CUBOID "PreHeat" Option Firmware Update 9/2/2016 v5.04 & 5.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
In answering questions for another, I just realized that JoyTech has released yet additional set of firmware updates for the CUBOID today 9/2/2016.
Link to previous thread: Pre-Heat & Mod Auto-Change Wattage for Settings of Previous Fired Tanks, etc.

For some reason it appears they have jumped from v3.xx to v5.xx numeric sequencing (not sure if this is oversight to be changed later or ...?). Regardless, I am pleased to see they are still providing updates AND allowing users to still download and update to previous firmware version :)

This new update includes Coil PreHeat functionality, which I find interesting and useful. Initially, my assumption is this is for bigger builds (lot of wire mass, which typically has longer ramp-up times). Also, assume this to be primarily for TC builds (Temp Control) but hoped would also work in VW Mode (Variable Wattage) or Power Mode.

I just tested, and to my surprise it works pretty easily in VW Mode.

Here is a video-short I just shot illustrating the feature in action, in VW Mode.

To get into the PreHeat Mode is a little different than current description on their site (you need to access through the Logo Mode (Power/+, then +). They say this, but do not reference that the Logo Mode is in the path of how to enter PreHeat Mode. This could be confusing for users coming directly from firmware versions that pre-date the Logo Mode.

Once you are familiar with updating the Cuboid, it's only about a 15-second process to update/change firmware's on this device. Easy to go back to a previous firmware, etc. JoyTech has done a nice job for their users here.

The GUI (Graphical User Interface) has also changed (the way the display is laid out). I for one say the display text is now TOO Freaking Small to read easily, and hope they will have update to embed this new PreHeat Feature into the original GUI format (which I really like as it's very easy to read, and laid out pretty well).

There is a comprehensive chart, "Firmware Update Logs for CUBOID", about half way down the page in this link that illustrates features of the various firmware upgrades available for the Cuboid:
Cuboid - Joyetech
Additional Firmware info & download links here:
Software download - Joyetech

I would be curious to hear others experiences with these newly added features.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Actually I'd assume that this is for WATTAGE mode as preheat is fairly to completely worthless in TC mode.

In TC mode one sets the wattage so the build gets up to temperature within a reasonable amount of time and the TC takes care of the rest.

Or if your like PB, you just set the maximum wattage and the temperature you desire and vape on.

Spey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2016
    They put out a new version with the old interface and preheat on the 8th
    ShishkaBerry,
    I just visited the website (Sept 11) and see no new firmware updates newer than v5.04 (150w version) & v5.14 (200w version) that were the subject of the OP back on Sept 2.

I wonder if there was a redaction by iJoy, or a mistake in the reference above ^^ related to another firmware update (Sept 8th)?

I would like to see an option using the original interface, as v5.14 was too hard to read in my mind.

Regards,

hazozita

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2013
    Virginia
    @Spey -- you want version 3.14 (200w) or 3.04 (150w). It provides pre-heat but with the old user interface.

I've installed it and it's so much better having the old interface back -- really could not stand the circle layout even though pre-heat was a great new feature.

Confusing as to why Joyetech is calling is 3.14/3.04. I would think 5.XX would have been a clearer naming method.

Spey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2016
    I think preheat is an excellent feature (when implemented well). See below references to Koopor 200 Preheat Comparative (for what I believe to be a simpler/better firmware application).

iJoy Cuboid firmware v5.04 & v5.14 (150 & 200w versions) is what I believe to be inherently poor application method respective the preheat option.

Example #1 v5.14 preheat: you set vaping wattage at 70w and ramp-up on a pair of fused-claptons is too long, so I set preheat to 84w for 1-second and the vape is stellar (preheat +20% over wattage preset). Now, for example, I want to drop down to 50w to pick up more fruit notes in my juice and want to keep a +20% preheat. I need to scroll thru menus to find preheat settings and change them (when I get there I need to member my new wattage preset and calculate the offset amount (20% in this case) I want to use for the coil build (60w x 20% = 72w). Ok, so now I change the previous preheat setting from 84w to ... oh ya 72w almost forgot :-/ Effectively a lot of menus navigation, remembering wattage presets, offset percentages & calculations ... ARG ... lot's of effort to fine tune a vape experience.

Example #2
    Koopor 200 Preheat Comparative:
    Koopor uses wattage preset +/- presets (Soft, Normal, Hard, Max). Soft = less than preset, Normal = preset, Hard & Max greater than preset).
    As above, using same Atty/tank and coils and temp preferences vape begins at 70w, then press fire-button and down-button to change ramp-up from Normal to Hard (effectively preheating the coils). Perhaps I need a bit more preheat, again press fire-button and down-button to change ramp-up from Hard to Max. Now I want to step-down to increase those fruit flavors (same example as #1 above). Simply change the wattage preset to 50w, the ramp-up (preheat) is still on Hard. In general a build that needs preheat is gonna need preheat at all wattages.

At any time I want to change preheat amount, I simply two-key (fire + down button) and scroll Soft, Normal, Hard, Max and fine tune the vape with the preset wattage adjustment (one single two-button press from main screen scrolls to ramp-up options). Simple and Effective.

In the two examples above (Cuboid v Koopor 200) the vape experience range was accomplished on the Koopor with three button change presses. On the Cuboid each requires three to enter menu, multiple more to scroll and select changes ...

A lot more wordy than how simple and direct it is to make these preheat setting changes on my Koopor 200. I think iJoy needs to greatly simplify their usability of a PreHeat option.

Kudos to iJoy for continuing to offer new firmwares for the Cuboid, especially the fact that they make easily available ALL previous firmwares for their user base to select what they want ;-)

Regards,

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2013
    Virginia
    While I like the pre-heat on Smok products with regard to simplicity of use, I'd like to see Joyetech use the same approach Hugo Vapor uses on the Hugo 133. You set an offset of "X" watts and a duration, and it adds (or subtracts, if that option is selected) that offset to whatever your base wattage is. Quick, simple and more flexible than Smok's approach.

Unfortunately, while the Hugo 133 pre-heat functionality is great, the Hugo company is horrible to deal with, so I can't recommend their mods.

Spey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2016
    @Spey -- you want version 3.14 (200w) or 3.04 (150w). It provides pre-heat but with the old user interface.

I've installed it and it's so much better having the old interface back -- really could not stand the circle layout even though pre-heat was a great new feature.

Confusing as to why Joyetech is calling is 3.14/3.04. I would think 5.XX would have been a clearer naming method.
    hazozita,

Thanks, I must have totally skipped over the 3.xx assuming it would follow the 5.xx numeric of that last preheat update (5.04 & 5.14). I do remember seeing 3.14 (assumed that was Flappy Birds v3.13). Will be installing v3.14 shortly ;-)

Your post illustrates I was not the only person that had issues with the circles interface. Thanks again for commenting.

How are you using preheat on Cuboid, and do you like the function?

I understand what you are saying about Hugo functionality (preset preheat above and possibly below wattage setting). I used to think I'd want percentage values above/below wattage setting for preheating. I used to think I wanted greater preheat options, but have found that one under and two over to be enough AND very simple/quick to change (Soft, Normal, Hard, Max Koopor 200w).

Can you explain how many steps required to adjust preheat on Hugo (button presses, menu accesses, etc.)?

If I understand your comments related to Hugo, it would seem fairly straight forward for iJoy to implement. Keep the existing preheat functionality, and simply change the preheat wattage for a percentage value (+/- % of vape wattage setting, or plus/minus watts offset). Leave preheat timer as is, right below offset-value (same menu screen).

This was actually my first thought after loading v5.14 and trying the first time back on Sept 2nd. I still however would like a simple direct access. Perhaps Fire-Button plus Right-Button into Preheat Offset (percentage or watts) and time.

I don't like the logo access, or game mode (logo effectively replaces real estate in main screen and could be a little deeper into menu system), making room for something more significant like preheat ... Logo options are kinda cool/fun, but I like to see wattage and/or temp with quick glance.

Regards,

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2013
    Virginia
    I like the pre-heat on the Cuboid (and related Joyetech mods, such as the eVic) better than the “profile” approach that Aspire uses on the NX, and Vision uses on the DIY80. Having to map out a full profile for firing is just too time consuming. I also prefer Joyetech’s approach to that of Smok/Koopor, since the pre-heat on those is not long enough to be of value for my needs, even when “max” is selected.

On the Hugo 133 you access pre-heat by pressing the fire button twice when in wattage mode. That brings up the wattage offset, which can be changed from negative 30 watts to positive 30 watts (in 1 watt increments) using the up/down buttons. Once set, another fire button click allows you to set the duration from 0.1 seconds to 9.9 seconds (in 0.1 second increments). Double click the fire button to exit.

You can set up two different pre-heat profiles, which are stored as M1 and M2. When you’re in wattage mode, “M1" or “M2" is displayed on the screen to give you a visual reminder that you’re in pre-heat mode. The combination of using an offset (rather than a discrete value), flexibility in both wattage and duration, and the visual cue on the main menu are all pluses for me.

Spey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2016
    Thanks, I like your described functionality for the Hugo. Usually however when I see/think M1, M2 it's related to user TCR settings. Does the Hugo have user programmable (and saveable) TCR settings, and if so ..., how is this dealt with (I am assuming the "heat profiles" are only accessible in wattage mode)? Also, kinda assuming the Hugo does not have Wattage Memory Presets (Koopor 200, iPv4, etc., as that might confuse pre-heat profiles in wattage-mode)?

EDIT:
    Took a quick check on spec's on that Hugo 133, noticed a couple interesting things that I thought I might ask you about. I like the displays firing amp on display.
    1) Do you know what is the amp limit on the mod, and/or any comments about firing low ohm coils 0.14 - 0.08 with a fair mass of wire?
    2) How the bypass mode functions (what gets bypassed)?

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2013
    Virginia
    Sorry, don’t have answers for all your questions. What I can answer:

TCR – it’s much like the system Smok uses. Rather than go to a memory slot, the TCR adjustment is tied to the wire type. For example, while in Ni mode, you press the fire and up button, which brings up the TCR value for Ni. You can adjust that as desired, then double click the fire button to exit. It retains the adjusted TCR setting until changed.

Wattage in TC -- you can adjust the wattage in TC mode, but there are not wattage mode presets.

Bypass – it works like the bypass mode with pretty much any other mod that has it. Basically, it dumps the battery voltage as-is to the atty. Although I use mech mods, I have never found bypass to be a useful feature in a regulated mod.

Spey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2016
    I have been running v3.14 since last Sunday and liking it.

The change back to the original UI is much easier for me to see and use. The pre-heat function is doing it's job pretty well.

I really wish, however, that it was not buried under the Logo Menu. It's a bit too time-consuming to get into the Pre-heat Menu and then back out (requires push/hold/wait too many times).

A side benefit of the pre-heat function can be accomplished with multi-pressing the fire button. Example: (45w vape power with 70w pre-heat at 0.5-sec) For a cold coil just press the fire-button a couple times sequentially to get the coil heated initially, then single press fire-button for followup hits. Or just release/press the fire button at any time while hitting the atty to get a little turbo-boost above the firing wattage ;-)

hazozita,
    Thanks for your replies. Appreciate your taking the time to answer Q's not really related to the OP :)

Spey

ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2016
    I wish they had a update with the old display and the ability to increase and decrease the wattage, in TC. The new display sucks. The only reason i upgraded was for the increase and decrease option. Lucky this not my goto mod. It stays at home. It gives my Pico a chance to rest. LOL

There is a way to adjust wattage in TC (Temp Control) with the old display in a number of the update firmwares.

I am still running v3.14 because I prefer the old display; and it allows adjustment of wattage in TC. Additionally, it allows up/down adjustment of wattage without requiring round-robin (one-way adjustment). Some of the previous firmware only allowed one-way wattage adjustment in TC.

Illustrative of this feature is photo below running in TEMP SS316 first vape 400F/100W second vape 400F/90W (I stepped down from 100W to 90W without needing to round-robin, or change anything else in TC). If I am not mistaken this effectively steps down (or up) the max wattage applied to the coil(s). So, in a way adjusts the ramp up to temp set for TC. Somewhat a fine tuning of TC functionality.

How To (running v3.14, other firmware may be different):
    1. Triple-tap the Power-Button (to get into TEMP adjustment mode).
    2. Left-Button to Scroll to Wattage.
    3. Right-Button to Enter Wattage Adjustment and Adjust Wattage Up.
    4. Left-Button to Adjust Wattage Down.
    5. Fire to Vape (and lock in settings)

Above is also where you go to change from Wattage into TC Mode, Select Wire Type, Change Wattage in TC, Lock in Resistance Setting for TC, Change between Amps & Puff Counter (most everything you see on the Home Screen).

A couple steps, I know ..., but once you do this a few times becomes second nature. Kinda like needing to step through the Logo Menu to access the Pre-Heat functionality. In general, I think SMOK does a better job of menu access (there are shortcut 2-button presses to get to menu feature adjustment). Hmmm ..., maybe I just "think" they do a better job is because the 2-button short-cuts get to places I like to use. The Cuboid does have a number of 2-button access features, just not to things I prefer to use from one vape to the next :-(

CUBOID_Temp-Watts[1].png

Here is an Updates Log as of 4/8/2017 for various firmwares available as of today:

20170408 Updates Log.JPG

Once you get the hang of flashing firmware update, it only takes about 15 seconds. YOu might want to revisit some of the multitude of firmwares on your Cuboid. I "think" the v5.x versions are the Bubbles Display that you previously mentioned you do not like (same with me). I like the old easy to read display, 200w option, and ability to Wattage Up/Down in TEMP Control so v3.14 works best for me. The main feature I do not like, in this version, is the Logo Feature because I need to enter into this to adjust the Pre-Heat (something I use, needing to step through something I don't). MOst of this covered in my grievances already in this thread.

Hopefully something here is of usefulness to you.

Regards,

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Silverrado58,

Curious why v3.04 vs v3.14 ??
    Assuming you simply have no need for 200w vs. 150w ?
    200w on two 18650s is a lot. At the low voltage cutoff you'll be exceeding the cdr of even 30-amp batteries (assuming that the mod can even fire at full wattage with discharged batteries).

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread