COPD, The E-Cig and Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
I was diagnosed with severe COPD just over a year ago. I had alreay been off the smokes for 6 month before that diagnosis but started vaping to ensure I didn't restart. I've found the ecopure vg juice to be a lot easier on the throat than the pg which was making me constantly hoarse (I only get the hoarseness ocassionally now).

I'll be looking into vitamin D3. I found low dose theophylline (100 mg twice daily in conjunction with seretide 500) gave my breathing a boost. My peak flow increased 10% and it certainly increased my exercise tolerance although I'd like to get off medication altogether. Some research regarding theophylline here Treatment breakthrough for ‘smoker's lung' - health - 05 April 2005 - New Scientist (research is ongoing).

Last edited:

edbaar49

Nov 24, 2009
Saratoga, CA.
I haven't been diagnosed with COPD, but as a nurse by profession I've seen my share. I can say that before I quit smoking my wheezing at night sounded like a basket of kittens. Two weeks into vaping and not smoking, that's gone and I'm feeling healthier overall. Good on you, LittleLuLu! It may indeed be a little too late to return to a pristine body, but never too late to improve one's situation... no matter how slightly.

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
I was diagnosed with severe COPD just over a year ago. I had alreay been off the smokes for 6 month before that diagnosis but started vaping to ensure I didn't restart. I've found the ecopure vg juice to be a lot easier on the throat than the pg which was making me constantly hoarse (I only get the hoarseness ocassionally now).

I'll be looking into vitamin D3. I found low dose theophylline (100 mg twice daily in conjunction with seretide 500) gave my breathing a boost. My peak flow increased 10% and it certainly increased my exercise tolerance although I'd like to get off medication altogether. Some research regarding theophylline here Treatment breakthrough for ‘smoker's lung' - health - 05 April 2005 - New Scientist (research is ongoing).

That is really good news for me on the VG. I hope I get the same results.
If I keep sounding like a heavy smoker noone is going to believe this is a good thing for me. :rolleyes:

Theo - I took that many years ago, back when my diagnosis was still only bronchial asthma or asthmatic bronchitis (depending on how sick I was LOL). It is intereating that it is cited as a "breakthrough". I'll be reading that link. Thanks

I have never heard of seretide 500 except in this thread - I will google it.

Ted, is hoarsness the only adverse side effect you noticed when you took up e-smoking? Were you taking the same meds then as now? Like me, you were smoke free when you started vaping so you have a unique position to notice the effects of it compared to someone who switched over from analogs to vaping. You had a longer smoke free time than me, too, so probably an even better perspective. Anyway - I'm pretty interested :)

Thanks for posting AdikTed and please keep us updated.

I really appreciate all the posts in this thread. I just knew there had to be a bunch of us around here :) and it really is helping me educationally, emotionally and socially. Isn't the internet amazing? I'd be hard pressed to find another e-smoker much less one with COPD in my daily offline life and now I am acquainted with several. I'm loving it. :thumbs:

LLL

Bekinder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Oklahoma
Hi All, This has been fascinating reading. I was told by my pulmonologist
that I would develop COPD or chronic bronchial asthma; that was two years ago. I have found great relief from shortness of breath using the vaporizers.
I too have some problems with the large PG amounts and try to use more
VG in my juice. I am fascinated by the information here and Katmar, thanks for mentioning the D3. I am a vitamin taker and have been for years now.
I will looking into these recommendations for myself, and maybe, just maybe, it's in the supplement I am already taking. Since this is a sunshine type thing,
no wonder I get depressed and lazier in the winter months. Thanks Lillulu
for starting this thread and to all that have added their knowledge into it.
Happy New Year!

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lulu,

Yep, lost both of my mothers over the past 2 years. My aunt who raised me died from congestive heart failure last year and my biological mother passed away this year from cancer (both were smokers). It has been a rough couple years for sure.

Even if e-cigs aren't the magic bullet, keep using them. They are much better for you than analogs and you will see benefit from them. I smoked for 20 years and this is the best I've felt in a long time. No more wheezing, sleep apnea and I feel great. I still have the occasional cigarette when I get pretty drunk but all in all they have been fantastic. I think PV's are saving a lot of people's lives right now and I'm a huge advocate for them. I had a vaping party at the house with some kits for sale, it was a huge success. 5 or 6 or my friends now vape and really enjoy it.

All I can say is keep the chin up and your batteries charged. Focus on today and don't worry about tomorrow- it makes it alot easier. Also make sure to stock up on extra parts and juice so you have backups for your devices- this will lessen the chances of a relapse due to not having a PV to use due to technical issues!

I think all of us are sending you good energy!

lashmn

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
SW FL (Naples)
Great thread. Thanks, Lulu for starting it and telling your story.

Almost exactly a year ago (Jan 5th) I was rushed to hospital with breathing problems. It was thought I had a heart attack and after numerous tests including a nuclear scan I was informed that I had COPD and some heart issues (never really determined what but all is good now with my heart) plus my blood work was way out of wack.

While in the hospital for 5 days I was very sick but felt better each day with oxygen and inhalation therapy plus no analogs. Before this episode I had lost a massive amount of weight which I could ill afford so I sort of suspected COPD after researching weight loss.

I came out of the hospital and remained smoke free for about three weeks when I started back with a few each day. I tried everything (as I had in the past) and when I went on Chantix, I thought it was going to kill me. As a true addict I convinced myself that smoking was better than Chantix but I keep the number down to under 10 a day (from 25-30).

I was able to gain 20 lbs back (still need another 5-10), got my blood work back to near perfect and an angiogram and further scans have shown that my heart is fine and lungs are not as bad as originally thought. I am still taking Advair and Spiriva but rarely use a rescue inhaler (Ventolin). My blood oxygen is consistently 98 where it was in the low to mid 90's in hospital. So life is good except that despite using PV's I still sneak smoke analogs (5-8 a day). I want to quit so badly and the time has come to get serious about staying with PV's only. (have been using them since August) I have never shared all of this with anyone but my hubby and this thread has given me the motivation that I need.

I do need to switch to VG exclusively as the PG is hard on my throat and I wake up with a slight cough. Having a long weekend will give me an opportunity to make up some new batches of tasty VG concoctions that will get me away from the PG.

Thanks for "listening" and also for the advice on D3. I know I can use that. In fact it could help with my most pressing medical problem-neck and head pain from a ruptured disk and other spinal ailments and also with borderline osteoporosis. (Wow, having re-read this I sound like a hypochondriac but these are all real issues)

Happy New Year, Everyone.
Lynn

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Hi, I am trying mainly my own mixing, using LorAnn - consentrate / 24mg 0% nicotine / and PG (Propelyene Glycol. Pharmacopoeia-Grade)This way I can start to reduce if need be,I have tried 36mg and far to heavy/strong for me,

I am waiting for some VG (VegatableGlycerine) hopefully from fleabay but need the answer from questions "Is it food/lung safe? As soon as I have it I will give it ago VG in place of PG and then combo's of both %wise and post it here after I have the effects re: COPD lung functions -/+?. if anyones interested.

Also I can get this liquid is this a form of VG? Aqueous Glycerine

info:aqueous glycerine is a blend of glycerine USP and just enough deionised water to thin it to the perfect consistency for vaping.
It can be added to any juice to increase vapour production and add a little extra sweetness, or mix it with the flavouring of your choice to produce a very economical zero-nicotine ejuice.

Marlboro Man:
Just in case you haven't tried ECOpure liquid, here's the URL for the Intellicig page:
ECOpure E-Liquid : Electronic Cigarettes, Electric Cigarette, E-Cigarettes, E-Cig, E-Liquid

I'm just mentioning this because I believe that, if VG-based liquid is easier on the lungs than PG-based, ECOpure should be the best of all commercially available liquids.

At £12.26 per 20ml it's a bit pricey but there appears to be a sizeable discount for bulk orders, see this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/intellicig/13660-ecopure-liquid-bulk-25.html

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
I tried to find something more current on the Treatment breakthrough for smokers lung and could not. Do you know where something more current is. This article was dated in 2005.

Martha, I emailed the big cheese involved in that research about 6 months ago and was told the research was ongoing but not much else. They're now involved with some pharmaceutical mob and that's probably the reason there's not much information about. Disappointingly I've not had any further improvement from the theophylline (I've been on it about 4 months now) so I'd guess it's fell short of their initial expectations but it maybe they're trying to isolate the ingredient in theophylline that increaeses the the hdac2 receptors so the drug company can integrate it into a steroid inhaler.

The only other research I found of any note was this

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/64/5/424.abstract

Last edited:

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
Ted, is hoarsness the only adverse side effect you noticed when you took up e-smoking? Were you taking the same meds then as now? Like me, you were smoke free when you started vaping so you have a unique position to notice the effects of it compared to someone who switched over from analogs to vaping. You had a longer smoke free time than me, too, so probably an even better perspective. Anyway - I'm pretty interested :)

It's hard to say Lulu as 3 months after I stopped smoking I became really breathless at times. I then caught a chest infection from hell that saw me rushed to A&E one morning unable to breathe. That took about 3 months to fully clear up. Shortly afterwards I took up vapping but since then I've been a bit up and down so it's hard to say if any of that was caused by vaping. The pg definitely made me hoarser and drier than the vg but not sure about anything else. What I can say though is that I practically chain vape the ecopure (24 - 36 mg) and I reckon I'd be dead if I'd been doing the same with tobacco.

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
I haven't been diagnosed with COPD, but as a nurse by profession I've seen my share. I can say that before I quit smoking my wheezing at night sounded like a basket of kittens. Two weeks into vaping and not smoking, that's gone and I'm feeling healthier overall. Good on you, LittleLuLu! It may indeed be a little too late to return to a pristine body, but never too late to improve one's situation... no matter how slightly.

Very true. Perfection may be unattainable, but progress isn't.

I remember just a couple months ago the best I ever felt was "ok" if I didn't move around too much or get over excited.

If I even laughed I would get breathless and have a coughing spell. I can laugh til I wet my pants now and not cough at all. That's progress.

I slept propped up by a gazillion pillows or in the easy chair. I have been sleeping flat and with one pillow for weeks now! That's progress.

Thanks for reminding me and continued success to you edbaar49!

LLL

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
Great thread. Thanks, Lulu for starting it and telling your story.

Almost exactly a year ago (Jan 5th) I was rushed to hospital with breathing problems. It was thought I had a heart attack and after numerous tests including a nuclear scan I was informed that I had COPD and some heart issues (never really determined what but all is good now with my heart) plus my blood work was way out of wack.

While in the hospital for 5 days I was very sick but felt better each day with oxygen and inhalation therapy plus no analogs. Before this episode I had lost a massive amount of weight which I could ill afford so I sort of suspected COPD after researching weight loss.

I came out of the hospital and remained smoke free for about three weeks when I started back with a few each day. I tried everything (as I had in the past) and when I went on Chantix, I thought it was going to kill me. As a true addict I convinced myself that smoking was better than Chantix but I keep the number down to under 10 a day (from 25-30).

I was able to gain 20 lbs back (still need another 5-10), got my blood work back to near perfect and an angiogram and further scans have shown that my heart is fine and lungs are not as bad as originally thought. I am still taking Advair and Spiriva but rarely use a rescue inhaler (Ventolin). My blood oxygen is consistently 98 where it was in the low to mid 90's in hospital. So life is good except that despite using PV's I still sneak smoke analogs (5-8 a day). I want to quit so badly and the time has come to get serious about staying with PV's only. (have been using them since August) I have never shared all of this with anyone but my hubby and this thread has given me the motivation that I need.

I do need to switch to VG exclusively as the PG is hard on my throat and I wake up with a slight cough. Having a long weekend will give me an opportunity to make up some new batches of tasty VG concoctions that will get me away from the PG.

Thanks for "listening" and also for the advice on D3. I know I can use that. In fact it could help with my most pressing medical problem-neck and head pain from a ruptured disk and other spinal ailments and also with borderline osteoporosis. (Wow, having re-read this I sound like a hypochondriac but these are all real issues)

Happy New Year, Everyone.
Lynn

Happy New Year Lynn! I am so glad you shared your story here. I have some weight I'd like to give you - I wish it worked that way. If I have to have COPD, I want the weight loss symptom! But no - I 'm GAINING weight. :rolleyes:

That Chantix - I guess it has helped a lot of people but not only did I continue to smoke I became very intolerant and angry and nastier than I ever remember being before (or since). What did it do to you? I had to draw the line when I found myself hatching a hypothetical murder plan in my mind. I never had thoughts like that before and I never want them again.

You don't sound like a hypochondriac to me - LOL. I didn't tell my other old lady problems. But I will now. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, borderline diabetic, TOS. The only thing I don't take pills for is diabetes and if I watch it I may never have to - but can you imagine having to give up chocolate and analogs? sigh . . . My dad takes way more medicine than me :) That's how I comfort myself LOL!

I know that must have been good news to learn you were not as ill as they first told you especially with all that you do have going on already. I'm happy for you.

Seeing how many people supplement with a few analogs, I need to be real happy they don't call my name anymore. That is just a miracle! Good luck on getting rid of them if that is what you want. When I get my VG, maybe you will share your recipes :) Something chocolatey maybe?

LLL

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
I am waiting on some VG myself. I am hoping it might change the phlegm and throat irritation issues I'm having.

Marlboro Man - yes please do post your experiments and results for us!

Hi Lulu

What is the phlegm problem? If it was anything like mine I could not produce phlegm I knew it was there inside my lungs but for the life of me couln't shift it!! At my monthly visit to hospital's outpatience dept
they prescribed a capsule called "MUCODYNE" 375mg 1st off 2 every 8hrs
I'm not saying to just go get them as I was prescribed them as a relief on non phlegm production? You know coughing it up, with no resuts frustrating and painfully dangerous Anyway within a day or so I had an urge to cough and wonderful clear chest and I could breathe again.....This was prior to vaping I still take them only when the mood takes me say 1 every 8 hrs Hope this is relevant?

Marlboro Man

Art

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
Hi Lulu

What is the phlegm problem? If it was anything like mine I could not produce phlegm I knew it was there inside my lungs but for the life of me couln't shift it!! At my monthly visit to hospital's outpatience dept
they prescribed a capsule called "MUCODYNE" 375mg 1st off 2 every 8hrs
I'm not saying to just go get them as I was prescribed them as a relief on non phlegm production? You know coughing it up, with no resuts frustrating and painfully dangerous Anyway within a day or so I had an urge to cough and wonderful clear chest and I could breathe again.....This was prior to vaping I still take them only when the mood takes me say 1 every 8 hrs Hope this is relevant?

Marlboro Man

Art

I had that non-productive coughing going on when I was sick, but it had cleared up completely by the time I started e-cigs. Now I have a sore throat, really dry mouth and lips, I'm a little raspy and hoarse and I keep having to clear my throat of phlegm. All since I started the e-cig to keep from going back to analogs. While I did get a little winded and coughed a little when I was out yesterday, my lungs still feel pretty good and I'm not coughing at all since I got home.

Since I quit smoking I have felt so much better than I had in ages, years. I don't want to lose what I have regained but even though I know the very probable outcome if I go back to smoking, I can't seem to quit. Maybe I am just a weak person, but I can only deny myself just so long and then I am back smoking again and feeling disgusted with myself.

I don't think about smoking analogs now that I am vaping. That is a miracle to me, since smoking was almost all I thought about while I was not smoking - and that was having a nic lozenge in my mouth all the time. With the e-cig, I could care less about tobacco. I love vaping, but with the throat and the phlegm, I worry that it could be bad for my lungs, too.

I am so encouraged by the number of people that say it has saved them. If it is just somewhat better than smoking - well that might not be good enough to save me. I'm hoping for more than that :)

LLL

imawitch

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
anywhere my broomstick takes me
as per phlem..

before i started vaping, i had tons of phlem, everyday coughing it up,and some times it was in my chest and i couldnt make it come up, but it always rattled..i had phlem issues with my copd for the last 5 yrs..

however, after a month of vaping, im happy to say that i havent any phlem anymore? cant explain it, but im sure has heck happy about it

imawitch

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Very true. Perfection may be unattainable, but progress isn't.

I remember just a couple months ago the best I ever felt was "ok" if I didn't move around too much or get over excited.

If I even laughed I would get breathless and have a coughing spell. I can laugh til I wet my pants now and not cough at all. That's progress.

I slept propped up by a gazillion pillows or in the easy chair. I have been sleeping flat and with one pillow for weeks now! That's progress.

Thanks for reminding me and continued success to you edbaar49!

LLL

i slept with 3 pillows behind my head for years, i needed to keep myself eleavted or i would choke and not be able to breath well enuff while flat on my back..

i can now sleep on 2 feather pillows on my back..

now if i can get my gerd undercontrol..:|

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
As I said before, we seem to notice an instant improvement when we use ecigs. Then it tapers off to an even keel. But the healing continues. It is just more gradual. I truly do not believe vaping is bad for your lungs. Medically, they use inhalers and nebulizers for breathing treatments. This is not really that much different. And, definitely thousands of times safer that cigarettes.
Be kind to yourselves, and enjoy what you have been given back already.

imawitch

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
oh my stars, i just had a lucille ball moment lol

thinking, wonder how i could use my nebulizer to vape? lol

silly thing i am, could just imagine putting on my mask, getting tons of vapor lol

i gotta stop, to early and not enuff coffee yet lol

ill see ya'll l8r gonna go make breakfast for my family, yall have a good day

eta, mo, but the ecig is a miracle for this witch who has copd

lhaddix

Dec 13, 2009
Berea, Kentucky
LuLu, Did your Dr. rule out a pulmonary embolism? I've been short of breath for more than 10 years, take Advair, Spiriva, etc. but last Feb I went from the usual thing to taking 30 minutes to get from the car to the house in about 2 days, I had to take breaks to get my vision back. I thought I had pneumonia, but I had clots break loose from my legs and end up in both lungs. What was different was sudden onset. Now I take Warfarin and have an intravenous filter implanted. I had gone in weeks earlier complaining of leg pain wondering if I had a DVT (I had one years before.) and they decided it was Sciatica and gave me a ton of narcotics and said to stay in bed. This is not a good idea for someone with abnormal clotting. Not saying this is what happened to you, but it rang a bell. I guess the point is even with COPD if there is a sudden change something else may also be going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread