Converting to E Cigs with regards to Nicotine content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Yes we all smoke differently too, a lot of my cigarettes were gone in four puffs hehe, i never wasted any of it, other people take small drags and dock it out so even 2 people smoking 20 a day can be getting a vastly different intake of nicotine.

Not really valid to this thread but i was at the hospital yesterday and after a bad situation i went outside and smoked an analog, after weeks of not smoking an analog i was expecting head rush and maybe for it not to taste good. I was shocked a little as i had no head rush and it did taste like it always did, the only thing that stuck out in my mind is the fact that the analog felt light... extremely light hehe im talking about in weight, i know when i hang an ecig out of my mouth but it just felt strange with an analog with no weight. Anyways im not going back to analogs it was just a bad situation and a moment of weakness, i do feel also that the analog gave me nothing that ecigs don't which can only be a good thing.

Cheers Lee.

waywardsister

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
I've found the easiest way, for me, is to do what Kate mentioned - a very low nic level for mindless vaping, and then a higher level for when I want a real hit. I work at home in front of my computer all day and am used to smoking all the time, so a very low nic level is great for that (about 6mg or so). When I actually feel like I want a cig, I switch to something over 20mg. I think the best thing I did was get 36mg juice, so I can cut it to whatever level I want. I cut my Johnson's Creek 11mg as well. So far, switching it up like this has kept me from "od-ing" at all ;)

I did a little research on the nicotine intake issue. Nowhere will you find how much nicotine is in a pack of cigarettes from the tobacco companies, but I did find some answers from some independent labs. For Marlboros there is an average of 1.89 mg of nicotine in EACH cigarette!!! That's almost 38mg per pack times two for me puts me at 76mg a day for smokes. I'm puffing on the Red Dragon e-cigs and I get almost a full day on one 16mg cart, and I puff on it alot through the day. I may have to start another one after dinner and that's it.So by my calcs. I'm cutting my nicotine intake quite a bit.

cherrypopwizkid

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Chesterfield Virginia, USA
I seem to be taking a slightly different approach than most people. Or maybe I'm just planning to take one.

Most people here report having vaped more than they smoked in the first couple of weeks before mellowing out, or they report a major deciding factor for their purchase was the ability to smoke anywhere, anytime.

Health was my number one concern. Removing tar and carcinogens, and I wanted to actually reduce nicotine consumption. I don't plan on actually vaping until I really start to feel a withdrawl. In that sense I would use it like an inhaler, only used when the patinet feels asthma symptoms.

I don't want to quit nicotine entirely for a few reasons, at least not right now. So e-cigs seem perfect for me, although I've only tried it once and mine is on the way.

As a result, I don't think I'm going to be going through carts as fast or needing to measure as thoughly but I may be wrong.

I haven't taken willpower out of the equation, I understand there are other oral fixation issues and I can expect many of the same side effects as someone who just quit smoking entirely for the first couple of weeks (which I'd get any way, because when we smoke analogs its not just nicotine our bodies are forming a habit to.)

I am a bit concerned about accidentally ingesting the liquid though. If a little bit were to spill from the cart while I was puffing how serious would the consequences be?

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Hey there i started for lots of different reasons, but i did not want to quit analogs, i enjoyed them and maybe one day would have quit but like many i put the dangers to the back of my find.

When there was a new way of smoking i decided to give it a try on the grounds that at was a new maybe safer way to smoke and still be enjoyable.

As for the liquid in your mouth, i not once have heard of anybody becoming ill from getting a little in there mouth from the cart and i am sure lots and lots of people do.

I for one have got plenty in my mouth over the time i have been doing it with no ill effects.

There is a thread about it here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s/11877-health-concerns-leeking-e-liquid.html Although it did go off topic a little.

The generaly consensus is don't go out of your way to get it in your mouth but a tiny amount by accident is fine, of course these are the opinions of general users including myself.

Hope this sets your mind at rest a little.

Cheers Lee.

nwofoxhound

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Hello everyone, my name is David and I am new here to the forum. I was browsing a lot and noticed that many people who have switched to e-cigs are those who are used to smoking somewhere between half a pack to two packs a day...

For me, I smoke, on average, about 3 - 4 analog cigs a day (Turkish Gold) and thus, I am barely getting a lot of nicotine. I wanted to purchase the E-Cig because I feel that by only smoking 3 - 4 times a day, with something that isnt even as harmful as a cig would be the ideal situation.

Anyways, before I continue rambling, I was just wondering what type of e-liquid to buy, as far as nicotine content goes. If you were to attribute 1 mg of nicotine to ea. cig, then I guess I would only get 4 or 5 mg of nic per day and I only plan on using the e-cig 4/5 times a day, and I REALLY dont wanna go over that 5 mg nic limmit.

In other words, I dont want to become more dependent/addicted to the e-cig more than I am to regular cigs, if you know what I mean. Any help would be appreciated!

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
If i were in your situation i would get the lowest juice or carts that i could and try and vape it only 3 - 4 time a day just like you do with the analogs.

Of course maybe you do not even need to go as far as ecigs, you may be better off trying someting like the mini version low nicotine snus from the somewhere like the northener Northerner.com, buy Snus online, order shipped within 24 hours express worldwide they also do a Tobacco gum http://www.northerner.com/snus/Northerner_Tobacco_Gum-278/Firebreak Tobacco Gum-1994/ something like that gum does not really contain enough nicotine to make it worthwhilst a pack a day smoker switching although for somebody in your shoes it may be just the thing you need.

You may be better off with an ecig and low strength juice but you would have to be careful you don't vape all the time like some people do when they get there ecigs.

This is just an idea and something to look into, i think that firebreak gum may be enough to satisfy your craving, or maybe even the pharmacy type nicorette type gum may be ideal for you as it just does not give enough nic for the pack a day upwards smoker.

Just some things for you to look into.

Cheers Lee.

Vee

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, U.S.A.
I'm new to e-cigs as well. Last night, I registered on this site and put up my review of Red Dragon. Just thought I'd put my input in as well on the amount of nicotine.

My experience so far.... I have the Red Dragon and ordered Medium (11mg) carts. The Mediums are WAAAAY too strong. I get SERIOUSLY buzzed off of 5+ tokes. I normally smoke Camel No. 9 Menthol which are .8 mg / cig and I smoke a pack a day for 16mg / day.

Now, as with any addictive drug, you have to continuously take more and more of it to get a high. By using the same amount all the time, you will not notice a buzz, just maintain your body's need. This means that within 5 drags on my e-cig, I'm getting more than .8mg of nicotine! This could be due to a bad battery or atomizer but I don't think so. With Red Dragons, the atomizer is built in to the nic cart and I've tried 5 different carts now with the same result. I take one primer puff and then a full drag until the light goes off (I heard if you don't drag when the light is on you risk burning the atomizer and/or the liquid).

So, there's only three options as to what is going on in my case:

A) I'm getting a lot more nicotine per puff in an e-cig than a reg cig.
B) I'm getting buzzed off of other chemicals in the liquid mixture.
C) I'm allergic to propylene glycol or other ingredient in the mixture.

The most likely answer is A.

I agree with Boomer that until real studies are done, there's now way to know. Even then, the shoddy manufacturing of most e-cigs (through my experience of Red Dragon and through the reviews of other e-cig model owners), makes it impossible to really know how much nicotine you are getting per puff. The way you puff, the way the atomizer burns, liquid strength, how you drip, etc. will always be variables.

As others have said, I think just listening to your body is the best way. There will probably be no way to truely regulate how much nicotine we get per puff until technology on these things goes through at least another 5 generations, imo. Until then, e-cigs *could* be dangerous to those with more heavier smoking habits and addictive tendencies. I REALLY don't want to trade the carcinogens in real cigs for a bigger nicotine addiction. So, I'm ordering another type of e-cig with the lowest nicotine possible (6mg) and I'll see how it goes. If I'm still getting too buzzed, I'll have to give up the hope of e-cigs.

Good luck to all and I'd love to hear any responses to my post. Seems like a very supportive and intelligent community here.

Vee

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Hey Vee welcome,

Did you know you can get refill liquid too? If you get that you have more flexibility in as you can get the lowest strength and then cut it even more with either the zero nicotine version of the same liquid or VG or PG, check out the DIY section of this forum.

The only thing i don't really agree on, for me personally i would not mind even doubling my nicotine if i was sure i was not getting the same harmfull carcinogens. I plan to start experimenting with different ways soon of getting my nicotine and have ordered some Sweedish Snus and some Snuff ill post about how i get on with them when it lands.

Cheers Lee.

PS I've recently been reading this guys blog and he has some real good information for anybody wanting to try the snus Gink(')s Matter(s)

Vee

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, U.S.A.
I've been reading this thread so yeah, I've heard about the dripping. I'm not sure what you mean by VG and PG but I am very interested in it but concerned for getting the right amount in my system. I liked one posters idea about alternating 1 drop 0 nic for 1 drop of nic when refilling. I will see how I like the Dura-C and their stock carts. I really hope the flavor of their carts taste better than Red Dragon's. Man those things are weak and nasty, imo. Do all e-cig liquids have that sweet taste to it?

As for the trade-off of higher nicotine addiction vs carcinogens, well, I might agree with you if I had more confidence in the apperatus' quality and availability, not to mention possible restrictions from law. Upping your need for nicotine that much to then be possibly cut off is a bit frightening to think of how many cigarettes you'd have to smoke to get to the amount you upped with e-cig.

We shall see. I have much hope for the future of e-cigs. Could be such a good thing for some many smokers and people that live with them.

nwofoxhound

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
um... i was thinking that ill get the ultra low liquids, like 4mg and then mix it a little bit with the 0mg liquid to make it super low...

i am honestly more addicted to the action of smoking rather than the nicotine itself, so ill probably ween myself off the nicotine and use the 0mg eventually.

thus, ill get NO harmful effects yet ill still continue the notion of smoking. what do you guys think, is it worth it? i personally think so!

Rickbar

May 3, 2009
Melville, NY
Greetings all. My name is, yep, you guessed it, Rick. I am very new to this but I have read alot of posts and researched a lot on my own. As far as nicotine in analogs is concerned, there are sites that list the nicotine content of certain brands. Really not that hard to find. I was wondering, I bought some TW Marlboro 36mg but cut it with VG about 50/50. I was too chicken to use it straight after some of the things I read. Can anyone tell me how much I changed the taste also or should I just try the 36mg and dial 911. LOL

hyperdeficit

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Lucas, Texas
I hope I did my math right but maybe someone can correct it if im wrong. I smoke 16 or 17 cigs a day, and marborlo king size menthol have 1.1 mgs of nic that comes to 17.60 and lets say i smoke 4 carts ( I dont have my ecig) they say that a cart = like analogs... to reach my daily level then I would need about a 7mg liquid? Is this correct

Last edited:

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
I hope I did my math right but maybe someone can correct it if im wrong. I smoke 16 or 17 cigs a day, and marborlo king size menthol have 1.1 mgs of nic that comes to 17.60 and lets say i smoke 4 carts ( I dont have my ecig) they say that a cart = like analogs... to reach my daily level then I would need about a 7mg liquid? Is this correct

Sounds about right. I would plump for 12mg though as easy to get this unless you understand how to dilute or cut liquid.

12mg would do you ok.

I would actually get 24mg and cut a small amount down to 12mg and try a few days. If it isn;t enough, you can try the 24mg.

Best of both worlds.

Brooks

May 10, 2009
Chicago
I just hope I can find a reasonable mix to completely get off analogs. I am a fireman and when we get a good fire I pop a 4mg commit lozenge before I mask-up and go in. LOL... kinda hard to smoke with the mask on.

Problem being.... I love the nic-effect! So now it seems that the more I vape the more I want. (Especially the Kona flavor.... Mmmmmm!)

I think maybe I oughtta drop to about 5mg and just vape my head off.

As all of you know, I was concerned about the nicotine content of my ecig so I'm very grateful that this thread exists and was made sticky. I went to the American Spirit site, since that's one of the brands I smoke (the other premade being George Karelias and Sons). They have a full chart of the amount of nicotine in each style of cigarette. So the mediums are 1.79. If I rounded that to 1.8 it would take a little over three cigarettes to equal 6 mg, which is the amount in my cartridges. That's fine since I usually smoke two (no more than four) cigs a day. But is the nicotine in ecigs more conscentrated i.e. would one cartridge equal 3+ cigarettes as I figured or no? Am I getting a heavier dosage when I drag on my Vapor King versus a regular cigarette? I definitely puff on it more than I would with my regular ones but it's taken me a few days to finish off one cartridge. So does that mean that I'm getting less nicotine this way than if I were to smoke my two or three regular cigs per day? Btw, I'm assuming that it's empty cause the taste changed. Too bad no one has the 0s yet. I've never been addicted and don't wanna start now.

Vee

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, U.S.A.
Just thought I'd post again to this thread after vaping for about 3 weeks now with a 510 and e-liquid.

Until recently, I really had no way to gauge how much I was taking in. The main reason being that I didn't have a proper measure! Now that I received my Johnson Creek starter kit, I was able to measure some liquid into the syringe and then put it into the small dropper bottle.

I filled up the syringe with exactly 2ml of 18mg fluid and put it in the 3ml dropper bottle that came with the kit. I didn't do this until my cartridges were refilled at least 1 time. Reasoning behind it is that if you do this with new carts, you never smoke the end portion of the cart just due to the inefficiency of most atomizer and cartridge combos. There's ALWAYS fluid left (and not just a little... quite a bit).

So, I made sure my carts had already been refilled twice from new. Then solely using the dropper bottle with 2ml of liquid in it all day. Once the day was up, I took the syringe and sucked up the remainder and subtracted that amount from the 2ml.

Doing that, I found, at least at home sitting in front of my comp all day jonesing for a real cig, I consumed ~1.5ml of fluid. At 18mg per ml, that means 27mg of nicotine for the day. When I was smoking, I was smoking Camel No. 9 Menthols which are .8 mg per cig and I typically had about 20 per day. That's 16mg per day so I've basically upped my nicotine (while at home and being a computer potato) by 69%. Ouch!

I was still smoking 3-5 real cigs while vaping until recently. So, I'm ok with taking in extra nic for a bit as I finally kicked my analog habit completely (going on my 4th day now!!). But I will be atempting to move down to a lower nicotine strength soon. Just wish Totally Wicked would carry a bigger stock of the lower strength liquids! So far, they're the only nic juice I can stand!

From my experience so far, there's no way to tell exactly how much nicotine you're taking in unless you use liquid. Pre-filled carts will always have some liquid at the end even though it's no longer producing a good flavor or vapor.

Just my findings so far. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread