Dismiss Notice
Happy Thanksgiving, Guest! If you're not too full after all that turkey, check out our latest ECF giveaway, courtesy of Smok :)

Cotton Ball Prep

Discussion in 'Ask The Veterans' started by downsm2, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. downsm2

downsm2 Full Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Trenton, NC
    OK, been thinking of switching to cotton balls for my wicks. I have the organic cotton, but was wanting some info on proper prep and such for making them into a wick. Can any one point me towards some info or provide? Thanks.
  2. DavidOck

DavidOck Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 3, 2013
    Eatonville WA
    Some wash, boil or otherwise clean it. I don't bother, but use sterile cotton from the pharmacy.

Just tease some out, roll it between your fingers to make your wick. Not too tight - you should be able to move it without much resistance inside the coil. Not too loose, either. Finding the "happy place" may take a couple tries. Too tight and when it gets wet and swells it can choke off the flow. Too loose and it won't wick fast enough.

Twirl one end tightly to thread the coil. Easier if you moisten it. You'll be clipping off the excess anyway.
  3. steved5600

steved5600 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    For organic unbleached you don't need to boil it. All you have to do is take it and roll it between your fingers until it looks like a mini Funny cigarette and pull it through your coils. You can also use organic unbleached cotton yarn. NOT WOOL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.