Cut with Glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
To Me, i prefer/trust Food grade better.
It may be wrong, but i think food grade can be eaten, where Pharm grade is just pure, and may not always be used internally, depends the one you get.
The ones ive seen in the pharmacys here, say external only, but the health food ones are marked to be taken internally that i got.

Attachments

• glycerin.jpg
    glycerin.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 28

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
That is interesting... the "external use only" thing. The bottle I got from the drugstore says you can gargle with it. I wonder if that's a labelling thing, since 100% pure should be the same, no matter what.

The 500ml bottle of USP PG that came from Xenex Labs says "avoid inhalation" on it too though, LOL.

USP:

"USP includes chemical descriptions, identifying tests, and purity tests, primarily for active ingredients. All materials listed in the USP are considered drugs by law and subject to all the U.S. Food & Drug Administration requirements pertaining to drugs. Labeling a product or a substance as USP implies that it conforms to all the legal requirements of the FDA and that it was produced in accordance with the principles outlined in FDA’s Good Manufacturing Practices"

"under FDA regulations, the quality and purity of USP and FCC glycerin products must be supported by systematic and complete record keeping on the part of the manufacturer. For example, every shipment of USP and FCC glycerin must be referenced to a lot number, which permits tracing back to the plant in which the product was produced. These requirements are designed to assure a level of product integrity that cannot be achieved strictly by reliance only on physical and chemical testing."

So USP means it legally qualifies as a "Drug" and better d*mn well contain what it says it does :)

That particular heath food store stuff MAGUSTEELE buys is VERY impressive as well

Their web page, although hard to find, says:
NOW Foods - Glycerin or Diethylene Glycol?

"At NOW® Foods, we perform identity testing on our raw materials and finished goods in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practice standards to ensure the safety and quality of our products. To avoid the use of DEG-contaminated glycerin, specific analytical testing procedures are performed on glycerin materials, as well as finished products containing glycerin such as our XyliWhiteTM toothpastes. These quality controls provide a reasonable assurance that our products are tested to be safe.

Technical Details

The USP infrared absorption method from the USP monograph is used for the identification of individual compounds of glycerin and DEG. The USP gas chromatography/flame ionization selection (GC/FID) method is used to distinguish glycerin from DEG and determine the concentration of DEG contamination. We use the USP GC method to determine the level of DEG in glycerin by spiking 0.1% of DEG into glycerin standard solution and comparing the peak size. The assay allows the precise and sensitive identification and limit testing of DEG in glycerin raw material and some final products. By using this method to verify the limit of DEG in glycerin products, Now Foods ensures the best quality of our products for our customers, while avoiding potentially harmful impurities."

So it looks pretty good for either of these, I'd say. Just be careful to research whatever you get if it doesn't have some legal quality assurance label on it.

SANJP

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
LONDON UK
There is a massive difference between eating and Inhaling things .

Our stomachs can take a serious pounding I mean ther full of acid 100% of the time !

Our lungs on the other hand are not so tuff !

So bottom line is until the powers that be do long term testing we will never now if vaping PG or VG will kill us in the long term or not.

We do know that Cigarettes will kill you so think we may be better off with vaping but maybe its just a matter of time before we are told it will kill us too? who knows hey ?​

We Vape In The Name Of Science !!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread