yet my shoudlers and neck felt pretty sore almost like i had been to the gym after a break lol. So im pretty sure this was related to the PG being converted into acid (is it lactic?). Im wondering if this is tempory side effect or a permanent one that i will have as long as i smoke ecigs.

Anyways i have started ordering 36mg now and im going to go and buy some VG and see how that works out for me. I plan to use the 36mg neat when i need it and cut for regular vaping.

Cheers Lee.

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
Anyways i have started ordering 36mg now and im going to go and buy some VG and see how that works out for me. I plan to use the 36mg neat when i need it and cut for regular vaping.

Cheers Lee.

That is what I am going to do with my 24 Wicked juice.

Have cut down to 12 with PG for day time, and full 24 when I want a blast.

I must stress again, this thread is just a guideline and is NOT ACCURATE as there are still many unknowns.

But hopefully it will stop people OD'ing when they are smoking an ecig like a normal on on high strength.

Cat

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That is what I am going to do with my 24 Wicked juice.

Have cut down to 12 with PG for day time, and full 24 when I want a blast.

Maybe someone could help me with some (flawed?) logic on my part...

I have been using 18mg pre-filled carts, but decided to start refilling them instead. When I made my first liquid order, I mistakenly ordered 24mg liquid in various flavors but I found it to be much too strong for me (I vape a LOT).

Rather than dilute it with VG (which I have ordered but not received yet) and thereby dilute it's taste as well, I opted to re-order more of the same flavors of liquid but in 0mg nic from the same company. I figured if I mixed the 2 in equal amounts, I *should* get about a 12mg nic (or in that range) with no flavor reduction, which was fine because I had hoped to reduce the nic from 18mg anyway since I vape so much. This seemed kinda logical to me.

I spoke to a representative when ordering to ask if the 0mg nic had the same taste as the 24mg nic and she said, yes, it did, but that they "do not recommend" mixing them and that it would be "at my own (risk or something to that effect)".

Am I missing something?

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
No i think that is more to do with handling the liquids etc. I.e you do it at your own risk as a chance of getting it on your skin etc. I think this is the only reason why.

Cheers Lee.

as boomer says. Your logic is quite correct. Mixing 1 part of 0% with 1 part of 24% will give you 2 parts of 12%

They are just quoting health and safety at you for obvious reasons and to protect thier trade.

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
Thanks for the info :)

I was getting a bit upset about the $110 I've spent on liquids I wasn't going to be able to use (and would still have to replace!)... :-x

But I feel much better now :D

I am on the same boat but all I did was add one drop from one bottle and then another drop from another bottle into the cartridge and then put it away to have it handy for later. That's was it (this is is for the DSE901). It worked out just fine.

I am so confused. I am sure I am having too much nicotine now but I am mathematically challenged and can't seem to figure out what to do. Can someone help?

I smoked 1/2-1 pack of light 100s analogs a day before

I tried the light nic and didn't get the throat hit I wanted so I (wrongly) assumed I should go up in strength.

Now I have 30 ml of high liquid (from Johnson Creek--probably another mistake---is it going to ruin my atomizer? I just replaced it yesterday).

FYI I am using a mini from Smoking Everywhere (another rip-off I know)

And can someone please tell me where to get the vaping ticker?

I feel stupid. :)

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
That's the point paintedharlet nobody knows for sure what is a nic dose for x number of cigs, i appreciate Catantonia is trying to help people with these rough formulas but we don't know how much is being absorbed into our blood. Also like you said incineradma there are lots of other chemicals that are in analogs that we are addicted to, so maybe we need more nicotine to cover what we lost in the other crap.

We can try to guess what sort of amount we should be vaping but i think the most important thing is to listen to your own body! Yes it is possible to have too much nicotine but there are signs you will get. If you are starting to get a headache stop vaping the same for any signs of high blood pressure etc.

Of course if you really do start to feel unwell that you think is not normal and is concerning you then don't be afraid to seek medical advice.

The guide is helpful in that it gives you a starting point to begin with... If it's just not giving you the hit you need increase it, if you are feeling like it's too much then back it off a bit.

I also was concerned about getting the right dosage at the start, i now have bottles of 18mg, 24mg and 36mg and i smoke to how i am feeling i.e i hit the 36mg when im stressed or really want a cig lol but use the 18mg for normal day to day vapeing. I tend to find 24mg suits me good in the pub :)

So don't worry just listen to what your body is telling you, i am confident you will work out pretty quick what works for you without too much discomfort, at least i did and plenty of others.

Also i think a big factor with the "hit" in analogs is the carbon monoxide starving you of oxygen and thats what gives you that slightly dizzy feeling, you just don't get that with vapeing.

As for the Johnsons Creek juice, all reports are good now. No problems with killing atomisers or anything like that.

Another thing you could do if you get juice that's too strong you can always vape less or if thats not an option then cut it with PG or VG, theres a great DIY liquid section on here that will help with that.

These are all my opinions, im sure some people will agree and others have there own way of doing things.

Hope this helps a little Lee.

Edit - Within a week of doing this i pretty much knew what my body needed to feel normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread