COPD, The E-Cig and Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

flingitnow

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Downriver, Michigan
After reading only some of the posts, I will reading more when I get home. I have smoked for over 35 years and recently had a very serious exascerbation(sp) and thought i was going to die. I could not breathe, could not eat or sleep and I am sooooo sooooo exhausted and I too was diagnosed with COPD. I tried with the Npro my first time and only had it for a short time and was going into these coughing fits that were aweful and for about a month I gave up and tried looking around for other juice options. I found this link from vapor 4 life and started doing some research from there. I ended up getting the Joye 501 from cignot with vg juice. I have to monitor myself and keep my carts juiced up good. If they get to dry I cough. If I vape too much or too deep to start I cough so I am still in the learning and adjusting stages but I will not give up. Today I did not bring enough juice with me to work but I will not make that mistake tomorrow. Do not give up. Keep asking for ideas and help and keep trying. We are all working on living better lives here and staying alive. I want to play with my grandbabies without passing out or worse. I want to be able to sing and dance again. I want to live. We need to keep this thread going so people out there know there is hope for ALL of us.
Thank you and God Speed. :)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Thanks everybody, this Thread just gets better and better.
I checked my current vitamins/supplements, and am getting 816IU of D and only 400IU of D3.
Is there a maximum allowable, haven't checked anywhere, but will do that.
I today had a "eureka moment". Last February I and my husband picked up a Love seat for a client, and I thought I was having the "Big One". That was about one month before my NPro. It took me an hour just to stop seeing stars, feeling faint, and gasping for a full breath, and shaking.
Today, we picked up a very heavy chair for a client, and I was fighting for air but worked through it, but immediately after it was loaded, I could take a deep breath, and that was the end of the burning lungs. It almost made me cry, I was so disappointed to be still having those effects, but when I got to thinking hard about it I realized how very much better I am after almost a year!
Yes I do still have days when there is a definite breathing conciousness, but nothing like before. I have never been diagnosed for COPD or asthma, BUT am going to be a little more curious about D3. I do also take 100mg of Niacin, the flashing kind, to open my vascular system especially capillaries, and do believe it has helped tremendously. But still need an occasional Primatine, and occasionally a Musinex. So far those relieve my sypmtoms very well. I've also looked at possible pulmonary hypertension, just not ready to go there yet. I was a 3-pack a day smoker.
Thanks all!

P.S. found the daily required is up to 2000IU Still reading!

Last edited:

jimac

Mar 2, 2010
USA
They have been great!.. I am also an esophageal cancer survivor(4 years) and I feel like such a weight has been lifted from my shoulders!.. The only success I ever had with nicotine replacement therapy was from Nicotrol Inhalers, but they are expensive and don't give you a very big throat hit. These e-cigs area life saver to me...

HA! I found you! :p

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks everybody, this Thread just gets better and better.
I checked my current vitamins/supplements, and am getting 816IU of D and only 400IU of D3.
Is there a maximum allowable, haven't checked anywhere, but will do that.
I today had a "eureka moment". Last February I and my husband picked up a Love seat for a client, and I thought I was having the "Big One". That was about one month before my NPro. It took me an hour just to stop seeing stars, feeling faint, and gasping for a full breath, and shaking.
Today, we picked up a very heavy chair for a client, and I was fighting for air but worked through it, but immediately after it was loaded, I could take a deep breath, and that was the end of the burning lungs. It almost made me cry, I was so disappointed to be still having those effects, but when I got to thinking hard about it I realized how very much better I am after almost a year!
Yes I do still have days when there is a definite breathing conciousness, but nothing like before. I have never been diagnosed for COPD or asthma, BUT am going to be a little more curious about D3. I do also take 100mg of Niacin, the flashing kind, to open my vascular system especially capillaries, and do believe it has helped tremendously. But still need an occasional Primatine, and occasionally a Musinex. So far those relieve my sypmtoms very well. I've also looked at possible pulmonary hypertension, just not ready to go there yet. I was a 3-pack a day smoker.
Thanks all!

P.S. found the daily required is up to 2000IU Still reading!

Kate, as we age, we are less able to absorb D3 through the skin. We usually use up appx. 5000iu per day. I have a lot of sites showing the science and levels to promote lung health. I can pm them to you, if you like. You should start at 2000iu, get your d23 level checked (25(OH)Hydroxy), then go from there. I take about 6400iu per day. The majority of this country is somewhat D3 deficient.
BTW, I am in a study group for D3.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Wow, Katmar, THANKS so much, very good info, and yes if you have a couple links I could read up I would appreciate it. The Study would be most interesting also, you should start a stickie thread when you have some data, unless you already have. I know I'm not alone about that. We vapors are a heady bunch for research for sure. Too bad we weren't so inclined when we started smoking cigarettes, but 40 years ago who knew we could sit at a desk and research data for every malady known to man. Always boggles my mind.
I know that "IU" estimates are subjective, but never dreamed the recommended would be so far off.
My order will go in today without fail.
I also want to point out again using Niacin (the flash kind). Much data for that also, even got my husband taking it for lowering cholesterol, but he ended up on meds anyway because his triglyceride level is so high, almost 400. I've got a new D3 question on his list to ask his doctor about. Sometimes suprising how not up to current data a doctor can be! His VA doc is very interested however. Using it has really helped open up capillaries especially in my face (skin tone waaay better, my mask is gone!)
Also, another slant on D3, my husband and I have both worked nights all of our working lives, so we're a little mole-like I think, along with millions of other night workers! Sunshine gives me a headache. Really does make one think about what we put our body through without a second thought. Again, thanks! Kate

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
With respect

I thought this thread was about COPD when did it change to Cancer etc......ffs... COPD is a breathing problem nothing to do with cancer

LuLu keep this thread to COPD this is not like the film Fight Club is it???

Art
I think the change happened on it's own in regard to Vitamin D3. It's not really a change, just an added track. As is what frequently happens in vitamin data.

Since I already take Bob Barefoot's Coral Calcium Ultra, w/CoQ10 (also includes 816 IU D3 and many other trace minerals) I thought this might be a good companion...anyone have experience with these?
WHAT IS VITAMIN D3? - Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) is the most biologically active form of Vitamin D. Most products contain the less active form called Ergocalciferol or Vitamin D2.
Sunlight and Vitamin D - Recent scientific research has shown the importance of Vit D production via exposure of the human skin to sunlight. Due to the fact that many Americans avoid sun exposure for a variety of reasons, Vitamin D deficiency is now being considered an epidemic in this country. Scientific experts believe Vitamin D supplementation is the best way to reverse Vitamin D deficiency.
Robert Barefoots Bob's Best Product Line provides this essential supplement.
90 - 5000 iu Tablets per bottle
1.It helps to soothe inflammation that causes you problems with your joints and increases your risk of heart and brain disease.
2.In March 2005, The New England Journal of Medicine wrote that about 430,000 heart victims per year are killed by inflammation that could be extinguished with Vitamin D3.
3.According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, Vitamin D3 also...
It protects your cells from damage.
It is an energizer to your immune system which helps your body to fight off infections.
It helps to Stop Bone Loss and Strengthen your Bones.

$18 for 90-5000IU Tabs.

Last edited:

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
I am asthmatic as well. Let me share my story. Since vaping I had stopped my 22 years old 15-20 sticks-a-day habit, I am 39 years old. As far as I could remember, 10 years ago, my Ventolin inhaler consumption was one per 6-months. 5 years ago, it was one per 3 months. 1 year ago just before I started to vape, it was one per 3 weeks. Since vaping till now it is roughly one per 9 months. I am amazed by this discovery. \
Any asthmatic ex-smoker to share their similar story?
Thanks, thats so good to know. I have a ten year old daughter and will be celebrating my 46th birthday next week. I'm hoping to be around for many more. Everytime I think I want a cigarette, i just remember how bad its going to feel if I smoke. Then I grab my PV. And the best part is, I'm wanting cigs less and less. Of course, the fact that I was lucky enough to find a great PV and then spoil myself with a ton of differnt colors and juice does help. LOL By the way, my daughter asks me everyday if I had a cigarette. She's thrilled that I finally quit.

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
I was diagnosed with COPD in August, 2009. My first PV arrived in early September and I haven't had an analog since. I began feeling better immediately (although I think the inhaler played a role) and the dark, choking phlegm began to diminish. The daily morning hacking ritual stopped completely until last month when it began again (ever so slightly) with clear phlegm. I've read conflicting reports here about the significance of the clear phlegm and wonder if any of you with COPD have tried Lung Juice. Is there anyone out there who has and, if so, has it had any impact on the phlegm production? BTW, as has been stated by so many others, I really appreciate this forum and the generous contributions of it's members!
I just received some of Drew's LungJuice. I'm going to try it, cautiously, I have allergies. I'll let you know how it seems to be affecting me after a little while, but I suspect that 30 years of smoking with asthma may take a bit to reverse. I have noticed that I already seem to be using my inhaler less. Spring is usually a rough time for me, I'm waiting to see how this one goes. I also should mention that my allergies are already 90% better. This is the first time I can remember being able to breath through my nose and I haven't woke up with my eyes stuck shut in the AM since I started vaping.

traderblue

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2008
Singapore
I just received some of Drew's LungJuice. I'm going to try it, cautiously, I have allergies. I'll let you know how it seems to be affecting me after a little while, but I suspect that 30 years of smoking with asthma may take a bit to reverse. I have noticed that I already seem to be using my inhaler less. Spring is usually a rough time for me, I'm waiting to see how this one goes. I also should mention that my allergies are already 90% better. This is the first time I can remember being able to breath through my nose and I haven't woke up with my eyes stuck shut in the AM since I started vaping.

Let me share my story with you.
I am 30 years of asthma with 22 years of smoking but quit since 9 months ago. If I remember well, 10 years ago, my Ventolin inhaler consumption was one per 6-months. 5 years ago, it was one per 3 months. 1 year ago just before I started to vape, it was one per 3 weeks. Since vaping till now it is roughly one per 9 months. I am amazed by this discovery.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I think the change happened on it's own in regard to Vitamin D3. It's not really a change, just an added track. As is what frequently happens in vitamin data.

Since I already take Bob Barefoot's Coral Calcium Ultra, w/CoQ10 (also includes 816 IU D3 and many other trace minerals) I thought this might be a good companion...anyone have experience with these?

$18 for 90-5000IU Tabs.
Oops, occurred to me Coral Calcium X 3 = 2448IU of D3, so will have to divide the D3 cabs, which is fine, will last 6 months instead of 3. Ufda, that's why taking supplements etc is a little tricky sometimes. We have to be careful not to over-do. This added just FYI, a little caution note.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Hey, Katmar, And All!
Call me crazy, but I've been taking my D3 as promised, and in the three weeks almost since I got them (using 5000IU D3 daily now) I have not had ONE 'short of breath' day.
I am almost afraid to say that, it'll probably happen tomorrow.
But I think there may be something to this. Yes, I'm out of shape and about 30# more than I'd like, so do puff a little on exertion, but my Primatine tablets are still in the package just as they were three weeks ago. Geez, what next, a stair-climber?? (Probably a good idea.)
Just thought I would check in with this. Could be just coincidence. Or could be more fresh air since the sun finally melted the rest of our snow. Or could be it was what I needed to really keep my bronchi open. Inflamation down, perhaps. Don't know. But the only thing that I am doing different is the bigger dose of D3. When I do have a flareup it can last sometimes for 3 or 4 days of "asthma" or something like it. It's as if my diaphragm forgets what it's supposed to do. I can hardly wait now to see what happens when everything starts to bloom again. (pollen)
I had to go back 11 pages of posts to find this Thread again, now have it bookmarked.
I see no one else has added any news, but will keep an eye out.
Thanks for your Helpful suggestion!!!
Kate

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Katmar says she is taking 6400IU a day, post 106. The recommended is 2000IU but that's with just a quick google on the subject. I have not looked for or read any studies so really can't comment with any status.
Something has changed for me, but as I said time will be the judge.
This is a good page, look for more links here:
Here's another that cautions about excessive high doses (toxicity), but I think we're safe!

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Nice job lonercom! Rickets is really hard on your shoes!
But you're kidding, no more CPAP would be a major blessing. My soninlaw uses one for sleep apnea, but he also needs to lost some weight, which is again out of control because he quit smoking cold turkey. I told him. He just turned 41 so thinks he knows everything. He thought the 'guys' at work would laugh at him for using an e-cig. I told him they probably wouldn't even come to his funeral, so why care about that.

Lonercom, did you research D3 on your own or have a doctor's input, just interested in the connection. And could you feel the difference right away? I'm kind of amazed at my condition right now, that short of breath feeling is frightening and debilitating too. But you'd need a molecular scientist to be able to tell what was going on in your tissues and nerves. I am really wondering if the D3 did relieve some of the assumed inflamation. I have RA in my finger joints as well, fairly progressed, and even those have not been real touchy lately, now that I think about it. The damage will always be there, but the inflammation flares without any compassion at all, making them extemely hurtful and tender, makes me cry. Ha! Maybe found a real help without those immuno-compromising drugs they offer. I must remember to thank Katmar for that, I'll just keep on taking D3 and make some notes for real reference.

Last edited:

lonercom

ECF Veteran
Actually, the short of breath thing (as in no more) I attributed to vaping. CPAP I'm figuring probably a combination of weight loss, repaired septum and vaping.

Didn't think about the D3 till I saw it here. I started taking it on my Dr. advice. He was actually prescribing 25000IU short term but is OK with the daily since I work a sedentary job.

Metstoo

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Central Florida
I have been vaping since January and analog free for over a month. I've had some coughing and allergic asthma symptoms off and on since. The asthma I attributed to Spring allergies. This past 2 weeks have been horrible with the late oak season here in FL. Oak and dust are my two main allergens and I have been wheezing and miserable.

I have a sample albuterol inhaler that my allergist gave me that, normally, I would only use once or twice a week during this time and rarely for the rest of the year. This year, however, I've been using it twice a day at least! I thought maybe the vaping was making things worse and was afraid that I already had the beginnings of COPD... but it turns out that the allergies combined with quitting analogs have just set me up for some serious lung irritation. I thought I had already cleared out the gunk from my smoking but my allergist says it will be at least 3 months. She gave me Advair to control the inflammation until the season passes and my lungs get cleared.

I have recently begun taking 2000iu of D3 because I have consistently been deficient in D for the past 2 years despite plenty of sunlight. I had not heard about its helpful effects on lung tissue. I may have to up my intake!

Thanks for all the great info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread