Dark Ages of Vape DIY recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I have a small bottle of the vienna cream I got a for a few recipes I wanted to try and like it in the recipes I tried so far but haven't tried it as a stand alone yet. I need to do that and decide if I want to buy some more on my next order.

Walmart online has a good selection of the RF Raw flavors and free shipping but a one ounce bottle of the extract goes a looong way (I got a free bottle of the 3 raw flavors I bought so I am good on Baklava, French Toast and Pumpkin Pie flavor for a while). I love that Baklava (I have the Raw) but it needed a good steep time to mellow out on the clove/cinnamon notes to let the pastry notes come through. My tester bottle is 3 weeks old and I am enjoying the vape enough that I made a 100ml batch of it.

Are these the "raw" flavors? Real Flavors Extracts & Colorings - Walmart.com If not, can you give me the link?

Thanks.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
What ratio did you mix it at?

I did it at 9% which was the median mixing quantity I found on the recipe site. I am going to let it steep for a while to see how it goes but I could see increasing that a bit more to 10 or a little higher. I did RY4 Double at 10% standalone (but feel like it could go a bit higher) and the RY4 Asian I mixed up in a tester the other day I did at 9% and am having the same feelings about. I will probably try all 3 of them at 11 or 12% next time I mix them up.

Are these the "raw" flavors? Real Flavors Extracts & Colorings - Walmart.com If not, can you give me the link?

Thanks.

Yes, that is them. Here is all of the available Raw flavors on the MFG site as I am not sure if all of them are on walmart or not - Raw Extracts

They have some of the VG flavors on Amazon now too but it is cheaper to buy those from the various flavor sites - Authorized Resellers

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I just tested their new RY4 they named RJ4 and it is pretty darn good. I will likely be getting this in a 120ml bottle as well when I place my next bulk order.

I was curious about the new One Stop Blend RJ4, too, but there's no description for it. So other than it being a blend (ready to mix with just PG, VG, & Nic base), and the TFA RY4Double being a single flavoring (maybe needing other flavorings to mix with it)...I wondered how they're different. I emailed Kimberly to ask what the difference is between the 2, and she said the RJ4 is just alittle creamier. Thought I'd post it in case anyone else wondered.

I asked mainly for the neighbor who is beginning to learn DIY and likes tobaccos, but also like creamier eliquids. The RJ4 might just suit him perfectly, especially since it's a One Stop Blend!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I was curious about the new One Stop Blend RJ4, too, but there's no description for it. So other than it being a blend (ready to mix with just PG, VG, & Nic base), and the TFA RY4Double being a single flavoring (maybe needing other flavorings to mix with it)...I wondered how they're different. I emailed Kimberly to ask what the difference is between the 2, and she said the RJ4 is just alittle creamier. Thought I'd post it in case anyone else wondered.

I asked mainly for the neighbor who is beginning to learn DIY and likes tobaccos, but also like creamier eliquids. The RJ4 might just suit him perfectly, especially since it's a One Stop Blend!
Thank you for the share JC!:thumbs:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

RY4 is a blend of tobacco vanilla caramel.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
RY4 is a blend of tobacco vanilla caramel.

What you call a blend and what I call a blend...are definitely two different things. LOL!

When I'm talking about "blends", which the RJ4 above definitely is, I'm referring to OSDIY Shop's One Shot Blends and One Shot Flavors. They're already combinations of flavorings that can be turned into wonderful, vapable, eliquids simply by adding any 1 of them to just PG, VG, and Nic base.

Flavorings like the TFA RY4Double...are just that - flavorings. They may or may not have several different flavors in them, but they're not marketed as "blends"...by their manufacturers, nor the vendors who sell them...like the OSDIY Shop ones are in the above paragraph! Liquids sold as "flavorings" are usually a part of recipes...which also include several other flavorings, as well as PG, VG, and Nic base...to make wonderful, vapable eliquids.

If the manufacturers thought flavorings like the RY4Double, or RY4, or DX Banana Cream, or DX Cinnamon Danish, or many on your list of blends...were actually "blends" (ala OSDIY Shop ones)...don't you think they'd market them as such, instead of "flavorings"?

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree about what blends are and what flavorings are.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
What you call a blend and what I call a blend...are definitely two different things. LOL!

When I'm talking about "blends", which the RJ4 above definitely is, I'm referring to OSDIY Shop's One Shot Blends and One Shot Flavors. They're already combinations of flavorings that can be turned into wonderful, vapable, eliquids simply by adding any 1 of them to just PG, VG, and Nic base.

Flavorings like the TFA RY4Double...are just that - flavorings. They may or may not have several different flavors in them, but they're not marketed as "blends"...by their manufacturers, nor the vendors who sell them...like the OSDIY Shop ones are in the above paragraph!

If the manufacturers thought flavorings like the RY4Double, or RY4, or DX Banana Cream, or DX Cinnamon Danish, or many on your list of blends...were actually "blends" (ala OSDIY Shop ones)...don't you think they'd market them as such, instead of "flavorings"?

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree about what blends are and what flavorings are.
There are many blended flavors out there but only OSDIYS calls them blends. I think that is where some confusion comes from. I can blend OSDIYS shop blends with others too LOL But many flavors are already blends, take Reindeer P, blend of cinnamon roll, chocolate and ice cream by FW. Or Apple Pie or Strawberry Shortcake is a blend no matter the brand. Any flavor that has other notes is a blend, OSDIYS has not been the only blender :) I think they just marketed it differently by calling them "blends" which is very clever. Flavour Art also has some blends but they don't call them blends either. I am always looking out for blended flavor notes and they are out there, every brand has some, FW has a bunch.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I remember years ago there were few flavor note blends but a few were out there like RY4, it is a mix of caramel vanilla and tobacco. It was a very popular flavor as was 555 a nutty tobacco. We didn't have much for tobacco blends way back in the early days, but a few popped up. When dessert flavors took off everyone was looking for the perfect Strawberry short cake recipe and snicker doodle recipe. Now you can buy these flavors already blended ready to mix. So I think I have seen where this has all evolved from the early days, we used to have to do our blends, now we can buy the flavors already blended like Bread Pudding, Pumpkin pie and so on, it is very cool! I love it!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
LoAnn's way back was what everyone was using. DIY Flavor Shack was the go to place for flavors and she had a RY4 blend back in the day. RY4 is tobacco, Vanilla, Caramel flavor blend.

One of my fav Peach flavors is DIY flavor shack Perfect peach :) Been using that single flavor for years. Another blend that flavor shack had is Cafe Napoleon, great stuff but had diacetyl.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@bnrkwest - Well, like I said before...I'll agree to disagree, and that you have the right to your opinion/interpretation about blends, and I do, too. Not going to do us any good to try to convince the other one to come around to our way of thinking. :thumbs:

Edit: Why do I think that? Well, here's 2 examples of why, based on 1 statement from 1 of your posts above:

"I can blend OSDIYS shop blends with others too LOL."

Yes, yes you can! But you missed my point again...which is - a Blend does not have to be mixed with other flavorings to have a finished eliquid. It is definitely a stand-alone! But, it can be mixed with others to make a totally new eliquid.

A Flavoring, sold as a flavoring by 99% of manufacturers (but which you refer to as a blend)...is one part of a recipe, along with other additional flavorings needed to make that recipe, or 5 others that include it, or 100 others. From what I've seen on here, and in hundreds of recipes...most flavorings that you call "blends" aren't stand-alone-flavorings.

The above are just "my take" on flavorings and blends. Hard for me to discuss it though, when what I'm saying isn't coming across as intended.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
LoAnn's way back was what everyone was using. DIY Flavor Shack was the go to place for flavors and she had a RY4 blend back in the day. RY4 is tobacco, Vanilla, Caramel flavor blend.

One of my fav Peach flavors is DIY flavor shack Perfect peach :) Been using that single flavor for years. Another blend that flavor shack had is Cafe Napoleon, great stuff but had diacetyl.
Boy do I remember those days. :)

LorAnn's flavors are a good example of just a 'flavor'. That is(was) why when we starting to DIY you had to add sweetener or a cream just to make it vapable. By themselves they just(usually) don't taste good. Very bland. When used in baking it was assumed you would be adding all the necessary ingredients to make it palatable(taste good). Just as in cooking a flavoring to enhance what your target taste is.

When DIYFS came along, Dawn was adding the necessary ingredients along with the flavoring to produce a vapable product to mix at home.

Just my 2 pennies.
:)

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
On the topic of RY4, I am vaping the last of this that I made up about 2 months ago when I didn't have many flavors to play with:

ButterRY4D Candy
7.00% Butterscotch (FW)
7.00% RY4 Double (TFA)
3.00% Ethyl Maltol (NN)

I went a bit too high on the EM. Next time I need to reduce it to maybe just 1%, or try sucralose or maybe marshmallow instead.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
@bnrkwest - Well, like I said before...I'll agree to disagree, and that you have the right to your opinion/interpretation about blends, and I do, too. Not going to do us any good to try to convince the other one to come around to our way of thinking. :thumbs:

Edit: Why do I think that? Well, here's 2 examples of why, based on 1 statement from 1 of your posts above:

"I can blend OSDIYS shop blends with others too LOL."

Yes, yes you can! But you missed my point again...which is - a Blend does not have to be mixed with other flavorings to have a finished eliquid. It is definitely a stand-alone! But, it can be mixed with others to make a totally new eliquid.

A Flavoring, sold as a flavoring by 99% of manufacturers (but which you refer to as a blend)...is one part of a recipe, along with other additional flavorings needed to make that recipe, or 5 others that include it, or 100 others. From what I've seen on here, and in hundreds of recipes...most flavorings that you call "blends" aren't stand-alone-flavorings.

The above are just "my take" on flavorings and blends. Hard for me to discuss it though, when what I'm saying isn't coming across as intended.
Yes we will have to agree to disagree :) Strawberry shortcake by FW and Samoa Cookie by RF are also blended flavors that stand alone when mixed. I just wanted to explain how these flavors and blends have evolved thru the years of DIY. OSDIYS has not invented flavor blends, they have been evolving over the years. I love hers tho too but also love Samoa cookie and Strawberry shortcake :) I think we both look at this from a different angle. Maybe it is because I see the changes happening in DIY since 2009 and what little was available back then.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

LorAnn's flavors are a good example of just a 'flavor'. That is(was) why when we starting to DIY you had to add sweetener or a cream just to make it vapable. By themselves they just(usually) don't taste good. Very bland. When used in baking it was assumed you would be adding all the necessary ingredients to make it palatable(taste good). Just as in cooking a flavoring to enhance what your target taste is.

When DIYFS came along, Dawn was adding the necessary ingredients along with the flavoring to produce a vapable product to mix at home.

Just my 2 pennies.
Yes that was why years ago I was not liking my DIY very much as it took so much work to even try to make a vapable RY4 LOL. I remember all those recipe attempts and which tobacco was best to go with the vanilla & caramel. And strawberry shortcake had so many flavors added it was incredible LOL! Dawn had come up with some nice blends. Everyone went there & now I rarely hear of anyone going to her flavor shack. Times change.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

Just my 2 pennies.
Double post

Reactions: Kenna

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I just went over to Dawn's flavor shack and see she has the Holy Holy grail of RY4 LOL Has anyone tried that? She also has tweaked RY4 in different note blends by bringing out the notes of sweet and caramel to different degrees. If I was still using tobacco I would try those, but don't like tobacco anymore. But for those that do maybe worth a try.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yes that was why years ago I was not liking my DIY very much as it took so much work to even try to make a vapable RY4 LOL. I remember all those recipe attempts and which tobacco was best to go with the vanilla & caramel. And strawberry shortcake had so many flavors added it was incredible LOL! Dawn had come up with some nice blends. Everyone went there & now I rarely hear of anyone going to her flavor shack. Times change.
I still go every once in a while to see what's up. LOL
She has a fruit flavor called Jag which is very tasty. Its too bad her prices are a little higher than everyones else's cause that keeps a lot of people away. But I still do buy from her on occasion.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I still go every once in a while to see what's up. LOL
She has a fruit flavor called Jag which is very tasty. Its too bad her prices are a little higher than everyones else's cause that keeps a lot of people away. But I still do buy from her on occasion.
I still love her perfect peach, so bought a big bottle. There is so much other stuff available now too that people have so many selections. When I found FW and Nature Flavors I found my new favs, add Real Flavors to that now and I am having a good ole time with DIY :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread