Day 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
Hi all,

I have been reading this form for about a month and decided to join. I have been smoking for 40 years until 8 days ago. I was smoking 2 and half packs a day for many years at the end. I haven´t had even one cig in 8 days!

I have never vaped before until this month. This is what I am using:

Aspire BVC ET

3 different Kanger VV 650mAH in rotation (Turned all the way up)

juice: 18mg nic, VG 40% / PG 60%

This is where I am at the moment. It is hard but manageable (Car exhaust smells good at the moment). Many questions to come....

Thanks

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Congratulations on 8 days and welcome to the forum @Dan40!:)

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
Thanks Susan, I would have gone with the 24mg nicotine but the highest I could find around here was 18mg. Most of those links I have been reading over the past month (very helpful).

I want to get a second setup for a backup because sooner or later I will drop this one and it will break. I just haven´t decided which one. There are so many to choose from. Also I want a second one so I can try other flavors while still having the one I like at the ready.

I think I am almost ready for something more complicated and powerful. I want to stay with the mouth to lung though.

Reactions: Susan~S

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Hey @Dan40 you're doing great! Took me almost 2 weeks to quit with slightly more powerful gear than yours. Tho I have since moved backward to the same Evod batteries (and some egos) that your using. Tho I rarely use more than the lowest setting. That Aspire was a good tank for me. But I decided early on that I wasn't spending money replacing coils. Those Aspire BVCs are a PITA to rebuild as verticals and had to rebuild every time rewicking was necessary so I moved on to the Kanger coils. Didn't you get Evod tanks with your batteries? Much easier to rewick without having to rebuild every time.
Anyway good luck to ya and try resist that tasty car exhaust!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i'd not drop any major expense on something just yet, not because you'll fail and relapse back to cigarettes ;) but because you might want to try out a few cheap options first to get an idea of the kind of things you do like.
Do you only want to use tanks, do you want to buy coils or are you interested in making them?

FWIW, my vaping began with cigalikes and when i realised they could maybe work, i bought something with a tank and more battery life. Then i found i could rebuild the tank coils for pennies and so got interested in rebuilding coils.
What started as a method of ditching cigarettes became a hobby and a money pit! My bankruptcy hearing is next month!

Seriously - buy a tank you like and what you power it with does not much matter these days with one proviso: don't buy a mechanical mod until you are well versed in battery safety - get something with electronics and GL.

T

Reactions: Foggy Road

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
i'd not drop any major expense on something just yet, not because you'll fail and relapse back to cigarettes ;) but because you might want to try out a few cheap options first to get an idea of the kind of things you do like.
Do you only want to use tanks, do you want to buy coils or are you interested in making them?

FWIW, my vaping began with cigalikes and when i realised they could maybe work, i bought something with a tank and more battery life. Then i found i could rebuild the tank coils for pennies and so got interested in rebuilding coils.
What started as a method of ditching cigarettes became a hobby and a money pit! My bankruptcy hearing is next month!

Seriously - buy a tank you like and what you power it with does not much matter these days with one proviso: don't buy a mechanical mod until you are well versed in battery safety - get something with electronics and GL.

T

^^^^LISTEN TO THE WISE MAN, DAN ^^^^

The standard answers to most questions around here will be.... Spend money, spend more money and spend money you don't have!

Last edited:

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
Thanks for all the quick responses and support. I am not really worried about spending money on coils at the moment as I save the money of 2 and half packs of cigs each day I don´t smoke. I may try it in the future as a hobby. I also don´t think I am interested in blowing clouds.

I am looking to NOT SMOKE and enjoy it as much as possible. I would like a little longer battery life, more power and possibly a bigger tank. This cheap tank I have hasn´t leaked yet (I am careful with it). What would be some advantages to a Nautilus or Nautilus mini as compared to the cheap tank I have? If none why the big difference in price?

What would be a good, quality electronic battery setup to go with this that isn´t going overboard spending money on things I don´t need?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
What would be some advantages to a Nautilus or Nautilus mini as compared to the cheap tank I have? If none why the big difference in price?

What would be a good, quality electronic battery setup to go with this that isn´t going overboard spending money on things I don´t need?
The Aspire Nautilus (and Nautilus Mini) have better coils (BVC = bottom vertical coil) in that they can handle higher power/wattage and give better flavor.

Also look at the eLeaf GS Air Series of tanks
  • Eleaf GS Air
  • Eleaf GS Air M
  • Eleaf GS Air MS
  • GS Tank
The GS Air M is the largest-capacity Air. Tanks & coils are inexpensive (~$10). Two different Kanthal coils: 1.5Ω (8-20 watts) & 1.2Ω (8-30 watts). Both are dual coils.

I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (both internal battery mods) with an Aspire Mini Nautilus or eLeaf GS Air M (both tanks). Videos below.
Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt.

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Welcome to ECF!

I spent money, then more money, more again...then landed on what I consider to be a solid vape setup.

What I suggest you do is listen to your gut, and understand that the vape merchants are in business to upgrade you from one device to another. Sooooo...do your research and jump to where you want to go.

There are two to three big groups in vaping. Low power devices (10 to 25 watts), mid power devices where some real choices on equipment can be made (30 to 100 watts), and higher powered vaping setups where anything goes (100+ watts). I'm in this latter group now b/c the equipment is the most flexible. I can put on an RDA(atomiser head) of one kind and vape at 55 watts, or put something formidable on (RDA known as Twisted Messes Squared) and vape at 170 watts.

Just know this. In a device that has a chip in it, that is REGULATED, there is really no such thing as entry level. Every device can be entry level or a permanent solution. There is no one size fits all.

Easy pickings:
    - one 18650 battery or two? One for low power, two for everything else, plus you get extended battery life before you need to rotate in freshly charged batteries. If TWO batteries in your device, you need to buy 4 batteries and they need to stay "married" from the day you first use them to when you dispose of them for safety sake.
    - RDA/RTA/Tank? Tank is least invasive of your time. Tank is the most simple to use and maintain. RDA/RTA will require some fiddling, which you can get around with some shortcuts. If you go RDA/RTA with exposed coils...coils that you can easily see and maintain, you can always buy a "UD Ferris Wheel" to get in to coils, without having to build them. Building coils is easy, but you may want to avoid it altogether or until you are ready to dive in and do it once.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    All I know is BDC was quite poor and nautilus BVC was released very soon after and should have finished off BDC anything, really.
    (Sorry, that sounds unfriendly)
    I would recommend a box mod and 1 or 2 medium sized tanks. You might like to consider a simple RDA as well to get into coil 'building'.

Well done to you though. It sounds incredible what you have done.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    The Aspire Nautilus (and Nautilus Mini) have better coils (BVC = bottom vertical coil) in that they can handle higher power/wattage and give better flavor.

Also look at the eLeaf GS Air Series of tanks
    • Eleaf GS Air
    • Eleaf GS Air M
    • Eleaf GS Air MS
    • GS Tank
    The GS Air M is the largest-capacity Air. Tanks & coils are inexpensive (~$10). Two different Kanthal coils: 1.5Ω (8-20 watts) & 1.2Ω (8-30 watts). Both are dual coils.

I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (both internal battery mods) with an Aspire Mini Nautilus or eLeaf GS Air M (both tanks). Videos below.
    Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt.

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg
    Good post. The only thing I will add is instead of the iStick30 go up to the iStick40. Shouldn't be much of a price difference and I think you might be happier with it. (longer battery life) Just my humble opinion. There also are a lot of holiday sales going on around this time. I will look and see if I can find any to point you in a direction of where to look. Be sure to always read the descriptions on anything product you see online before committing to any one.

:)

eta here is a Istick40 for $35.00. On checkout use the coupon code president for 25% off that price.
    Eleaf iStick 40W TC Kit - $35.00 : Rocky Mountain Vapor, The Mountain top of Electronic Cigarettes

Eleaf GS Air-M Dual Coil Tank - $12.00 : Rocky Mountain Vapor, The Mountain top of Electronic Cigarettes
    For the tank mentioned in the post

and the coils to go with
    Eleaf GS-Air Dual Coil Clearomizer - $10.00 : Rocky Mountain Vapor, The Mountain top of Electronic Cigarettes

Please be sure to use that coupon code.......great prices.....These I listed come from the same vendor.
    Not associated with this vendor is any way other than to buy good products from them at great prices.

Good luck

Last edited:

Dan40

ECF Veteran
    May 27, 2016
    Hi All, 9 days and I am still without a cig :shock:

If I make it 2 more days I will beat my record of 10 days cold turkey. I tried that 30 years ago and it was hell on earth. I was homicidal. This is much more fun. I had a few difficult moments today but I just remembered they would pass and vaped like it was a McDonald milkshake. Actually it was Halcyon Haze Northern Lights 18mg but you get the picture.

I forgot to mention (sorry) that I am an American and I have been living in Europe for many years. This means that ordering things from the US or the UK would be prohibitively expensive with shipping. Things here are not cheap either with 21% VAT (sales tax) added on to everything.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to get that Eleaf iStick TC40W I have found one here that isn´t too expensive. I will go on Monday.

I think my sense of smell is coming back just a little. I use public transportation here and I noticed some smelly people today. Yesterday I was walking down the street and a dog shi:eek: right in front of me. I thought I was going to puke. I got to get out to a park where I can smell the roses. More later....

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    I was homicidal using some of the appalling UK plastic stick products. (Thanks for that, E-lites and Blu).
    These days it's all in control. Istick 40 is my daily power source and I use tanks by Aspire, Eleaf, Kanger and, as of yesterday, Joyetech. Things are just so improved these days. I also have mechs and rebuildables as my safety net.

Maytwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2011
    SW France
    I forgot to mention (sorry) that I am an American and I have been living in Europe for many years. This means that ordering things from the US or the UK would be prohibitively expensive with shipping. Things here are not cheap either with 21% VAT (sales tax) added on to everything.
    Welcome to the forum :)

Not sure where you are in Europe but I've ordered a couple of times from Pink Mule (a Danish company based in Spain) - their shipping rates with GLS aren't too expensive, their prices are generally less than those I see in France and they're always quick and efficient.

Reactions: Dan40
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread