cord prob w/ passthru variable volt..need2fix save $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

senorita vicki

Mar 11, 2012
flagstaff
Hi I looked through quite a few threads before posting, but could not find anything about my issue. So I have 2 V.V. Passtrough's by Piper I love them so, especially driving, saves my e-power battery for when im out walking. They both work great when they worked. the sistuation is that I still have the light coming on but have to hold the cord a certain way where its connected to the device at the bottom. Can this be fixed by taking apart or something. I cannot afford to keep buying them and my warranty is past the 30 days. Also I looked on Utube to see if someone had something to help me, but did'nt come up with anything. like I said it works but the cord has to be held very still in a certain position.. Thanks for any replies..Vicki Variable Volt passthru by Piper

brupow

Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
SE New Mexico
I've been using the Piper VV passthru's for a little over 8 months now and have encountered the same problem...especially when I use them in the vehicles. I did not delve into the repair of the inner workings. What I did is very low tech, but it has worked...simply loop the wire that enters the pass-thru rather tightly (without kinking it) and duct tape it to the lower handle securely...not especially attractive but it has worked very, very well. I've not had to replace any more (3 prior).

Dracconus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2012
www.facebook.com
Hi I looked through quite a few threads before posting, but could not find anything about my issue. So I have 2 V.V. Passtrough's by Piper I love them so, especially driving, saves my e-power battery for when im out walking. They both work great when they worked. the sistuation is that I still have the light coming on but have to hold the cord a certain way where its connected to the device at the bottom. Can this be fixed by taking apart or something. I cannot afford to keep buying them and my warranty is past the 30 days. Also I looked on Utube to see if someone had something to help me, but did'nt come up with anything. like I said it works but the cord has to be held very still in a certain position.. Thanks for any replies..Vicki Variable Volt passthru by Piper

I haven't had this issue with my Ego passthrough upgrade, but I HAVE had issues like this with USB devices in general.
To be fairly honest, due to the nature of these devices, and the fact that their connection is (from what I can tell) always closed, even when off (how else do they know you clicked five times) you have to be EXTREMELY gentle doing this, but I'll tell you what's worked for me on many MANY different devices from phones to printers.

On the USB connection in the passthrough, you'll notice there's an "outer shell" that makes a "female connection" for the cords "male."
Take a sharp, thin knife (fillet is too wobbly, you need something more secure, like a thin steak knife, or a paring knife.
On the Bottom, or Top, there will be a part where the Female piece is bent, and locked to become a "whole." These are manufactured flat 99% of the time, and bent into shape, then have interlocking pieces that make them the shape they're supposed to be, and hold them until they're in their base.

If you don't see them, proceed to the next step anyways, sometimes (rarely) they're etched as a solid piece.

On the top, or bottom, preferably both. Take the tip of the knife, or flat, hard object, and SLIGHTLY bend the middle of the female connector in. You want to bend it LITERALLY by hair widths. Too much pressure, and you run the risk of closing the connection with it's ground, and shorting your ecig (this will be harder than you think to do though, but don't get cocky.)
If you do it on one side there's a chance it may still be too loose. I say do this on both the top and bottom, and gradually increase until it feels as if the male is "snapping" into place in the female, or has a good amount of resistance.
This should...SHOULD fix that issue.
If not, then there is a short somewhere in the cord, and depending on where it's at you can simply perform a ".... splice" to re-join the short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread