Coppervape BF Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff M.

May 7, 2015
Quick question:

Whenever I screw down a new atty, or even just adjusting the airflow on some RDAs, the 510 wants to screw further down into the mod. This, in turn, shortens the throw of the switch, sometimes to the point of autofiring. For fixing a threaded piece in place I would normally use medium (blue) Loctite or similar thread locker. The only electrically conductive thread lockers I can seem to find are of the "permanent" variety (ie must heat the parts to 350 degr F to break the bond). I don't want to have to go through all that just to clean the CV every once in a while. Is there a product that will act like a medium thread locker for this purpose? Any other options to keep the 510 from rotating?

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Quick question:

Whenever I screw down a new atty, or even just adjusting the airflow on some RDAs, the 510 wants to screw further down into the mod. This, in turn, shortens the throw of the switch, sometimes to the point of autofiring. For fixing a threaded piece in place I would normally use medium (blue) Loctite or similar thread locker. The only electrically conductive thread lockers I can seem to find are of the "permanent" variety (ie must heat the parts to 350 degr F to break the bond). I don't want to have to go through all that just to clean the CV every once in a while. Is there a product that will act like a medium thread locker for this purpose? Any other options to keep the 510 from rotating?
    It shouldn't be moving.
    Use a flat screwdriver to hold the 510 pin and turn the bottle "cap" to tighten.
    Be careful not to overtighten, the pin is made of plated brass.
    Locktite shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Quick question:

Do you mean that the Entire 510 Connector is Turning? Or is it just the 510 Pin inside the 510 Connector?

Because if it is Just the 510 Pin, do what puffon said above.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Simple Switch Modification

I don't know about you, but when I get firing inconsistencies more often than not the problem is in the switch, specifically the electrical connection between the spring and the contact screw. Too tight or too loose can both mess with firing consistency. The switch design relies on the o-ring to keep constant contact between the spring and screw while allowing the button to be turned for locking purposes. Not an ideal design for consistent firing.

Yesterday I took a page out of Custom Classic's book and freed the contact point from the button assembly. First I used the existing screw to fix the insulator to the button so it acts as a retaining ring. Second I made a thin brass contact disk and soldered it to the end of the spring. Third I insulated the middle of the spring in case it shifts out of position. As long as your bottle cap stays tight on the center pin it won't.

Much improved firing consistency now and goodbye to fiddling with the switch. Haven't tried this with a stock button yet--been using a clear one I made--but the principle applies.

IMAG2868_picmonkeyed.jpg
    IMAG2880_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean that the Entire 510 Connector is Turning? Or is it just the 510 Pin inside the 510 Connector?

My question too. I thought he meant the connector, but not sure.

Jeff M.

May 7, 2015
    It shouldn't be moving.
    Use a flat screwdriver to hold the 510 pin and turn the bottle "cap" to tighten.
    Be careful not to overtighten, the pin is made of plated brass.
    Locktite shouldn't be necessary.

I do this already to keep the positive/BF pin from moving while installing the bottle. That isn't the issue.

The entire 510 connector. It is threaded into the top of the mod. The underside has two holes, probably meant for a spanner of some sort. You can use anything pointed, like a dental pick or awl, to spin the 510 up or down.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

The entire 510 connector. It is threaded into the top of the mod. The underside has two holes, probably meant for a spanner of some sort. You can use anything pointed, like a dental pick or awl, to spin the 510 up or down.

Gotcha.

I have never gotten mine to Turn. So I'm not sure what is the Best to Do?

Maybe someone who has can chime in.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Simple Switch Modification

I don't know about you, but when I get firing inconsistencies more often than not the problem is in the switch, specifically the electrical connection between the spring and the contact screw. Too tight or too loose can both mess with firing consistency. The switch design relies on the o-ring to keep constant contact between the spring and screw while allowing the button to be turned for locking purposes. Not an ideal design for consistent firing.

Yesterday I took a page out of Custom Classic's book and freed the contact point from the button assembly. First I used the existing screw to fix the insulator to the button so it acts as a retaining ring. Second I made a thin brass contact disk and soldered it to the end of the spring. Third I insulated the middle of the spring in case it shifts out of position. As long as your bottle cap stays tight on the center pin it won't.

Much improved firing consistency now and goodbye to fiddling with the switch. Haven't tried this with a stock button yet--been using a clear one I made--but the principle applies.

View attachment 669875 View attachment 669877
    That's a pretty cool idea.Any pics of the button you made?I've been thinking of trying to make a new better looking button,but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles

I'd try torquing it hard in the full up position. If it still backs out when tightening an atty, re-tighten adding a drop of epoxy at the shoulder. That might be enough.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    That's a pretty cool idea.Any pics of the button you made?I've been thinking of trying to make a new better looking button,but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

No locking feature, so I'll be removing the ON/OFF.

IMAG2883_picmonkeyed.jpg
    IMAG2889_picmonkeyed.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

benley73

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 2, 2016
    When FDV started to have shipping Problems, someone asked where they can get Stainless Steel M3 BF Pins?

I just saw this while poking around FT...

$7.81 YFTK Replacement Bottom Feeder Pin for Speed Revolution RDA (5-Pack) 5-pack - 316 stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Good length on them too , usually there 10mm max 12mm , these are 13mm , i have 9 x at 18mm from states from Amazon used 1 of them .
    for a rda i needed a longer pin for , think it was Velocity rdta with small glass tank under it ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Good length on them too , usually there 10mm max 12mm , these are 13mm , i have 9 x at 18mm from states from Amazon used 1 of them .
    for a rda i needed a longer pin for , think it was Velocity rdta with small glass tank under it ,

Yeah... Much easier to make a BF Pink Shorter. Then it is to make it Longer.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks , been 7mths now and still no definite diagnosis for her , Aplastic anemia MDS , and possibly leading to lukemiea , ? , Bone marrow transplant might not even work yet ,? They holding off for a little longer see if can diagnose it to treat it properly ,

I'm so sorry :(

Reactions: zoiDman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread