COPD, The E-Cig and Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
43 yrs ,2 pks a day. I have copd and asthma bad. Since starting vaping and quitting cigs
I have cut my asthma copd meds in half in 2 months.

I can breath and walk a lot further.
You have no idea how big the improvement has been in this short amount of time.

I actually had to walk with a cane most of the time it was so bad. The cane is now living in a closet as I dont seem to need it anymore. Still not ready to run a marathon or even a block but I have high hopes:)

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
the happy pills are for my victims. "I'm so sorry, did I piss you off? Here, have one of these!"

I can't tell you and everyone else who has responded what a relief it is to read others feeling and thinking and experiencing the same things I have.

LLL[/QUOTE]

I like you LittleLuLu. You're a good egg and you make me laugh. I wish you all the best;)

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
I am not sure if the e-cig will be a good choice for me but I am going to chronicle my experience for the next person who does a search and can’t find very many people discussing their COPD and whether or not e-cigs is a viable alternative to smoking for someone who waited way too long to quit. If it weren’t for the anonymity, I would never admit I have COPD and still “smoke,” but I just know there are a bunch of you out there.

My hubby and I heard about the e-cigarette on a conspiracy forum we frequent to be among our own kind. We have both been smoking over 40 years. Hubby is doing okay but I was diagnosed with COPD a decade ago and have been in denial ever since.

Our 901’s arrived in early November and I had trouble from the start. Every draw I took choked me. But I kept trying and I kept on with the analogs. Then I got really sick about a week into it. I mean really sick. I could NOT breathe. I went to my Dr and he sent me straight away to the ER where I could barely walk in. I was sure I had pneumonia but no. I had no infections, no virus, no fluid built up in my lungs and yet no oxygen exchanging. Finally I had to accept my diagnosis.

I was in the hospital four days and that was the easy part. When I got out I started sucking nic lozenges and I made it to 6 plus weeks. People kept saying it will get easier and easier, but that was not my experience. It got harder and harder until I was at the point where I cheated and had an analog and when I did that I was in complete despair. If I smoke I am going to die in not so many years. Except for not being able to breath, I just am otherwise too happy in my life to resign myself to such a short one.

I had to beg my hubby to let me try the e-cig again because we both thought that I must have been allergic to the juice. While rationalizing my need to smoke I recalled another thing that could have triggered the COPD exacerbation that horrible day. A cleaning product for air conditioners was heavily used on a window unit by where I sit all day. I did notice that it really bothered me to smell it but I did not connect it to my inability to breathe a few hours later.

My first session was amazing. No choking and I was satisfied in a way that a lozenge just can’t cover. I am really, really loving it.

I am 7 days into it and I am monitoring myself. I think I notice a little decrease in lung function but I just had a Dr appt and I am exchanging air at an acceptable level and better than when I left the hospital. I do notice a phlegm in my throat that I hadn’t had since quitting and a scratchiness and dry mouth that is a little annoying. I don’t think I vape as much as some members do. The battery and one cartridge, refilled as much as it will hold, lasts me all day. I charge at night and fill the cart in the morning.

So far not bad and I haven’t wanted an analog once. I am ordering VG juice to see if that changes anything for me. I really need this to work. I hope other people with COPD will chime in and give me their experience and advice. :) I know you are out there . . .

LittleLuLu

Hey lulu :)

Are you still with us? or have you gone on vacation with all the money saved by switching

Fondest.........:)

Art

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Yeah, I really didn't know about the lung stuff till I read it here. BONUS!!!

I have rickets and I take it for that.
Sorry if the 'shoes' thing upset you, didn't mean to...we have a little schitzu rescue that also has rickets, she's 8 years old now, with a lot of joint problems as well. That was caused by extreme malnourishment, so I know it's not a thing to joke about.

lonercom

ECF Veteran
Sorry if the 'shoes' thing upset you, didn't mean to...we have a little schitzu rescue that also has rickets, she's 8 years old now, with a lot of joint problems as well. That was caused by extreme malnourishment, so I know it's not a thing to joke about.

NP. I didn't even know I had it till after some regular blood tests and the doc said I had it.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
The last post on the thread I had been vaping 9 months and now its been a year. My health has continued to improve. I no longer have any problems from my COPD. I never cough and I breathe fine. I have not used any medications for COPD since I started vaping.

Ecig are certainly a life saver. No one will ever take these away from me no matter what I have to go through.

Ruchamah

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
TN
I am so relieved to find this site! I have been hanging out on ECF for a few weeks now and just found this!
I started smoking when I was 9 years old. I am 59 now. I have MAYBE 20% lung capacity. I refuse to use inhalers unless I am REALLY struggling. I have been vaping, though not seriously for about 50 days. I have been hunting for a juice that satisfies and I am still looking. I want a menthol taste and just have found nothing that comes close. I did get a recipe to make my own menthol to add to juice and I will use that if I have no success with the menthol drops from DIYFlavorShack.
Since I pretty much quit the analogs (I still fire one up a few times a day, but I cant inhale the thing: it is killing me, but I sure love to taste it!) So a pack lasts a week, I take a few puffs and put it out, without inhaling.
I think the VG has made things worse, so I am not using that at all anymore, as near sure as I can be. I was using prefilled carts, but now I have my 510 and will be getting an eGo when Cignot makes them available.
We live in wonderfully crazy times and I sure dont want to miss all the good stuff that is coming. Since I started vaping, I can breathe again, I no longer have that awful hacking cough, I can walk up my driveway or climb a flight of stairs without feeling that I might not live to make it back down.
My quality of life is hugely improved, thanks to vaping. Years ago I begged my Doc to let me use the nicotine inhalators and he refused as I had a heart attack at age 42. I told him that if he didnt give me the nic inhalers I would smoke. He said, Oh well. Now if someone SHOULD have been sued it was that guy! I knew that if I had SOME WAY to deliver the nicotine, I would have success. Finally, we have the e-cig!
Sorry, I have goine on too long already...but this site, ECF, and now finding this COPD group...well, you guys rock. Thanks for letting me share in your joys and your trials through this board.
May we all live many many years more!

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
I have MAYBE 20% lung capacity.

You have my sympathy Ruchamah. A really bad chest infection first brought my COPD to light and, until the steroids cleared it up, I must have been in the 20% region. Thinking back, I don't know how you can stand it. Have you tried low dose theophylline? 200 mg twice a day added 50 to my peak flow readings and I've added another 30 or so since by taking 5,000 iu vitamin d3 daily plus 4 mg of low dose naltrexone every night. I'd imagine my lung capacity is over the 50% mark now. Nothing that's helped was recommended by a doctor BTW. They're little more than drug pushers for large pharmaceutical companies.

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
Sorry, I have goine on too long already...but this site, ECF, and now finding this COPD group...well, you guys rock. Thanks for letting me share in your joys and your trials through this board.
May we all live many many years more! QUOTE]

Hi Ruchamah welcome to this post origins are from lulu original poster

I can only say that Ted knows what he's talking about I have all the same symtoms as you guys and have been using the vitd3 @2400IU 2 tablets a day I have only just started on them so I cant speak for them personally but I have heard good things about them I managed to get 360 X 2400 IU softgels for £10 off the auction site so 2 a day will last me 6 months

I also was getting increasing bouts of chest infection's prior to being diagnosed with COPD I still have to take what they call a rescue pack here in Uk It consists 21 capsules 500mg amoxicillin 3 per day for 7 days + 6.. 5mg prednisolone per day for 7 days,but they are only if I am in trouble and cant get to see the Quack

Vaping has made all the difference to me ....though when you said this

"Sorry, I have goine on too long already..."

I think you are not going on as its important to us to know what you feel and it is vital that anything that can help us is posted here regardless of how small and maybe trivial to some ..Is a life saver to others myslf included..

Keep taking the pills LOL

Art

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You've found the right forum section, Ruchamah. Go down to the alternatives sections and read some there, as well.

If you still want the taste of tobacco smoke, I strongly suggest you do as I did: Start puffing a pipe when your need is most critical. If you can smoke a cigarette a few times a day, it means you're in an area where smoking can be done. Some people are so restricted that they can't smoke anything for much of each day.

Like you, I smoked for 50 years. Unlike you, I do not suffer any lung consequences (my consequences were vascular). I quit cigarettes first with snus and dissolvable tobacco pellets (sometimes called hard snuff), then added a pipe, then e-smoking, and finally an infrequent nasal snuff that doesn't do much for me, but at least smells good.

I use some of these alternatives at the same time, particularly snus and my e-smoking.

If you read further in this section, you'll come to understand that e-smoking does not replicate tobacco smoking, and that "something is missing" that our liquid does not provide. Keep reading on this in the subsections below and you'll understand why you reach for those cigarettes. Help yourself by understanding that e-smoking is for habit, while other alternatives are needed to satisfy your 50-year addiction.

Good luck. Take up the pipe. You won't be sorry. On this forum, and on snuson, the wisest veterans are puffing pipes, using snus and e-smoking. Of course -- never inhale a pipe, cigar or any other source of tobacco combustion.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
My honest opinion is this. If I had COPD, or any other lung problem, I am not sure I would feel 100 percent comfortable with inhaling anything I do not have to. The people here are great, but it is your life and your lungs we are talking about.

There is not one person on this entire forum that can say E-smoking is 100 percent safe and healthy for the lungs. No one. Everyone seems to be different or react differently. I personally wouldnt even take the chance, unless there really was no other alternative. Perhaps it is best to give your lungs a complete break from ANYTHING. I would try to use snus or something to break the inhaling habit completely. Just my 2 cents

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
My honest opinion is this. If I had COPD, or any other lung problem, I am not sure I would feel 100 percent comfortable with inhaling anything I do not have to. The people here are great, but it is your life and your lungs we are talking about.

There is not one person on this entire forum that can say E-smoking is 100 percent safe and healthy for the lungs. No one. Everyone seems to be different or react differently. I personally wouldnt even take the chance, unless there really was no other alternative. Perhaps it is best to give your lungs a complete break from ANYTHING. I would try to use snus or something to break the inhaling habit completely. Just my 2 cents
You are absolutely right, Paladinx, but what we can say unequivically is the e-cig use if FAR better alternative to sucking smoke from a lit cigarette.
Doing nothing carries risk, as well, there are all kinds of hidden danger in the air we breath.
I do absolutely know that a year ago I couldn't function any more, my lung function was nearly zero! I tried heartbreaking and mindbreaking times to stop cigarettes, always went back out of a sheer sense of failure. But I wanted my nic. And I was too tired to fight any more.
Give the poster a break, do this until such time as Ruchamah can do the right things to heal, to improve, and then revaluate.
Is swallowing snus juice better....well, debatable too. Is that 100% safe. Again, whether it's snus or an e-cig, I'm here to tell Ruchamah that I would not be in any better shape now than a year ago if I hadn't done what I did. I don't know if I would still be on earth.
I've cut back on nic since then, so know stopping altogether is now doable. No more fooling myself. And not afraid any more.

Last edited:

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
I hear you Kate, Like I said if you had really no other choice, and it was either cigarettes or vaping, than yeah stick with vaping. I agree with you.

However, what I am trying to say is, sure everything is a risk. But she has a specific problem. Her problem is a lung problem. So my sincere suggestion, if possible, is perhaps try and give your lungs a break, if you can. There are some other options out there to give you nicotine that might work for you. I would rather at least TRY to get my nicotine in a way that gives my lungs the biggest break, because after all your problem is your lungs right now. with snus u dont swallow any juice, but I wouldnt say they are more or less safer than e-cigs. I have no idea. I just know that the risks of snus has nothing to do with lung function, so with someone with a specific lung problem, i believe its worth a try. If you do not like it, than you can always go back to e smoking, or even use snus to cut your esmoking down.

just trying to give sincere advice is all.

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I know you are sincere and mean no harm at all, but please remember that EVERYONE KNOWS what would be best to do. No news there. You are a lovely person and I hope you never, ever have to find out if you'd take your own advise, or feel the way it feels to be advised to do something obvious that you'd told yourself you should do over and over again and would have done if you could.

I hear you Kate, Like I said if you had really no other choice, and it was either cigarettes or vaping, than yeah stick with vaping. I agree with you.

However, what I am trying to say is, sure everything is a risk. But she has a specific problem. Her problem is a lung problem. So my sincere suggestion, if possible, is perhaps try and give your lungs a break, if you can. There are some other options out there to give you nicotine that might work for you. I would rather at least TRY to get my nicotine in a way that gives my lungs the biggest break, because after all your problem is your lungs right now. with snus u dont swallow any juice, but I wouldnt say they are more or less safer than e-cigs. I have no idea. I just know that the risks of snus has nothing to do with lung function, so with someone with a specific lung problem, i believe its worth a try. If you do not like it, than you can always go back to e smoking, or even use snus to cut your esmoking down.

just trying to give sincere advice is all.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Granted that, Paladinx, you've been a very well spoken advocate of do no harm. That's the whole point of the Forum.
All I'm saying is that my lung function has improved beyond my own belief, also very quickly, and that the theory is working for me so far that I've come. In the last 12 years I had double pneumonia 4 times. So a person with decreased lung function is fragile and duly noted. In the past year I haven't had so much as a common cold. And I'm an aging person, no second chances are due me.

Last edited:

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Thats great kate, Testimonies like yours really does this forum a big service. There are a lot of unknowns I guess, and the best way of finding things out are people like you who post their personal experience and success. If your lung function is getting better while vaping and dealing with a lung problem, well I guess that is very good news for all of us.

I dont want to come off as preaching to do nothing or quitting cold turkey. I just was not sure if she has ever heard of snus before. It could be a good option for her. I am just recommending her try it is all. If it works well for her and she can reduce her vaping than that might not be so bad. Everyone might be different too, or react differently to different things. I am merely suggesting to give snus or other forms of nicotine delivery a try. Nothing more. You might not like it, u might love it, or it might be just another tool to use to quit smoking for good along with e-cigs. Just explore your options.

either way, yeah.. I think I agree with whatever keeps you off cigarettes is a good idea whether it is vaping or snus.. or both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread