Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Saw that Cthulhu has released a mesh build RDA – basically the Taifun BT without a tank. It comes with a squonk pin that sits inside the mass of cotton with multiple feed holes. Looks interesting, and reasonably priced ($34 if ordered directly from Cthulhu).

I’m really interested in trying out mesh builds – have a Taifun BT clone on order from FT which should be arriving in about a week or so. Based on how that performs, might have to give this a shot as well. However, given how fast mesh builds chew through juice, not sure if the squonk pin can deliver juice efficiently.

The video shows a build as a dripper without the squonk pin attached (the annoying music stops after a few minutes into the video). The squonk pin looks like this:
sss.JPG

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Saw that Cthulhu has released a mesh build RDA – basically the Taifun BT without a tank. It comes with a squonk pin that sits inside the mass of cotton with multiple feed holes. Looks interesting, and reasonably priced ($34 if ordered directly from Cthulhu).

I’m really interested in trying out mesh builds – have a Taifun BT clone on order from FT which should be arriving in about a week or so. Based on how that performs, might have to give this a shot as well. However, given how fast mesh builds chew through juice, not sure if the squonk pin can deliver juice efficiently.

The video shows a build as a dripper without the squonk pin attached (the annoying music stops after a few minutes into the video). The squonk pin looks like this:
View attachment 667725

Gonna have to try this one. Thanks.

@TheWestPole

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tag, Shawn. The video shows quick even heating of the mesh. What do you think, better clamping design or jump cut in the editing?

Reactions: hazozita

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Gonna have to try this one. Thanks.

Thanks for the tag, Shawn. The video shows quick even heating of the mesh. What do you think, better clamping design or jump cut in the editing?
Neither. If you look close, there are some uneven spots after the first burn or two. That said, I do think this design is more versatile... I'm picturing chunky verticals...

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Saw on reddit that Cthulhu is having a 20% off sale starting tomorrow (6/30) with code CM20. That brings the silver one to $27.20, plus whatever shipping is. Going to be hard to fight off getting one although I would like to see some reviews of it first.

CETO RDA

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Saw on reddit that Cthulhu is having a 20% off sale starting tomorrow (6/30) with code CM20. That brings the silver one to $27.20, plus whatever shipping is. Going to be hard to fight off getting one although I would like to see some reviews of it first.

CETO RDA
...! Already bought and paid for... sigh...

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
:2c: FYI, I experimented with SS mesh for the heating element a couple of years ago. I don't know if they are using SS mesh, but I stopped my experiments due to the possibility of creating hexavalent chromium (Cr (VI)). A loose mesh wire can create a hot spot with a high enough temp.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Got my SXK clone of the Taifun BT in today and have had my first experience with a mesh build. Absolutely fantastic. Using the mesh it came with (which I believe is 300) at 0.35 ohms. The range is incredible – I can run it as low as 50 watts for a mild, cool but still saturated vape; 70-85 watts for a nice warm vape; 120+ watts for a totally rowdy but not burnt vape.

Still have much to learn about mesh “coils” and need a lot more experimentation, but have ordered the Cthulhu. No brainer. Finally – a use for all the SS mesh in my abandoned vape gear boxes from genny days.

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Got my SXK clone of the Taifun BT in today and have had my first experience with a mesh build. Absolutely fantastic. Using the mesh it came with (which I believe is 300) at 0.35 ohms. The range is incredible – I can run it as low as 50 watts for a mild, cool but still saturated vape; 70-85 watts for a nice warm vape; 120+ watts for a totally rowdy but not burnt vape.

Still have much to learn about mesh “coils” and need a lot more experimentation, but have ordered the Cthulhu. No brainer. Finally – a use for all the SS mesh in my abandoned vape gear boxes from genny days.

Sounds great. How wide did you cut the mesh to get .35 ohm? Cthulhu is on its way to me too.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
First "review" -- not a fan of this reviewer, but it does show more details than the Cthuhu video. Based on my experiences with the Taifun BT, I'll bet the harshness reported by the reviewer is due to hot spots near the posts. You really have to pack the cotton in carefully to avoid that.

Should have mine in hand on Thurs or Fri of this week.

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
First Build

Using the included mesh (supposedly 300# SS 304) an 8.5 mm strip ~16 mm dia. yielded .27 ohm. For me it's a bit too slow to ramp on a mech with 30A battery, but on a regulated mod 4.5 V and up gets it going quickly enough. It's a very big warm vape at that point, great flavor, very smooth, no spitting. Next I'll be trying a smaller diameter, thinner strip of mesh, etc. to see if I can get the build more mech friendly.

The BF pin works wonderfully, easily and quickly saturating the wick (rayon in this build). And if you burrow a hole down to the top of the pin you get a fountain effect when sqonking which is easy to see through the DT and thus easy to control.

So far so good. :)

IMAG2894_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG2891_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Good info, @TheWestPole. I got my Ceto in today as well, and thought I'd add my 2-cents after a day of playing with it:

Build quality is very nice with the exception of the o-rings. Way too tight even lubed up. I didn’t want to spend the time trying to find thinner ones, so I just removed one o-ring from the AFC and one from the base. No leaking so far and it’s much easier to adjust airflow and pop the cap off.

Keeping the mesh tight and even is critical. Since I’m arthritic (not that I was all that great with detail work when my hands were good) I use a spacer. I insert the mesh strip into one post, pull it tight against the spacer, feed the strip through the second pole, tighten down the screws and closely trim the excess. The spacer ensures the mesh remains crimp and dent-free. Any round item with a smooth surface can be used as a spacer. I’m using an old Kanger head which is 11mm in diameter.

Pack the wick so there’s full, tight contact all around the mesh, especially where it connects to the posts. Loose wick = hot spots = very harsh vape. After it’s juiced up, fire it in dim light to see if there are any hot spots and adjust the wick accordingly. Hot spots most commonly occur near the posts.

Prime, prime, prime. When you think it’s fully primed, add more juice.

One design element that is lacking is a registration pin or tab to ensure the top cap is properly positioned with the airflow centered on the mesh.

Using the mesh it came with (304SS) my build came to 0.2 ohms. I started at 50w. Had to check the mod to make sure it was firing since the vape was so weak. Got workable at 70w. Nice at 85w. Rowdy but still enjoyable at 100w. Too hot for me at 130 but not burnt.

Get ready to use up some juice. Juice vendors should give these out for free with orders much like a bartender putting out bowls of salty nuts. You can drip right on the top of the cotton wad, but it’s a lot faster to pull the cap and hose it down from the top and all around the mesh. Pulling the cap also allows you to fill up the juice well, which is pretty deep.

No spit back even at high wattages. The top does get hot if you chain vape making it uncomfortable to use the short tip it comes with. I prefer using the 510 adapter and a longer tip.

I was surprised that even with the clouds, there is a decent amount of flavor. In fact, I’m getting more and better flavor from this than I am with the Taifun BT. This is definitely more of a cloud maker than a flavor atty, but the flavor is there.

Have not used the squonk pin yet so I can’t speak to how well that works. I wanted to get a few builds in before introducing another variable to the mix. Also want to try out some other mesh that I have to see how that works.

Some pics below. All are out of focus (sorry! Camera is being a pain in the rump today). First shows the mesh pulled against the spacer. The second shows it wicked. Third is the assembled atty.
CE1.jpg
CE2.jpg
CE3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread