• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Daily Word: Week 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapinBill

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Michigan
1 Corinthians 11:12 (KJV)
For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.
– Ecclesiastes 5:18

Reactions: Saintscruiser

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
1 Corinthians 11:12 (KJV)
For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.
– Ecclesiastes 5:18

1 Corinthians 11:12 - I read many translations of this verse, but went back to the beginning of the chapter to get context. This part of the chapter is talking about head coverings while being in church. It's really a great chapter, and I am going to post it for you to read. This is not the entire chapter, but has to do with head coverings.

11 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Head Coverings
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God. :wub:

Now the word contentious means: quarrelsome and obstinate. This word comes from Latin. Plus, I noticed that verse 14 takes a stand against men having long hair. Wasn't it a custom back in Biblical times that men did indeed wear long hair? Maybe this has to do with hair longer than shoulder length? Any insight guys? Please post if you have anything to add to this! :)

Reactions: mightymen

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't

1 Corinthians 11:12 - I read many translations of this verse, but went back to the beginning of the chapter to get context. This part of the chapter is talking about head coverings while being in church. It's really a great chapter, and I am going to post it for you to read. This is not the entire chapter, but has to do with head coverings.

11 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Head Coverings
    I noticed that verse 14 takes a stand against men having long hair. Wasn't it a custom back in Biblical times that men did indeed wear long hair? Maybe this has to do with hair longer than shoulder length? Any insight guys? Please post if you have anything to add to this! :)

He was talking on what the instructions for the Jews were clearly it was well known and the practice must have caused some strife and he was attempting to clear it up like you SAID its all in the context AND explained it clearly in few words in verse 16 concerning the CHURCH of GOD.

Aramaic translation

Does it suit a woman to pray to Allaha while her head is uncovered? Is it becoming to a woman to pray to Allaha while her head is bare? 14. Does not even nature teach you that when a man's hair grows, it is an oath for him? 15. And a woman when her hair grows long, it is her glory, because her hair was given to her as a covering.* 16. If a person takes issue with these [instructions,] we neither have such a custom governing us, nor does the church of Allaha.

Footnotes

1 Cor 11:12 “Therefore then that a woman from man, thus also a man is in the hand of the woman.” -- *1 Cor 11:15 Summary of instructions: In church assemblies, men were supposed to have their hair cut, unless they were consecrated from birth. Women could wear their hair long in the assembly, but if someone's head was tarred or shaved, she was allowed to enter the assembly with head covered.

http://www.v-a.com/bible/1_corinthians_11.html

---------------
    Here'sa another Aramaic translation version

Read verse 16

14Does not even nature teach you that when a man has grown his hair, it is a disgrace to him? 15And whenever a woman grows her hair, it is a glory to her, because her hair is given to her in place of a covering. 16But if a man disputes against these things, we have no such custom, neither does the church of God
    14Does not even nature teach you that when a man has grown his hair, it is a disgrace to him? 15And whenever a woman grows her hair, it is a glory to her, because her hair is given to her in place of a covering. 16 But if a man disputes against these things, we have no such custom, neither does the church of God

http://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/1_corinthians/11.htm

Last edited:

VapinBill

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Romans 2:1 (KJV)
    Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
    – Matthew 11:29-30

VapinBill

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2009
    Michigan
    1 Timothy 6:7 (KJV)
    For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
    – Romans 10:9-11

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    Romans 2:1 (KJV)
    Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
    – Matthew 11:29-30

There are days where I beg to differ with 'For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.' Life and difficulties can get us down.....way down. But, in comparison to keeping universes in their proper places, stars fixed in the sky, war miracles (6 day war in Israel) and all the other wars, plus taking care of all His children, while setting up the end days, and so much more, I'm kind of down on the lower rung of the totem pole. The one thing that truly helps me, is Jesus experienced every emotion we go through. 1) betrayal; 2) fear; 3) loneliness; 4) love; 5) tears of pain....a broken heart; 6) patience; (I hate that one) 7) peace; 8) joy; 9) thankfulness; 10) righteous anger; (the money changers). 11) passion for the truth.....and on and on. He never experienced indifference, except (and I don't know if you would call this indifference or wisdom....probably wisdom) when He told the disciples to shake the dirt from their sandals leaving town if the town would not accept them. Ah....it just came to me.....Jesus was teaching them about 'rejection and criticism.' I don't like those either. But it has always helped me to know that He went through it first, so He can minister to me through the Holy Ghost. He understands how hard it is to live here. You know He had to be homesick, but He loved His disciples and wanted to share with them plus complete His mission. What an Awesome God, Bless His Holy Name, Hallelujah!:wub:

Reactions: VapinBill

VapinBill

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Luke 2:10-11 (KJV)
    And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    – Proverbs 22:6

VapinBill

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2009
    Michigan
    John 12:24 (KJV)
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
    – Romans 5:10-11

VapinBill

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Luke 11:10 (KJV)
    For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.
    – Psalm 35:27-28

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread