Converting to E Cigs with regards to Nicotine content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
never mind, just read some info on lethal doses of nicotine and estimated consumption through analog cigs. Far less than 60mg.

8. How Much Nicotine Actually Reaches Your Brain?

One cigarette may contain 1.2 milligrams of nicotine. It's been claimed that this amount could kill 7 adults if it was injected. However when you smoke you get an incredibly diluted dose. Most of it literally goes up in smoke. What nicotine remains in the lungs is in 5 or 7 litres of air. It then diffuses through the walls of the lung into the bloodstream where it's further diluted. There may be around 100 nanograms of nicotine per ml of arterial blood which is about 1 billionth of the nicotine content written on the side of the cigarette packet.

So by the time the nicotine gets to the brain it's at a level of about 40 nanograms per ml and that amount seems enough to satisfy many smokers

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
"Nicotine "Can" be lethal at 40-60mg... (This level is the level which any single fatality has occurred, not a volume which will lead everyone to death.) It is not actually lethal (100% fatality rate), until around 300mg. That is the point in which no human can survive, as known by the FDA."

Above quoted from another thread, im not saying either is correct until i research it myself.

I also have read a lot of BS on the interenet, i could go find a page now that tells you nicotine is amazing for you.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Tolerance is different for everyone, some people don't notice the effects of nicotine at very high levels and some get a buzz from 6mg/low. The more you get used to the more you will need for the same effect.

Nicotine isn't the whole story when it comes to replacing smoking either. There's lack of oxygen to the brain, harmine, etc. to take into account.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-not-complete-substitute-tobacco-smoking.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/8769-selecting-correct-juice-density.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Something else to bear in mind is that taking a steady dose of nicotine keeps tolerance high. Having spikes and lows allows the tolerance to reduce and lower amounts of nicotine to have greater effect.

NIB-fig2.gif

I vape zero or low/6mg constantly until I get a craving and then I have a couple of drops of medium/11mg or high/18mg for a spike. That is much more like smoking and gives me far better effect than a constant dose.

Over a day I maybe vape 0.5ml of high and as much low as I want. I'm trying not to use more than 24mg per day and spikes are a great way to stay within my allowance but still get good effect.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
I think it's worth mentioning that is isn't just how many analogs you smoked a day, but also, what kind. 20 Camels compared to 20 Ultra lights are NOT the same.

I just called a tobacco company to learn the nicotine level of a certain "Ultra Light 100" cigarette. What I was told, true or not, was a bit of a shock. I always assumed an "Ultra Light" had less tar and nicotine than a "Light" which had less than a cigarette that is not tagged with a qualifier. I was told that these qualifiers are flavor related only and have absolutely nothing to do with tar and nicotine content. As in a Basic Ultra Light 100 cigarette may have just as much tar and nicotine as a "full-flavored" Basic 100 cigarette.

I also learned that the original Cambridge method of quantifying tar and nicotine levels in cigarettes was determined to be flawed and the Feds released the tobacco companies from any requirement to either publish or provide this information in any form. They have removed all such information from websites and packaging and they ain't telling when asked directly.

Last edited:

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
I always assumed an "Ultra Light" had less tar and nicotine than a "Light" which had less than a cigarette that is not tagged with a qualifier. I was told that these qualifiers are flavor related only and have absolutely nothing to do with tar and nicotine content. As in a Basic Ultra Light 100 cigarette may have just as much tar and nicotine as a "full-flavored" Basic 100 cigarette.
In that case, I'm sorry but I don't get it. How come Silk Cut Silver (in the UK, which used to be called "ultra light extra mild" or some such thing) packets have "1 mg Tar, 0.1 mg Nicotine" clearly written on them, whilst basic Silk Cut or other brands have something like 0.5 mg or 1 mg nicotine (and relevant tar content) marked on the packs?

What am I missing or what have I misunderstood?

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Did they not just put little holes in the filter so you were not getting the amount of tar and nicotine you would in the regulars?

I know whenever i have been passed a silk cut from somebody i made sure i covered the holes so i could get a good drag on it lol.

Im not sure how they work out what tar and nicotine are in them but the method they use may be unacurate?

I know a few years back now in the UK they actually banned any cigarettes from being labelled as lights.

Maybe somebody else could spread some more light on how they get the figures?

Cheers Lee.

Edit - Just found this http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/tobacco/light-cigarettes im about to go read it myself.

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
I would have thought that there'd have to be some degree of accuracy to the content levels or else it wouldn't it be illegal to make false claims on the quantity of "ingredients"?

There are 3 Silk Cuts: The purple ones with 0.5 mg nic, the blue ones with 0.3 mg nic and the silver ones with 0.1 mg nic. All of them have holes in the paper that covers the filter. If I remember correctly, it was Silk Cut that were the first to do this decades ago, I remember seeing it as an "innovation" on "Tomorrow's World" at the time.

The easiest way to find the holes is to get an old dog-end, carefully remove the remaining tobacco, cut the paper along the length of the filter and remove the filter. Then look on the inside of the paper, the holes are then quite visible. In the Silk Cut Silver, there are two rows of quite large and wide holes, certainly larger than a pinprick.

Yes, it's true most people refuse the "mildest" of the Silk Cuts, LOL, as they couldn't get anything out of them and, if desperate, they'd just plain remove the entire filter and still complain that it was too weak!

I smoked the Silver ones (still do, although only about 5% of what I did before, haven't yet managed to wean myself off analogues completely) and was always aware that covering the holes risked making them "stronger", so I made sure I never did. I also never inhaled into my lungs as I hated it, often not even as far as my throat, although I may well have taken more frequent puffs.

Given that I smoked such supposedly "low nic" analogues, I'm completely baffled as to why I don't get the slightest hint of OD or "buzz" with liquids as high (to me) as 18 mg... I don't use 18 mg much, mainly for the "morning" kick and for occasional "spikes", whilst alternating with 0, 6 and 11 mg, and I intend to soon stop the 18 mg. I'm not quite sure, though, why 0 mg alone doesn't quite do it for me yet, although I can - somewhat contradictorily - go days with mainly 0 mg only. Perhaps it's the lack of all the other addictive ingredients in analogues? Or maybe I'm just an odd-ball smoker and vaper :lol:

C2Girl

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Virginia
Great thread guys!
I am a newbie, analog free for 16 days and went right to my 901 penstyle. Started with cartridges, then got the sampler pack from Johnson Creek. Pretty nice selection. I have not experienced any side-effects, but vape quite a bit. Smoked almost 2 packs day and don't miss them at all. Haven't coughed in a week and my breaths are better. Anyway, will keep informed on this thread. Nice to meet you all:)

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
This BT perpetration of fraud is why I just sigh and shake my head every time a new user comes on the forum and talks about being a "lights" or "ultra lights" user and thinks that has anything real to do with the amount of nicotine they are used to getting!
:evil:

Not to mention the studies showing clearly that those smoking the so called lights, etc, usually just smoke more or hold in the smoke more or drag deeper to compensate for those stupid holes, in order to get the nicotine they need, and without even realizing it.

virraszto

Apr 22, 2009
SE Michigan
Great thread guys!
I am a newbie, analog free for 16 days and went right to my 901 penstyle. Started with cartridges, then got the sampler pack from Johnson Creek. Pretty nice selection. I have not experienced any side-effects, but vape quite a bit. Smoked almost 2 packs day and don't miss them at all. Haven't coughed in a week and my breaths are better. Anyway, will keep informed on this thread. Nice to meet you all:)

I'm also a 2 pack a day smoker. I'm wanting to give the e-cig a try, but I'm afraid to order the wrong stuff. I smoke menthol lights. Since you started vaping, do you still smoke about 40 e-cigs? I mean do you find yourself vaping as often as a 2 pack a day smoker? Do you have to add the liquid drops every time?

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
If you are anything like me you will find when you first get your e-cig you will vape non-stop then chill out a bit as the novelty wears off. You do not need to keep dripping as you use a cartdridge which holds the juice, this can last anything from 6ish cigarettes upwards depending on the model.

Here are some good vids to check out.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-new-updated-comprehensive-intro-vaping.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/2562-helpful-links-videos-new-user.html

Cheers Lee.

Wally

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
San Francisco
Sorry if this thread was on it's way out but have been using my e-cig for a few days and after looking at the math threads and doing some of my own research what I ended up doing was going with 6mg (I just wish I didn't spend so much money experimenting on different strengths now that I know lol). I smoked Pall Mall Light 100s which contain 0.8 mg/nic per smoke. Since I seem to be getting more nic from e-cigs I decided that going under would balance out. I smoked a lot in that I went through a lot of cigarettes in a day but I never really smoked an entire cig. Usually either burnt out when I got caught up in something or I'd snuff it early.

I've noticed with the 6mg I can just puff away all day (as others seem to do) but even the 11mg strength were getting me light headed and I tried 18mg and couldn't stand more than 1 or 2 puffs.

I'm also thinking of getting some 0 nic juice to see if I'm even addicted to nicotine or not. I have an hour commute home from work every day and where I would usually have 3-4 cigs between my job and my house I barely had a few puffs on my e-cig the last 2-3 blocks before I got home today.

All of what you say here is very much my own experience. So after 30 years of smoking maybe a pack a day, I find I can get by with very little nicotine. I am mostly smoking my own mixes of PG and/or VG and some Walnut flavoring (which is tobacco-like). After lunch or dinner, I have some hits from an 18mg solution dripped into the same cartridge. I also agree with another poster that the "carbon monoxide" high that you get from tobacco just isn't here with the e-cig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread