Custard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I don't know much about this topic because I don't want to. I love custards and ignorance is bliss lol. I know custard juices often contains things people believe less safe than other juices. My question is do they HAVE to add that stuff to make custard flavors? I really don't want to get too technical because I don't want to know lol. I'm just curious if my favorite juices will be banned with legislation looming?

Reactions: AllElseFailed

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Technically they don't because now a lot of creamy, custardy flavours are coming out in DX versions - meaning the diketones have been eliminated. That said, I have heard comments from people saying they are fine with the DX versions as much as I have heard others saying they're just not the same thing. They do seem to make for tastier flavouring but then taste is always so subjective. If one thinks that vaping a certain cream or custard is going to kill them they probably would not enjoy it all that much even if the taste is superior. It's not inconceivable that e-juice containing diketones will be banned but they can't ban the flavours themselves since flavours are used in food and drink products (i.e. consumed not vaporized) and in that form they are totally safe.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
The "stuff" is called diketones, and they add a smooth buttery texture and flavor. Some liquid makers are reformulating to eliminate the potential risk. Many are just avoiding looking into it or testing. Nobody knows exactly what will be banned at all or when just yet.

As you don't want to know much about this, you may find your favorite liquid disappears because the vaping community just refuses to tolerate this potential risk in their liquid. Guess you'll just have to wait and see. I'm not sure ignorance is bliss in this case.

Reactions: Underwhelmed

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I don't think this will take long to sort out.

In a year or two, I believe it will be obvious what juice won't contain diketones.

In the meantime, I'd avoid lung hitting 15-30 mils a day of some juices from SB or 5P.
    I like to save my custard for dessert. :wink:

bluecat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    The dk issue has been out for a year or 2 now. Some responsible companies like FA were proactive and reformulated their flavorings to get rid of it and clearly marked those that contained it. I beleive Papi stated the same. Other companies did as you, chose to ignore the issue. One just has to be diligent in their purchases.

AP is another potential harmful substance. The key is to be well informed, proactive and adapt to the changes just like with anything life throws at a person.

To put your head in the sand is a typically American response to many things that affect the general public. Asking is a great step out of that syndrome.

I am sure we will find other potential harmful things. Again we will just have to adapt.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Not appropriate

motordude

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 1, 2015
    VA, USA
    To put your head in the sand is a typically American response to many things that affect the general public. Asking is a great step out of that syndrome.
    I would disagree with this.
    It seems the American response is to over analyze every issue to death, and bore the he__ out of us.

Siouxinpa

Jun 8, 2015
    Central PA
    Diketones are critical to flavorings. They act like salt in cooking or vanilla in baking.

The reason cooks salt everything is to "wake up" your taste buds. Every wonder why you need to add vanilla to chocolate cake? The same reason. These flavor compounds not only have their own taste profile, they enhance the profiles of other flavors. BTW you also add a small amount of salt to a chocolate cake too. :)

Smoking also creates diketones so my "head in the sand" reasoning is, if diketones are potentially harmful I still have reduced 6,998 other toxic chemicals from my intake. So what if it's not 6,999?

Perhaps that's wrong thinking of me but without diketones I don't know if I could continue to vape. DX juices, for the most part, taste flat to me. Exactly like chocolate cake made without vanilla or salt.

FWIW

bluecat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    I would disagree with this.
    It seems the American response is to over analyze every issue to death, and bore the he__ out of us.
    I was speaking of the general publics apathy attitude. Not the powers that be that over analyse driving a nail with hammer to decide what special interest group should be paid to drive the nail.

bluecat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    My problem is I can't find a ADV that is not a custard. I don't know why I guess it's just my tastebuds lol. If I had to stop vaping those I'd probably just stop vaping. Not because I wanted to but because I can't seem to vape anything else
    I look at vaping as a tool. While it may not be the right tool. It succeeded where others have failed. I won't let vaping rule my life like smoking did for 30 years. It is sorta like duct tape. It just works.

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    There is also a school of thought that states that the alternatives are just as bad as what they are replacing, but they appear to be safer because there has not been as much testing on the newer chemical.

A similar thing happens in the 'legal highs' world, a new designer drug is formulated which is chemically slightly different from a banned substance, but the effect is the same. It is not chemically the same, so it is not detected in tests, therefore it is legal. Later on it gets banned due to authorities realizing that it is basically the same as the previous designer drug. So the saga continues...

I love custard/cream e-juices btw, the original ones, not the vomit tasting new versions :p

Reactions: Mia11

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    My problem is I can't find a ADV that is not a custard. I don't know why I guess it's just my tastebuds lol. If I had to stop vaping those I'd probably just stop vaping. Not because I wanted to but because I can't seem to vape anything else

I'm not at all surprised. I DIY and my ADV is still the first juice I ever mixed - a sort of fruity custard. And what is more the custard flavour I first got was from a firm in he UK I no longer purchase from and try as I may I really can't find anything that totally replaces that flavour. I still like my ADV but now it is sort of so-so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread