Current skinny on VG vs. PG. Dr Loi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No burn baby

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England, UK
Dr. Loi, I'm hoping you will read this.

Very simplistically, what is the current skinny on VG vs. PG. Are we right in thinking that VG is likely safer in general, even in the instance where no PG allergy exists? I don't want to find myself barking up the wrong tree by going out of my way to vape VG if the concerns are equal. I would be extremely grateful for advice on this matter.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Very simplistically, what is the current skinny on VG vs. PG. Are we right in thinking that VG is likely safer in general, even in the instance where no PG allergy exists? I don't want to find myself barking up the wrong tree by going out of my way to vape VG if the concerns are equal. I would be extremely grateful for advice on this matter.

Hi ...just read it....so far....PG is safe but not to all.....those allergic to PG(it does exist) will have to switch over to VG....

I prefer PG over VG because it doesn't clog up atomiser as fast as VG...and also PG a better flavor carrier than VG(but some will disputes this)....VG is Volumnious compared to PG but that's because of it Oil components....

My best advise (at the moment) to all who use PG or VG...if it feels right and doesn't cause you harm, do so in moderation and don't forget the other component..the nicotine...that is more scary....cease usage if you feel something is not right like for example getting recurrent dryness of your throat or Upper Resp.Tract infection...

This wonderful device is not built for everyone..there will be someone with adverse reaction to it......so people , do be careful..we are treading on new grounds here and it is still very new....and sticky...;)

z3ro 2 6t

Dec 12, 2008
Long island
Hey, I started off using the pg and noticed my stomach was acting up. Idk if it was from that or me geeting a bug but I switched over to non pg and feel fine. I also think I OD on nic the otha day. Im not a crazy smoker but I think I smoked as if i took in 4 ciggs. Well the next day I felt like ****, I was shaking like crazy and felt nousious. It only lasted 12hs total but now im using low to zero nic and feel alot better.

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
well part of my who PG vs VG thing is how easy is really to get a good grade in the us and how much do i really need. i would love to be able to get a pure nic bottle and a dilute solution recipes, as well as independent flavoring agents that way every one can make there own strengths needed and flavor to taste

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
There is a very good reason why you'll never get a "pure nic bottle": It's a poison more deadly than arsenic or strychnine. The FDA already classifies nicotine as a "toxin". That label was applied to liquid I ordered: It was held up a month while the FDA at Customs cleared the "toxin" for personal use.

And if you're following what is happening in the UK with Pillbox's high-nic fluids and carts, you'll understand that restrictions will likely only tighten. Get any 36mg base liquid you can buy at the moment and either use it while it lasts or dilute in VG you can buy at a health food store or PG you can buy at Tractor Supply stores. Use Bickford flavors to create a desired taste.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
alrite, i have been hounded and scolded in past threads for being a noobie, talking about PG and all that other stuff, yet the threads about this are ongoing. I see many threads like this about people concerned about PG vs VG etc. thats why i was bringing up questions about it.

If you are not allergic to PG, and everyone is saying your stupid if you worry about the harms of PG that it is deemed safe, than why is there some kind of concensus going around about vg being safer? where is that stemming from? People having reactions? a study? anyone want to educate me?

Tallgirl1974

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Loganville, Ga
I read somewhere that the vapor is not absorbed in the lungs, as in a cigarette, but only absorbed in the mouth and nasal passages. Can this be right ??

You saw it on the new info report someone posted? Thats where I read it.The nicotine is not in our lungs- the water vapor and PG/VG is. Just as with the nico inhaler, I believe, the nicotine is heavier and hitting and absorbing in our mouth/throats/top airways and not in our lungs. I tried to go find a direct quote but yanno its a mass mess of posts!

Tallgirl1974

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Loganville, Ga
who the hell knows. Doesnt make much sense to me though. Why wouldnt the lungs absorb it? I mean people inhale medications through inhalers through the lungs no?

This is my take on it: we don't directly pull the vapor into our lungs, we drag and hold in the mouth before we inhale.
With the others(inhalers and nebulizers) we directly inhale, deeply and quickly. Nebulizers do get the meds into the mouth/throat and airway. Thats why they ask patients to rinse the mouth out when done.
I have a theory that if you hit a PV like a doob more nic would be absorb into the lungs. :)

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
I have a theory that if you hit a PV like a doob more nic would be absorb into the lungs. :)
Maybe; I don't know. I don't feel any kind of lung hit that way.

wakeup.jpg

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Big tobacco puts baking soda in smokeless tobacco because, nicotine's PH is to acid to be absorbed in the mouth. Baking soda raises the PH and the nicotine is absorbed. Swedish snus, uses it also, but they use different words more of a description of what it does.

Our e-juice is probably to acid for the lungs to absorb and we don't get as much nicotine as we think we do by mouth.

Last edited:

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Spirou - constipation is one of the long list of possible side-effects from stopping (or lessening a lot) the smoking of (real) cigarettes... It's very easy to mix up effects from something new you are starting on, with effects from stopping doing what you did before this new thing, whatever it is/was. But I guess it would be a good thing to always try to find out what the effects can be of both instances, not just the 'new' instance on which a person, very understandably, tends to concentrate when going from an 'old known' to a 'new unknown'.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
This whole theory about lungs/not lungs absorbing nicotine. Irrelevant.
The process seems to be happening, and where ever the vapor eventually deposits it's load of nicotine, it must somehow be making it's way to the brain's receptors. Or we wouldn't be bothering ourselves with whatever method of nicotine delivery we are using. And the strength of the liquid we know we can tolerate or not tolerate.
If it is absorbed by mucous membrane, mouth, nose, throat, or lungs it's absorbed. Trying to make sense of the studies done with patches, gum, inhalers, etc., the one bit of information that comes through is that absorbtion is faster with cigarettes, slower with any other means. Why that is is hard to discern from any study, but then again I am not a molecular scientist either. All we know is that we receive satisfaction for our efforts through inhaling vapor from PV's. Studies would have to be done IMHO of the mechanisms of the brain itself, which would take years of study just to verify the testing procedures, what the method of comparisons would be, and millions of dollars to do all of these studies to do a study, then technological development of scanning and sampling devices! Then someone would surely be handy to try to question or nullify the results. And the whole cycle would start all over again, by that time I don't think I'm going to be giving a rat's @$$ about it all. Today the question is, WHAT are we addicted to? If indeed we are addicted to anything. Maybe we just happen to like nicotine, as I like a Milky Way bar once in awhile. This is the same question that parents of Down's Syndrome children or MS victims or Autistim, and a host of maladys want to find the answer for. What happens, how does it happen and how do we fix it. I don't think right now today we can find difinitive answers. Or another way to think about it is why do I have ADD, and why doesn't my brain allow me to have 100% instant recall, or 100% Photographic memory. Science seems to be only trying to define the question, so far. Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

JoeSmog

May 11, 2009

Who is Dr. Loi? Why consult him? NASA has done this for you.

Look here at the most current data available. This chart should be a good indication of the known hazards of PG. See left of table for adverse end points. Compare to any symptom you feel you might have. Left for Time Intervals. Concentrations in Exposure column. Also realize that Rats/Mice have lungs that can drain. Human lungs cannot.

Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations for Selected Airborne Contaminants: Volume 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread