Dealing with the Cubis coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I think I did too. It was the one that came with the tank. Do you know what the best way to prime these .5 Cubis coils are? I have a little trouble with that too.
I keep an istick 30 & a cubis tank in my work Truck. 24/7 they don't leak.
I juice around the tiny tiny little holes. Screw it together & vape. I don't go through the priming ritual.
Vape quality = 40
Reliability = 100, so far.
Spitting,, can't make it stop.
I'm sure there are better tank systems, i just don't use them except the aforementioned 'life preserver'..

Jon05250

Oct 7, 2014
King, NC, USA
I keep an istick 30 & a cubis tank in my work Truck. 24/7 they don't leak.
I juice around the tiny tiny little holes. Screw it together & vape. I don't go through the priming ritual.
Vape quality = 40
Reliability = 100, so far.
Spitting,, can't make it stop.
I'm sure there are better tank systems, i just don't use them except the aforementioned 'life preserver'..
I'm vaping on it now with the second coil in there and it's almost the same result as the first. Great vapor production but little to no flavor. I have it set to 20 watts right now. I don't know what's going on with it.

siren.6

Aug 8, 2015
A little trick the vape shop showed me to keep from burning the cotton or coil was to loosen the lid a bit (not to the point of leaking but a slight turn - look for the bubbles to come out after you hit it a time or two). She shared this with me when I purchased the AIO. I have used this with the Cubis from the day I bought it and have had no problems with the coils at all. Not sure on the flavor...I vape flavorless. I also use a 30pg/70vg juice and dilute it with one drop of distilled water per mL. I prefer the 1.0 ohm coil at 18 watts.

Reactions: daviedog

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
How do you like your Cubis Pro? I have a Cubis and have been very happy with it. I decided to order a second but now have a Cubis Pro on the way instead.
Been vaping on the Cubis pro now for almost 2 weeks and it is an improvement on the original Cubis in every way. If you like the Cubis, you will love the Cubis Pro. I need to get over to the Cubis Pro thread and share my thoughts.

8/8 cometh

Last edited:
Reactions: siren.6

Jon05250

Oct 7, 2014
King, NC, USA
A little trick the vape shop showed me to keep from burning the cotton or coil was to loosen the lid a bit (not to the point of leaking but a slight turn - look for the bubbles to come out after you hit it a time or two). She shared this with me when I purchased the AIO. I have used this with the Cubis from the day I bought it and have had no problems with the coils at all. Not sure on the flavor...I vape flavorless. I also use a 30pg/70vg juice and dilute it with one drop of distilled water per mL. I prefer the 1.0 ohm coil at 18 watts.
Is 22 watts too much for the SS316 .5 coils or is that not enough? It seems like when I vape on my AIO everything is fine but when I put the same coils in my Cubis then it just burns up. I don't understand.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
The NO flavor, i don't get. You are getting vapor? Rite,
Do the coils taste burnt? If so, they must be rebuilt or at least rewicked. Check out ut vids.
Prime, start low etc.
If the coil performs better on one device than the other means the settings volt/amps are different.
If the cubis was rank on 2 devices, it's dead.
I use SS316 at 80watts on dual coil drippers,, yet 22 watts could cause problems on your rig.
Confusing? At first,,yet everything does fall into place. Good Luck..

Jon05250

Oct 7, 2014
King, NC, USA
The NO flavor, i don't get. You are getting vapor? Rite,
Do the coils taste burnt? If so, they must be rebuilt or at least rewicked. Check out ut vids.
Prime, start low etc.
If the coil performs better on one device than the other means the settings volt/amps are different.
If the cubis was rank on 2 devices, it's dead.
I use SS316 at 80watts on dual coil drippers,, yet 22 watts could cause problems on your rig.
Confusing? At first,,yet everything does fall into place. Good Luck..
Yea, I'm getting good vapor. The coils do not really taste burnt, I just don't really get any flavor. I'm using a 40 watt mod plus I've seen where the .5 coils do not work very well at high wattages.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I have been using the Ego Aio and I also have the Cubis tank. Have not done so well with the Cubis tank because I keep burning up the coils. I was wondering what a good wattage is with the SS316 .5 coils?

The answer is specific to you, simple explanation, start at a lower wattage, probably 15 to 20watts, take a few hits, still not right, bump it up another 5 watts, take a few hits, still not right, bump it up another 5 watts, etc stepping it up a notch at a time. Every juice, every user, every device (tank/atomizer), every pg/vg ratio is different, different flavors come alive at different wattages, so the variables involved are wide and vast. Have to work it as described above, most coils have the wattage range they are best at on their packaging or the outer barrel. Once you get to a point of a scratchy, almost feels dry lack luster flavor, you have gone to the boundary of what the coil can handle, step it down a notch or two, that will be the optimal sweet spot for that juice and tank for you, a burnt and scorched hit, toasted the coil, prime and put in a new coil you just burnt the wicking. There is no one silver bullet for all users, tastes are subjective to the end user, fruity flavors at 6mg nic 30pg/70vg at 35watts that snap and pop "Wow" to me may not pop and "Wow" to you until 45watts on the same devices.

Good luck and vape on out there.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I can't emphasize enough how important the prep is with factory coils. They tell you to put a few drops down the middle and some on the wicking holes. You gotta do more, keep putting drops on the holes until it won't absorb anymore. Then do a few primer puffs without firing it. And if it says 15-30W on the coil, you best start at like 10 until you start getting flavor with no burnt or cottony taste. Then work your way up. With my kanger subtanks sometimes it took 2-3ml's before you could fire it at your preferred settings from the previous coil.

randolphsw

May 24, 2017
I only use the ss coils in wattage mode. In the full size tank I have tried 0.5, 0.6 1.0, and 1.5 (clapton). I'm a lower wattage guy (like 8 watts). I like .6 best, but the 1.0 or 1.5 give me longer battery life and less juice usage, so I use these more often. Frankly I don't find much difference in the 1.0 and 1.5 so they're interchangeable to me. I also use the rba head and build my own in the 1.5 range.

Just got my Cubis and I haven't used the 1.0 yet, still on the 1.5. I'm a MTL and lower watt guy as well. Do you have any resources for the rba build at 1.5?
Thanks

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Just got my Cubis and I haven't used the 1.0 yet, still on the 1.5. I'm a MTL and lower watt guy as well. Do you have any resources for the rba build at 1.5?
Thanks
There are some youtube videos that show how to use the rba head. I just do a simple open coil with 30ga kanthal wire. 2mm id (inside diameter) about 6 or 7 wraps.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
There are some youtube videos that show how to use the rba head. I just do a simple open coil with 30ga kanthal wire. 2mm id (inside diameter) about 6 or 7 wraps.
How is the vape with the RBA? I have moved on from the pro but I have an itch to try building and of course there are a lot of design perks to the cubis pro.

And as I write this oh how I wish the Freemax Starr Pure had an RBA.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
How is the vape with the RBA? I have moved on from the pro but I have an itch to try building and of course there are a lot of design perks to the cubis pro.

And as I write this oh how I wish the Freemax Starr Pure had an RBA.

I don't use it so much...never a fan of the cubis. I build coils around 1.5 ohms for my wife and she seems fine with that. Can't really offer more, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread