Cylaid 35A 2600mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just a very overrated 25A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 20700/21700, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

IMG_5188.JPG IMG_5189.JPG IMG_5191.JPG

Bottom Line
    This Cylaid is an overrated cell with a useless pulse rating. At its claimed 35A continuous rating its temperature rose above the boiling point of water, reaching the dangerously high level of 111°C. This clearly shows the claimed 35A continuous current rating is ridiculous.

While this cell has the claimed 35A rating in fine print on the wrap it has an even more useless 50A "max pulse discharge" rating on the wrap too. It also features "50A" in a larger font which many people will use as the cell's rating when shopping or when a vendor displays it on their web site. For these reasons I feel the large "50A" rating, or any "pulse" rating, is misleading and shouldn't be used.

This Cylaid matches the Sony VTC5A in appearance and in performance up to about 30A. Above this the VTC5A performs better.

I am rating this Cylaid at 25A and 2600mAh.

My thanks to Cylaid for donating the two cells for testing! (Shenzhen Cylaid Technology Co., Ltd. - Electronic products,E-cigarette)

Continuous-Current Test Results
    IMG_5198.PNG

Pulse-Current Test Results
    IMG_5200.PNG IMG_5199.PNG

Comparison to the Sony VTC5A
    IMG_5197.PNG

Always Remember
    ⁃ There is no 18650 with a factory/manufacturer rating over 30A continuous.
    - There is no 3000mAh 18650 that can have a rating over 20A continuous.
    ⁃ There is no 3100mAh-3600mAh 18650 that can have a rating over 10A continuous.
    ⁃ There is no 18650 available to vapers that has a capacity rating over 3600mAh.

Comments
    • At 10A continuous this cell delivered 2440mAh. This is good performance for a 2500mAh rated/2600mAh nominal cell so I am rating it at 2600mAh.
    • Its temperature of 79°C at 25A continuous is just above the average for cells being operated at their rating so I am rating this cell at 25A.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey, Mr. Mooch. Thank you for your contribution to this community! Question here, have you ever test the "Cylaid 60A 3000mAh"? It has claimed 35A continuous discharge and 60A max pulse discharge. I think the rating is insanely high. Just wondering if you have plan to test this cell. Thanks.

TBH, I don't remember.
    Click my signature link to my blog and check my list of test reports or my 18650 ratings table.

It can't be rated over 20A though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread