Status
Not open for further replies.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Apollo ordered what lrider was calling 'stainless steel', sold a ton in preorders, and then found out it was copper plated with chrome.

HA! I was right all along :) <--- me gloating like a child

Nope, the stainless is just stainless, but buffed to a super shine. The chrome looks near identical as far as any of us can tell. Apollo has said they're identical, visually. That's how this whole mess got started. Apollo ordered what lrider was calling 'stainless steel', sold a ton in preorders, and then found out it was copper plated with chrome. They told lrider to make an all solid stainless tube or refund the preorder money. So that's why they're the only ones who got em. ;)And yeah, that would be a ridonkulous thing to do. That was my response on the chrome. Not that chrome isn't great, but if you're already making a copper body to plate with chrome, why not have a nice shiny sealed copper mod, since copper mods are so sought after. I had to talk the guy at apollo into the copper! Gave him links showing where people were hunting for copper, etc. I gather its selling rather well. I'm hoping like heck they do em with the 1.5v internals.

Ok, first... in the following it might sound like I am arguing with you but I am not :)

I am just really confused.. you said it looks just like chrome.

Stainless steel takes a quite a bit of work to buff out shiny and smooth, even with machines.
To get it to look like chrome? Doubtful and when I say doubtful, please know I mean doubtful in terms of the Chinese doing it , not that it cannot be done. I know these people, they will sell their grandmother for .20 and throw in a cup of bad coffee. I can't see them investing the $$$ into making SS look like Chrome (for machinery, training and materials I mean) Chroming a heavier metal and calling it stainless steel is the easier route and they can apologize after they cash the check.

I am not a metallurgist, but I do know a bit about metals.

You have to start with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, then on to 3000 grit and even then the look will not be completely like chrome but it will be shiny. I just can't see the Chinese gearing up for that to make a one off (run) product. I don't know why I care so much, must have a bit of that OCD going around :)

still that said, you have to take everything I say with a grain of salt because I am no expert for sure :)
Just don't like seeing people not get what they pay for.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
lol Oh no... trust me. You're not the first person to question it. rofl That's why we were in such an all fired stink about the whole thing. It wasn't just the wait... it was the wait with no notification, tons of missed deadlines, and noone answering our questions about these very real concerns. I don't know how the steel supposedly looks like the chrome. I'm not 100% sure that it does. I just know that's what apollo told us, and noone has posted a photo that looks decidedly different, and people are all photographing them. I know a few of them ordered chrome. I personally was almost sure that the thing we received was gonna be the copper plated chrome. The only reason I'm saying that so far we're pretty confident the bodies are solid stainless (though there is some question about the top cap with 510 connection) is because a machinist who checked his out said something like 'unless they figured out a way to plate the interior of the mod with a dead ringer for brushed stainless steel, it's solid' or something like that. rofl Ok, you know what? You've officially got me curious now. I'm gonna go pop in that thread and ask someone who has chrome to post a photo, and then someone who has a stainless to try to duplicate angle and ambient light or I can try to match the photo w my stainless, so we can get a better idea. lol I'll letcha know what comes up. ;)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Ok, so its official. They look exactly the same. lol They MUST be doing the multi step sand/buff thing, because everyone is in agreement (and a few people have ripped theirs apart to find out) that these are 100% stainless, with no chrome plating (except for the 510 connection itself.. the actual little cup that seems to be chrome plated copper). But we have verified that either the head is solid stainless, or some miracle form of 3mm thick steel plating. lol And the body is definitely solid. Here's a photo of the chrome, and here's a link to the invape article that shows you close ups on the stainless, since i know you can't see into that other supplier thread, and you haven't been able to check out the differences in the models. He breaks it all down for ya. And then of course you can see the 1.5v specs at crystalclearvaping. That 'Invape' piece is photographed a little oddly. Almost looks like the body is duller than the head from the lighting angle. I can tell you that mine is super glossy like that head all the way down. ;) And yeah, I'm guessing that insane tooling multistep process to get these glossed up must be why these are so time intensive and costly to make. I'm not an authority, but I didn't think stainless steel was that much pricier than solid copper.... that's why we were all so shocked at the difference in price. But I promise you, if you want the stainless and chrome is all that's available, your clients will still love them. They are really rather gorgeous. And they'll really love not having to pay $100+ for them. ;)

So this is from user tj99959 _Chrome LT from Electronicstix. I wanted to show you a chrome from another vendor, other than Apollo, so you'd know these are what you'd get as well, rather than some unique proprietary deal they apollo worked out, that might not be available to other vendors.
tj99959_ChromeLTfromElectronicstix.jpg

And here's link to the invape piece with close ups of everything from the new connection, body etc on the stainless. ;) They've lowered the price back to $105 for the kit. BTW, the only inaccurate detail I saw in this article (i just love invape) is that he says it works on ego cartos. That's not quite true... the diameter of the ego connection is slightly off, so it works on some ego cartos, but definitely doesn't work on the CE4s, like either of your varieties. It fits in the channel, but won't screw in. That's why we're needing some sort of short extender to make them work. Aside from the fabrication materials, the chrome models/copper models are shaped exactly the same way, with the same wonky ego connection. I'm sure they'll correct that, though.
Stainless Steel VTube | InVape

rofl But somehow I'm now I'm not surprised, based on all the steps you said go into glossing stainless, that the chinese factory wants nothing more to do with the stainless. ;) Makes sense now. lol

Last edited:

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Ok, so its official. They look exactly the same. lol They MUST be doing the multi step sand/buff thing, because everyone is in agreement (and a few people have ripped theirs apart to find out) that these are 100% stainless, with no chrome plating (except for the 510 connection itself.. the actual little cup that seems to be chrome plated copper). But we have verified that either the head is solid stainless, or some miracle form of 3mm thick steel plating. lol And the body is definitely solid. Here's a photo of the chrome, and here's a link to the invape article that shows you close ups on the stainless, since i know you can't see into that other supplier thread, and you haven't been able to check out the differences in the models. He breaks it all down for ya. And then of course you can see the 1.5v specs at crystalclearvaping. That 'Invape' piece is photographed a little oddly. Almost looks like the body is duller than the head from the lighting angle. I can tell you that mine is super glossy like that head all the way down. ;) And yeah, I'm guessing that insane tooling multistep process to get these glossed up must be why these are so time intensive and costly to make. I'm not an authority, but I didn't think stainless steel was that much pricier than solid copper.... that's why we were all so shocked at the difference in price. But I promise you, if you want the stainless and chrome is all that's available, your clients will still love them. They are really rather gorgeous. And they'll really love not having to pay $100+ for them. ;)

So this is from user tj99959 _Chrome LT from Electronicstix. I wanted to show you a chrome from another vendor, other than Apollo, so you'd know these are what you'd get as well, rather than some unique proprietary deal they apollo worked out, that might not be available to other vendors.
tj99959_ChromeLTfromElectronicstix.jpg

And here's link to the invape piece with close ups of everything from the new connection, body etc on the stainless. ;) They've lowered the price back to $105 for the kit.
Stainless Steel VTube | InVape

rofl But somehow I'm now I'm not surprised, based on all the steps you said go into glossing stainless, that the chinese factory wants nothing more to do with the stainless. ;) Makes sense now. lol

I can see the difference in metal in the photo on that InVape page, between the body and the top piece, it looks different, the body looks like buffed SS, the top chromed :)

Mystery solved, LRider shopped out the SS and are probably ...... that they had to spend the $$ to do it lol...

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Yes, that's exactly right. Apollo finally posted a photo of the two next to each other... they're identical except chrome has a slightly blue tinge and stainless has a slightly yellow tinge to the reflected light. And a couple of the stainless people got chrome heads, so theres that mess to straighten out. lol

Can you tell me, are these 18500s IMR? It says they're unprotected, so I'm thinking they are, but the price is lower than I'd expect. Thanks!
18500 3.7v 1600mAh Battery

Ooh, and one last thing.. looks like you changed your liquid from the last time I looked at it. I'm really interested in the peanut butter cup, so I threw an ounce of that in my cart.. but it mentions somewhere that all VG is doable, but I'm not sure how to request it. Do I just ask in the comments?

Thank you!

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Yes, that's exactly right. Apollo finally posted a photo of the two next to each other... they're identical except chrome has a slightly blue tinge and stainless has a slightly yellow tinge to the reflected light. And a couple of the stainless people got chrome heads, so theres that mess to straighten out. lol

Can you tell me, are these 18500s IMR? It says they're unprotected, so I'm thinking they are, but the price is lower than I'd expect. Thanks!
18500 3.7v 1600mAh Battery

Ooh, and one last thing.. looks like you changed your liquid from the last time I looked at it. I'm really interested in the peanut butter cup, so I threw an ounce of that in my cart.. but it mentions somewhere that all VG is doable, but I'm not sure how to request it. Do I just ask in the comments?

Thank you!

ICR = lithium cobalt
IMR = lithium manganese

The one you referenced is IRC not IMR

Yes, just add a comment telling me to use VG, however, that's a misnomer as the flavoring and the nicotine are obviously not VG, so you'll never get 100% VG. I "cut" pure nicotine and use the same ration I use for all of my standard mixes, so you will get a small amount of PG, if you are allergic or something like that, it's not for you :)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Perfect! I can handle a tiny bit of PG... just not much or my normally pretty skin breaks out like a 15 year old band geek. NOT pretty on a 36yr old woman. rofl The funny part is it took me like 8mos to make the connection. Couldn't figure out why I was suddenly having difficulty with my complexion. lol But VG base and little pg in the flavors is perfect. ;)

And thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I'll hold off on those batts till I check in more detail as to what my tox calls for. I'm 99% sure they're supposed to be IMR.... but honestly, as soon as the 18650 tube for em comes out, that's all I'll use anyway, so no biggie. ;)

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Perfect! I can handle a tiny bit of PG... just not much or my normally pretty skin breaks out like a 15 year old band geek. NOT pretty on a 36yr old woman. rofl The funny part is it took me like 8mos to make the connection. Couldn't figure out why I was suddenly having difficulty with my complexion. lol But VG base and little pg in the flavors is perfect. ;)

And thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I'll hold off on those batts till I check in more detail as to what my tox calls for. I'm 99% sure they're supposed to be IMR.... but honestly, as soon as the 18650 tube for em comes out, that's all I'll use anyway, so no biggie. ;)

I noticed you have a nice chart and write up here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ccessories-them-post-your-questions-here.html

Can I use that? :) Mine is similar but not nearly as good.

Bayemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Omaha
Ok, I love my GGDCCs, but I am on a bad run and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Brand new, I fill it up and am ready to roll, I go to vape it and it tastes nasty and ganky as all get out. Do you think the filler is not all the way down? If I give up and move on to another carto I am fine. Doesn't matter what battery I put it on, same ganky taste. I have tried pushing down the filler with a blunt nose, similar to a normal go cart, but to no avail. This is the 3rd one out of my last order I have had this problem with, so trying to figure out how to get these things firing right. Thoughts?

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Ok, I love my GGDCCs, but I am on a bad run and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Brand new, I fill it up and am ready to roll, I go to vape it and it tastes nasty and ganky as all get out. Do you think the filler is not all the way down? If I give up and move on to another carto I am fine. Doesn't matter what battery I put it on, same ganky taste. I have tried pushing down the filler with a blunt nose, similar to a normal go cart, but to no avail. This is the 3rd one out of my last order I have had this problem with, so trying to figure out how to get these things firing right. Thoughts?

I have to say I've gone through a boatload of them myself because I am too lazy to clean them and so far all good.. I have no advice other than to try and clean them

(also, send me an email about this ;) )

Andyhrn

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
TX
Mr. Gormly I sent you a PM about my order. Please, check.

Another question is:
How long does it takes to brake in a long wicked Vizion cleartomizers? It taste awful. With the short ones I've never had a such experience (haven't tried yours yet). And they are look different compare what I had have before. What am I doing wrong? Are there any trick?

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Mr. Gormly I sent you a PM about my order. Please, check.

Another question is:
How long does it takes to brake in a long wicked Vizion cleartomizers? It taste awful. With the short ones I've never had a such experience (haven't tried yours yet). And they are look different compare what I had have before. What am I doing wrong? Are there any trick?

It should only be a minute or two, keep in mind the long wick version is the same as the short, just has a longer wick. It should not do anything but make it easier for the low fluid level to wick up, it should have no effect on taste vs. the short wick.

Try tilting it or even upside down for a moment or two, also, what voltage are you using? This is a 2.5 - 2.9oHms item so it will not perform so well at really high voltages.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Thanks,Eric.
There's a new problem has happend with the same cleartomizer. The carto developed a crack on the bottom just in 3 days. I was watching for 2 days how it's getti.g bigger and bigger. Lol.
Here's the pic:
View attachment 101216

If it starts to leak, let me know and then remind me on your next order, I'll replace it.

Is anyone else having this issue?
I've run many through the wringer so far they are pretty great.

Andyhrn

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
TX
If it starts to leak, let me know and then remind me on your next order, I'll replace it.

Is anyone else having this issue?
I've run many through the wringer so far they are pretty great.

Thanks , Eric. Never mind. I will still use it. I posted this pic only you to have some prove next time you are going to negotiate with your's supplier.
Btw I have couple clear Visions from other vendors and the cartos developed vertical cracks from the bottom in 5-6 days. It seems a common problem with the Vision.
Sample:

2012-05-17 16.52.14.jpg

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Thanks , Eric. Never mind. I will still use it. I posted this pic only you to have some prove next time you are going to negotiate with your's supplier.
Btw I have couple clear Visions from other vendors and the cartos developed vertical cracks from the bottom in 5-6 days. It seems a common problem with the Vision.
Sample:

View attachment 101254

LOL! awesome, you are right.. negotiation tactic :)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I've gotten exactly the same thing, only from non DV ce4s that I won elsewhere. I think out of 5, it happened on 4 of em.... I think it can happen often (I asked elsewhere and was told its a common development, and not just with vision stuff, either. Seems to be a feature of this type of plastic), and definitely happens faster if you really torque em down tight on the batt, so just tighten enough that they're secure. Seems to be usable for long after those develop, at least, which is a good thing. ;) That's the main reason I asked if the ce5 plastic was better. BUT I've only ever had one of them crack on me totally, and I seem to be a notorious clearo cracker. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread