Coughing brown stuff but never smoked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harris3232

Jul 24, 2017
I started vaping 2 months ago, never smoked cigarettes...i got into nicotine through hookah and some vaporizers, and i just recently started to notice that i start coughing/spitting brown stuff. Sometimes it has a brown chunk in it. I've read alot of posts and most have this problem but they quited smoking. I really dont knoe what is this brown stuff and im starting to think its vaping what causes it. I also want to mention that i have a family member in my house which is a heavy smoker. So i dont know if he/she causes me any health problems. I also want to mention that im using a 50%(VG)/50%(PG), with 11mg nicotine.

Reactions: AXIOM_1

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I started vaping 2 months ago, never smoked cigarettes...i got into nicotine through hookah and some vaporizers, and i just recently started to notice that i start coughing/spitting brown stuff. Sometimes it has a brown chunk in it. I've read alot of posts and most have this problem but they quited smoking. I really dont knoe what is this brown stuff and im starting to think its vaping what causes it. I also want to mention that i have a family member in my house which is a heavy smoker. So i dont know if he/she causes me any health problems. I also want to mention that im using a 50%(VG)/50%(PG), with 11mg nicotine.

Brownish colored phlegm is caused from oils, resins, and tar deposited in the lungs usually associated with long time smokers. I can't imagine that you could receive enough second hand smoke to acquire such a resin buildup in the lungs..... I will bump this question to someone else who may have experienced the same thing.

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Not saying it is that causes it for you. But that is one of the symptoms of a lung infection such as Pneumonia. As said above best to discuss with a doctor

Not exactly.......... Lung infections usually present themselves with varying colored phlegm but it is not brown...... Physicians ask the patient what the color of the phlegm looks like in order to help them determine what TYPE/SEVERITY of infection they are dealing with......... Yellowish phlegm indicates one thing while Green colored phlegm indicates a different degree/type of infection, while whitish phlegm signals other problems....

Phlegm being coughed up from the lungs is simply the immune system trying to rid the lungs of some type of foreign agent, whether it be infection or something placed into the lungs (such as tar and resin).

Reactions: Izan

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Not exactly.......... Lung infections usually present themselves with varying colored phlegm but it is not brown...... Physicians ask the patient what the color of the phlegm looks like in order to help them determine what TYPE/SEVERITY of infection they are dealing with......... Yellowish phlegm indicates one thing while Green colored phlegm indicates a different degree/type of infection, while whitish phlegm signals other problems....

Phlegm being coughed up from the lungs is simply the immune system trying to rid the lungs of some type of foreign agent, whether it be infection or something placed into the lungs (such as tar and resin).

What do colors of Phlegm mean
    Yellow, Brown, Green, and More: What Does the Color of My Phlegm Mean?

Brown - bronchitis - cystic fibrosis - lung abscess - pneumonia
    Green or Yellow - bronchitis - cystic fibrosis - pneumonia - sinusitis

Couple of other colors listed there. Smoking listed as black

So it could be an infection or not. It could be from smoking a hooka

Still best to ask a Doctor

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    What do colors of Phlegm mean
    Yellow, Brown, Green, and More: What Does the Color of My Phlegm Mean?

Brown - bronchitis - cystic fibrosis - lung abscess - pneumonia
    Green or Yellow - bronchitis - cystic fibrosis - pneumonia - sinusitis

Couple of other colors listed there. Smoking listed as black

So it could be an infection or not. It could be from smoking a hooka

Still best to ask a Doctor

If the OP was smoking said Hookah with tobacco and depending upon how long the OP smoked the Hookah, then there is a very good chance it is from tobacco....... Most people upon quitting smoking cough up brown phlegm for awhile because their lungs are starting to try to repair themselves and their body is trying to expel all of the toxic junk out of their lungs. I coughed up large amounts of brownish-black phlegm when I quit smoking and most people do who smoked as long as I did.

As far as fungal agents or other infections, there is usually other accompanying symptoms that go along with the expulsion of phlegm......... Lung infections are serious business and most folks are quite ill .........

If I was the OP and I didn't feel any other symptoms then I would not worry about it too much.... On the other hand, I would go see a physician if I didn't feel well and had other symptoms along with it.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I've been vaping for almost 5 years and never coughed up any brown stuff. Go see the doc.

yeah I never have from vaping either, nor have I heard of any others (yet) who vape coughing up brown phlegm simply from vaping..... Smoking tobacco on the other hand, is an entirely different ball game as brownish phlegm is quite common. We have to wait for the OP to explain more as to how he feels and whether or not he was doing tobacco in the Hookah.

Harris3232

Jul 24, 2017
    yeah I never have from vaping either, nor have I heard of any others (yet) who vape coughing up brown phlegm simply from vaping..... Smoking tobacco on the other hand, is an entirely different ball game as brownish phlegm is quite common. We have to wait for the OP to explain more as to how he feels and whether or not he was doing tobacco in the Hookah.
    I go to hookah every 1-3 days, its quite often.

Reactions: AXIOM_1

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    If you only smoked tobacco once then this is not the culprit............. This fact changes things a bit..... Try switching to a different flavored e juice............ The color could be affecting what phlegm comes out of your lungs........ If you rule the flavorings out, then indeed it is time to see a physician to see if you have a fungal infestation or something else going on.

Harris3232

Jul 24, 2017
    If you only smoked tobacco once then this is not the culprit............. This fact changes things a bit..... Try switching to a different flavored e juice............ The color could be affecting what phlegm comes out of your lungs........ If you rule the flavorings out, then indeed it is time to see a physician to see if you have a fungal infestation or something else going on.
    I have to also add on that this doesent happend when i dont vape. I dont think its a disease because recently i got xrayed and i was all clear. I may think this is the e juice because it was pretty cheap.

Harris3232

Jul 24, 2017
    Nicotine is highly unlikely to cause brown phlegm since nicotine is clear colored..... Vaping flavors would be more suspicious than nicotine.............. Have you been sick or have you felt fine lately?
    No i never felt sick, i realized its the flavou. I used blueberry RPG, and now i switched to PG and its better. Dont know why did the e juice affect phlegm color.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread